• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
metaknight is the shiek of brawl to me...everyone jump on that character so fast.......i really hate metaknight to tell you truth..

Grunt

Smash Master
Plenty of people have been able to reference Sirlin and then give their thoughts from there and on what points they agreed with which justified their linking to Sirlin.
I hope to god you're still not talking about me.
o.0

+ it seems most people have finally figured it out, that he's not so unstoppable no one else can win.

That, or all the Ban-happy scrubs have left.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
If you think meta is so good that he automatically gets the advantaged over the other player, then main meta.

If not, then accept it and just try to beat the odds.

That's my opinion lawls

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
maybe you need to read this thread.
many reasons have already been listed explaining the same things as Sirlin.
You need to stop being so uptight. Just because ****ing brawl noobs can't take anything anyone here says seriously, outside sources NEED to be used to get simple facts THROUGH THEIR THICK ****ING SKULLS.
These critera are used throughout THE ENTIRE COMPETITIVE FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITY, not just smash.
SIRLIN.NET
Dude, this is a losing battle. You're up against one of the more respected members of SWF, and you just keep saying the exact same thing over and over. You can't use other people's work as your opinion.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
You need to stop being so uptight. Just because ****ing brawl noobs can't take anything anyone here says seriously, outside sources NEED to be used to get simple facts THROUGH THEIR THICK ****ING SKULLS.
These critera are used throughout THE ENTIRE COMPETITIVE FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITY, not just smash.
SIRLIN.NET
Vulcan do you even know what your arguing about anymore?

G&W

'nuff said
GW has a better matchup than almost every other character but he is not a counter.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
At the tournament level, meta will always have the advantage if used competently.

I fully support this ban.
I'm with you, sorta.

I vote we ban every male character in the game.

I've been reading this thread since its inception. I'm sorry if I didn't make my opinion on this issue clear, because I usually don't put in subjectively-based opinions given my stance on those. But the obvious answer is - more Meta Knights need to place well for anything to be conclusive. Too bad I've been arguing against people who were stupid about their opinions, at least half of whom were arguing against the ban (seriously, where are all the intelligent regulars who don't want MK banned?).

Also, good job linking to someone's website. Want to go ahead and explain to said thickheaded noobs that you intended them to then go to the link on his site to read the online version of his "Playing to Win" book, and specifically read the chapter on banning things in a game? Oh wait, nevermind.

Sirlin.net - enough of a reason to close ANY thread ever

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Vulcan do you even know what your arguing about anymore?
Ankoku got pissy because people were linking to Sirlin and apparently, that isnot enough to justify ones opinion, even though they were stated in earlier posts.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Thanks ankoku, obviously one of the few intelligent people here.

I agree MK is gay and the best and potentially broken, but nothing has been proven and as of now, top players seem to beat him just fine.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'm with you, sorta.

I vote we ban every male character in the game.
ROB is genderless, so I'm going to back you up on this one (sorry wario, it was fun.)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm on the "let's wait a few months" team. He isn't quite winning enough tournaments, there isn't quite enough evidence yet.

However, i fear that some will drop the character in fear of investing in a doomed character. Then this decreased popularity could decrease his tournament results, without decreasing the actual advantages the players using him have.
I would urge that the evaluaters make sure this is not the case before they declare him innocent.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Ban is a definite possibility but first wait for the metagame to evolve. I have beaten good mks by pushing my tlink to his limits (i think i beat an mk once with link) but i feel that i am at a large disadvantage. Luckily my bombs stop his tornado but he is near impossible to edgeguard and his attack speed is Godly. Snakes only pose minimal threat to me because i can outspam them( i hate how they never die). Mk is a very popular character so banning him needs some consideration and we might start a banning fever by banning mk. Who's to say players won't start trying to ban snake afterwards because he's "next in line to be considered broken". And even if we ban mk i think it should only be in tournaments where money or a prize is involved because normal casual players don't really know about tiers and exploit mk and won't be in the real competitive tournaments where pros go.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Why don't we stop looking at this from the point of view of "There's a slight chance MK won't be running every tournament a year from now" and instead think about how much the tournament scene would be enriched by the exclusion of MK.

At high level (nothing else matters, and if you don't play brawl at high level and go to tourneys please kindly stop posting here), MK has no counters or even matchups, and is in fact most characters' worst matchup. How many more characters would be tourney viable if MK was banned? How much more exciting and competitive and varied would the tournament scene be if MK was banned? Just think about these things.

Also, a ban would definitely NOT create a domino effect. Every other character in the game, even Snake and DDD, has bad matchups, regardless of tier.

Lastly I'd like you to really ask yourself, why is a ban impossible? We ban items and stages without a second thought. Why is banning a character such a big deal if it would make the tournament scene so much better?

It has nothing to do with the intentions of the creators of the game. If it were up to them we'd be playing on every stage for 2 minutes with items on. We fixed their game to make it more competitively viable. There is absolutely NO difference between fixing these things and removing a character with the same purpose in mind. You people really need to open your mind.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
i'm So Sick Of People That Never Played Sf Comparing Metaknight To Akuma.

Akuma Broke Street Fighter. He Wasn't A Tough Match-up. He Wasn't Really Good. He Was The Only Character In The Game. With His Aerial Fireballs And Fast Movement Speed He Could Simply Outzone Every Character In The Game. The Only Finals Were Akuma Vs Akuma And Then They Finally Banned Him. Might I Add It's Only A Soft Ban, Some Players Still Use Him It's Just Considered Dishonorable, At Least That's How The Sf Tournies In Japan Are. Noone Uses Him Because Of The Shame Of Winning With Him, He Broke The Game, He Did Things The Game Engine Simply Couldn't Handle.

Nice Try Though.

******** Mk Is Like Shin Akuma In Sf That They Banned Dude Thats What Ppl Probably Are Referring To.

Grunt

Smash Master
Why don't we stop looking at this from the point of view of "There's a slight chance MK won't be running every tournament a year from now" and instead think about how much the tournament scene would be enriched by the exclusion of MK.
Why not Snake? he's winning more tournaments.

There is no knowing if MK will become this unstoppable force, but if it does, Then we should ban him. if not, we have gotten rid of a perfectly fine character for no reason. This is truly a scrub mentality, when you want to ban something with no evidence behind it. the only real way to know if said character is unstoppable, is if he dominates tournaments, which he isn't.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman

At high level (nothing else matters, and if you don't play brawl at high level and go to tourneys please kindly stop posting here), MK has no counters or even matchups, and is in fact most characters' worst matchup. How many more characters would be tourney viable if MK was banned? How much more exciting and competitive and varied would the tournament scene be if MK was banned? Just think about these things.

Also, a ban would definitely NOT create a domino effect. Every other character in the game, even Snake and DDD, has bad matchups, regardless of tier.

Lastly I'd like you to really ask yourself, why is a ban impossible? We ban items and stages without a second thought. Why is banning a character such a big deal if it would make the tournament scene so much better?

It has nothing to do with the intentions of the creators of the game. If it were up to them we'd be playing on every stage for 2 minutes with items on. We fixed their game to make it more competitively viable. There is absolutely NO difference between fixing these things and removing a character with the same purpose in mind. You people really need to open your mind.
I don't go to offline tournaments(yet) but i do play competitively. I completely agree but we should wait until the metagame evolves and more tournament results are obtained. If mk is seen to be near unstoppable then i will completely agree.

Crank

Smash Apprentice
That'd explain why I've never seen one...

I was using that in defense his popularity, because all I'm hearing is "he always places high at tournies" when clearly, he doesn't "always."

It just bothers me. Brawl already has enough turn offs against it. It doesn't need a bunch of ignorant players ridiculously explaining why MK should be banned.

It'll never happen. And so long as people continue to rag on this game, I'll be here to defend it.
For one thing, the people here aren't ragging on the game, they are ragging on a certain part of the game that happens to be ubar-retardedly broken. You can't punish him, and if you can't punish his moves, how can you win?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Why not Snake? he's winning more tournaments.

There is no knowing if MK will become this unstoppable force, but if it does, Then we should ban him. if not, we have gotten rid of a perfectly fine character for no reason. This is truly a scrub mentality, when you want to ban something with no evidence behind it. the only real way to know if said character is unstoppable, is if he dominates tournaments, which he isn't.
We got rid of items without giving them a chance either. Also look at my last 2 paragraphs, I think you're missing my point.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Claps

why Don't We Stop Looking At This From The Point Of View Of "there's A Slight Chance Mk Won't Be Running Every Tournament A Year From Now" And Instead Think About How Much The Tournament Scene Would Be Enriched By The Exclusion Of Mk.

At High Level (nothing Else Matters, And If You Don't Play Brawl At High Level And Go To Tourneys Please Kindly Stop Posting Here), Mk Has No Counters Or Even Matchups, And Is In Fact Most Characters' Worst Matchup. How Many More Characters Would Be Tourney Viable If Mk Was Banned? How Much More Exciting And Competitive And Varied Would The Tournament Scene Be If Mk Was Banned? Just Think About These Things.

Also, A Ban Would Definitely Not Create A Domino Effect. Every Other Character In The Game, Even Snake And Ddd, Has Bad Matchups, Regardless Of Tier.

Lastly I'd Like You To Really Ask Yourself, Why Is A Ban Impossible? We Ban Items And Stages Without A Second Thought. Why Is Banning A Character Such A Big Deal If It Would Make The Tournament Scene So Much Better?

It Has Nothing To Do With The Intentions Of The Creators Of The Game. If It Were Up To Them We'd Be Playing On Every Stage For 2 Minutes With Items On. We Fixed Their Game To Make It More Competitively Viable. There Is Absolutely No Difference Between Fixing These Things And Removing A Character With The Same Purpose In Mind. You People Really Need To Open Your Mind.

Thank You Man You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth Man **** I Wish There Were More Ppl Like You. **** I Am Surprised That Ppl Like You Exist In Md. Wow

Please Dude Make A Poll For This **** And Then If The End Result Is To Ban Him Take That Info To The Backroom Where The ***it Moderators Are So They Can Deny The Obvious.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Thank You Man You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth Man **** I Wish There Were More Ppl Like You. **** I Am Surprised That Ppl Like You Exist In Md. Wow

Please Dude Make A Poll For This **** And Then If The End Result Is To Ban Him Take That Info To The Backroom Where The ***it Moderators Are So They Can Deny The Obvious.
I am the anti-Plank :)

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
why bann items

Items Arent That Bad Ppl They Kinda Balance The Game Out. I Say This If You Keep Mk Keep Items On If There Arent Any Items Ban Mk Plain And Simple.
Smashballs Make The Game Balanced Too Look At Snake Mk And D3's Final Smashes It Takes Skills To Kill With Them Plus They Arent That Good With Items As Appose To A Sonic Whos Final Smash Is Good And Is Fairly Good With Items But As Far As Fighitng And Killing Is Not As Good As Mk,snake Or D3 Overall Its A Balanced Match.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Please, JCaesar and Thumbs, just give it a rest. There will be no ban because there's "not enough MKs winning tourneys", and "he's can be defeated". There's no way to refute your points because everyone is thinking the same thing (with the exception of the 08ers).

MK has no bad matchups, and is more than half of the cast's WORST matchup by far. He has no weakness to speak of, and takes minimal skill to learn. Everyone agrees with this, but it'll take time for him to be seen as "breaking the game".

For the record, I didn't agree with this thread from the title, but from page 1 to this one, everything thus far has made sense. Now the only things I don't agree with (and haven't for a long while) are the God-awful reasons and conditions on which things are banned.

I swear, you BR members cling to Sirlin's guide like an effing bible.

Crank

Smash Apprentice
Items Arent That Bad Ppl They Kinda Balance The Game Out. I Say This If You Keep Mk Keep Items On If There Arent Any Items Ban Mk Plain And Simple.
Smashballs Make The Game Balanced Too Look At Snake Mk And D3's Final Smashes It Takes Skills To Kill With Them Plus They Arent That Good With Items As Appose To A Sonic Whos Final Smash Is Good And Is Fairly Good With Items But As Far As Fighitng And Killing Is Not As Good As Mk,snake Or D3 Overall Its A Balanced Match.
As soon as you said that items balanced the game I /facepalm'd.

:034:

Smash Hero
Every character should be banned except for Ganondorf.

Time to step up and learn a real character, scrubs.

Grunt

Smash Master
We got rid of items without giving them a chance either. Also look at my last 2 paragraphs, I think you're missing my point.
Items are randomly spawning power ups. Randomness=Uncompetitive because worse players can win consistently. No MK would make it more competitive? of course not, or we weould see a bunch of random MK's placing high, but it's consistently M2K and other pros winning.

Let's say your argument is plausible. Well, lets ban Chun-Li in 3S then too. i mean, she's amazing, not Winning all the tournies mind you, but she's gay, so lets oust her. oh, and Sentinel from MVC2. people have won without Sentinel, but cmon, He is such a gay character, let's ban him as well.

See how ******** that is? you need evidence, not just the hope of balancing the game.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice

This was exactly what i was talking about earlier. The falco player adapted to his opponent's spamtacular playstyle and started making a comeback....although he didn't use lazer on the first stock and was just plain slow on the uptake he still saw the pattern. A better player would catch on quickly. MK does not need to be banned.

Edit: to those who overlooked my first post in this thread
Yes Mk is a pain in the ***, yes he is top tier, but he shouldn't and won't be banned. I'd like to take a second to point out a built in flaw in every character in the game. The human controlling the character. All any fighting game boils down to the ability to read the opponent and act accordingly. After that comes the specific characters and the options every second of the game. Great characters have a multitude of options at any given second for any given situation. It's up to the player to pick the best option at the moment and run with it, but every character has limitations.

While MK has a large number of options at any given point people still make mistakes. Knowing how to put your opponent in an unfavorable position and keep them there is what brawl is about. Know how your opponent likes to kill with MK; does he go for gimps? recover in obscure ways. Does he love the down smash a bit too much? Jump and punish with the dair, or sheild roll dodge backwards and act accordingly. In any match people tend to fall into certain habits if they believe it'll win the match for them. Watching your opponent's habbits and using that aganist them can still turn around a game and even flip matchups.

So For those too lazy to read a couple paragraphs, humans limit the ability of the character and knowing your opponent's limitations and advatages are half the battle.

Also let me take a moment to say good **** Baky. Your comments really prove that this immature discrimination aganist 08s is misplaced.

thumbswayup

Smash Master

Everyone should read this post. In fact, I'm putting it in the OP.

Hmmm, maybe I should make a poll for this.

As a Sonic user, I completely understand where you're coming from and kinda agree with you and I'm the last guy to advocate using items. It seems that a character like Sonic is almost nothing on the tournament scene, but if smash balls were on he'd actually go even with characters like MK and DDD (and my god, do I hate DDD). Going Super Sonic is hella fun and I'd send those MKs to the depths of hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom