• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm also going to note that surgically changing the metagame != advancing the metagame.

If I decided to ban jumping except for offstage, I'm sure it would change the metagame a great deal; but to say that the metagame progressed because of this change is fallacious. The metagame slowly progresses. With a huge change, it changes drastically. herp derp

I bet you lose to good players who do practice. It's not realistic to win even with MK without practice.
Pretty sure that OS just learned people instead. At least here in Ohio he does particularly well against the tops of our state without practicing (even though he's in KY now).

:phone:

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Nah you just gave a one sided post so I decided to give a one sided response

Well the truth is the pros were the important ones and the ones that entertained us through livestreams but thats all going to change now except some pros that will still be here like Ally.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I'm not entertained by cheap MK dittos, honestly. Good riddance.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
I'm not entertained by cheap MK dittos, honestly. Good riddance.
Not like everything was MK dittos, yea it may have been the most played of the dittos but if you or anyone else didn't want to see mk dittos on grand finals why the hell didn't you do something about it/get better. Either way, if there was always MK dittos on finals like M2K vs Ally or something like that, doesn't that tell you something? THEY ARE THE BEST AND THATS WHY THEY ARE THERE AGAIN AND ONCE MORE AGAIN. So if they are the best then it really won't matter if they don't use mk they will most probably still be there. Unfortunately M2K won't after Apex 2012 since I beleieve he is going to quit. And besides you use jigglypuff, is he even viable?

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Well the truth is the pros were the important ones and the ones that entertained us through livestreams but thats all going to change now except some pros that will still be here like Ally.
Pros are important yes but pros will only go where there is a lot of money. Which at that point the pot fillers are important. The whole entertained thin is opinionated I don't think majority of m2ks matches are "entertaining". And change isn't always a bad thing

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Pros are important yes but pros will only go where there is a lot of money. Which at that point the pot fillers are important. The whole entertained thin is opinionated I don't think majority of m2ks matches are "entertaining". And change isn't always a bad thing

We all have our opinions about what is "entertaining" I guess. We'll just have to see but I dont see this change being good thats the thing.

Gambe, what was the last major Brawl or even Smash tournament you placed in?

^ Because Gimpy has teh funnies
Where does that even come in?

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Not like everything was MK dittos, yea it may have been the most played of the dittos but if you or anyone else didn't want to see mk dittos on grand finals why the hell didn't you do something about it/get better. Either way, if there was always MK dittos on finals like M2K vs Ally or something like that, doesn't that tell you something? THEY ARE THE BEST AND THATS WHY THEY ARE THERE AGAIN AND ONCE MORE AGAIN. So if they are the best then it really won't matter if they don't use mk they will most probably still be there. Unfortunately M2K won't after Apex 2012 since I beleieve he is going to quit. And besides you use jigglypuff, is he even viable?
Ally stays because he doesn't need MK, M2K leaves because he needs MK. Don't quote me on that, but apparently he said something like "I'm the best MK, but not the best player".

Jiggs is mostly an awful character, yes.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Well you seem to be commenting on how this is bad for the competitive community. Are you even a part of it?
I believe yes, if i play the game then yea im part of it, I've attended three offline tourneys before and haven't placed all that bad so yea, even though people may not know who the hell I am.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Ally stays because he doesn't need MK, M2K leaves because he needs MK. Don't quote me on that, but apparently he said something like "I'm the best MK, but not the best player".

Jiggs is mostly an awful character, yes.
Ok I agree that M2K is the best MK and Ally is probably the best player overall (just cause of his wide variety of characters). And maybe it is true M2K does need MK to win but that does not degrade the fact of how truly good he is at this game. Besides, Brawl being the game it is (slow) and him coming from a smash game such as melee that thrives on speed, it was just obvious that the perfect character for him was going to be MK and he made him what it is today. I still think MK just shouldn't have been banned.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
There are plenty of fast characters, it's just that they're not unfairly overpowered.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
And before anyone says anything, sure, MK mains may have a little ego of their own but its rightfully so that they have been succesful at the game and most arent just good cause of MK but are also good with other characters. So, you can't come out and say "Oh he only wins because he uses MK so cheap" because thats just not true, yes it may take less effort but it does not mean its free.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
If you want to win/be a winner you must pick a good character thats law.
This is why, for those who care only about winning and making money, NOT choosing MK is downright stupid. That's just wrong, the game shouldn't revolve around one single character.

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
Well congrats anyways on scaring away the top players the ones that provided us with good shows on livestreams while reaffirming your casual community.
Good one

Yeah i guess if you actually find MK's timing out others entertaining.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
And before anyone says anything, sure, MK mains may have a little ego of their own but its rightfully so that they have been succesful at the game and most arent just good cause of MK but are also good with other characters.
I know a lot of bad players who need MK to not suck so much. That doesn't happen that often with mains of other characters. Probably because if you main any other character, you need to second someone because of bad MUs.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
And before anyone says anything, sure, MK mains may have a little ego of their own but its rightfully so that they have been succesful at the game and most arent just good cause of MK but are also good with other characters. So, you can't come out and say "Oh he only wins because he uses MK so cheap" because thats just not true, yes it may take less effort but it does not mean its free.
I dunno, there have been scenarios, at least in my case, where I handily defeated some multi-mainers' not MK, then got ***** by their MK for the remainder of the set.

There are actually quite a few players in NYC where this occurs to them; not just to me, actually, so idk...

Battousai780

Smash Ace
This is why, for those who care only about winning and making money, NOT choosing MK is downright stupid. That's just wrong, the game shouldn't revolve around one single character.
Hey derpface, if you only care about winning, you will never get good at the game.

In my region, the players I beat with MK I still beat with other characters. The players I lose to, I will still lose to. (with the exception of one person against whom my PEACH does better than my MK)

If the results are the same depending on who I pick, why can't I just play the character I'd rather use? It's just that when you get to a good enough skill level you realize that the gap between MK and other characters isn't as big.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Sure, then MK dominating tournaments like he does just means you're better than everyone else.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Sure, then MK dominating tournaments like he does just means you're better than everyone else.
Uh yeah, it pretty much does. I laugh at all the scrubby MK's with the same mindset you have. More people to beat on the road to victory.

In all seriousness, this whole argument that MK wins tourneys is somewhat fallacious. If you take the ratio of peoplewhoplayMK/peoplewhowintourneyswithMK you find that MK isn't that big of a deal. The people who win tourneys do so because they are GOOD. In the past 3 years, I've won money like 3 times and attend tourneys on a frequent basis. Picking MK has not made me do any better, I just prefer to play with him. I still had to go through the process of getting ***** to get better.

get ***** eventually do better <---- how learning works

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
The thing is, when theres money involved it isn't stupid to choose the winning option.
Good one

Yeah i guess if you actually find MK's timing out others entertaining.
It depends, I always thought of it as a strategy, It's not exactly a "piece of cake" to time out someone succesfully. Either way, I don't see that many time outs occur often.

I dunno, there have been scenarios, at least in my case, where I handily defeated some multi-mainers' not MK, then got ***** by their MK for the remainder of the set.

There are actually quite a few players in NYC where this occurs to them; not just to me, actually, so idk...
Yea in some cases that happens but like top level MKs are probably going to win with mk or without him, but it is true that some people that can't win with a character go to MK for the win. Now, if you aren't good enough to beat those people that go to MK for a desperate win then you just didn't deserve to win in the first place. Get my drift?

Technicaly yes it does mean it but it applys differently for other scenarios.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
What people don't understand is that MK definitely has the tools that make him the best such as speed, range, and all the other aspects that make a good character. You still must learn how to use these characteristics to win, and I must say that doing so is not easy when you play against people who have mastered their character as well.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
It's not easy as in, MK doesn't play itself.

I main Jiggs, learning her is way, WAY more difficult and even if you master her (which I haven't done yet), you are at a huge disadvantage against ton of characters. And it's not a bottom-tier-only thing - Snake has a very difficult time against DDD and Marth, Diddy gets owned even by Luigi and Peach, Falco is destroyed by Pikachu, etc.

Learning MK is awesome because it DOES take less effort, and he does great against pretty much everyone. As such, there are tons of MKs and again - the game revolving around one single character is wrong.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Around here, no one plays any other "version" of Brawl. So if I want to attend tourneys and have people to play with, I have to play regular Brawl. And I like it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And replied to the video.(whether on YouTube or here) No need to nearly double posting to tell us. Oy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom