• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
That wasn't my point, though.

There is no true neutral stages as is.

And that's why there's multiple matches on multiple stages to determine that. We really don't take a look at a few matches and determine a match up strictly from those.

It takes a lot, man.

Likewise, your way does not do it better either. It ignores every other match that still exists. The only thing the stage does is make the match-up slightly better for one person most of the time. Anytime that a character is clearly winning on one stage most of the time is when the stage is a problem. Until then, that's not a problem whatsoever.

By your logic, every match should be one stage no matter what. If we had a truly neutral one, don't you think we would have tested that by now?
Even then, there are still a lot of matches of top Foxes beating top MKs especially when you consider that often TKD switches characters when he is taken to certain bad stages

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even then, there are still a lot of matches of top Foxes beating top MKs especially when you consider that often TKD switches characters when he is taken to certain bad stages
Okay. Let's pretend for a moment Fox goes even with MK.

MK still pretty much owns most of the cast, and has no character weaknesses. Correct?

Now, Fox also has characters weaknesses. He doesn't win or go even against everyone, right?

Now tell me, who's the overall better and stronger character?

Also, the set results aren't perfect either. Since the course still gives someone an advantage, we can't say those are better. I'd like you to prove that they are actually the only results that should count. It's all on you, Jebus.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think Fox's match-ups against Ice Climbers, Sheik, and Pikachu make using him as a main already rather risky, and using him as a pocket counterpick against Meta Knight to achieve an even match-up at best a rather dubious plan.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Okay. Let's pretend for a moment Fox goes even with MK.

MK still pretty much owns most of the cast, and has no character weaknesses. Correct?

Now, Fox also has characters weaknesses. He doesn't win or go even against everyone, right?

Now tell me, who's the overall better and stronger character?

Also, the set results aren't perfect either. Since the course still gives someone an advantage, we can't say those are better. I'd like you to prove that they are actually the only results that should count. It's all on you, Jebus.
The point I was trying to make is that players can't use the argument that no one goes even with MK. I never once said that Fox was a better character than MK

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The point I was trying to make is that players can't use the argument that no one goes even with MK. I never once said that Fox was a better character than MK
I'd like to remind you that he only goes even because of a nerf that MK has.

Technically speaking, he does not outside of the restrictions put on MK.

But in our current rules, I do agree here on that statement. Mostly.

Although I don't think he goes completely even either way.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
As I've said before: If there was a character (Fox) who went even with MK, people would actually use him.
Maybe the reason players don't use him is because that's all he can really be used for. Why pick up a character that goes even with MK when you can pick up a character that goes even or better against every other character in the game?

@Hyperfalcon, what nerfs? IDC is stalling and the LGL is enforced on every character. Also, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Joyf8KKdg4

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now you can see another reason why we'd rather have him banned. So people would do more than just pick MK. That means more variety, or maybe a change in match-ups, which just aren't evolving with him around.

It's really a matter of this: Pick the OP/Broken character? Or pick a character that's still good? What would you pick?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Now you can see another reason why we'd rather have him banned. So people would do more than just pick MK. That means more variety, or maybe a change in match-ups, which just aren't evolving with him around.

It's really a matter of this: Pick the OP/Broken character? Or pick a character that's still good? What would you pick?
But you don't ban a character just because he is the best.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Maybe the reason players don't use him is because that's all he can really be used for. Why pick up a character that goes even with MK when you can pick up a character that goes even or better against every other character in the game?
Not everyone picks MK, it stands to reason that any character that goes even with MK and has decent other match-ups should be one of the most popular mains and/or secondaries.

@Hyperfalcon, what nerfs? IDC is stalling and the LGL is enforced on every character. Also, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Joyf8KKdg4
LGL is lower for MK.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Not everyone picks MK, it stands to reason that any character that goes even with MK and has decent other match-ups should be one of the most popular mains and/or secondaries.

LGL is lower for MK.
But fox gets beaten by ICs, Pika and Shiek and doesn't really have better match ups than Falco. He's not really a great character but he does have an even match up against MK.

MK shouldn't have a lower LGL than every other character and the LGL shouldn't be higher than 35 for all characters. Socal has always had a LGL of 35 (before the URC) and we never had a problem with it

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But you don't ban a character just because he is the best.
You do when he's overcentralizing the game and nobody is actually winning consistently. There's a difference between being the best, and going beyond that. He's already beyond that. We've shown multiple reasons. It's not just "the best". I have no problem with "the best" whatsoever. It's the other factors that matter. Let me put it this way: Is there a reason to ever choose anyone else?

I do agree that he should not have a seperate LGL, but there should not be one in the first place.

Because MK is the better secondary. No true counters and only a few bad character specific CP stages
Which no one else has. How long will it take you to admit that MK just isn't beatable feasibly? Even the best character in games can be reasonably beaten once in a while. This doesn't exactly happen.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Why is he not used as a secondary, then?
What point is there to use Fox as a secondary. Falco does just as good or better than Fox in most high/top tier MUs and is much safer. Not to mention Fox is actually somewhat difficult to use.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You do when he's overcentralizing the game and nobody is actually winning consistently. There's a difference between being the best, and going beyond that. He's already beyond that. We've shown multiple reasons. It's not just "the best". I have no problem with "the best" whatsoever. It's the other factors that matter. Let me put it this way: Is there a reason to ever choose anyone else?

I do agree that he should not have a seperate LGL, but there should be one in the first place.
He's not doing that much better. He's doing as well as he should for his tier placement (one above A tier)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He's not doing that much better. He's doing as well as he should for his tier placement (one above A tier)
Shouldn't the fact that he has his own Tier, called God Tier tell you something by now? He's the best at nearly everything, has absolutely no real counters, nobody actually can beat him consistently either.

There's a time when you have to admit there's a problem.

And he actually is doing the best still.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Shouldn't the fact that he has his own Tier, called God Tier tell you something by now? He's the best at nearly everything, has absolutely no real counters, nobody actually can beat him consistently either.

There's a time when you have to admit there's a problem.

And he actually is doing the best still.
It's not god tier, it's S tier and even Melee has an S tier. Except in that game, you have 4 great characters instead of one but, by your logic, every one of those characters deserves to be banned.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Different game, different rules. Likewise, when a Tier has more than one character, they're not worth banning by default. Why? There's immediately counters to that character, so he cannot be the overall best.

When a person is on the highest Tier by himself, which whether you call S Tier or God Tier(both are really correct in this case), then there's a problem. He should be among atleast another character.

Likewise, don't bring in Melee here since it has no bearing and does not help your argument either. It only hurts it.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
@ Jebus - By his logic? The simple fact that Melee even has more than one character in S tier completely negates the point you're trying to make. Those four characters, reasonably speaking, are expected to all beat each other evenly. And while Snake, Diddy, Falco, etc. all have good matchups against MK...who's the one that is still winning events (and in turn, defeating all of the aforementioned) consistently?

One character.

One.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Those characters still overcentralize the metagame and it would be healthier for the metagame to remove them. More character diversity. Is it the best thing to do? Hell no

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Those characters still overcentralize the metagame and it would be healthier for the metagame to remove them. More character diversity. Is it the best thing to do? Hell no
Last I checked, 4 characters are still > 1 in terms of diversity. What's your point?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Overcentralization isn't a good argument when there's more than one character. Want to know why? It still has variety.

BTW, they're still not the only characters winning anyway.

Let me ask you something: Is the entire metagame based around only beating those four like it is with beating MK? Are they the only four winning atleast 20% of every overall match?(not just sets, as they aren't only counted)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Read that more carefully again.

Who wins the overall most tournaments in percentage? MK. Yes, he's overcentralized. 20%

Now, tell me once again, do all four characters in Melee win the most tournaments by percentage? Give me exact numbers for each individual one. Don't dodge this point. I will not stop asking till you do.

There's 26 characters, right? They each have to have a very high number.(Let's not go over the fact they all have viable counters too)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Read that more carefully again.

Who wins the overall most tournaments in percentage? MK. Yes, he's overcentralized. 20%

Now, tell me once again, do all four characters in Melee win the most tournaments by percentage? Give me exact numbers. Don't dodge this point. I will not stop asking till you do.
There is no data for those tournaments because different players have a different idea of what overcentralization is. Why would anyone want to collect data for something they don't even consider overcentralizing? I don't think 20% is overcentralizing and neither do a bunch of other players

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think Melee's "overcentralization" of multiple characters is not quite comparable to Brawl's supposed "overcentralization" of a single character.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
There is no data for those tournaments because different players have a different idea of what overcentralization is. Why would anyone want to collect data for something they don't even consider overcentralizing? I don't think 20% is overcentralizing and neither do a bunch of other players
You mean the 25% of players who don't, as opposed to the 75% who do?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ok, Jebus.

Let me make this simple for you

The melee metagame is Centralised around the top 4-7 characters.

The brawl metagame is OVERLY Centralised around ONE character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom