• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Staco

Smash Champion
Since you can just buffer shield after missing an attack it´s kind of easy to PS, if the enemy misses the punish for a few frames.
Semifer is complaining about that all the time, since it´s kind of broken.
You get a bigger reward for the enemy failing a little bit with the punish timing than failing a lot with the punish timing.

Exdeath

Smash Master
It's easier to power shield something than to use Fox' Down-B. For one, PS can be active frames 1-4 IIRC, while Fox' Down-B is invincible frames 1-3. Furthermore, Down-B naturally has a greater chance of being slower via tech skill because it requires two buttons to be pressed instead of one. Do you have a link to Anti's post on improving reaction time.

Since you can just buffer shield after missing an attack it´s kind of easy to PS, if the enemy misses the punish for a few frames.
Semifer is complaining about that all the time, since it´s kind of broken.
You get a bigger reward for the enemy failing a little bit with the punish timing than failing a lot with the punish timing.
That happens to me a lot when I try to punish landings :(.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well, then i guess that's just me...i just find it easier to Down B his c4 when im practicing it.

I don't have it. But i'll try to find it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Can someone please tell me how many frames MK can hold his shield for and what frame is the last frame before his shield breaks?

Also if you were to let go before it broke on the very last frame, how many frames would it take to recharge fully?

earla

Smash Lord
who are the top mk's atm, or up and coming mk players?

any new good mk vids?

Can someone please tell me how many frames MK can hold his shield for and what frame is the last frame before his shield breaks?

Also if you were to let go before it broke on the very last frame, how many frames would it take to recharge fully?
what use could this possibly have

Exdeath

Smash Master

All characters' shields are identical in terms of how long they can be held and replenished (though I think Yoshi has a frame or two of difference somewhere). Shields start at 50 health and drop by 0.28 per frame - that's ~178.5 frames (~3 seconds). Shields regenerate at 0.07 per frame, so from theoretical 0 it would be fully charged after ~714.25 frames (~11.9 seconds).

earla

Smash Lord
hi.

i want to start practicing di with a friend.

what are some vital combos to practice di'ing out of and how?
any training tips regarding di?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
With grounded it's all about timing. Aerial, I don't even see how it would be possible or why to use it.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
If the MK knows what he's doing, he can hit you out of Nado with Shuttle, it's the same concept of hitting Snake out of Cypher. You aim for MK's body in the Nado by Shuttling and that in turn knocks him out of Nado and you trade hits and keep from going into free fall.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
You can Aerial Shuttle Loop a tornado if the other player has not pressed the B Button more than 2 times. I have tested this in Friendlies a lot, and if you hit the tornado BEFORE he presses the B button more than two times, you will always hit the Meta knight (trade, so you get hit by the tornado and not SD, like gimping Snake).

However, if he presses the B Button more than 2 times, tornado beats the Shuttle Loop (unless, you angle it to hit the tornado from below with initial hitbox, this way, you can beat the tornado too -but sometimes, you won't get hit, so be careful to not SD-).

Also, I'm not sure about this:

If you hit the Mk with a Shuttle Loop from below, and if he presses the B Button more than 5+ times, does the Shuttle Loop -From that Angle- Beat the tornado?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Yeah, it doesn't matter the amount of times MK hits the B button, as long as you hit MK's body in the Nado from below or the side, Up-B will knock him out of Nado

C.J.

Smash Master
Has anyone tried Shielding and then dropping through a platform? Is it practical?
Yes, and it's amazing. It's really hard to do consistently normally. A million times more difficult to do it when it counts.

But, the drop is 1 frame, so, if you predict it, most characters can even punish MK for uairing their shield if you're on a platform w/ a kill move.

It's amazing, just stupidly hard.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Yes, and it's amazing. It's really hard to do consistently normally. A million times more difficult to do it when it counts.

But, the drop is 1 frame, so, if you predict it, most characters can even punish MK for uairing their shield if you're on a platform w/ a kill move.

It's amazing, just stupidly hard.
What is the input process? Does it avoid shield drop frames?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Kuro: Just shield and slowly press down on analog stick and you'll drop through. No shield drop frames homie.

So if I were to perfect this....I can shield drop through and Usmash? This is ****, I'm get it down before EU people do and then I'll be the king of SV :awesome:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I wasn't just talking about MK's Uair. I was saying in general, otherwise idk dog LOL.

Maybe, Shield drop through>FF>Usmash=Profit???

C.J.

Smash Master
What is the input process? Does it avoid shield drop frames?
Yeah you just press down at the right pressure/angle/whatever you wanna call it. And then yeah, you just fall. No shield drop or w/e. It beats all platform pressure. So good

@Kuro: Just shield and slowly press down on analog stick and you'll drop through. No shield drop frames homie.

So if I were to perfect this....I can shield drop through and Usmash? This is ****, I'm get it down before EU people do and then I'll be the king of SV :awesome:
Kinda. You can't slowly press down. It has to be one motion. Can't be a slow thing though. If you spotdodge, you went too far down. If your shield gets angled, not far enough.
*FUN FACT* The pressure for this is REALLY similar to being able to crouch on a platform w/o dropping through the platform (again, in one motion. Don't slowly do it until you crouch.)

EDIT: The BEST part? MK's jump is 5 frames (everyone else's is at least 6). So, his uair OOS used to be frame 7. (fair is out on frame 4? That'd make fair OOS frame 9). Well, platform drop OOS is 1 frame, mid-air jump is one frame. Congrats, MK's uair OOS, on a platform, is now frame 4. His fair OOS (assuming it comes out frame 4) is now frame 6 OOS.

Exdeath

Smash Master

MK can air dodge/hit you before Usmash will come out.

Exdeath

Smash Master
EDIT: The BEST part? MK's jump is 5 frames (everyone else's is at least 6). So, his uair OOS used to be frame 7. (fair is out on frame 4? That'd make fair OOS frame 9). Well, platform drop OOS is 1 frame, mid-air jump is one frame. Congrats, MK's uair OOS, on a platform, is now frame 4. His fair OOS (assuming it comes out frame 4) is now frame 6 OOS.
Some of your frame data is wrong. Fair comes out on frame 6, not 4. Also, ~1/3 of the cast shares MK's -5 frame jump. IIRC falling through the platform is -2, so it's only a 3 frame advantage to falling through shield instead of jumping through shield and a 7 frame advantage to dropping shield>fall through platform. The characters who gain the most from falling through shield IMO are Marth (eliminates a blind spot and is generally very good), Olimar (see Marth), and Yoshi (extreme difference in frame advantage). I talked with Hilt about this for hours about a year ago. :p

Well he has 9 frames of lag so if done perfectly that's not true :D

But no1 could do that O.O that'd be like omfgwtfhaxtechskill.
Fox' Usmash comes out on 8 IIRC, and MK's Uair is -10 on block. MK's fastest action would be to air dodge, however for the sake of argument we will say that he Fairs, which comes out on frame 6. Dropping through a platform is -2 IIRC, so it would be Fox' -10 vs. MK's -16. After Fox lands on the ground, he will have a minimum of 2 frames landing lag (-12 vs. -16). That means that Fox must fall for 4 frames or less in order to trade with MK's Fair. Meta Knight's air dodge's invincibility comes out 4 frames faster than Fair's hit box.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Yeah, it doesn't matter the amount of times MK hits the B button, as long as you hit MK's body in the Nado from below or the side, Up-B will knock him out of Nado
Thanks P4.

So, If you angle the Shuttle Loop correctly, you can actually "edgeguard" Meta Knight's tornado "the Snake Way"! Awesome. I have done this a few times, but I prefer to do a D-Air from above always (safer option. If I fail the Shuttle Loop I let a free opportunity for my opponent to return to the stage, and letting free edgeguards is how you lose games, sometimes).

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Thanks P4.

So, If you angle the Shuttle Loop correctly, you can actually "edgeguard" Meta Knight's tornado "the Snake Way"! Awesome. I have done this a few times, but I prefer to do a D-Air from above always (safer option. If I fail the Shuttle Loop I let a free opportunity for my opponent to return to the stage, and letting free edgeguards is how you lose games, sometimes).
Yeah I'm the same, it's just sometime you're in the position to where if you wanna hit MK out of his Nado it'll have to be an Up-B.

Top Bottom