• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
I can't tell who is raging more.. You, or the select number of people who are against the ban of MK.

Let's make it a duel.

Thiocyanide Vs. People crying over MK

Go!
Because you're new here

Thio has been antiban for the longest time.
I'm so happy he's this salty...

When you need three or four surgical rules to bring MK into the realm of reasonable, it's probably time to ban him. That's really the most convincing reason, in my opinion.
I agree with this, but I would expect that with the character banned, the rules would be removed as well.

The LGL is still up, which is somewhat disappointing. I'm hoping that they'll change that during the experimental ruleset period that ends around APEX.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
LGL-less Jigglypuff. Can't wait.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Only if he takes off that tiara and show the manly side of himself. For now, he shalt forever lie in his feminime abyss of imbalancement!
He is forever a white fake boy with a tiara.

Marth is not top(god) tier.
Ice climbers are probably on top of it. And they climbed so far.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Because you're new here

Thio has been antiban for the longest time.
I'm so happy he's this salty...
Being anti-ban, or even salty about it is irrelevant to how Thio responded that one time. Lol. It was simply pointless, and wasn't contributing to anything. XD

man I really hope to see a diverse metagame now after this maybe we'll even see some G&W mains.
I'm thinking about maining G&W actually, him or Marth.. **** Diddy,Falco, and Snake. XD

Eww.. 502 error hit me again, supposedly. Sorry :c

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Better yet, stop playing the obviously-****ty game.
Chibo infracted this post.

I'll take another infraction to say that Chibo is obviously ****ing ******** because this isn't trolling. Saying that if another character becomes banworthy that we should probably move on is a legitimate statement and the fact that you infracted it only worsens my opinion of you.
I actually would have to agree with thio on this. if another character becomes the new MK, I'm quitting . even if it's not diddy/snake/falco whoever. this game is really bad if we had another character worth banning after the first one.

and I too have been infracted by chibo when I was being dead serious in the pound V discussion. he infracted me twice for me posting my opinion on matters and what people should do. I didn't even notice until like 2 weeks ago but those infraction were actually reversed by a higher up ( I'm guessing ankoku or a admin) because I didn't deserve them

man I really hope to see a diverse metagame now after this maybe we'll even see some G&W mains.
unpossible. G&W mains can't exist because he's bad on neutrals

:troll:

oh and for anyone still counting

that's 6 people coming back to the scene and 2 leaving.

ggs anti-ban

Divinokage

Smash Legend
All it takes is some creative people finding new technology worthy of being a broken strategy and then the game will die for sure.. lol.

-Ran

Smash Master
I was even infracted in this thread. With that said, if there comes a time when another character become as overcentralizing as MK was, I am throwing in the towel. I feel that won't be the case though.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
All it takes is some creative people finding new technology worthy of being a broken strategy and then the game will die for sure.. lol.

it takes lots people actually doing stuff with that and winning for a game to die.

see: nobody playing super super gay with jiggs in melee except 1 person.
-Ran said:
I was even infracted in this thread
I haven't been infracted (yet) in this thread but I'm pretty sure I have like 5 points because of complaing about jebus on the open forums

Cassio

Smash Master
Not to be a ****, but Europe needs to get out of here with "we didn't need to ban MK" You don't need to ban MK because your MK players are not very good. Orion got 2nd at a national beating Leon in LF then got like 65th at a New Jersey regional. He's one of your best MKs and he's only good, not great. Same with Japan, your MKs just don't compare to ours who have brought the character to the absolute brokenness he can be.
This post should sound ignorant to anyone that isnt blatantly biased towards wanting MK banned. Im disappointed respectable members stated and agreed with it. I guess ally's MK doesnt deserve to place above 65th at a NJ regional as well? Not to mention BPC who no one considers worth any merit as an MK got something like 33rd at this same tournament (no offense BPC).

Honest question you should be asking yourself, can you even name 3 of the top 8 japanese MKs?
you missed the 3 week long poll to ban mk?
rofl, my point exactly ;)

To be honest Im really disappointed in the lazy way numbers were gathered for the communities opinion. Even moreso since I saw chibo and others directly cite the polls ratio as something legitimate and highly considered in the decision as opposed to a far from perfect reference. It bothers me moreso since, as TOs, you certainly had the capability to poll the community itself, yet opted for an online poll.

Excluding AZ's post I am happy to see minimal references to overcentralization and brokeness, vs the way rules are catered to him, even if I still think there should have been been more tournament exploration with that.

Last concerns are that the methods, information, and data in regards to how this decision were made are still very ambigious and its a bit concerning. Especially in regards to some ambiguous reference bbr conversations etc. Its particularly concerning as the vote was 14-0 and sounds as though anti-ban never really had any meaningful say at all in this discussion or decision.

I do appreciate those of you who have been involved, read the threads, and responded to concerns (yes even you xyro). The effort hasnt gone unnoticed by me at least.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I actually would have to agree with thio on this. if another character becomes the new MK, I'm quitting . even if it's not diddy/snake/falco whoever. this game is really bad if we had another character worth banning after the first one.

and I too have been infracted by chibo when I was being dead serious in the pound V discussion. he infracted me twice for me posting my opinion on matters and what people should do. I didn't even notice until like 2 weeks ago but those infraction were actually reversed by a higher up ( I'm guessing ankoku or a admin) because I didn't deserve them
People are free to make mistakes at time, we're only human. People have to realize the kind of task it is for staff to cover a thread like this lol. This got over 60 pages (15ppp) in 3 hours or so, and is now at 106 pages, with over 1,500 comments - which a lot have been trolling or flaming comments. People are free to discuss with me (or whoever the infractor was) via PM (or AIM or something if they don't mind) about the infraction, and if it's deserved they may reverse it. If the mod won't reverse it and you still think they are in the wrong, make a post about it in forum support to get it admin reviewed.

However even with saying all that, making a post that simply contains only this:

Better yet, stop playing the obviously-****ty game.
Yes, that is infractable. It's nothing but spam comment and trolling.

In fact a couple hours ago I infracted someone and talked with him via pm about it and ended up reversing it. We understand it all too lol, I've been infracted before even as an smod.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of stupid **** that's already present in this game, Ripple.

That said, we'll see how this pans out.

Smooth Criminal
I know there is an *** load.... but its not concentrated. it's spread out between at least 10ish characters.

diddy, falco, olimar, ICs, D3, (even lower tiers have dumb ****) sheik, DK, and more depending on what you think is stupid

Cassio

Smash Master
To be fair a lot of anti-ban feels the same way. The only way I feel the decision is acceptable is to acknowledge that I'm just going to have to be ok with playing a casual fighter at unity tournaments. Granted this may have always been the case, but its pretty cut and dry now.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Is Lucario's aura considered stupid, like idk what to call stupid since it's arbitrary.
when stuff happens to you even though you know it shouldn't.

aura could be considered dumb because it's like x-factor :troll:

moradazo

Smash Rookie
Metaknight was the most powerful than other

14 against 0???? congratulations about that decision

People are free to make mistakes at time, we're only human. People have to realize the kind of task it is for staff to cover a thread like this lol. This got over 60 pages (15ppp) in 3 hours or so, and is now at 106 pages, with over 1,500 comments - which a lot have been trolling or flaming comments. People are free to discuss with me (or whoever the infractor was) via PM (or AIM or something if they don't mind) about the infraction, and if it's deserved they may reverse it. If the mod won't reverse it and you still think they are in the wrong, make a post about it in forum support to get it admin reviewed.
I'm gonna back Chibo up on this. The task was absolutely killer for us mods, buuut we stuck through it and refused to lock the thread again. Mistakes happen, especially when trying to make quick judgment calls while keeping up with the speed of the thread, but all we ask is that people cooperate with us to resolve the situation properly.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
You're excused for being so goddamned smooth.

Also, I hooooonestly don't think another character/tactic will overcentralize the metagame...At least not for awhile and it won't be anywhere close to MK.

Also also, shoutouts to the mods, reading this thread was a nightmare I can't even imagine moderating it.

Steam

Smash Hero
I don't know why people think banning MK ruins everything about the game...

I think if anything the joke was how the GFs of nationals always played out...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Same goes for D3 vs Luigi/DK situations. DK and Luigi have similar flaws vs D3. Why help them? Why not ban blizzard spam against Ganon as ICs, since Ganon has no answer to that? Ganon players lose every matchup by a considerable margin. It just doesn't make sense to help out characters with flaws like that but not others just because standing infinite looks gay.
Uh, without the infinite D3-Luigi is even, maybe even in luigis favor IMO/from personal matchups. Spamming Blizzard is way different than standing and pushing the stick downwards. I agree that Ness isn't that viable anyway, but that grab release is just stupid. Marth shuts down Ness regardless, I will agree. Lucas has been looking viable from Mekos and FAE imo, Marth shuts them down hard too.

That is a terrible mentality, MK got banned because he's over centralizing, banning him is going to truely help D3 and Marth/Wario-High tier. Getting rid of the Infinite makes DK and Luigi and Lucas viable, at least. In fighting games people should learn their worst matchups, Marth Luigi sucks, BAD. D3-Luigi isn't bad unless they just stand there and grab you.

If Falco gets popular, Pikachu and ICs will rise.
If Pikachu gets popular, Marth and Olimar will rise.
If ICs get popular, Snake, Toon Link, and ROB will rise.
If Marth gets popular, DDD and ROB will rise.
If Olimar gets popular, Peach and ICs will rise.
If Snake gets popular, DDD and Marth will rise.
The ban will help develop Falco-Pika-IC-Marth-Olimar-Snake-ToonL-ROB-D3-Peach. I can see that.

Getting rid of infinites will allow the meta games of Mario-Luigi-DK-
to develop as well, and that's just as valuable.

Even if you protest that you picked random, there's no way of proving it without restarting the game. At which point, even if you WERE playing random, you couldn't simply pick MK again to start the match. Because MK is banned.
Actually, the last paragraph is wrong, IIRC if you quit out of the match, you both have to push start and it will show he chose MK. When you back to the screen it will show that he selected "?" Random right on the screen.

I mused to myself about selecting him on random, and TBH, if people wanted to main RANDOM so they could play as metaknight, I would allow it as TO. MK Banned unless he's a random select. BOOK IT.

DK GOING UP ON THE TIER LIST!!!!!!

oh wait...

BAN INFINITES NEXT!!!
I'm with you brother!

Brawl doesnt have easy to start 0-death combos.
Play more D3 dittos IMO. Falco-Ganon is up there too.

You know, now that I think about it, and someone actually told me this the other day, but this will be the first time in the history of fighting games where a "starter" character(AKA a character that did not require unlocking in order to use) got banned from tournament play...
This is pretty interesting.

I don't know why people think banning MK ruins everything about the game...

I think if anything the joke was how the GFs of nationals always played out...
I think it ruins the game if we ban a character but don't address more real issues with the game that significantly effect the way it's played.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
DK and them are still useable. They can only really get dealt the matchup like that in a counterpick situation guaranteed. The only other time is potentially from a double blind. Also it's many more characters than that, that was just going off the top of my mind without a really well thought out list. But what does happen is that it makes a circle of matchups, which is why I think it's tough to determine who the best few would be.

From a ROB standpoint (since it's what I know best), I can't help but love a meta game that may be taken over by Marth Diddy and ICs, since ROB goes no worse than even against all 3, and I think ROB can beat probably a couple of them as the metagame develops. However if ROB becomes popular and with the absence of MK, DDD may shoot up in popularity which can shut down ROB even worse than MK.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Make Luigi viable so I can play as him!!! His only real hard counters are Marth/Snake/Squirtle IMO without the infinite.

You should see my mustache!!!!

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Uh, without the infinite D3-Luigi is even, maybe even in luigis favor IMO/from personal matchups. Spamming Blizzard is way different than standing and pushing the stick downwards. I agree that Ness isn't that viable anyway, but that grab release is just stupid. Marth shuts down Ness regardless, I will agree. Lucas has been looking viable from Mekos and FAE imo, Marth shuts them down hard too.
How is that fair for D3 mains if they go from an advantaged match-up to disadvantaged match-up then? Luigi vs D3 would definitely be in Luigi's favour without the infinite (which isn't actually an infinite, it's a 35% max combo? Around there anyway), he doesn't have his mobility problem like he normally does, he can get inside D3 way safer, and can juggle him really well.

What's different about spamming blizzard?

The grab release being "stupid" is hardly good enough reasoning to ban it.
That is a terrible mentality, MK got banned because he's over centralizing, banning him is going to truely help D3 and Marth/Wario-High tier. Getting rid of the Infinite makes DK and Luigi and Lucas viable, at least. In fighting games people should learn their worst matchups, Marth Luigi sucks, BAD. D3-Luigi isn't bad unless they just stand there and grab you.
It hardly makes them viable, and why should we make it easier for DK/Lucas players to win, when they could easily pick another character, increasing character usage....

The ban will help develop Falco-Pika-IC-Marth-Olimar-Snake-ToonL-ROB-D3-Peach. I can see that.

Getting rid of infinites will allow the meta games of Mario-Luigi-DK-
to develop as well, and that's just as valuable.
Their metagames can develop, just not against characters they lose to terribly.

Actually, the last paragraph is wrong, IIRC if you quit out of the match, you both have to push start and it will show he chose MK. When you back to the screen it will show that he selected "?" Random right on the screen.

I mused to myself about selecting him on random, and TBH, if people wanted to main RANDOM so they could play as metaknight, I would allow it as TO. MK Banned unless he's a random select. BOOK IT.
While being able to pick MK through random would be funny, it's a bit silly >.>
If you get MK through random just restart the match really.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Rob, my point still stands. You just said to see if it was mk or random, you need to exit out of the game. Which is exactly what I said.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
How is that fair for D3 mains if they go from an advantaged match-up to disadvantaged match-up then?
are you kidding me?

What's different about spamming blizzard?
Are you kidding me? Of all of the "Are you kidding me?" spam that's following this, this one is the I want you to think about the most. getting 1 grab and just pressing Z/A a billion times is way different than possitioning yourself around the stage to land blizzard.

The grab release being "stupid" is hardly good enough reasoning to ban it.
Are you kidding me?

It hardly makes them viable, and why should we make it easier for DK/Lucas players to win, when they could easily pick another character, increasing character usage....
Are you kidding me? Just pick up a new character!! Derp! Being good enough to have 1 tournament ready character is tough enough, 2 is reasonable, but more than that and you are being unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom