• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
These are interesting statistics but what are they for?
They are testing for MK departing from the rest of the cast with respect to certain metrics. With the popularity metric, a significant result would imply over-centralizing behavior. With the top 8 frequency metric, a significant result would imply overpowered behavior.

None of these tests can produce a result of "ban" or "don't ban". They can only provide information about the trends seen in the smash community. That information can then be used to make decisions (and some of my previous work has been utilized to an extent).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Why do people keep acting like MK being banned will make Peach way better? Peach gets beaten pretty easily by Falco and Snake, and Snake at least is probably gonna be PRETTY popular now. I assume Falco will, too.
Because she will be. Falco doesn't even really molest Peach all that much, only Snake does because of his sheer survivability and damage output. Some characters have to adjust the way they play (especially to decrease some of their general bread-and-butter strengths), such as Pikachu when he's fighting against Peach (ESAM can vouch for this kind of adaptation I'm sure), in order to produce more fruitful results against a certain matchup that is usually considered by the majority to be of the "shutdown" variety. Trust me when I tell you this, Peach can fight Falco pretty effectively, given a simple style adjustment. Snake will be her only true trouble matchup in the near future, granted he doesn't already get eliminated in bracket by his more difficult matchups that will be popping up more often now. Maining a single character will now be a beautiful system of "pick your poison" if you don't decide to learn another character to cover their bad matchups (or if you aren't amazing enough with your character to close the gap anyway), honestly.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Don't forget Marth. He's a soft counter to her.

Marth alone could keep her down imo.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Soft counter, yes.

But in my honest opinion, both of the aforementioned matchups are generally more difficult for her than Marth is. At the very least, she can sort of compete with his zoning and edgeguard him rather well. That could just be my bias speaking for me since I tend to like fighting Marth though, lol. You might be right though considering the possibility of more new Marth mains coming into play than the other two.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yay go purple names.

Nike you know I've begun to take up the sword as well right? I should have some vids being uploaded from SiiS soon, would you mind giving me some criticism when they are? :)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Eh, a couple months back I finally hit my breaking point with her after being filtered out of brackets early by MK, no matter how much I practiced that matchup. Enough was enough.

But since he's gone, I'll definitely be in the lab with her again for some matchups. Going to keep her as a sub, but I'll be playing more Marth in general.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's in the same boat as Peach.
Lucario becomes his only real problem match up, and Lucario has other problems to worry about, like Dedede, Snake, and Olimar.

Feels good. :applejack:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
shouldn't the title of the thread be.

"MK is officially optionally banned until Apex"?

and Mc-killa ruining the purple party name. espy counts as one

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
For starters, I said one of the most technical, it is an important distinction to make.

I main one of the hardest characters timing wise in both Blaz Blue and Melee (Carl and ICs) and I consider the two games to be of pretty similar technicality, though Melee certainly feels faster...

Of course, I could be wrong, lets look at two other fighting games I play. Melee is more technical than SF4 and 3S.

Oh, also MvC3, oh hey, Melee is more technical.
Well, actually you said "Melee is one of the hardest fighting games ever created." While Melee may require more button presses than most other fighting games, it doesn't require the precision, timing, or planning that most others do. In Melee, the control scheme is much more simplified and you can mash buttons without any penalty. Melee has much more hit stun than traditional fighters as well, making combos much easier. Melee also doesn't have a meter to manage or (correct me if I'm wrong) option selects.

I think it's a little silly to argue this point. It really doesn't matter if Melee is difficult or not. The fact is Melee is fun and competitive; it doesn't need anything else.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Well, actually you said "Melee is one of the hardest fighting games ever created." While Melee may require more button presses than most other fighting games, it doesn't require the precision, timing, or planning that most others do. In Melee, the control scheme is much more simplified and you can mash buttons without any penalty. Melee has much more hit stun than traditional fighters as well, making combos much easier. Melee
also doesn't have a meter to manage or (correct me if I'm wrong) option selects.

I think it's a little silly to argue this
point. It really doesn't matter if Melee is
difficult or not. The fact is Melee is fun
and competitive; it doesn't need
anything else.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

Melee is not the greatest or hardest fighting game ever made.

:phone:

Nike.

Smash Hero
I actually think the title should be changed to "URC Officially Bans Metaknight." The current one makes it look like the community in general has banned him, which isn't the case. It's kind of contradictory when they pull the "Only URC has banned him, you can still host with whatever rules you want" card.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well, 75% of the community voted for the ban, so saying the community in general has banned him isn't a stretch from the truth.
...So I reckon it kinda IS the case that the community banned him. They definitely contributed.:applejack:

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
I actually think the title should be changed to "URC Officially Bans Metaknight." The current one makes it look like the community in general has banned him, which isn't the case. It's kind of contradictory when they pull the "Only URC has banned him, you can still host with whatever rules you want" card.
I agree with the ban, but this is very sensible.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I can't believe this thread is still going.

This is largely fair, and most players support the ban.

I'm sure some will miss the knight's legacy.

For some people, like Ganon mains, will tremble and cry when they remember their merciless torment at the hands of MK.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, 75% of the community voted for the ban, so saying the community in general has banned him isn't a stretch from the truth.
...So I reckon it kinda IS the case that the community banned him. They definitely contributed.:applejack:
LOL, I say we ban Final Destination. So.... 0.001% of the competitive Brawl community wants to ban Final Destination. YEAH! :009:

:grin: :) :088:

Edit: No really, the URC is only as strong as TOs make them.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
And "^^^^^ wtf?" as a post hardly warrants it's own existence. Because of this, I can only assume you are trolling.

This post is an example of metahumour, and the fact that this post, as well as this sentence, is self-reflexive only helps to establish that fact.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alpha Zealot, thirding this. Even the word choice of "official" is debatable, isn't? Is there genuine authority there?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I vote we have a thread on the subject of banning Snake or Diddy Kong. The reason I say that is because if this rule stays for quite an extended period of time, popular support continues to back it, and banning of various things (stages, further banning of "X" amount of how often you can use an attack, banning legitimate chain grabs like Wobbling in Melee, and banning of things to make bottom tier characters more viable) happens more frequently, it is highly likely a noticeable amount of players will want them to be banned, and any top tier character, really.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I vote we have a thread on the subject of banning Snake or Diddy Kong, because if this stays, and banning of various things happens more frequently, it is highly likely a noticeable amount of players will want them to be banned, and any top tier character, really.
no one who is competent would even consider banning other characters.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Well what do you see now? Does it have anything discussional about it?

Because the last three pages sure as hell don't look like it does.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
no one who is competent would even consider banning other characters.
Yes, but when has competence been a part of this debate=??? Plus it's all about escalation.

First you ban stages. Sure, most of them deserve to be banned. Then you ban some questionable stages. PictoChat, Norfair, sure. We all hate planking, for obvious reason, so it's banned. Now, you're appealing to the masses. They want They hate camping and stalling so there are rules to stop it (of which actually helps Meta Knight). Then, they place edge grab limits, and other limits (which actually helps Meta Knight). The community then starts hating Meta Knight. Then they fix it to where the limits are less friendly to Meta Knight. Then, they ban Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, etc. Now, the mass wants Meta Knight banned. And whaddaya know, they ban it.

See what I mean... bans have become an acceptable way of dealing with everything we don't like. The fact that in Brawl we need edge grab limits, we have such an outcry to ban every non-neutral stage, and that we have so much anti-everything. I think it really shows some immaturity in some parts of the community, and unwillingness to learn how to not suck.

Well what do you see now? Does it have anything discussional about it?
I just hope this doesn't start a vicious cycle, and that the stage list isn't condense to all neutral and flat stages. I don't want to attend tournaments with only FD, BF, and Smashville. That would make me sleepy.

Currently there are tons of people calling for EVERY counter-pick stage to be banned. Rainbow Cruise (because of Meta Knight, which is now not a concern), Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, PS2, PS1 (I'm not kidding!), Brinstar, etc. A lot of these people aren't using reasons like glitches, frame rate issues, character imbalances (like what happens to Olimar, which rules should be made for to assist him), or a stage being broken. A lot people just want any stage that isn't neutral banned. Apparently being good at counter-picking and counter-pick stages is irrelevant to a vast amount of smashers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom