• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Otori & M2K go really low 90% of the time
It's safer because your uair is gdlk

theunabletable

Smash Lord
"offstage just always get lower" ~something M2K once told me about the ditto

Best matchup advice I've ever gotten, literally

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
what's the best way to deal with Olimar?

I just watched again the Apex GF and seems like I didn't learn a thing... I just can't figure out how to get in safely, and well I don't think it's necessary to say that being away is just a bad idea :/

theunabletable

Smash Lord
How do you combo with Uair? I cant figure out how.
If you hit them and they don't go into a tumble, you have a ton of true combos. Otherwise just like...
idk how to answer that question, just hit them with uair and then with other stuff lol? What is it that people are doing when avoiding your uair combos and at what percentages?

what's the best way to deal with Olimar?

I just watched again the Apex GF and seems like I didn't learn a thing... I just can't figure out how to get in safely, and well I don't think it's necessary to say that being away is just a bad idea :/
Imagine you're playing against Jesus on the cross, and the cross is all the places that Olimar can hit you. Diagonally, you can exploit a lot of Olimar's weaknesses. If you stay in the air above him, a bit diagonally to him, you can perform a lot of actions faster than he can react to them, including tornado, fair, land and then grab, land and then tilt, land to dash attack, and jumping again.

Learn how to do all of those options faster than Olimar can react to them, and figure out which of those options beats Olimar's options at a neutral position, and then it comes down to reading.

And then learn which things you can punish of Olimar's on reaction, and where you need to be for those, and learn how to get to those positions faster than he can react to, and fluidly, so that you can put yourself in situations where you can punish Olimar for trying things he wants to try, without being at too much of a risk.

It comes down to reading the Olimar in the end, but it ONLY comes down to that once you've mastered what beats his options, and how to bait Olimar.

It gets a little more complicated past that, but those are kind of the basics when trying to approach Olimar. Learn how to make every read a punish, and learn how to punish everything you can bait. Those'll help you immensely against Olimar.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Go training mode on SV against ROB.
Glide Attack > Shorthop > Uair > Jump > Uair ... >Uair > Jump > Tornado
You can do it on FD if the platform bothers you
Thankyou, but i cant use training mode, my wii freezes at the stage selection screen offline only. I can only do regular brawl and turn stages to random.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
has anytime happened to anyone that MK aparently just glides by himself without you (aparently)inputing something?!?!

I think it's something related to the control stick, but I don't exactly know how and/or why it happens, does anyone know what is it that triggers this action?

earlier today(and many other times) thanks to that I got killed by some random thing that wasn't supposed to kill me. I'd like to know what not to do to prevent this from happening x_x

theunabletable

Smash Lord
IIRC a ton of attacks have a very small chance of tripping, not because it's built into the attack, but attacks with the Sakurai angle in Brawl have a tiiiny chance of tripping.

I might be wrong, but I remember it being kind of a thing when Project M developers managed to get rid of it as a mechanic.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pretty much any move can trip if it doesn't make the opponent leave the ground. Even stale shuttle loops and things as powerful as Ganon's Dair.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do you fight Lucas and Ness using Mk? Im so bad at these mu's that I switch to Zelda.
The biggest problem I have with Ness is Ness' Dair and combo's. And I have no idea what to do when fighting Lucas, anytime I miss a move, I get punished and I usually get killed early. Also how do I tell if a Lucas is using his Up B to hit himself, to hit me, or just trick me with it? Please answer :)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
How do you fight Lucas and Ness using Mk? Im so bad at these mu's that I switch to Zelda.
The biggest problem I have with Ness is Ness' Dair and combo's. And I have no idea what to do when fighting Lucas, anytime I miss a move, I get punished and I usually get killed early. Also how do I tell if a Lucas is using his Up B to hit himself, to hit me, or just trick me with it? Please answer :)
Turtle them. Tilt them. Up-B them. Then Dair them if they go low. Do Metaknight ****.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Walk.
10steps

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Ness and Lucas can be kinda tricky, but there are definitely lots of things you can do.

For one, learn the chaingrab on them. If you pummel fast enough, you can (kind of) force a ground release, and against Ness and Lucas, you can regrab afterwards (I think you have to dash grab Lucas, but it's possible to walking CG Ness). It's really useful because you deal a lot of damage, as well as putting the Ness/Lucas offstage at the end of it.

Then learn how to gimp them. Practice it against a computer a bunch, get comfortable at reacting to all of his options.

And try to learn which things of theirs you can punish out of shield, and at which spacings. You can up-B out of shield a lot of Ness' stuff, as well as Lucas', but some of their stuff they can space it in specific ways so that they're out of range, so learn not to Up B at those ranges.

Grab release > dsmash works on both of them, but against Lucas you have to walk forward a tiny bit iirc.

When Lucas hits you with dair, be sure to either tech it, or DI out of the last hit, because he has a guaranteed jab lock on you afterwards.

Lucas is kind of susceptible to diagonals in the same way Olimar is. If you're spacing horizontally to him, and slightly above him, he can have a difficult time, because his fair hits too low, and his uair doesn't hit horizontally enough. So dair camping in a way kind of works, but not if you're dumb about it. It's not just throwing out dairs, it's staying at a good position, and using moves to cover their options. Don't be rhythmic about it, if he reads you, he can beat it for sure.

Ness is, too, but not quite as much, but against both, it can be a good option to throw in and know how to do well.

Space your uairs well, if you're aiming for where Ness' foot is when he dairs, you'll hit his foot every time (although it can be a bit precise to do in the moment and all, but I mean, it's something to work towards). Juggling is really useful against both of them, as well as when they're on the ledge, covering their options. Shield is really good on the ledge against both of them, actually, because they're much more limited in the way they can space things on your shield when they're offstage, so you can punish a lot.

Ness is kind of dangerous on the ground; he can punish your tilts and stuff, and your fair's endlag, but it depends on how good the Ness you're playing is.

Be weary of PK fire, and learn how to DI Ness' fair and stuff (if he fairs towards you, you can actually punish him for hitting you if you SDI really high, or really low, but it's... not entirely consistent lol. At the very least DI can be useful so that you don't take all the hits, and you don't get followed up on as much).

dunno, there's more, and if you have trouble with specific situations let me know, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. You can approach both matchups in almost any way (like where you'd primarily try and be, whether it be dair camping, or trying to stay grounded and stuff), it's more important to know why you'd want to be in certain positions over others, and what they allow you to do, and if you learn that and all your options against Ness/Lucas, you'll find a way that works to your strengths well against them.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
hey few questions.

1. with nado'ing do you watch where how the opponent moves in the nado then react and adjust it so they're in the corners? can the opponent DI in the nado?

2. how do you do the glides like kakera and not snap the ledge?

thanks

theunabletable

Smash Lord
why is Meta Knight so broken? and yes its a serious question.
Like what about him is broken?

It's kind of for similar reasons to why DK is so broken in Brawl minus, he just has options that work really well that allow him to adapt to every character, and it gives him strong matchups.

He has a very good matchup spread, but he has a very good matchup spread because his character traits as well as his obnoxious frame data (although not as broken as people make it out to be) make him really adept at doing all the things this game requires.

1. with nado'ing do you watch where how the opponent moves in the nado then react and adjust it so they're in the corners? can the opponent DI in the nado?

2. how do you do the glides like kakera and not snap the ledge?
Honestly, I have no ****ing clue how tornado works lmao. I've done it enough that I kind of... just feel when I'm doing it right, and when I do a bad one, I know what I did wrong, but there's no way I could express what that is. I don't think you can SDI nado other than the very first hit you get hit by (I think I remember someone from the Brawl workshop mentioning that, anyways). Sorry I'm not much help here, but the best I can say is try and hit them with the edges of nado, so even if they get out, you're mostly safe from retaliation. I'd say that nado as a whole is just something you have to get a really good feel for.

And if you're holding down, you won't snap to the ledge. You have to utilize that mechanic in such a way that you are still moving up and horizontally towards the opponent and up past the ledge, while holding down, but I can't really tell you how the exact input works, or when to do it. Just have that mechanic in mind and practice it. Again, you'll get a feel for it, but that's really the best I can say lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As I learned to play with BBrawl, I don't have Nado basics well-stablished, but here's my $0.02:
There are two situations when you hit with Match Tornado:
1) If you hit with the bottom hitbox, it will throw your opponent upwards, so you have to read their DI/airdodge to juggle with that same attack, or stop doing it and juggle with others. This is very common when you Nado shields and pop foes out of it.
2) If you hit with the side hitboxes that will keep them in place. These side hitboxes cannot be SDI'd so they deal more damage. However, while some characters are big and heavy and get trapped easily, some others are harder to keep in. You have to either read a poor/slow/unsafe diaglonal-up approach by your oponent, or punish a linear recovery.
ANd that's pretty much what I have at the moment.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Ness and Lucas can be kinda tricky, but there are definitely lots of things you can do.

For one, learn the chaingrab on them. If you pummel fast enough, you can (kind of) force a ground release, and against Ness and Lucas, you can regrab afterwards (I think you have to dash grab Lucas, but it's possible to walking CG Ness). It's really useful because you deal a lot of damage, as well as putting the Ness/Lucas offstage at the end of it.

Then learn how to gimp them. Practice it against a computer a bunch, get comfortable at reacting to all of his options.

And try to learn which things of theirs you can punish out of shield, and at which spacings. You can up-B out of shield a lot of Ness' stuff, as well as Lucas', but some of their stuff they can space it in specific ways so that they're out of range, so learn not to Up B at those ranges.

Grab release > dsmash works on both of them, but against Lucas you have to walk forward a tiny bit iirc.

When Lucas hits you with dair, be sure to either tech it, or DI out of the last hit, because he has a guaranteed jab lock on you afterwards.

Lucas is kind of susceptible to diagonals in the same way Olimar is. If you're spacing horizontally to him, and slightly above him, he can have a difficult time, because his fair hits too low, and his uair doesn't hit horizontally enough. So dair camping in a way kind of works, but not if you're dumb about it. It's not just throwing out dairs, it's staying at a good position, and using moves to cover their options. Don't be rhythmic about it, if he reads you, he can beat it for sure.

Ness is, too, but not quite as much, but against both, it can be a good option to throw in and know how to do well.

Space your uairs well, if you're aiming for where Ness' foot is when he dairs, you'll hit his foot every time (although it can be a bit precise to do in the moment and all, but I mean, it's something to work towards). Juggling is really useful against both of them, as well as when they're on the ledge, covering their options. Shield is really good on the ledge against both of them, actually, because they're much more limited in the way they can space things on your shield when they're offstage, so you can punish a lot.

Ness is kind of dangerous on the ground; he can punish your tilts and stuff, and your fair's endlag, but it depends on how good the Ness you're playing is.

Be weary of PK fire, and learn how to DI Ness' fair and stuff (if he fairs towards you, you can actually punish him for hitting you if you SDI really high, or really low, but it's... not entirely consistent lol. At the very least DI can be useful so that you don't take all the hits, and you don't get followed up on as much).

dunno, there's more, and if you have trouble with specific situations let me know, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. You can approach both matchups in almost any way (like where you'd primarily try and be, whether it be dair camping, or trying to stay grounded and stuff), it's more important to know why you'd want to be in certain positions over others, and what they allow you to do, and if you learn that and all your options against Ness/Lucas, you'll find a way that works to your strengths well against them.
Thankyou so much, I will practice this soon. A problem I have with lucas is, the lucas I play against uses Up B when he knows im going to approach and I cant tell if he's using it to hit himself, hit me, or just trick me and not hit anyone with it. Maybe it would help if I dont go too far away before I approach.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
should metaknight ever be gimped by diddy's side b hump footstool?

can someone explain how that works exactly? like is it % based that we get gimped?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I've... never actually been gimped by it, so I have no idea lol, it's always been high enough that I can live, but I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't work, or just that I've been high enough haha

So I don't know the answer :C

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
What do you mean by "gimped"? Straight-out killed, or unable to get back?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
He has not many (useful) ATs, I'm pretty sure you can just watch videos and figure them out.

Top Bottom