• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunt

Smash Master
almost everyone who has said not to ban MK hasnt really posted anything that is intelligent. give me some real reasons why he shouldnt be banned. although i think it is still to early to determine whether or not to ban chars, i have yet to hear a plausible reason to accept MK in the tournament community other than he is not winning all the tournaments.
Huh, well too bad then, because that's the criteria for every fighting game in existence.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
A good tradesman never blames his tools.
Im sure the designers of the game made a character to be able to beat MK, or if worst comes to worst be MK yourself.

almost everyone who has said not to ban MK hasnt really posted anything that is intelligent. give me some real reasons why he shouldnt be banned. although i think it is still to early to determine whether or not to ban chars, i have yet to hear a plausible reason to accept MK in the tournament community other than he is not winning all the tournaments.
Why should anyone have to give you a reason why? Simple logic would tell you that doing this would have a domino effect. MK isn't broken beyond being able to be beaten, so there is no need. Why give a reason when you should fully understand the circumstances of why this would be a bad idea.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
As a lowly and pathetic '08er, I'll try my very hardest to make a thoughtful contribution to the discussion.

1968 was considered the "Year of the Pitcher" in baseball history, mostly because of the dominance of Bob Gibson, who went 22-9 that year with a 1.12 ERA. (He was awarded MVP). As a result of this, Major League Baseball decided to lower the height of the pitcher's mound by 5 inches, giving the pitcher less of an advantage over hitters.

There is a point to that little tid-bit. They didn't ban Bob Gibson from baseball, despite the fact that he was owning practically every opponent he faced. Instead, they adjusted the playing field to give him less of an advantage. Brawl has a handicap feature which, if implemented into competitive play, might do wonders in balancing out the characters.
NO. These handicaps will not work, as I've stated before. They'll just make brawl stupider than it is already, with so much character specific match ups you'll have to quit you're job to play decent.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Azen's Lucario beat M2K's metaknight...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FWMDj_wys

however, this match supposedly took place on May 25th... maybe it wasn't known that MK was soo broken.

My point is this, if M2K's MK can be beaten, and M2K is like the MJ of Smash, then maybe he shouldn't be banned.

crownvick

Smash Apprentice
(baltimore) Ok Nobody Move And Nobody Gets Hurt U
This is exactly my point. When something annoys you, instead of telling other people what they should do, do something yourself.

However, if you decide to do something yourself (ban a character, play with items on 75m) don't be surprised if no one shows up.
well them we found a solution. Tournament host should put in bold lettering whats banned and whats not. And if u dont like it find another 1 or make ur own. Metaknight will not get banned no matter how much we want him to. Anyways were are the metaknight useres to defend there characters?????????????

SothE700k

Smash Lord
U cant just bann a characters technique. Dont forget ur playing smash where there is a finitive amount of things you can do. Metaknights whole gameplay is cheap. Banning one move causes spam for the next. So banning all of his moves leaves u with banning him. Anyway we just should have metaknights banned in certain peoples tournaments.
He didn't mean ban all of his techniques. Just the Dimensional Cape stall.
And those will be tournaments where it'll be a no show.

C'MON. Just learn to play the game and beat Metaknight people. Think how much better of a Smash player you'll be, knowing how to beat him!

P.S. I don't play Street Fighter so don't pull any kind of s*** on me.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I'm so sick of people that never played SF comparing Metaknight to Akuma.

Akuma BROKE street fighter. He wasn't a tough match-up. He wasn't really good. He was the only character in the game. With his Aerial Fireballs and fast movement speed he could simply outzone EVERY character in the game. The only Finals were Akuma vs Akuma and then they finally banned him. Might I add it's only a soft ban, some players still use him it's just considered dishonorable, at least that's how the SF tournies in Japan are. Noone uses him because of the shame of winning with him, He broke the game, he did things the game engine simply couldn't handle.

Nice try though.
Just requoting myself because someone used him again as an example.

Darkurai

Smash Master
A good tradesman never blames his tools.
Im sure the designers of the game made a character to be able to beat MK, or if worst comes to worst be MK yourself.
You can't honestly think Sakurai used a competitive mindset while balancing the game. We're essentially undoing a great deal of his balance by using our advanced playstyles

Grunt

Smash Master
KevinM said:
I'm so sick of people that never played SF comparing Metaknight to Akuma.

Akuma BROKE street fighter. He wasn't a tough match-up. He wasn't really good. He was the only character in the game. With his Aerial Fireballs and fast movement speed he could simply outzone EVERY character in the game. The only Finals were Akuma vs Akuma and then they finally banned him. Might I add it's only a soft ban, some players still use him it's just considered dishonorable, at least that's how the SF tournies in Japan are. Noone uses him because of the shame of winning with him, He broke the game, he did things the game engine simply couldn't handle.

Nice try though.
This + SIRLIN.NET

jyuuberu

Smash Journeyman
playing MK just so you dont lose in a tourney isnt how smash should be played.

Then you can play smash how you want to play it. If I think stalling out a match for the last thirty seconds is better than trying to ko my opponent then I can do what I want because I paid in money for a chance to win money.

Grunt

Smash Master
Linking sirlin without elaborating on your own takes some talent.
too bad this is like my third post about it.

go ahead and find the original.

not to mention it's a direct link to the "Why thing are banned" page, so please, everyone, go read it.

gallax

Smash Hero
Why should anyone have to give you a reason why? Simple logic would tell you that doing this would have a domino effect. MK isn't broken beyond being able to be beaten, so there is no need. Why give a reason when you should fully understand the circumstances of why this would be a bad idea.
im not advocating a ban here. im trying to get the side that says to not ban a character to come up with some info to backup their opinions. and why should you give me a reason? maybe because thousands of smashers are gonna read this thread and they are wondering the same thing i am and no one is asking you the questions i am. maybe because i am a fellow smasher who just wants to be convinced not to ban MK. maybe because you have no way of backing up your claim of not banning.

ur reason is that there would be a domino effect. what would happen if MK got banned? snake wouldnt be banned. i can think of 3 characters to use against him off the back. D3 would be banned. faco would be banned. ROB wouldnt be banned. only MK would.

what the general trend is now at tourneys are more and more MK users are showing up. give it another year and you will see MK dominating at almost every tournament. of course they wont win EVERY tournament cuz there will be **** good players who use other characters to their fullest. that being said, MK is not bannable yet. but in the future you might think otherwise.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The next person to directly link Sirlin needs to get punched in the gut and told to learn to craft his own opinion, reputable reference or not.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Good God, This is ridiculous.
Last time I checked, MK wasn't winning every tournament everywhere.
Thumbs, you should be ashamed. you're basing this ban not off of undeniably crazy tourney results, but on the fact that "I can't beat him."

True, MK is a *****, and clearly better than everyone else int he game, but he is obviously not stopping other characters from winning.

seriously, you guys, read some Sirlin.
I was just using my tournament experience as an example. Plus, I actually watch EVERY tourny in MD/VA as it's always a MK winning or placing 2nd. I also see MK camping/ledge camping/spamming/stalling FAR too much. He needs to be removed in order for this game to be more enjoyable.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Azen's Lucario beat M2K's metaknight...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FWMDj_wys

however, this match supposedly took place on May 25th... maybe it wasn't known that MK was soo broken.

My point is this, if M2K's MK can be beaten, and M2K is like the MJ of Smash, then maybe he shouldn't be banned.
Please stop mentioning this.

Azen = Azen

His characters are in a tier of their own.

The next person to directly link Sirlin needs to get punched in the gut and told to learn to craft his own opinion, reputable reference or not.
<3 Ankoku

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
because two people can't have the same opinion?
Are you saying a link to someone else's words is your opinion? If they are, please get out of here, because you are no more human than a forum spambot.

jyuuberu

Smash Journeyman
I was just using my tournament experience as an example. Plus, I actually watch EVERY tourny in MD/VA as it's always a MK winning or placing 2nd. I also see MK camping/ledge camping/spamming/stalling FAR too much. He needs to be removed in order for this game to be more enjoyable.
If you're watching EVERY tournament is those two states you'd also realize that not every match is determined by percent when the timer hits zero. I haven't watched EVERY match like you have but I'm assuming that there are players who are consistently stalling and players who are consistently not stalling. They are not the same just because they use that same character.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Just requoting myself because someone used him again as an example.
KevinM is too smart.

I suppose the point has already been made, but since Metaknights aren't sweeping tournament results, there's really no evidence to ban him. I do think that Metaknight is far and away the best character, and borderline broken. However, bans need to be based on facts, not opinions.

gallax

Smash Hero
for those who are in the sbr and reading this, what seems to be the general concensus for now about banning MK and/or are they gonna wait longer to make a decision since its a relatively new game?

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
y is everyone complaining.........get use to it...metaknight is not hot ****......in the future metaknight will become so easy to beat...learn the matchup with your main...no prob.....
Just try beating a good-no, a HALF-DECENT MK with Falcon. Just try. You WILL lose. MK's aerials, neutral A, specials, tilts, dash attack, recovery attacks (getting up from the ledge and tripping), recovery, etc. are all much better than Falcon's. What advantage does Falcon have? More weight, although MK will probably survive at higher percentages due to his amazing and ungimpable recovery, and Falcon can run slightly faster. That's IT.

Do you see how horrible this matchup is?

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Are you saying a link to someone else's words is your opinion? If they are, please get out of here, because you are no more human than a forum spambot.
Oh, I'm sorry, I must have forgotten about the forum rule that states:
Nobody can share an opinion with anyone else, especially if that someone else has their own website.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
KevinM is too smart.

I suppose the point has already been made, but since Metaknights aren't sweeping tournament results, there's really no evidence to ban him. I do think that Metaknight is far and away the best character, and borderline broken. However, bans need to be based on facts, not opinions.
Sadly, I'm going to have to agree.

...but like I said before, I do expect MK's ban to be reviewed in the future.

Grunt

Smash Master
I suppose the point has already been made, but since Metaknights aren't sweeping tournament results, there's really no evidence to ban him.
HEY ANKOKU

He has the same opinion as Sirlin, so he's obviously lying, right?

not to mention my first post gave a clear reason, with no link to Sirlin.

Oh yeah, and
you can win with other characters, so why are we banning MK again?

boss8

Smash Hero
Just try beating a good-no, a HALF-DECENT MK with Falcon. Just try. You WILL lose. MK's aerials, neutral A, specials, tilts, dash attack, recovery attacks (getting up from the ledge and tripping), recovery, etc. are all much better than Falcon's. What advantage does Falcon have? More weight, although MK will probably survive at higher percentages due to his amazing and ungimpable recovery, and Falcon can run slightly faster. That's IT.

Do you see how horrible this matchup is?
exactly falcon is horriable...but fun to play......

try beating a metaknight with weegee or mario.... solution.....

PLAY A REALLY GOOD METAKNIGHT FOR ABOUT 5 HOURS STRAIGHT......U SHOULD BE SET....

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Apparently, his moves need to be extremely precise to be effective.

I really don't notice any significance in playing different characters online. You can function the same if you are accustomed to lag.
this is not really true. playing a character who requires precise timing and aim like sheik is totally screwed over with lag.

also, the ability to aim jigglypuff's pound up and down becomes suicidal. sometimes the lag will cause the input of left/right to not actually occur at all; just the up/down portion... which means offstage your jigglypuff will use sing and die. onstage (which is when you'll be pounding downwards), you'll use rest and be victim to fully charged smashes, etc.

however, characters with large hitboxes and hard-hitting attacks do very well. your opponents airdodge could be thrown off by lag and BAM, ike fsmash (and the like).

not that this is relevant at all to the banning of characters, etc.... since wifi has really nothing to do with tourney-play...

BIG FONT AND CAPS MAKES WHAT I SAY COUNT MORE
as soon as i read that, i scrolled up to see "SEXY MARIO VIDS!!!" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom