• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
On shield, perhaps. Not sure if the shield knockback puts you out of range, but if you react to him going aerial and dash>shield>UpB then you can definitely do it. Just watch out for piv grabs on the approach. ;)

And on whiff definitely. You just gotta make sure you don't Up B into the Fair since you only have invince while you're on the ground. X . X

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wow thanks. Our local Marths pretty much only fair my shield all day so I guess I can beat them by doing upB before they can act :D
That'll teach em a lesson.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I just like to tornado through Fair. SL can work if they're being really generic and mindless with Fair spam.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
its also easier for marths to react to nado, and they do technically have options to beat it from literally every situation.

You can't just be flamboyant about nadoing marth

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Omg Metaknight's upsmash is ridiculous. It sends the opponent at an amazing angle and has almost no end lag.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
If he Bairs your shield just Broll or Froll. He has a sizable frame advantage, so don't challenge him even if he's in grab range. He out-speeds all your offensive options including GSL as well. :(

Kaffei

Smash Hero
some wolfs like to do fh bair to another bair
just run under that **** when he fhs and do a uair string

you can nair/dair him out of side b a lot easier than u can with fox/falco

idk get him off stage

Albert.

Smash Master
The thing with MK v Wolf is the same thing for all of the other fast(ish) characters that do decently vs MK... Diddy, Falco, Marth, Wolf, ETC ETC:

You just have to play gayer and play safer. MK has all of the tools to out-speed those characters. It can be a war of attrition- as long as you only take say- 10% for every 20% you do to them, you'll eventually have a solid lead near the endgame.

I think one of MK's more underrated broken attributes is how MK just doesn't get ***** upon landing like most of the cast. MK can always just jump Dair 2 or 3 times into a recovery move.
Mid level metas (myself included) need to stop falling for the same gimmicky kill set ups against lesser characters.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I agree with Albert. Against new weird MUs I usually take a very aggressive approach, thinking I can beat them like that and I get *****. When I play patient and take priority for my own safety I notice how they suddenly are screwed.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So I was peeking around reading some of these pages and I had question and I saw something similar play out earlier in this thread. Reading this was very useful due to this was the direction I heading to get better.

what are some things I can work on with just computer players? is there anything I can practice just by myself? I usually just try to work on spacing and stuff like that but I feel like theres more things I can work on.
Practice making all of your attacks as fast as possible while still auto-canceling them. Practice hitting CPUs and see how much of an advantage you have before a CPU hits you for using it, then come up with something that you can use to punish the CPU trying to hit you out of the string for the mix-up. Go into practice mode and set the CPU to run away. Now practice hitting a CPU trying to air dodge into the ground and practice frame trapping CPUs in air dodge. If you aren't sure what is optimum, then try to either ask in the Q&A thread or record videos of yourself playing and then look at it yourself and/or post it in the Critique thread.
You can also just play around and think about the game while doing it.
I often find out useful things by doing so, even when I just play around for 10 minutes Ill find sth. new and useful.
So to add on to what Karma said, what would you guys recommend to practice stage control and zoning?

Exdeath

Smash Master
So I was peeking around reading some of these pages and I had question and I saw something similar play out earlier in this thread. Reading this was very useful due to this was the direction I heading to get better.

So to add on to what Karma said, what would you guys recommend to practice stage control and zoning?
Figure out what your reaction-range is so that you can know how long you'll have to react to people trying to dash>shield>grab you and practice always being just outside of that grab range when you're in a position to get grabbed (when you want to wall).

Try dashing off of platforms>FFAD into the next platform>repeat on BF. Practice escaping juggles (contrary to popular belief, MK's biggest weakness is probably his lack of ability to quickly escape bad situations in the air due to his crappy horizontal speeds).

Optimize your attacks so that even if someone reads you, they'll get hit if they aren't fast enough (e.g. buffering Dtilt/spot dodge after a Fair). See when shields poke and think about how you can bait your opponent into being in that position (shield poking with Dsmash is a great way to score kills on mid-level opponents).

Something that people don't practice nearly enough is Up-Bing your opponent when they pre-maturely jump (M2K does this a lot in doubles/bad players).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Dthrow>usmash works at some lower damages...
Also, against some heavies I like to Dmash>DashAttack>Uairstring/Nair.. I never pulled that up in a tournament, tho...

Player-3

Smash Hero
vs marth he shouldnt be fairing you while you're grounded or he should be getting ***** for it,

lol

mk froll too good

marth going to fair you?

FROLL BEHIND AND LOL AT HIM

TOO GOOD

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
2-3 times a second, just to get high enough to AutoCancel and no more.
When I'm trapping my opponent on the higher part, I do press it faster, IDK, i just mash it while shouting "DIEEEEE!!!" or something...

Also, any tip for improving reflexes? I royally suck because of my terrible reaction time...

Exdeath

Smash Master
Also, any tip for improving reflexes? I royally suck because of my terrible reaction time...
I'm working on this as well. I'm starting to play reflex-intensive games (I started Contra 3 this morning -- it took me half an hour to make it past the first level haha). I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well, besides playing games like that (which do help a bunch) one way i've found to work on reflexes (and find out your current reflexes) is to 1) have a friend/computer (friend is better cuz of certain psychological reasons) be wario pick snake and try to tech chase on pure reaction. Cuz against wario it's possible. 2) have a snake sticky you. And then have him at a random unannounced time activate it and try to PS it on reaction or for an easier beginning pick fox and try to down-b it on reaction and work up to PS. This helps study and progress your reflexes(and condition you against snakes :troll:) i remember anti made a allisbrawl blog about how to improve them but these are ways i've slightly experimented with. (cuz my reflexes are already good when im in my *mode*)

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Well, besides playing games like that (which do help a bunch) one way i've found to work on reflexes (and find out your current reflexes) is to 1) have a friend/computer (friend is better cuz of certain psychological reasons) be wario pick snake and try to tech chase on pure reaction. Cuz against wario it's possible. 2) have a snake sticky you. And then have him at a random unannounced time activate it and try to PS it on reaction or for an easier beginning pick fox and try to down-b it on reaction and work up to PS. This helps study and progress your reflexes(and condition you against snakes :troll:) i remember anti made a allisbrawl blog about how to improve them but these are ways i've slightly experimented with. (cuz my reflexes are already good when im in my *mode*)
Interesting ways. Thanks. However, PS'ing Snake's C4 it's really hard, and most of the time, you need to be looking at him (or hear the "NOW") to PS it, otherwise, it's almost impossible.

I have been practicing Power Shielding against Meta Knight, and it's amazing how you can get some cool punishes. For example, the other day I Powershielded every single hit of a Tornado, and then D-Smashed the other Meta Knight. It felt amazing. Also, Powershielding D-Smashes (Up-B or F-Tilt/D-Smash punish), D-Tilts (the same with D-Smash), F-Tilts (Roll behind the MK in this situation) it's really hard, but I have been practicing that a lot, and it has improved my reaction time a lot (getting those great Punishes and "reads" is great, and, getting that unexpected kill too!).

PS'ing Falco's lasers is great too, it's hard, and requires good reflexes, however, when you get it down, approaching Falco from the ground is much easier! I have been playing my local Falco friends, and my only purpose in that match it's to powershield all the lasers I can. Great practice!

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Interesting ways. Thanks. However, PS'ing Snake's C4 it's really hard, and most of the time, you need to be looking at him (or hear the "NOW") to PS it, otherwise, it's almost impossible.

I have been practicing Power Shielding against Meta Knight, and it's amazing how you can get some cool punishes. For example, the other day I Powershielded every single hit of a Tornado, and then D-Smashed the other Meta Knight. It felt amazing. Also, Powershielding D-Smashes (Up-B or F-Tilt/D-Smash punish), D-Tilts (the same with D-Smash), F-Tilts (Roll behind the MK in this situation) it's really hard, but I have been practicing that a lot, and it has improved my reaction time a lot (getting those great Punishes and "reads" is great, and, getting that unexpected kill too!).

PS'ing Falco's lasers is great too, it's hard, and requires good reflexes, however, when you get it down, approaching Falco from the ground is much easier! I have been playing my local Falco friends, and my only purpose in that match it's to powershield all the lasers I can. Great practice!
1) you just proved my point. It is hard. That's why i said start with wario techcchase or fox down b until you think you can take on the PS challenge. You know your good once you can consistently PS his random C4 :)
2) The NOW is one of reaction triggers. That's why the other person is suppose to do it at random unexpected times. So you can improve and test your reactions.

also np ^^

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
1) you just proved my point. It is hard. That's why i said start with wario techcchase or fox down b until you think you can take on the PS challenge. You know your good once you can consistently PS his random C4 :)
2) The NOW is one of reaction triggers. That's why the other person is suppose to do it at random unexpected times. So you can improve and test your reactions.

also np ^^

1) For sure, practice makes perfect.

2) PS'ing random C4's is really useful against Snake, I have saved myself sometimes from a "Lucky" PS on a C4 (or wario farts). I still remember this, I was playing in a national tournament (chile) and I had to face a Wario in the next round. In game 2 (I won game 1), we were both at the last stock with 120%. I missed an attack, and he farted (a little bit late) and I PS'ed it (I had a little shield). Then, I jumped and N-Air him, edgeguard, Bait, D-Smash to win the game. :). PS practice :)

I found this cool Powershield Picture on google:

:147:

Top Bottom