• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I play Alpha and use Guy and Charlie. I really like the artstyle of all of the Alpha games and SF3, so I may need to pick up 3 sometime.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Not going to lie, Super Smash Bros 64 was my first fighting game, and I played it about a month ago. I liked it so much, I just had to have Melee. Thus the obsession began. Are there any other games similar to the pace and style of any of the Super Smash games? I really hate how MK and SF have their fights actually set up.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
Not really ... maybe MvC but I don't like those at all.

Anyone play that Smash clone for the PS3? I played for like ten minutes but couldn't figure out how to kill anyone.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
No I forgot what it was called. It's not actually a 'Smash-clone' it just plays like Smash, i.e. a platform fighter.

May I ask what exactly you like about Smash?

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Not really ... maybe MvC but I don't like those at all.

Anyone play that Smash clone for the PS3? I played for like ten minutes but couldn't figure out how to kill anyone.
You have to use a special move to kill anyone. Hitting other people or getting the special orbs build up your meter. I forget which button uses a special, though. The last time I played it was at someone else's house about a year ago...

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
No I forgot what it was called. It's not actually a 'Smash-clone' it just plays like Smash, i.e. a platform fighter.

May I ask what exactly you like about Smash?
Well, the biggest thing is probably the camera view and the art style. I like how it shows the whole map and it focuses in at different times. I don't like a linear map where you can only move back and forth, and you can't go wherever you damn well please. Plus there is the fact that terrain actually means something, and certain characters use terrain to their advantage and what not. It's a lot more strategic than what people think. The combat system is also incredibly unique because there are just a ridiculous amount of moves you can do, even in Super Smash 64. The fast pace is just fun, and I like feeling like a boss. I've played very little Mortal Kombat, but enough to know what it's about. It just doesn't seem as fast as any of the Super Smash games really, and the characters as well seem lame. I mean come on. Super Smash ain't Super Smash without Marth, Fox, Mario, Peach, Bowser, etc. It's really a combination of all things. But hey, I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Venting post inc.

I was wondering if anyone experienced similar frustrations I have been experiencing and if there were any solutions people could offer. Currently I am on a subjective power ranking of number 2 in my city as well as I play Ice Climbers. Recently when I play friendlies, it has become really apparent that many players become very frustrated when they play me. I mention that I am ranked 2 because there definitely might be a skill gap that other players have to overcome.
One screamed at me, ejecting my controller and told me to get off his cube and told me to leave the room, the other gave up half way through a game and left and the other one does not even look at me nor have we had a decent conversation in probably 4-6 years. (note: the average age of these people are probably 22-24 and funny enough, they all play spacies--not saying anything about spacie mains, but it is definitely interesting to note as other community members are fine with me)

Now inb4 you-play-Ice-Climbers,-a-well-known-hated-character-to-begin-with, I do not wobble in friendlies but I do win the majority of the friendlies. Some of the complaints were about how Ice Climbers are gimmicks, one constantly swears at Nana for doing unpredictable things, dsmash is broken, etc. The players that have raged at me are good players to start with, and I think it would be difficult to get better at the game without them around. I think these players need to mature in their mentality on how they think about the game and they should accept that these "gimmicks" or mechanics are part of the game and they should learn how to deal with it instead of complaining about them. However, I have no right to tell someone how to play a game

The overall question that I was hoping to have answered was: How is one supposed to get better at the game when some of the better players in my community dislike or outright avoids playing against me? It's difficult to say to find other people to play with as there aren't many people of their calibur.

Thank you for listening!

Last edited:

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Venting post inc.

I was wondering if anyone experienced similar frustrations I have been experiencing and if there were any solutions people could offer. Currently I am on a subjective power ranking of number 2 in my city as well as I play Ice Climbers. Recently when I play friendlies, it has become really apparent that many players become very frustrated when they play me. I mention that I am ranked 2 because there definitely might be a skill gap that other players have to overcome.
One screamed at me, ejecting my controller and told me to get off his cube and told me to leave the room, the other gave up half way through a game and left and the other one does not even look at me nor have we had a decent conversation in probably 4-6 years. (note: the average age of these people are probably 22-24 and funny enough, they all play spacies--not saying anything about spacie mains, but it is definitely interesting to note as other community members are fine with me)

Now inb4 you-play-Ice-Climbers,-a-well-known-hated-character-to-begin-with, I do not wobble in friendlies but I do win the majority of the friendlies. Some of the complaints were about how Ice Climbers are gimmicks, one constantly swears at Nana for doing unpredictable things, dsmash is broken, etc. The players that have raged at me are good players to start with, and I think it would be difficult to get better at the game without them around. I think these players need to mature in their mentality on how they think about the game and they should accept that these "gimmicks" or mechanics are part of the game and they should learn how to deal with it instead of complaining about them. However, I have no right to tell someone how to play a game

The overall question that I was hoping to have answered was: How is one supposed to get better at the game when some of the better players in my community dislike or outright avoids playing against me? It's difficult to say to find other people to play with as there aren't many people of their calibur.

Thank you for listening!
Bro I wish I knew. Ice Climbers are definitely one of the characters that I'm going to try out and see if I might main them, but there is a lot of hate. It's just something you need to get used to. I say embrace the hate, and use it to fuel your evil Sith powers. Find someone that's cool/mellow that you can practice with. Other than that I'd say got to more tournaments? Tough man, what can I say. Anyway, well constructed post. Lets have a conversation about this.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Venting post inc.

Thank you for listening!
Uh. That's not normal. Try and find a new group.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Bro I wish I knew. Ice Climbers are definitely one of the characters that I'm going to try out and see if I might main them, but there is a lot of hate. It's just something you need to get used to. I say embrace the hate, and use it to fuel your evil Sith powers. Find someone that's cool/mellow that you can practice with. Other than that I'd say got to more tournaments? Tough man, what can I say. Anyway, well constructed post. Lets have a conversation about this.
Yeah I've been playing the game for 4-6 years competitively so I definitely had a heads up on the hate. The only cool/mellow people are the non-spacies mains which is why it has become a concern for me as I might struggle with the spacies matchup in tournament as I wouldn't have had much practice with them. I am just frustrated at the level of maturity in my community sometimes and I wish there was a way to change that.
Uh. That's not normal. Try and find a new group.
As mentioned above, the only other stronger players are the non-spacies mains unfortunately so it really concerns me if I will be out of practice against them.

Thanks for your time guys!

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Paragon 2015 is some impressive schist.

Some people say PorkChops and GAwes are the new HBox/Mango and Armada! Huh.

EDIT: Oop, and PorkChops is movin' on! What an impressive Falco.

Last edited:

T0RN

I'm Torn
Does anyone have any tips for nuetral game/defense? I always find myself not getting great combos or getting hit by a random move. Once I stop the combo, I begin to get combo'd like crazy.

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Hey guys, I recently did a video of a crappy No-Damage Clear run with Luigi.

I would have liked Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale a lot better if they blatantly copied the percentage damage system and the objective was the knock your opponents off screen, but then it will be even more of a Smash Bros. ripoff. Instead, you have to use super moves in order to garner kills.

As for Marvel vs. Capcom series, my favorite is X-Men vs. Street Fighter 'cause of the sound effects 'n crazy infinites that you can do. The very fist Marvel I played was Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter back in 2005. I'd play any of the CPS-2 Marvel or MvC2 over MvC3. What's with the big ground bounces in MvC3 that let you extend your combos? I know I'm being nit-picky but I don't like it. The thing I like best about 3 is its graphics 'n sounds.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

I dug up this old, unavailable-anywhere-else E3 2001 footage that has less than 2000 views right now while trying to piece together Yoshi's Story Beta as a custom stage in Smash 4. yes, I personally prefer the casual devil's installment to Melee, despite being better at Melee than it. Sue me.

I thought you guys might want to see it, anyway. The stage montage starts a bit after the six minute mark. The stages shown that have notable differences from their final versions are: Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Great Bay, Temple, Green Greens, Fountain of Dreams.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
So I'm going to my first ever Melee tournament at the end of May.

To say the least, I'm pretty excited. My 2 friends who are taking me (but also going because they want to compete as well) are pretty impressed that I'm going to an actual serious Melee tournament maining a low tier (Yoshi). Will compete in PM as well, with Ganon and Yoshi.

Any of you guys have any tips on how to not choke at a tournament? It'd be much appreciated.

:yoshimelee:
:yoshi64:

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
To my experience, it's impossible to avoid choking in your first tournament. Just don't let that get you down, and try to enjoy your games. Tournament nerves will come through experience.

Btw, Yoshi's not low tier, he's pretty high midtier. Some players are still ignorant though, and he's probably the hardest char in the game to reach full potential with.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
To my experience, it's impossible to avoid choking in your first tournament. Just don't let that get you down, and try to enjoy your games. Tournament nerves will come through experience.

Btw, Yoshi's not low tier, he's pretty high midtier. Some players are still ignorant though, and he's probably the hardest char in the game to reach full potential with.
Thanks for your advice.

And ye, he definitely was not easy to learn. I've been practicing him for a bit over a year now. Still quite fun though and I'm confident I can take on Foxes and whatnot.

:yoshimelee:
:yoshi64:

Robotick

Smash Rookie
Hello, Im new here.

Someone on reddit told me to try smashboards for some help with my issue.

I live in Amos, Abitibi, Quebec, Canada. (a pretty small town of about 10 000 peoples surrounded by 100 miles of dense forest) I am looking for people to play melee with. I already going on reddit and facebook, but I was not able to find anyone that live close by and play melee. All my friends that play melee live hundreds of miles away, all my friends that live close by play smash 4.

I have been recommended to use netplay, but i dont think my computer spec are good enough to emulate a gamecube game (3.2 GHZ cpu, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 8GB of ram) and I want to play it with a GC controller. Even if I could play netplay, i would prefer to play in person. I find it a lot more fun to have a rival that push you to the limit than an anonymous friend on the internet. I have a gamecube, 2 controllers and the game. Im ready to welcome anyone that want to play in my apartment 1 to 3 times a week

We used to have a pretty good scene when i was in high school, but after I graduated, nobody took the torch.

So what are my option. The only thing i can see is to post ads on billboard around town.

Im sorry if this is not the place to post this, but I couldnt find a more appropriate subforum to post it. Please help me find someone to play melee. 5 stocking lvl 9 cpu is really boring and one of the reason I havent played in a while.

Thanks a lot for your help, it is very much appreciated.

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
Hi guys. Not really well versed in Smash etiquette. How disrespectful is it to use someone else's nametag, on a scale of 1-10 if they're present, and if they aren't present?

Top Bottom