• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight Officially Banned In Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
HOBO 10 results:

1: Stiltz (olimar/meta)=over 800$
2: D4vA (meta/snake)=over 200$
3: Dojo (Meta)=over 100$
4: DMG (wario)
5: Gnes (kirby)
5: Hylian (Gw)
7: Sandtrap (meta)
7: PowerNap (ddd)
9: Xyro (SAMUS!!!!!!!)
9: RoyR (marth)
9: Infinity (meta)

For those of you that don't get it, allow me to elaborate.
Meta
Meta
Meta
____
____
____
Meta
____
____
Meta

Oh no, Meta is of course not in an advantageous position to win this tournament.
It would be more preoccupying if it was something like:

1: Stiltz (Meta)
2: D4vA (Meta/Snake)
3: Dojo (Meta)
4: DMG (Meta/ROB)
5: Gnes (Meta)
5: Hylian (G&W)
7: Sandtrap (Meta)
7: PowerNap (Dedede)
9: Xyro (Snake)
9: RoyR (Marth)
9: Infinity (Meta)

Aran

Smash Apprentice
Look at those Metaknights dominated the top placements. It's sickening, is what it is.
I really don't see the big deal if he has no below-neutral matchups. IIRC it would certainly NOT be the first time we've dealt with a character in a fighting game who's worst matchups are neutral.
Yes, we can deal with it. But my point is not that it's awful. I'm saying that it is NOT helpful to the competitive spirit of this game to have a character whose worst matchup is himself. How is a game competitive if at every turn, players are forced to deal at a disadvantage just because they did NOT choose one character? Yes, everyone COULD switch to metaknight. But lets face it, people who haven't already switched didn't make the change because they don't want to. Yes, you could blame that on them and continue on, but you could also ban said character, and then the OTHER 35 (yes I know that's an exagguration, but many more) characters are suddenly much more viable. Viability of 1 char vs viability of many.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Intresting OP keep us updated on how the metagame devlops and maybe the MK will get banned (though i prefer him not falco has an average macth up vs him so bleh :p) but yeah MK getting banned is silly its not like we banned fox/marth in melee because he was hard to beat/made char. unplayable >.> so i say BOO to italy though i am intrested in how this devlops.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'd also like to know what M2K thinks about this. If anyone knows his 2 cents about the topic or could invite him in the debate, it'd be a good thing.
he told me personally in a thread i made that he really doesnt care whether he gets banned or not, because he truly believes that if MK does get banned, he will continue to win just as much as he does now with either D3 or snake because he is just better than everyone else out there

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I really hope they don't ban Meta Knight in the States. Yeah, he's good, but you can't fault a character for being good... If you take him out, then who will be the top placing character in tournaments? I'm gonna say Snake, hypothetically. Would they then ban Snake? It doesn't make sense to keep banning whoever is at the top, even if Meta Knight's worst matchup is himself. Regardless of that fact, people will use who they want to use, and they'll find ways to overcome adversity when fighting professional level Meta Knights.

Also, it annoys me when people say Meta Knight is easy to use. That's like an affront to the entire Meta Knight community. They haven't been just twiddling their thumbs since Brawl was released, they've been finding ways to get good with him, and they've put as much work into polishing their skills with their main as anyone else has. That's how I see it, anyway.

Aran

Smash Apprentice
Neon Ness, it's not about being the top placing in tournaments. One character DOES have to take that spot and it's not a reason to ban someone. What I've tried to say in my previous posts is that if it does end up that MK's best counter match is himself, then that does put him in an advantageous position that discourages competition with anyone other than metaknight, and people DO want to play other characters.'

EDIT: btw nice sig :D

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
HOBO 10 results:

1: Stiltz (olimar/meta)=over 800$
2: D4vA (meta/snake)=over 200$
3: Dojo (Meta)=over 100$
4: DMG (wario)
5: Gnes (kirby)
5: Hylian (Gw)
7: Sandtrap (meta)
7: PowerNap (ddd)
9: Xyro (SAMUS!!!!!!!)
9: RoyR (marth)
9: Infinity (meta)

For those of you that don't get it, allow me to elaborate.
Meta
Meta
Meta
____
____
____
Meta
____
____
Meta

Oh no, Meta is of course not in an advantageous position to win this tournament.

Stiltz used Olimar a lot more than MK, d4ba used Snake and Falco more than MK as well, the only true MK main in the top 3 was Dojo. In reality, MK only got one spot into the top 3 for that tourney. MK only took up 3 spots in the entire top 10, which really isn't too bad of a ratio.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Again I ask, if everyone started maining, say, Lucario tomorrow, would you advocate a ban on him?
o mi effing god, stop saying this!!

Theres a perfectly valid reason everyone doesnt flock to main MK, or peach, or Luc, or anybody else.

If everyone decided tomarrow to play Luc, Emblem lord would **** every tournament, because Marth wrecks lucario.

The situation of everybody flocking to a character doesnt happen unless that character is the best.

That situation IS NOT going to happen. have you ever considered the reason WHYpeople flock to a character? Because they are too good.

in a fighting game, theres only one reason that so many people would play a character in the same volume as the amount of people playing MK

Hes possibly too good.

now i will admit that that alone doesnt make him too good, but dont you dare say that the astounding number of people switching to, and playing MK isnt a valid reason to include in the argument for banning him. because its happening for a very good reason

salaboB

Smash Champion
What if a player personally trained to fight against Metaknight and knew every single habit and weak point of MK mainers? Wouldn't picking MK start to be a bad choice at that point? Now, I'm expecting you to reply with "No one will bother learning how to fight them when they can simply join them".
I'll prove you wrong about responses (Whether my answer is correct is an entirely different matter), because my reply is different: "It doesn't matter how many habits you learn about MK since he has no exploitable weak points that anyone in the cast can capitalize on if MK is played properly."

That's why he has at worst an even matchup -- given slightly greater skill, the MK player will always win (If you're just basing it on skill). They don't have to care who their opponent picks, they always are at worst on even ground and more often than not they have the advantage. I would say if you're capable of learning all the bad habits of each MK, then you're a better player than them and so of course you'll win -- but you'll likely have a hard fight of it, even though you're more skilled.

And that is the problem with MK, he requires no second to deal with someone (Unlike every other character in the game.) That's also why if you ban MK you won't have to chain the bans down through the lists very far (If at all), because everyone else at least has a couple counterpicks against them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
on some side notes:

Is MK still on his own star tier on ankokus tourney list?
Is snake still on his own S tier list on Ankokus tourney list?
Is MK and Snake still soft banned in Japan (Who have had the game longer than us, and thus, should probably know better)

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Fox is even with at the very least Marth, Falco, Sheik.
Falco is even with Marth, Fox, Sheik, IC's, Peach, and Jigglypuff
Marth is even with Fox, Falco, and slightly disadvantaged vs Sheik and CF
Sheik is even with Fox, Falco, Peach.

The top 4 melee characters have at least 3 other characters that go even or beat them in the game.

In Brawl, Metaknight is simply the answer to all the questions. Every other character has at least one disadvantaged matchup (mostly metaknight), and there is no one character that can effectively counter or deal with BOTH metaknight and the rest of the cast. That is the issue. Metaknight has an advantage others do not in that respect. No other character can match up to this, making him far and away better than the rest, making him ban worthy.

PS:

from Ankoku's ranking thingy:

1 Meta Knight (44 top8, 26 top4, 15 top2, 30 wins) - 1385.8

S Rank <Uber>
2 Snake (30 top8, 20 top4, 11 top2, 7 wins) - 835.4

550 point difference when giving points weighted by wins, top placings, and how often said player used the character. This is based only off of tournaments with adequate attendance along with at least a somewhat reputable player attendance. Heck, just look at the difference between straight out wins next to Snake which is the second best according to the ranking. 30 metaknight wins vs. 7 Snake wins.

Still not seeing the trend?

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
This arguement is repeating itself and i feel it's kind of pointless. Mk is obviously superior, but as Tuna ( :p ) says it's not certain that he would win. It's exactly like street fighter, Gill is banned because he's extremely overpowered and does to much stun, combos with him would kill you immediately. There are no combos in brawl, different from every fighting game you named XIF, therefore, even though MK is extremely powerful, none of his attacks are certain and insta kill like Akuma in turbo, ivy in SCIV, Gill in SF3, etc.

XIF

Smash Master
o mi effing god, stop saying this!!

Theres a perfectly valid reason everyone doesnt flock to main MK, or peach, or Luc, or anybody else.

If everyone decided tomarrow to play Luc, Emblem lord would **** every tournament, because Marth wrecks lucario.

The situation of everybody flocking to a character doesnt happen unless that character is the best.

That situation IS NOT going to happen. have you ever considered the reason WHYpeople flock to a character? Because they are too good.

in a fighting game, theres only one reason that so many people would play a character in the same volume as the amount of people playing MK

Hes possibly too good.

now i will admit that that alone doesnt make him too good, but dont you dare say that the astounding number of people switching to, and playing MK isnt a valid reason to include in the argument for banning him. because its happening for a very good reason
Wow please have logic babies with me.

salaboB

Smash Champion
This arguement is repeating itself and i feel it's kind of pointless. Mk is obviously superior, but as Tuna ( :p ) says it's not certain that he would win. It's exactly like street fighter, Gill is banned because he's extremely overpowered and does to much stun, combos with him would kill you immediately. There are no combos in brawl, different from every fighting game you named XIF, therefore, even though MK is extremely powerful, none of his attacks are certain and insta kill like Akuma in turbo, ivy in SCIV, Gill in SF3, etc.
Taking longer to get to the same place is still reaching the same place.

Being the counter to everyone is countering everyone whether you do it by an unbreakable combo or just by being better than every other character in the game. There's a point where this is boolean, and with no disadvantaged matchups I'm pretty sure MK qualifies as broken for tournament use.

Maybe at some point there will be a tech that will bring MK down, but I really don't think that's likely to be discovered in tournament play -- people there will be going with what's most likely to let them win, so the experimentation needed to find such a tech is not going to happen there and as long as MK is around more and more people will keep selecting him as they find that nobody else they play stands as good a chance. (Snake may also have this problem if MK is removed, but from the tournament results nobody else is nearly as reliable a winner as these two and certainly none are close to MK)

Aran

Smash Apprentice

Being the counter to everyone is countering everyone whether you do it by an unbreakable combo or just by being better than every other character in the game. There's a point where this is boolean, and with no disadvantaged matchups I'm pretty sure MK qualifies as broken for tournament use.

Maybe at some point there will be a tech that will bring MK down, but I really don't think that's likely to be discovered in tournament play -- people there will be going with what's most likely to let them win, so the experimentation needed to find such a tech is not going to happen there and as long as MK is around more and more people will keep selecting him as they find that nobody else they play stands as good a chance. (Snake may also have this problem if MK is removed, but from the tournament results nobody else is nearly as reliable a winner as these two and certainly none are close to MK)
This is what I was trying to say, but much more eloquently put. Thank you, sir. Although I do not think that it will end up being mindless MK dittos in tournaments because lots of people just don't want to play MK no matter how good he is.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
I'll prove you wrong about responses (Whether my answer is correct is an entirely different matter), because my reply is different: "It doesn't matter how many habits you learn about MK since he has no exploitable weak points that anyone in the cast can capitalize on if MK is played properly."

That's why he has at worst an even matchup -- given slightly greater skill, the MK player will always win (If you're just basing it on skill). They don't have to care who their opponent picks, they always are at worst on even ground and more often than not they have the advantage. I would say if you're capable of learning all the bad habits of each MK, then you're a better player than them and so of course you'll win -- but you'll likely have a hard fight of it, even though you're more skilled.

And that is the problem with MK, he requires no second to deal with someone (Unlike every other character in the game.) That's also why if you ban MK you won't have to chain the bans down through the lists very far (If at all), because everyone else at least has a couple counterpicks against them.
Apart from the fact I believe MK has weaknesses other characters (at least high tier ones) could exploit, there still are the players' flaws. The "If MK is played properly" IMO doesn't make a point, since playing him properly would involve the MK player to be good, therefore to win using skills and not the character's strenghts. So does the "if you're capable of learning all the bad habits of each MK, then you're a better player than them and so of course you'll win" part, since if MK was to be overplayed, figuring out ways to beat him would be 10 times easier.

Edg

Smash Cadet
honestly mk is overplayed and makes the game stale. take a step back from the competitive scene just for a second to look at it... brawl is a stupid easy game in general with very little technical skill required whatsoever compared to nearly every competitive game ever popularized. You can pretend that brawl is good, but in reality it is a bad game and already dying out, and anything that can be done to preserve the competitive aspect should be embraced from all of the bad players who think they are good at gaming because they can win at brawl(yes I'm talking to you). If you invested a lot of time practicing metaknight, (you're a ***got), hes a pretty easy character so I'd hope you atleast practiced something else to play. The people who play brawl are not the same good people who revolutionized melee, they are a bunch of ****ters who cannot develop the metagame, so brawl will stay stagnant unless an outside force alters it. It's just a shame that so many US players ***** and whine endlessly whereas most outside us countries when it comes to competitive gaming either suck it up or ban the ****.

AntiC

Smash Journeyman

i don't think you understood what i said, i know that Mk is superior to all characters, or has a slighter advantage, but what Yuna is trying to say that it's not a "one hit and you're dead" character. So no point in banning. Look at Chun-Li, there's no real counter for her, her SA2 (if anyone knows what that is, it's her special move) Takes a third of your health and is fast, it combos into about half of her moves. Great stun, and her defense can be doubled by merely taunting once (which is easy if you sweep your character to the ground). Many newbies use her and knowing mere basics can win many matches or regional tournaments. Why is she not banned? Because getting hit by her once won't kill you. MK is the same, extremely superior, but can't insta-ko or anything extremely out of the ordinary.

Master Raven

Smash Master
honestly mk is overplayed and makes the game stale. take a step back from the competitive scene just for a second to look at it... brawl is a stupid easy game in general with very little technical skill required whatsoever compared to nearly every competitive game ever popularized. You can pretend that brawl is good, but in reality it is a bad game and already dying out, and anything that can be done to preserve the competitive aspect should be embraced from all of the bad players who think they are good at gaming because they can win at brawl(yes I'm talking to you). If you invested a lot of time practicing metaknight, (you're a ***got), hes a pretty easy character so I'd hope you atleast practiced something else to play. The people who play brawl are not the same good people who revolutionized melee, they are a bunch of ****ters who cannot develop the metagame, so brawl will stay stagnant unless an outside force alters it. It's just a shame that so many US players ***** and whine endlessly whereas most outside us countries when it comes to competitive gaming either suck it up or ban the ****.
LOL someone sure is angry

salaboB

Smash Champion
Apart from the fact I believe MK has weaknesses other characters (at least high tier ones) could exploit, there still are the players' flaws. The "If MK is played properly" IMO doesn't make a point, since playing him properly would involve the MK player to be good, therefore to win using skills and not the character's strenghts. So does the "if you're capable of learning all the bad habits of each MK, then you're a better player than them and so of course you'll win" part, since if MK was to be overplayed, figuring out ways to beat him would be 10 times easier.
The "If MK is played properly" is a very important point, because it's part of exactly why MK has no bad matchups. If you learn a bad habit that most MK players have and effectively punish them for it, any decently skilled MK player (ie, played properly) will notice what you're doing and simply stop falling for it. MK has a huge variety of options he can use -- if he didn't, certain characters would be able to break through his attempts at approaching and could gain an advantaged matchup against him that way -- and so will simply be able to adjust to any counters you may learn. And he already is overplayed, yet nobody has managed to figure out a better than 5:5 strategy against him with any character in the game.

I'm not saying MK has no weaknesses at all, otherwise he'd be at a 9:1 win rate against every opponent. I'm saying that he has no weakness that anyone can take advantage of to actually gain a tactical edge that's unrelated directly to player skill. No other character in the game has that bonus when looked at compared to the rest of the cast, even Snake has disadvantages (If nobody else, MK. Which may very well be why if MK is banned Snake would need banning as well, if you've just removed his only disadvantage. Everyone else has more than just MK and Snake as their bad matchups, though.)

What does this mean? It means if you play one of the few characters that has an even matchup against MK, even knowing MK's usual weaknesses, you're at best fighting an even match of skill vs. skill against your opponent -- whoever is in better form that match will win. Anyone else, and you're having to be significantly better than your opponent -- you'll be able to easily lose to someone who was playing worse than you, without it just being a bit of bad luck on your part for one error. And to gain this advantage, all someone has to do is drop their little token on Meta Knight.

I don't think everyone will go over to MK, but I suspect more and more people will -- and the lack of familiarity that MK players will then have with most of the cast won't hurt him that much for tourney results, simply because of the character based advantage he holds against most of them.

XIF

Smash Master
Part of the reason MK is so good is because he is the lowest risk character with the highest reward. Even factoring in player flaws, a mistake with snake means 10 times more than a mistake with metaknight. Of course we are factoring human limitation, but there is also the limitation of the snake player, or the falco player. Humans can only expected to do so much, so even though there are certainly ways in which to beat metaknight, it is simply not fair and not a fair representation of skill to ask players to conquer such feats.

salaboB

Smash Champion
i don't think you understood what i said, i know that Mk is superior to all characters, or has a slighter advantage, but what Yuna is trying to say that it's not a "one hit and you're dead" character. So no point in banning. Look at Chun-Li, there's no real counter for her, her SA2 (if anyone knows what that is, it's her special move) Takes a third of your health and is fast, it combos into about half of her moves. Great stun, and her defense can be doubled by merely taunting once (which is easy if you sweep your character to the ground). Many newbies use her and knowing mere basics can win many matches or regional tournaments. Why is she not banned? Because getting hit by her once won't kill you. MK is the same, extremely superior, but can't insta-ko or anything extremely out of the ordinary.
I understood what you said, and I am saying that while you're thinking it's not the same thing in practice it ends up being so.

You have to look at what's being done to the tournament scene in each of those cases that you listed as banned: It would take tremendous amounts of skill more than that player to be able to beat someone using a banned character, no matter who you pick.

Now look at Meta Knight: It will take more skill than the player using Meta Knight to be able to beat someone using him, no matter who you pick.

The only difference is degree, and I believe that being able to make that statement at any degree is going to be bad for tournaments because the game will generally grind to a halt for discovering ATs and other strategies with non-MK characters as everything will start to revolve around who possibly has a chance against him and how you can manage that. We're already starting to see people focusing heavily on that one opponent (With little change in his win rate), what makes you think it won't just continue to get worse?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Do people seriously not know XInfestedFalcons gender?

XD

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's like I'm Pictish Freak, but instead of gamefaqs its smashboards.

PS: I have a pen1s.
I miss Pictish. Also, he was in the SBR wtf?!?! XD. I had no idea until I got in >_>.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Snake is slow and you can camp him, Metaknight can easily get in your face no matter what you do.
if you play smart you can actually counter a MK but all of you are too busy trying to get him banned. and yes snake is slow but his slow moves suck. he has lots of fast moves. his fast moves are broken. so...yea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom