• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Are you kidding me? Of all of the "Are you kidding me?" spam that's following this, this one is the I want you to think about the most. getting 1 grab and just pressing Z/A a billion times is way different than possitioning yourself around the stage to land blizzard.

Are you kidding me? Just pick up a new character!! Derp! Being good enough to have 1 tournament ready character is tough enough, 2 is reasonable, but more than that and you are being unreasonable.
Why do you need more than 2.....? (by DK/Lucas players, I meant DK players or Lucas players, if that's where the confusion stems from...)
Plus I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to play more than 2 characters, look at Ally.

Oh and spamming blizzard against Ganon is hardly hard (lol), and as I said, D3 can't even infinite Luigi.

You're not being very convincing here.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
this is pretty cool - maybe i'll pick up the game again

...nah.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
This is an interesting development in the Brawl competitive metagame. I'll be interested to see how people take this, whether they'll stick with the game because they like it, or leave because they can no longer play their favorite character.

That being said, it's good to be playing Melee.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Lux, if someone got MK legally based on my rules set, you would be in trouble!!!! That would be a loss of match if you proven guilty because you are right, you can't choose him, so it's a loss and not a redo. Let people get MK randomly, that would be awesome!

I do see your point, though.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Why do you need more than 2.....? (by DK/Lucas players, I meant DK players or Lucas players, if that's where the confusion stems from...)

Oh and spamming blizzard against Ganon is hardly hard (lol), and as I said, D3 can't even infinite Luigi.

You're not being very convincing here.
You are a good troll, and I need to go back to practicing for the brawl/melee tournament, so you win.

That being said, it's good to be playing Melee.
Amen.

Whoops :/ didn't mean to double post.

It took three years to ban a character that was recognized as over-centralizing less than 4 months after launch.

I think you're wasting your time trying to get character specific infinites banned, bro.

Smash Apprentice
So, I haven't been on these boards in a long time, as I've been on hiatus due to the birth of my first child, and I only just saw this thread/news. I only read 4 pages of responses, so I really don't know how appropriate the story of my brawling will be, but here goes.

I'm a fairly inexperienced Brawler. I joined the tournament community a bit late and mained fox. After a bit of reading on these boards, I decided that I'd practice MK and be ready to put fox away if he got *****, as all signs indicated that he would. I was not afraid to pick the top of the food chain and go from there; I knew I was naturally good at this game and was ready to become the best of the best with the best. I went to a tournament here or there and broke into the money after my 4th (?) tourney. I could tell that people were pissed that I came out of nowhere and started beating people that have been playing competitively since melee. They blamed it on MK. I had fun playing meta knight, but I hated the sadness that he brought.

Almost every tournament I attended had been the first for months, as marriage, college, and work would get in my way. Often, I would have had no practice with anyone in all of that time. I never actually won tournaments, but I started getting quite close. People knew who I was. People knew how quickly I improved. People were scared. People blamed it on MK.

I was planning on getting back into this game; it was time for me to put in a little practice time with AZ. So I checked out the tournament listings and happened upon this thread.

I'm more excited now than I was before. My alts can become mains. I can learn to counter-pick more seriously. I need to learn so many more matchups. People will not necessarily hate me for my character selection. And I can prove that they shouldn't have blamed it on MK.

Furthermore, the time I spent on MK is not without its value. I don't feel cheated out of the time I spent using him, as some opponents of this ban might suggest.

If I'm wrong and I suck without MK, then so be it. That's only proof that the ban is necessary.

tl;dr:
Meta Knight main is excited about Meta Knight ban.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
So, I haven't been on these boards in a long time, as I've been on hiatus due to the birth of my first child, and I only just saw this thread/news. I only read 4 pages of responses, so I really don't know how appropriate the story of my brawling will be, but here goes.

I'm a fairly inexperienced Brawler. I joined the tournament community a bit late and mained fox. After a bit of reading on these boards, I decided that I'd practice MK and be ready to put fox away if he got *****, as all signs indicated that he would. I was not afraid to pick the top of the food chain and go from there; I knew I was naturally good at this game and was ready to become the best of the best with the best. I went to a tournament here or there and broke into the money after my 4th (?) tourney. I could tell that people were pissed that I came out of nowhere and started beating people that have been playing competitively since melee. They blamed it on MK. I had fun playing meta knight, but I hated the sadness that he brought.

Almost every tournament I attended had been the first for months, as marriage, college, and work would get in my way. Often, I would have had no practice with anyone in all of that time. I never actually won tournaments, but I started getting quite close. People knew who I was. People knew how quickly I improved. People were scared. People blamed it on MK.

I was planning on getting back into this game; it was time for me to put in a little practice time with AZ. So I checked out the tournament listings and happened upon this thread.

I'm more excited now than I was before. My alts can become mains. I can learn to counter-pick more seriously. I need to learn so many more matchups. People will not necessarily hate me for my character selection. And I can prove that they shouldn't have blamed it on MK.

Furthermore, the time I spent on MK is not without its value. I don't feel cheated out of the time I spent using him, as some opponents of this ban might suggest.

If I'm wrong and I suck without MK, then so be it. That's only proof that the ban is necessary.

tl;dr:
This is why you're the man, Z.

More MK mains (and players in general) should share this mindset. I'll be happy to face you when you do come back. :)

KoNfucius

Smash Ace

tl;dr:
^ this. i too main mk and i was about to quit until i heard that mk might get banned soon and for some reason it change my whole mentality for the game i became excited it gave me a new reason to play and practice.

B!squick

Smash Master
All I gotta say is ya'll take your meant to be fun party games way too seriously.

Sure, this concerns tournys where money is on the line, but here's the thing: it only effects MK players directly in which case they have plenty of time to pick up a new character or otherwise find or start their own MK Not Banned tourny after the cut off date.

And also keep in mind that a new Smash Bros is on the horizon and I expect we'll be hearing more official announcements and trailers probably during E3 and be playing the next game(s) sometime early 2013.

I mean, really, this is tourny organizers making this decision. If you don't like it, either just accept it or don't go to the tounys. Simple as that.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Why should players who are terrible at this game have an opinion on MK's ban worth being heard? The better you are, the more understanding of the game you have. Literally the only people, with a few exceptions, that wanted MK banned are absolute scrubs.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Why should players who are terrible at this game have an opinion on MK's ban worth being heard? The better you are, the more understanding of the game you have. Literally the only people, with a few exceptions, that wanted MK banned are absolute scrubs.
75% of the community are absolute scrubs? Well they might be, but that would include most top players as well you realise?

B!squick

Smash Master
Yeah---no. Just no.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
You all realize that the MK mains you lost to will still beat you right? Sure, MK absolutely ***** a good bit of the cast on paper (you can still win.) But, MK definitely has hard matchups. If you weren't ******** and picked a GOOD character, you might realize this. Diddy, Falco, Snake, Marth, Wario are definitely not pushovers vs MK.

Seriously though, tournament attendance somewhere in the near past should be required for one to even be able to participate in the poll. In my opinion, placing should factor in too; but then we wouldn't have all these random newbs who think MK is god.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You all realize that the MK mains you lost to will still beat you right? Sure, MK absolutely ***** a good bit of the cast on paper (you can still win.) But, MK definitely has hard matchups. If you weren't ******** and picked a GOOD character, you might realize this. Diddy, Falco, Snake, Marth, Wario are definitely not pushovers vs MK.

Seriously though, tournament attendance somewhere in the near past should be required for one to even be able to participate in the poll. In my opinion, placing should factor in too; but then we wouldn't have all these random newbs who think MK is god.
I main MK, your argument is invalid.

And again, the majority of top players also voted pro ban, DeLux has the data on this.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Actually, most of his "closer" matchups were all quite sugarcoated and are worse than they are on paper when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
I just feel bad 'because the people who decide ban MK... NOBODY IS MK MAINER.
I always see the URC like a "Anti-MK group".
Don't say something like "MK was my second" ... **** that
You aren't losing YOUR ****ing main.
One more thing and i hope some ppl who THINKS like Mr R or Nietono can quote and put in their signature...

We don't need to ban Metaknight because people like Mew2King, Ally, Nairo, ANTi or Tyrant main him, they are the best players in U.S. and they will **** you with or without MK.

Same in regional or local, If someone beat you with a poket MK, is because YOU suck. Please tell me when Mr R lose vs. some pocket MK... Or Leon (he loses vs. a MK (maybe pocket) but the player was Mr R).Or another GOOD player, no like "the best of my city" ... bull****

Last thing... the ban start again because Ally start using MK and all the finales was MK dittos.... (vs. M2K or ANTi)
Love and hate for you Ally <3 ¬¬

PS: Stop losing to pocket MKs :3
PS2: I'm a Mk mainer... so?

AND YES i'm mad I was planning to go to a regional in AZ in April... M2K was confirmed... BUT NOW THE URC **** IT, That tournament is using the Unity... No MK = No Mew2King.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
The poll in itself is completely biased though. Even if I didn't use MK and wasn't pro ban, I'm going to ban him because play to win. Seriously? In the states around me, there is absolutely no MK problem. Can someone show me a region where a bad player actually wins because of MK? ^^^ What he said that people don't understand. The players winning with MK are BETTER than you. In New Orleans, Lee Martin always gets first and JNIG has been getting second consistently. Just for ****s and gigles, Lee beat JNIG with a different character every match including JNIG's main Wario, for both sets he played him in.

Texas is pretty ballin at Smash, and when is the last time MK won HOBO? Gnes will DESTROY MK.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
lol stupid thread is stupid when i was playing brawl alot and mained snake it was the most fun matchup in game and a good challange id rather have a metaknight than vs a marth anyday and alot of other top tiers got good matchups vs mk but yea ban him if you want lool

687 players voted yes.

The ratio of 2.5-3:1 yes:no is constant going as you go from everyone to just the top players.

Again DeLux has the data on this.
lol But that is what I mean. It was a whole 900-1000 people who decided to vote. There are over 100,000 registered players on SWF and likely many times more than that in unique guests over the years.

That vote was far from perfect, but it really is all that we have.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The poll in itself is completely biased though. Even if I didn't use MK and wasn't pro ban, I'm going to ban him because play to win. Seriously? In the states around me, there is absolutely no MK problem. Can someone show me a region where a bad player actually wins because of MK? ^^^ What he said that people don't understand. The players winning with MK are BETTER than you. In New Orleans, Lee Martin always gets first and JNIG has been getting second consistently. Just for ****s and gigles, Lee beat JNIG with a different character every match including JNIG's main Wario, for both sets he played him in.
If you didn't main MK, and you were anti-ban, you wouldn't vote to ban him lol.

And obviously a bad player won't win with MK, the fact you're trying to make that argument shows your lack of understanding.

The URC has said many times the poll wasn't the only reason they decided to ban him, and they looked more deeply into it than just, 75.91% of people voting yes and 24.09% voting no.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
If you didn't main MK, and you were anti-ban, you wouldn't vote to ban him lol.

And obviously a bad player won't win with MK, the fact you're trying to make that argument shows your lack of understanding.

The URC has said many times the poll wasn't the only reason they decided to ban him, and they looked more deeply into it than just, 75.91% of people voting yes and 24.09% voting no.
It's just that everywhere I've been to, people do win against MK. If some players can do it, obviously it's possible. I've seen Tyrant lose to a FOX. Also, I know the mentality of the people on the URC have. I won't say who, but one of these players is an avid pro-banner who only has ever had to fight 1 MK that beats him and could easily do so with any other character? How is this not bull****?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
It's just that everywhere I've been to, people do win against MK. If some players can do it, obviously it's possible. I've seen Tyrant lose to a FOX. Also, I know the mentality of the people on the URC have. I won't say who, but one of these players is an avid pro-banner who only has ever had to fight 1 MK that beats him and could easily do so with any other character? How is this not bull****?
Yep, people can beat MK, that's nice, doesn't mean he isn't destroying the community and isn't well above the abilities of the rest of the cast.

Oh, you know their mentality do you? Do tell, because I highly doubt that TOs would ban him for their sake, and not for the sake of the people paying to enter.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Yep, people can beat MK, that's nice, doesn't mean he isn't destroying the community and is well above the abilities of the rest of the cast.

Oh, you know their mentality do you? Do tell, because I highly doubt that TOs would ban him for their sake, and not for the sake of the people paying to enter.
If you really want to get into the whole "destroying the community" argument, this ban is effectively that. People are so divided, many will quit, our scene is now a joke because we're all so bad we can't deal with one character, and it's taken this long to ban him. TOs might think their banning him for the community sake, but I didn't know that was TOs thought was absolute, infallible truth.

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
For those of you saying Luigi beats DDD w/out infinite, if you're playing a DDD that's playing how they're supposed to be playing vs Luigi, which is slow and patient, which he has the proper range, grab game (we'll most likely spam Bthrow, putting him in a bad position), and overall naturally defensive playstyle to play this way, then that wrecks Luigi, lol. He also can edgeguard Luigi pretty well.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If you really want to get into the whole "destroying the community" argument, this ban is effectively that. People are so divided, many will quit, our scene is now a joke because we're all so bad we can't deal with one character, and it's taken this long to ban him. TOs might think their banning him for the community sake, but I didn't know that was TOs thought was absolute, infallible truth.
lol, as if, you have no valid justification for claiming this.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
For those of you saying Luigi beats DDD w/out infinite, if you're playing a DDD that's playing how they're supposed to be playing vs Luigi, which is slow and patient, which he has the proper range, grab game (we'll most likely spam Bthrow, putting him in a bad position), and overall naturally defensive playstyle to play this way, then that wrecks Luigi, lol. He also can edgeguard Luigi pretty well.
Yeah, what can you expect from people that don't play the game?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Cause it's not like Luigi can play patient as well, oh no, he just rushes in blindly and lets D3 punish him yea?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Cause it's not like Luigi can play patient as well, oh no, he just rushes in blindly and lets D3 punish him yea?
I'm agreeing with the guy I disagreed with heavily earlier on something that isn't related to anything important in the thread!

EVERYONE IS A WINNER!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Finally this broken character's over. Get ***** Meta Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom