• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Let me be more clear.
I'm not going to take a side on this argument. But people are saying things like that. And those people are not contributing to the argument, they're contributing to the "this thread is getting to the point where I just want to leave GBD forever."
You're one of those people btw.
Why shouldn't MK be banned?
AND IF YOU SAY "JUST GET BETTER", I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE.
Just get better.

I don't claim to know anything about competitive play, but banning an entire character is over the top. Items are banned, stages are banned, and now you want to ban CHARACTERS too?

Here's a thought. Why not ban everyone BUT MK. Then everyone has a chance to win.

I guess I don't know where you're coming from. You said "prove that MK is easy to beat." Does that mean you want someone to play YOU with MK? ONLINE?

And what is the point anyway? Are you hoping to lose?
What i'm saying is it really doesn't matter who you play with. You can function with your characters if you time ahead. It's actually quite necessary when playing online.

And regarding the challenge, I wanted to play those who claim they have some improbable strategy to beat MK; exploiting his weaknesses. I want someone to play me with any character and see how the match would go down.

The only characters that MK has ever had a challenge against are himself and Snake.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Just get better.

I don't claim to know anything about competitive play, but banning an entire character is over the top. Items are banned, stages are banned, and now you want to ban CHARACTERS too?

Here's a thought. Why not ban everyone BUT MK. Then everyone has a chance to win.
Characters can and have been banned in other games. Akuma is a prime example.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you don't know anything about competitive play, why are you speaking as though you do?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
And the fact that everyone advocating the closing of this thread has an '08 join date (and one idiot with a Dec 07 one).

..thanks for that.

Don't think I'm new to this game. So what if I joined late? I've played Smash since N64.

Using a join date as a means of reliability is ridiculous.

But whatever. I'm coming to realize that no matter where you go, there's always that group of people who can't get over something. Complain all you people want. He'll never be banned.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Your A Nub Planink

Theres already a thread about this in the backroom, nub.

But yea basically MK cant be banned because where do you see MK's across the country swiping tournaments? Only m2k wins tournies with MK, and thats because its m2k. Hell, Wario has been winning more tournaments than MK.

Edge stalling is annoying but TONS of chars can do it, not just MK. Remember my Pika thumbs? I can do the same thing with multiple characters, pika, rob, dk, etc. It's not just MK. Brawl is stupid as a whole.

However, you just have to be smart to get around it. Azen had no issues at all getting around edgecamp, so no johns.

Is Metaknight the best character? Yes, he is. Is he bannable? Hell no. Just like in melee fox/marth ***** everyone else and the best players ALWAYS used those 2 characters, MK ***** in brawl. Except for the fact that MK players havent been winning every single tournament.

MK is at the most as broken as fox/marth were in melee, but probably even less so. Why is it nobody ever tried to ban fox or marth in me;ee, then?

1ST OFF MK SHOULD BE BANNED .
2ND THE REASON ALOT OF MKS LOSE CAUSE THEY ARE TOO CONSUMED IN JUST DOWN SMASH AND SHUTTLE LOOP BUT I AM **** SURE THERE IS MORE MK'S PLAYING TOP 10 MORE THAN ANY CHARACTER IN BRAWL. SON THERE IS A MENTALLY CHALLENGED KID GIVING SOME PPL IN NEW YORK PROBLEMS WITH HIS MK THAT SAYS SOMETHING BUDDY.

I KNEW YOU WOULD SAY THAT **** ABOUT FOX FALCO MARTH SHEIK.

YOU KNOW WHY THEY WASNT GOING TO GET BANNED?
BECAUSE THEY CAN BE KILLED OFF THE STAGE EASY,GIMPED IF UR NOT CAREFUL IT TOOK MORE SKILLS TO DO DAMAGE WITH THEM THAN MK.
AND SINCE THIS GAME IS A LIL MORE RESTRICTING ALOT OF CHARACTERS HAVE LIKE NO CHANCE IN BEATING MK. AND DONT SAY THE ONLY MK THATS WINNING IS M2K I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE OWNING THAT WE DONT KNOW ABOUT.
WHO GIVES A **** IF HE DOESNT HAVE ANY PROJECTILES HE HAS LIKE MOVES THAT SEND U AT CRAZY TRAGETERIES IF YOU DONT DI AND ITS HARD TO DI THEM BECAUSE THEY COME OUT SO QUICK. AND TRUST ME ONCE MORE AND MORME PPL GET BETTER WITH MK YOU WILL SEE.
THIS GAME IS STILL FRESH IDK IF WE STILL KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR THE COMMUNITY STILL NEEDS ALOT OF PRACTICING IN THIS GAME THATS WHY SNAKES DO GOOD BUT HE CAN BE KILLED AND GIMPED SO EASY MK IS THE ONLY CHARACTER IN SMASH HISTORY THAT CANT BE GIMPED AND IF U TRY YOU WILL GET GIMPED AND IF U DI RIGHT WITH MK U CAN LIVE PRETTY LONG. HIS TORNADO IS RIDICULOUS. GLIDE SHUTTLE LOOP HE HAS THE WORLD. THE REASON PPL FEEL THAT HE SHOULDNT BE BANNED IS BECAUSE THIS COMMUNITY IS CONDITIONED TO THE BULL****, MEANING JUST CONTENT WITH JUST HAVING BROKEN RULES FOR TOURNAMENTS. AND IF YOU CAN JUST WIN WITH THE RULES GIVEN YOUR NOT GOOD. WHAT A COMMUNITY. if u compare his spacing to all characters in the game if wins he has speed, strength, a ****ign sword so many ways he can come back a glide the only up be in smash history that can kill you on like 0 percent sometimes, and he is short(making him hard to hit)
if that above description doesnt make u sick to your stomach to what a person is up against then you guyz are in denial. This is one of the only commuities that really resort that cheap **** to win and dont want to make the game better by banning ****ed up **** that is obviously ****ign up the tier list and the balance of the game (infinities, chain-grabbing and mk)

I REALLY MISS THE BEGINING OF MELEE EVERYONE PLAYED LIKE A TRUE FIGHTER NO WLOOK AT THIS COMMUNITY I SEE WHY ALOT OF COMMUNITIES LAUGH AT THE SMASH COMMUNITY, BECAUSE THIS COMMUNITY IS JUST FLOODED WITH ******** DICTATORS THAT MAKE REALLY BAD DECISIONS FOR TOURNAMENT RULES. DONT GIVE ME THE POWER THIS COMMUNITY WOULD BE A GOOD ONE WITH ALOT OF SKILLS INVOLVED.

gallax

Smash Hero
Btw, I was playing against metas at lukkys the other day, and this is the second time i went there and lost to spamming Tornados and Up Bs, even though i expected it. Once he started doing that it was over. so that's what mad eme beleive meta needs to be banned, from the games release, to now, i've been looking at him closely, and even play him, and he requires no skill to be good at. it is a horrible thing, really it is.
exactly. the third best player in florida mains and ONLY uses MK and his playstyle is so controversial that people are sick and tired of it. his main area of focus is the tornado and shuttle loop(sl). the reason he wins is because its so hard to get out of the tornado and to outprioritize it while setting up a way to stop it. whenever he fights someone who can beat his tornado, he loses.

that being said, MK takes no skill to use, unlike the marth or fox from melee. it takes extreme stick skill to play those characters to their full potential in melee. have you guys ever heard of a noob picking up melee fox/marth, learning how to wave all their moves, and winning melee tournaments in a week? how about a month? maybe if you have a guy who is extremely dedicated to melee and all they did was play at every second of the day then you would have the month scenario, but it was rare. thats why characters were never banned in melee. in brawl, you could pick up MK in a week and go win a tourney. why? takes very little stick skill to use properly and is very easy to use. heck, if i wanted to be a douche i would just spam tornado all day. its so cheap that its a shame that the tornado was even put in the game. if you take away the tornado then you will have a better matchup against MK, but there is still the problem of lagless moves combined with a dsmash that comes out faster than any other move and has great kill potential.

ban or not ban? my opinion really doesn't matter so i am not gonna say which one i choose.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
If you don't know anything about competitive play, why are you speaking as though you do?
Because, like it or not, I feel like making my opinion known.

I really don't know why I try to get wrapped up in competitive discussion. All it ever does is give me a headache.

All I can say is that I oppose the banning of characters and leave it at that.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Would I support a ban? Absolutely.

Do I think it will happen? No, too many people play him now and won't allow it.

Shinku

Smash Champion
i like how nintendo tried to make brawl a very balanced game by nerfing alot of charcacters who were tight in melee such as marths sword, captain falcons speed, fox's shine, err whatever, but made metaknight such a godly character.

if i ever hosted a tournament, i always thought metakight should be banned yes, BUT they'll just be alot of snakes, mr GnW, ROB, or other really good *** characters.

so if meta does get banned, then they'll be alot of talk of wanted Snake banned, then so forth.

so as of right now, i dont think meta should get banned, at least not yet, cuz he can be beaten. even though its hard......

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
DAlegendarysamus, please don't use caps...

I change my mind. This should be stickied, and have a poll added to it. I want to see if this is really how a majority of people see this game.

2ND THE REASON ALOT OF MKS LOSE CAUSE THEY ARE TOO CONSUMED IN JUST DOWN SMASH AND SHUTTLE LOOP BUT I AM **** SURE THERE IS MORE MK'S PLAYING TOP 10 MORE THAN ANY CHARACTER IN BRAWL. SON THERE IS A MENTALLY CHALLENGED KID GIVING SOME PPL IN NEW YORK PROBLEMS WITH HIS MK THAT SAYS SOMETHING BUDDY.

BECAUSE THEY CAN BE KILLED OFF THE STAGE EASY,GIMPED IF UR NOT CAREFUL IT TOOK MORE SKILLS TO DO DAMAGE WITH THEM THAN MK.
AND SINCE THIS GAME IS A LIL MORE RESTRICTING ALOT OF CHARACTERS HAVE LIKE NO CHANCE IN BEATING MK. AND DONT SAY THE ONLY MK THATS WINNING IS M2K I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE OWNING THAT WE DONT KNOW ABOUT.
WHO GIVES A **** IF HE DOESNT HAVE ANY PROJECTILES HE HAS LIKE MOVES THAT SEND U AT CRAZY TRAGETERIES IF YOU DONT DI AND ITS HARD TO DI THEM BECAUSE THEY COME OUT SO QUICK. AND TRUST ME ONCE MORE AND MORME PPL GET BETTER WITH MK YOU WILL SEE.
THIS GAME IS STILL FRESH IDK IF WE STILL KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR THE COMMUNITY STILL NEEDS ALOT OF PRACTICING IN THIS GAME THATS WHY SNAKES DO GOOD BUT HE CAN BE KILLED AND GIMPED SO EASY MK IS THE ONLY CHARACTER IN SMASH HISTORY THAT CANT BE GIMPED AND IF U TRY YOU WILL GET GIMPED AND IF U DI RIGHT WITH MK U CAN LIVE PRETTY LONG. HIS TORNADO IS RIDICULOUS. GLIDE SHUTTLE LOOP HE HAS THE WORLD. THE REASON PPL FEEL THAT HE SHOULDNT BE BANNED IS BECAUSE THIS COMMUNITY IS CONDITIONED TO THE BULL****, MEANING JUST CONTENT WITH JUST HAVING BROKEN RULES FOR TOURNAMENTS. AND IF YOU CAN JUST WIN WITH THE RULES GIVEN YOUR NOT GOOD. WHAT A COMMUNITY. if u compare his spacing to all characters in the game if wins he has speed, strength, a ****ign sword so many ways he can come back a glide the only up be in smash history that can kill you on like 0 percent sometimes, and he is short(making him hard to hit)
if that above description doesnt make u sick to your stomach to what a person is up against then you guyz are in denial. This is one of the only commuities that really resort that cheap **** to win and dont want to make the game better by banning ****ed up **** that is obviously ****ign up the tier list and the balance of the game (infinities, chain-grabbing and mk)

I REALLY MISS THE BEGINING OF MELEE EVERYONE PLAYED LIKE A TRUE FIGHTER NO WLOOK AT THIS COMMUNITY I SEE WHY ALOT OF COMMUNITIES LAUGH AT THE SMASH COMMUNITY, BECAUSE THIS COMMUNITY IS JUST FLOODED WITH ******** DICTATORS THAT MAKE REALLY BAD DECISIONS FOR TOURNAMENT RULES. DONT GIVE ME THE POWER THIS COMMUNITY WOULD BE A GOOD ONE WITH ALOT OF SKILLS INVOLVED.
Even though I don't really can't agree with MK getting banned because of the circumstances involved, I have to say that he is pretty gay.

Wes's post are too good. *Melee Memories*

EXTEEENDAAAR!!

Darkurai

Smash Master

CAPS LOCK MAKES YOU LISTEN TO ME GOODER.
Please don't caps lock.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
inb4threadlock

GIZE GIZE GIZE MK CAN"T BE LOCKED FROM TOUNAMENT PLAY HE'S NOT A STAGE SO THAT WOULDN"T BE LIKE A FIGHTING GAEM!!!!

Seriously, almost all of the intelligent posts in this thread have been from people trying to get MK banned. I don't think theres even a question w/ the undeniable fact that at least 6 characters would become tourney viable w/ MK's ban. Then theres that whole thing where he's almost unbeatable AT HIGH LEVEL PLAY with the the characters that are supposedly counters, and the other tournament viable characters.

And this would be nothing like bans on fox, falco, sheik, and marth in melee. There were not only 4 of them, but they also countered each other and had counters in mid and even low tiers.

My friend got brawl last month. He never played smash before that and, although I have been teaching him how to get better, when he plays MK, he manages to get me down to one stock half the time. When he plays anyone else, including his main(snake), he usually can't take off one stock. I'm not great at brawl, mainly b/c I play melee a hell of a lot more, but the fact that he challenges me w/ MK might also be a little bit of a tip off as well.

M@v

Subarashii!
Mk really shouldnt be banned. I dont find him impossible, maybe because I play fox. Snakes not a problem for me, but as fox, its so easy to take out the dsmashing Mks. And he can actually get caught in foxs utilt. Its harder for mk to gimp fox as well. Its by no means a disadvantage. And as mentioned earlier, no one wanted to ban fox and his broken to hell shine.(I wasnt a fox melee main, Sheik ftw). So why are we complaining now?

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
If you think MK should be banned, that's cool. Start your own tournaments and ban him there.

Until then, stop trying to tell other people who they can and can't play as.

Nova X81

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4768-7615-3064
Switch FC
SW-1268-6324-2517
I counter Metaknight with Marth and Lucario, and I'm being 100% serious. I don't see the problem.

Personally, I find snake a harder matchup against most characters, and he's still beatable. No one needs to be banned, this is a non-issue simply overcome by skill.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
As a lowly and pathetic '08er, I'll try my very hardest to make a thoughtful contribution to the discussion.

1968 was considered the "Year of the Pitcher" in baseball history, mostly because of the dominance of Bob Gibson, who went 22-9 that year with a 1.12 ERA. (He was awarded MVP). As a result of this, Major League Baseball decided to lower the height of the pitcher's mound by 5 inches, giving the pitcher less of an advantage over hitters.

There is a point to that little tid-bit. They didn't ban Bob Gibson from baseball, despite the fact that he was owning practically every opponent he faced. Instead, they adjusted the playing field to give him less of an advantage. Brawl has a handicap feature which, if implemented into competitive play, might do wonders in balancing out the characters.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Why not? Other fighting games have done it. Akuma is the common example of a character that was so broken that it had to be banned from tournaments.
I'm so sick of people that never played SF comparing Metaknight to Akuma.

Akuma BROKE street fighter. He wasn't a tough match-up. He wasn't really good. He was the only character in the game. With his Aerial Fireballs and fast movement speed he could simply outzone EVERY character in the game. The only Finals were Akuma vs Akuma and then they finally banned him. Might I add it's only a soft ban, some players still use him it's just considered dishonorable, at least that's how the SF tournies in Japan are. Noone uses him because of the shame of winning with him, He broke the game, he did things the game engine simply couldn't handle.

Nice try though.

Darkurai

Smash Master
If you think MK should be banned, that's cool. Start your own tournaments and ban him there.

Until then, stop trying to tell other people who they can and can't play as.
Very well. I will host my own tournament with all items on high, 2-minute time matches, and all stages banned except Temple, Warioware, 75m, and that custom stage I made that leaves you trapped in a box.

Grunt

Smash Master
Good God, This is ridiculous.
Last time I checked, MK wasn't winning every tournament everywhere.
Thumbs, you should be ashamed. you're basing this ban not off of undeniably crazy tourney results, but on the fact that "I can't beat him."

True, MK is a *****, and clearly better than everyone else int he game, but he is obviously not stopping other characters from winning.

seriously, you guys, read some Sirlin.

Oh god it's you again.

Someone bring up that Caps Lock caption again please.

gallax

Smash Hero
almost everyone who has said not to ban MK hasnt really posted anything that is intelligent. give me some real reasons why he shouldnt be banned. although i think it is still to early to determine whether or not to ban chars, i have yet to hear a plausible reason to accept MK in the tournament community other than he is not winning all the tournaments.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
lol, it's Wes. The only time his posts aren't in caps is when he had the entire post in caps and Smashboards filtered it.
lmao, ooh.

Tank McCannon, may i take this moment to say something completely unrelated.
I love your avatar.

As a lowly and pathetic '08er, I'll try my very hardest to make a thoughtful contribution to the discussion.

1968 was considered the "Year of the Pitcher" in baseball history, mostly because of the dominance of Bob Gibson, who went 22-9 that year with a 1.12 ERA. (He was awarded MVP). As a result of this, Major League Baseball decided to lower the height of the pitcher's mound by 5 inches, giving the pitcher less of an advantage over hitters.

There is a point to that little tid-bit. They didn't ban Bob Gibson from baseball, despite the fact that he was owning practically every opponent he faced. Instead, they adjusted the playing field to give him less of an advantage. Brawl has a handicap feature which, if implemented into competitive play, might do wonders in balancing out the characters.
You get 20 points. Very nice job with that.

And before anyone says (I bet someone already has) "BASEBALL DOESN'T EQUAL BRAWL," Baseball is FAR more competitive then Brawl is (considering, you know, movement) and he makes a very good point.

Although the thought of handicap in tournies makes me shudder. But very good point.

Darkurai

Smash Master

The difference is that lowering the mound affected all pitchers. A handicap would only effect Meta Knight.

crownvick

Smash Apprentice
(baltimore) Ok Nobody Move And Nobody Gets Hurt U
Why ban MK because he can stall when you should just ban stalling. Ban the technique not the whole character
U cant just bann a characters technique. Dont forget ur playing smash where there is a finitive amount of things you can do. Metaknights whole gameplay is cheap. Banning one move causes spam for the next. So banning all of his moves leaves u with banning him. Anyway we just should have metaknights banned in certain peoples tournaments.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
Very well. I will host my own tournament with all items on high, 2-minute time matches, and all stages banned except Temple, Warioware, 75m, and that custom stage I made that leaves you trapped in a box.
This is exactly my point. When something annoys you, instead of telling other people what they should do, do something yourself.

However, if you decide to do something yourself (ban a character, play with items on 75m) don't be surprised if no one shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom