• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Wave Dan Landon

It's simple; we gimp the fox
Sheik has the second highest short hop (second worst short hop) in the game behind samus

It's crazy to think that melee could be totally unbalanced by a subtle change like this.

It's even crazier to think that the designers of the game avoided such a catastrophe, intentionally or by serendipity

It's even crazier to realize that given this incredible grasp of the finer mechanics of their game (assumption) the team went on to make brawl

I used to think that brawl's design was purely a reaction to competitive melee

I'm starting to think that sakurai was an original trilogy george lucas character in his relationship with the melee dev team

He wanted to do stupid things to the game but his staff ultimately balanced his ambition with good design, effectively managing him like the crew of the original star wars trilogy managed lucas' ridiculous ideas to filter out the good ones

Then with brawl sakurai was allowed more complete rule over design choices and was able to focus the game and it's dev team away from the nuance and balance of the melee design

Melee is the original trilogy, Brawl is the prequel trilogy, or maybe just the phantom menace

And sakurai is george lucas, with no one to rain in his decision making powers in the goal of proper design

And we, of course, are original trilogy fans. Some have given up hope on episode 7, some are optimistic, and many just accept that the first 3 were good and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
At least for episode 7 Lucas isn't going to be around so ...

If only the same could be said about Sakurai

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Sheik having the second highest SH in the game does not mean her shorthop is second worst. I'd actually argue that it's height makes it really good in it's own special way >_>

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
still, you have to admit that SHFF autocancel fairs would be pretty obnoxious if Sheik had a smaller short hop.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think its a relatively good example. I think the creators were experimenting with opposites with the clones and were definitely mindful of overall character balance when designing the physics and assigning character attributes. The fact that so much of the balance comes at a engine level and not at the character level is probably the best design they couldve done. Too many games (not just smash) try to balance the characters without realizing they should be balancing the commonality. After that, as long as you give each character roughly the same quantity of good attributes but spread out differently, there is almost no way you can end up with an unbalanced game. Some characters with be better than others, thats inevitable, but overall anyone is capable of winning.

For melee, the only oversights i think the creators had were 1) how serious people would end up taking the game and 2) how important certain attributes would become. In particular I dont think they realized how strong CC was and so many low tiers are stuck with moves that would otherwise be good but don't break CC. Other than that, just minor things like attack startup and projectile usefulness.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Honestly if melee was patched I don't think we'd need more than very tiny details changed.

Like dks tie hurtbox, bowser d throw, pichu's sweetspot, and other tiny details like zedla would be legit to main if she had a single tool that could help deal with dd camping maybe a normal game or decent jab to try to approach with. But really movement I think is the games biggest division other than some poor designs like roy

ceecee

Smash Rookie
Honestly if melee was patched I don't think we'd need more than very tiny details changed.

Like dks tie hurtbox, bowser d throw, pichu's sweetspot, and other tiny details like zedla would be legit to main if she had a single tool that could help deal with dd camping maybe a normal game or decent jab to try to approach with. But really movement I think is the games biggest division other than some poor designs like roy

But can we make Roy good? Like...please? I like Roy.

;~;

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
Yoooooo, I just turned on Maylay for the first time in literally like 5 years and damn. This game is so smooth and so much fun. I can't wavedash to save my life or do any AT's besides L-cancelling, but this game is so, so good. I picked Marth and was having a blast combo'ing enemies and enjoying the fast pace.

Melee gives the me same feeling that F-Zero GX (which I had just been playing as well) does: an incredible joy at how good it is, yet a sadness that everything that came after just couldn't compare. Thank God we have P:M at least on the Smash side

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
His son's name is MaNg20XX

But in all seriousness, his son's full name is Joseph Mango Marquez.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
still, you have to admit that SHFF autocancel fairs would be pretty obnoxious if Sheik had a smaller short hop.
That's true, absolutely, and I might quit this game if her SH were that low...but her SH is plenty godlike already, if you ask me >_>

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Does anybody here know if Biz Flame is going to Evo this year, and if he's doing another tourney sooner than that? Cuz he is my boo.

Green Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
x22ROKSTARx22
3DS FC
3196-6042-1794
Biz Flame had not caught my attention until I saw his set with Eiklman! He called the up tilt and made it connect....lets just say I have been trying more and more Ganon

Varist

Smash Lord
Has it ever even been proven that DK's tie has a hurtbox because it doesn't look that way on the hackpack

MunchMyster

Smash Rookie
Has it ever even been proven that DK's tie has a hurtbox because it doesn't look that way on the hackpack
Took a quick look on the wiki, here's what I found:

"DK has a hurtbox attached to his necktie, which may have been placed to prevent thin projectiles or other similar attacks from missing hits due to their chances of slipping between DK's arms and ending in the empty space of his standing animation. However, it also artificially inflates his overall hurtbox in many other animations."

Varist

Smash Lord
wow the wiki is in on it too then

DK's standing animation model itself has hardly any space between his arms, and that's just the model, the hitboxes on the model form a big solid chunk. Moreover the tie lays flat on his chest so even if it did have a hitbox and the thing about the arms was true, which it's not, the tie hitbox would do literally nothing to remedy that issue.

When DK flies into the air to do his moves and the tie moves around it's usually extended no further than his arms or knees, and will spend only a second fluttering outward a bit before returning to being glued to his chest. I tried spacing bairs on a jumping DK and aiming for the tie and when it looks like I do finally graze the tie my feet just pass through

There's no hurtbox on DK's tie can we just debunk this already

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
The tie hurtbox I think is just the huge hurtbox infront of his chest. I don't think it's literally his tie, but most of the time the tie in completely immersed by it.

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
So i restarted my melee 2 days ago and while i was playing through the game it just stopped working. my younger cousin borrowed it and scratched it up really really bad and now it doesnt work anymore. Does anyone know where i can get melee for at a alright price? i keep seeing it for like $200+ here online.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
So i restarted my melee 2 days ago and while i was playing through the game it just stopped working. my younger cousin borrowed it and scratched it up really really bad and now it doesnt work anymore. Does anyone know where i can get melee for at a alright price? i keep seeing it for like $200+ here online.
Your areas craigslist is a good place to start. Your regions facebook group too. Maybe ebay.

Green Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
x22ROKSTARx22
3DS FC
3196-6042-1794
I was able to get my Melee resurfaced for $5 and it works perfect now.

MunchMyster

Smash Rookie
If you got a Wii that's softmodded you could always just get an iso from online and play it like that

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
Hi, any tips for beating event51 with donkey kong? I use upB out of shield, Bairs, and down B a lot and have gotten very close. I Will get this ! Lol

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Hi, any tips for beating event51 with donkey kong? I use upB out of shield, Bairs, and down B a lot and have gotten very close. I Will get this ! Lol
Use Jiggly for fastest completion. Also you might wanna try using Uairs, they're pretty good as well on DK.

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
So, I decided to play more Netplay sessions via Smash Ladder today, my Luigi and Pikachu vs two Foxies and a Captain Falcon. I still have a lot to learn. My smashes usually miss. Never successfully edge hogged... didn't win any matches at all.

It's no use trying to get into competitive Melee... not while I have my own Melee fan-game very slowly in the works.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol that tie hurtbox is such bs.

Also his hurtbox on his hands and head when he's shielding. SIGHHH

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, I've got a quick question. How different do you all think the Melee meta would be if Smash 64's 0 lag L-Cancelling had been kept? Would we have an even more offensively oriented game than we already do, or would we have a broken mess? Just messing with the version included in the 20XX hack pack, it'd appear the former is true, but then again I don't play Melee all that much. Thoughts?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Hey all, I've got a quick question. How different do you all think the Melee meta would be if Smash 64's 0 lag L-Cancelling had been kept? Would we have an even more offensively oriented game than we already do, or would we have a broken mess? Just messing with the version included in the 20XX hack pack, it'd appear the former is true, but then again I don't play Melee all that much. Thoughts?
Broken mess because with some moves, you would be able to use a powerful aerial, land, and then grab before they have an opportunity for anything (yay shieldstun). In 64, the lack of wall techs ensured a LOT of true-combo 0-deaths, so you could get killed at 0 if you tried that and the opponent spotdodges then grabs you, so it doesn't work too horribly for that game since trying that is such high risk (and since a lot of grabs seem decently laggy).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah Ganon would be a top tier because fair->grab would be a like inescapable on block. Lots of stuff like that would go around, shield break combos would be insane. And neutral game would be dumb as **** because there would be no lag to exploit or punish.

So yeah, broken mess.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
My first post on the Melee subforum, but has anybody ever determined what exactly happened at Pound V.5's M2K+Mang0 VS Cyrain+Chillin match that caused the game to reset like it did?

Top Bottom