• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
i dont give a rats *** about mk just because i havent even played a good mk yet =P
finally...sum1 who finally speaks the truth. he hasnt played a good MK yet...those are the ppl arguing that MK shouldnt be banned and they themselves dont main him . wait till you face one. it wont be pretty.

and as far as im concerned ... D3's standing chain grab IS BANNED. atleast in big tournaments it is. including all of nyc.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
HAHAH. you must be the only person on earth to see MK's launch and down smash coming. LOL. they happen at the speed of light. ur so full of it.
Well you see.... :urg:

Okay so maybe that was the wrong thing to say :ohwell:

But Metaknight will never get banned.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
this is exactly why it cant happen. i mean i hate fighting a good mk but characters arent like stages, they cant be banned
as good as fox, marth, shiek, and falco were... saying that nobody ever tried to ban them is completely redonkculous. there were many many attempt from many different place to ban all of these, just because it never came to fruitition doesnt mean it never happened.

now i was planning to come in here and flame the hell out of you but you brought up some interesting points so now i will actually put in the effort to comment seriously

the OP made alot of smart points, but he kinda shott himself in the footby saying 2 things

1. snake>MK but MK=bann because not everyone wants to play snake.
so your saying that MK should be banned because not everyone should have to play the one character that can beat him. therefore you are contradicting yourself by saying that MK is unbeatble, but he can be beat by snake. so if you can admit that MK can be beat, he doesnt need ot be banned.

2. MK> the OP> snake.
you just said that MK is broken b/c he ***** you, but snake shouldnt be banned because you dont have a problem beating him. tht just sounds like youre mad at getting beat by MK and you kinda made this thread out of butthurt feelings...
as broken as snake is, if you can beat him, you can beat MK as well. youre just not trying hard enough. im sorry but thats what i see. practice more and pick up a secondary[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, but I was merely trying to point out an arguement from the other side. Indeed, Snake seems to be the only character who stands a chance against MK, but I DISAGREE with this. I was just using a common arguement. Snakes rarely beat the MKs in MD/VA (my area, and the community most populated by MK/Snake users BY FAR). MKs can gimp the **** out of Snake.

As for your second point, I stated that because I was explaining my experience on the matter. Snake is a tough opponent, but can be beaten using MANY mid/high tier character (unlike MK). I've seen all the best players at work on these matchups and I can tell you there are a lot of characters you can use to beat a Snake. There are none to beat MK (unless you are significantly better with Snake or MK ditto).

This is getting ridiculous.

Honestly, where are the mods?

Meta Knight should not be banned. He can be beaten. Maybe not by 80% of the people in this thread, but he can be.

No one can just get better, everyone has to cry and whine about something to make themselves feel better.
Come to MD/VA and $100 mm the worst MK here. You will get two stocked. And I'll laugh.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
im not very good at playing soccer, soccer should be banned. Just because you have trouble against metaknight doesn't mean he should be banned. It isn't like metaknight is extremely overpowered. Metaknight lacks a projectile, is lightweight, requires good spacing, and sometimes has a hard time killing. You don't see snake players calling to ban diddy players from using bananas

Darkurai

Smash Master
lol..u cant ban a character just because they're broken...it can get extremely annoying and u may want to get ur controller and just start pounding the MK player with it.:chuckle:.but MK will never get fully banned everywhere..so long as mk is a char. in brawl(or in any game in the series) he cant get totally banned..(same goes for snake):ohwell:
Please be here for more than a day before you say what "can't" happen as though what you say is fact. Characters can and have been banned from fighting games.

There are a decent number of characters who can take snake without it being much of a problem. His lack of air game and gimpable recovery are two negatives that put him a decent bit lower than MK.
Like who?

Falco and Wolf? because they have a projectile that's about as gay as Snakes?

Simply saying that there is a lot of characters to beat them doesn't mean anything.

Sure it's possible, but improbable.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
OMG!! YO KID STFU!!! your so annoying. just allow ppl to debate this topic and leave it alone if you dont like it. what are you like 5?? I BET YOU ANYTHING YOU MAIN MK which is why your so upset about having this thread up. i met this kid in tournament...who is known as a very good player. always places top 5 in every weekly here in ny. I PLAYED ALL HIS OTHER CHARACTERS. ALL OF THEM. they all lost to all my other characters. including my ganon. THIS CHARACTER IS TRASH! NE1 WHO PICKS HIM AND LOSES W/ HIM SHOULD QUIT GAMES ALTOGETHER CUZ YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO SKILL.

I keep hearing MK shouldnt be banned cuz HE CAN BE BEATEN. NO **** HE CAN BE BEATEN! IF I GIVE THE CONTROL TO MY LITTLE BROTHER I CAN STILL BEAT HIS MK. IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO'S PLAYING W/ HIM. the problem w/ this character is that you have to be EXPONENTIALLY BETTER than the other player(MK USER) to beat his MK and that is not fair. its CHEAP. keep crying kid.
Actually, I'm 16. And probably a hell of a lot better then you at this game. And yeah...

I hate MK.

but i don't even remotely want to see him banned. and the idea of it is ridiculous.

I main him. Never mind my signature, the little game and watch dude next to my name...

holy crap I've never seen so much ignorance in a single post.

1. I've been to a few tournies. I haven't seen a high placed MK yet, so obviously not that well used.
2. Of course I'm talking about players of the same skill level, moron.
I LITERALLY SAW in tournament match...I PROMISE YOU, a really good DK player lose to a MK player. and all that MK player did...W/O EXAGGERATION , TORNADO AND DOWN SMASH ONLY!!!!! and he won.
If these are the kind of tournies you go to...

If you're gunna discuss it, how about reading everyones post instead of blurting out ZOMG N00B!

Fact is, this shouldn't be debated in General Brawl. This is entirely character specific.

oh, and by the way...

caps lock doesn't make you cool.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I think it's entirely rediculous to even consider banning MK before other things that should be banned.

Ban MK, but allow D3's standing infinite on Luigi, Mario, DK, Samus, and Bowser? That seems absurd to me. Not to mention the Ice climbers...
If it were up to me D3's infinite would be banned and Ice Climbers wouldn't be allowed to grab more than once.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
Srry to post again but if Metaknight was banned then why was he put in the game in the first place. If he was trully broken he would either have a diferent moveset or something.

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
as broken as snake is, if you can beat him, you can beat MK as well. youre just not trying hard enough. im sorry but thats what i see. practice more and pick up a secondary
do you know why SNAKE can be beaten alot easier than MK? that's becuz there are many gimps on SNAKE. YOU CANNOT GIMP MK. i dont care what ppl say. YOU HAVE TO SPACE W/ MK?? are you serious?

sure .. you have to perfectly space the tornado, the launch, his forward air in order for it to catch. and ppl say he's balanced cuz he's weak defensively. he can get killed fast. I PROMISE YOU, I wuz ganon and I did a forward air to MK on FD at 108% and he wuz still alive. that's STUPID

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've been to a few tournies. I haven't seen a high placed MK.
First of all, you live in Michigan. By my records there is only one good Meta Knight player in Michigan, and he lives an hour's drive from you and I've never seen you and him attend the same tournament.

Second of all, personal experience is terrible evidence for calling anything broken or not. If anyone's going to be giving any effective justification, it's going to have to be more objective than "I never saw a MK place well" or "Shuttle Loop is gay."

Srry to post again but if Metaknight was banned then why was he put in the game in the first place. If he was trully broken he would either have a diferent moveset or something.
Balance was the last thing on the game developers' minds when they developed this game.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Because Sakurai made a horribly unpolished game filled with REAL glitches (Not Melee).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh..My...God

You've got to be kidding me! You can't just ban a character because they're good! How about actually playing as Meta Knight, and learn to do all of these techniques that you say make him "broken." Then try making this thread again. But, try Character Discussion next time.
Learn MK? You don't have to learn. You use him once, and that's all you need. One day, I'm gonna go rogue and use him in a tourney instead of Olimar. I'll win using a character I've only played once. I'll make another thread and laugh at you specifically.

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
OMG!!! KID PLEASE STOP POSTING!!! YOUR POSTS MAKE NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. PROGRAMMERS MAKE MISTAKES IN FIGHTING GAMES ALL THE TIME! AND WHEN YOU COME ACROSS A CHARACTER THAT'S JUST RIDICULOUS HE GETS BANNED BY THE COMMUNITY. BELIEVE ME IF ALL PROGRAMMERS DID THEIR JOBS RIGHT, THESE THREADS WOULD NOT EXIST. LOL. your a fool, just terminate your account. no1 wants to hear you .

Baky

Smash Journeyman
im not very good at playing soccer, soccer should be banned. Just because you have trouble against metaknight doesn't mean he should be banned.
ROFL

It isn't like metaknight is extremely overpowered.
Just mildly overpowered. xD

Metaknight lacks a projectile,
tornado, nuff said

is lightweight,
Yay! One true flaw.

requires good spacing,
or did you mean to say "requires the opponent to have good spacing"?

and sometimes has a hard time killing.
On Stage:
dsmash, up+b, glide attack

Off Stage:
dair,bair, fair, up+b

You don't see snake players calling to ban diddy players from using bananas
Snake vs Diddy

MK vs EVERYONE

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
yes, we do need to ban him

Look, its never a fun issue to talk about certain characters in this way, but in this case, if there EVER was a chance for a Smash character to be banned, this clearly is it. Despite people's love of this character. Think about it, his most powerful setups are easy, and virtually given to you the entire match. Of course he could mess up and get punished, that's called human error, but guess what, it doesn't nearly deter the fact that I don't have to put myself in any position at all for you to attack me at all. I dont get why people are refusing to see this other than the fact that they want to keep playing this broken character in tourneys. NO ONE counters meta. lets be honest. And the only reason Snake can win, is because hes Snake. To make matters worse we are finding out even more broken things about him, and we still refuse to even consider banning him? I think people are getting drunk on his easy to acess powers. At least with Snake you can punisih the tilts, grab the mortar slide, and gtrab the cypher. The Only weakness Meta has is light weight, and that is NOT good enough. And the funny thing is we dont even know where to properly place characters in tiers (Sonic, Yoshi, Pokemon Trainer) because these skilled players cant risk it due to the influx of metas. Right now the tier list is basically a list of characters that no one will in their right mind play because of Metas rampage. He single handedly is alienating the other characters from any decent representation.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
First of all, you live in Michigan. By my records there is only one good Meta Knight player in Michigan, and he lives an hour's drive from you and I've never seen you and him attend the same tournament.

Second of all, personal experience is terrible evidence for calling anything broken or not. If anyone's going to be giving any effective justification, it's going to have to be more objective than "I never saw a MK place well" or "Shuttle Loop is gay."

Balance was the last thing on the game developers' minds when they developed this game.

That'd explain why I've never seen one...

I was using that in defense his popularity, because all I'm hearing is "he always places high at tournies" when clearly, he doesn't "always."

It just bothers me. Brawl already has enough turn offs against it. It doesn't need a bunch of ignorant players ridiculously explaining why MK should be banned.

It'll never happen. And so long as people continue to rag on this game, I'll be here to defend it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I agree with this thread. In tournaments, when sombody faces a metakinght player and isn't snake, they usually lose. I main Jigglypuff and Diddy Kong. Okay, Jigglypuff gets ***** by metaknight, i should go diddy kong then, o wait, diddy kong gets ***** by MK also. This is basically saying, okay if u fight a metaknight ur not going to win. So, you look at the rest of the cast. The only way for me to beat metaknight is to either main Snake or Metaknight. Yes, people have beaten MK with Lucario or other characters ect ect. But thats them, were not all amazingly good as them to beat a pro MK with those characters. So for most peoples cases like myself, wether you an okay smasher to an almost pro non maining snake or metaknight player. Your going to lose to a metaknight in a tournament unless if you main snake or you a better metaknight player.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
IC's that can't Grab? lol

I love your sig.
LOL yeah thanks.

do you know why SNAKE can be beaten alot easier than MK? that's becuz there are many gimps on SNAKE. YOU CANNOT GIMP MK. i dont care what ppl say. YOU HAVE TO SPACE W/ MK?? are you serious?

sure .. you have to perfectly space the tornado, the launch, his forward air in order for it to catch. and ppl say he's balanced cuz he's weak defensively. he can get killed fast. I PROMISE YOU, I wuz ganon and I did a forward air to MK on FD at 108% and he wuz still alive. that's STUPID
WTF DUDE I DID NOT SAY THAT

Seriously, that wasn't my post. Don't misquote.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
If you ban metaknight the next best charcter will take his place and so on until we have to ban every character in the game.

Meta is not going to be banned.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Personally, I do not like to admit that a character is "too good." Rather, I try to find any weakness he may have, and exploit them. MK's weaknesses are:

Limited kill moves - he must approach a few very specific ways if he wishes to take a stock.

Diagnol attacks - an attack by a small frame character (haven't tested it on the big ones yet) from an angle will not easily be punished. Watch out for Up-B however.

Projectile spam - MK has no projectile. He must get close to hit you. He makes up for this with good ground speed, but somewhat lacking air speed. Projectile users who can force MK back have a chance.

Limited air movement - his air speed is slow, and can be abused occationally by characters with a faster air speed. This is VERY hard to do.

Range - good spacing can occationally give MK problems (like everyone else).

Battle plan for MK - spam until MK's approach. Ground - short hop an air through his shield, continue a short-hopping barage, land behind him always and attempt grabs when possible. Get him away, and make sure your attacks hit at the tip when on the ground. When he is far away - spam as much as humanly possible, and abuse projectiles until he is forced to return. When MK is in the air, spacing is essential, and if possible, an attack from beneath him and to the side would be ideal (A tether attack would be the ideal example). If MK uses a short hop aerial, this is the most important time to remember spacing. It is essential to out-range his air with a ground attack. Or you could try shielding, and seeing what he does next, depending on the relative height of the shorthop to you character. You might be able to shield-grab MK, or take advantage of a small mistake in short-hop timing which allows you to attack from a shielded aerial.

ROFL

Just mildly overpowered. xD

tornado, nuff said

Yay! One true flaw.

or did you mean to say "requires the opponent to have good spacing"?

On Stage:
dsmash, up+b, glide attack

Off Stage:
dair,bair, fair, up+b

Snake vs Diddy

MK vs EVERYONE
1. Meta Knight is heavy for a light character, and he can live past 150% with proper DI

2. Because you clan plan out a method to kill him doesn't mean you can.

3. MK's d-smash can knock you off the stage and then he can gimp you with his Dair or whatever he wants.

4. He can Mach tornado tech chase an opponent.

5. His Nair does nearly 25% damage and can KO.

6. Most of his aerials can go ito multiples.

I can name several advantages with Meta Knight. But since you obviously know his weaknesses, please play me on Wi-Fi right now if possible. I must see your tactics.

M.K

Level 55
I want to slap myself and wake up when i read posts like this.

Sakurai doesnt have the competitive mindset in total "ZOMG TOP PRIORITY" as we think. He doesn't care if one character *****, he should have gave Ganon his sword.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ok let me say this clearly so the tweens can understand it: Your personal experiences with MK, whether you got ***** by one or you never saw one do well at your local tournament, are meaningless. We're talking about high-level tournament play here. MK has no bad or even matchups at a high level.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Brawl already has enough turn offs against it. It doesn't need a bunch of ignorant players ridiculously explaining why MK should be banned.
The reason a lot of these players are calling for MK's ban is because they've seen a lot of crazy stuff MK can pull out. The ones who are truly ignorant are the ones who are claiming that MK isn't all that great or that he has numerous exploitable weaknesses.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
1. Meta Knight is heavy for a light character, and he can live past 150% with proper DI

2. Because you clan plan out a method to kill him doesn't mean you can.

3. MK's d-smash can knock you off the stage and then he can gimp you with his Dair or whatever he wants.

4. He can Mach tornado tech chase an opponent.

5. His Nair does nearly 25% damage and can KO.

6. Most of his aerials can go ito multiples.

I can name several advantages with Meta Knight. But since you obviously know his weaknesses, please play me on Wi-Fi right now if possible. I must see your tactics.
Why did you quote me and respond this way? I said nothing that contradicts your statements.

Edit: But personally I do not believe he should be banned. At least not this early. I'd expect it to happen one day though. The initial diversity in brawl was something to enjoy but a character of this calibur will surely ruin it. I myself have worked up a MK. Its far from difficult.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
The character is just broken

I'm not saying it's not possible to actually beat a Metknight
Way to contradict yourself.

Oh and we should ban Ice Climbers because of their 0 to death chaingrab lol

Characters will never be banned unless they CANNOT BE DEFEATED. Thread over.

JCav

Smash Lord
If you ban metaknight the next best charcter will take his place and so on until we have to ban every character in the game.
this is all there is to it. you ban one character, you ban another and then another. and then what ban counterpicking? come on this is ridiculous.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
The reason a lot of these players are calling for MK's ban is because they've seen a lot of crazy stuff MK can pull out. The ones who are truly ignorant are the ones who are claiming that MK isn't all that great or that he has numerous exploitable weaknesses.
And saying he has none is far worse.

I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm not saying he isn't the best character in the game. I'm simply saying he shouldn't be banned.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
To look at the issue from a different angle:

If Mk is truely "broken," then banning him would be in the interest of the competitive community. It takes away from the spirit of competition when the player of lesser skills is the victor because of obvious over-empowerment from the use of a character.

I think it's safe to say that a Captain Falcon mainer who skill could be considered a 4/5 (yes, i totally just made up that scale for measuring player skill. so sue me) will lose to an MK mainer whose skill could be measured as 3/5 rougly 99 out of 100 matches. The better player loses for no other reason than the fact that MK is severly (or moderately...or not at all) overpowered. This is turn takes away from competitiveness. Yes, i've brought this point up before, but i'm not important enough for anyone to care or remember. Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom