• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

kingPiano

Smash Ace
why kirby is the worst in the game?
He's not, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since he is in the bottom half.

As for the majority of people that play him one time against a lvl 9 CPU and form an opinion? It's mostly because of his slow aerial movement and bad throws that people think he's the worst.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
You can't break out of Kirby's upthrow once it's started. It can also suicide near edge with DI or on recovery grab.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
How's it going guys! I don't post here much but, anyone see this video?
It's a pretty nice video. I think it was well done.

Also, doubt it, but anyone know how to get Melee working on a Wii U? I know I saw footage of it somewhere, and it seemed like it worked fine.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
I didn't know whether to make my own thread or post here so I just decided to post here.
I am into the Smash 4 competitive scene but also trying to learn Melee.
However I have a different control setup that is very different from Melee's original controls.
I have Z set to jump and X set to grab on smash 4 and I will stick with it for the rest of my days.
Do you think this will correlate negatively with my play for both games? If so, what can I do?

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I didn't know whether to make my own thread or post here so I just decided to post here.
I am into the Smash 4 competitive scene but also trying to learn Melee.
However I have a different control setup that is very different from Melee's original controls.
I have Z set to jump and X set to grab on smash 4 and I will stick with it for the rest of my days.
Do you think this will correlate negatively with my play for both games? If so, what can I do?
You can't customize your control setup for Melee, so you'll just have to adjust.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
You can't customize your control setup for Melee, so you'll just have to adjust.
But do you think it'll have a negative correlation?
Say I was playing Melee, then go to play smash 4, do you think it'll impact my muscle memory or whatever?

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
But do you think it'll have a negative correlation?
Say I was playing Melee, then go to play smash 4, do you think it'll impact my muscle memory or whatever?
Yeah, but switching from one to the other will always impact your performance. They're too different of games for it not to. It doesn't matter if you don't want to be very competitive.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but switching from one to the other will always impact your performance. They're too different of games for it not to. It doesn't matter if you don't want to be very competitive.
This really makes me want to switch back to default controls :/.
The controls I have for smash 4 allows me to swiftly and effectively have maximum control over my aerials.
I will focus more on smash 4 competitively more than Melee but I want to eventually do the same with Melee.
What do you suggest for this situation?

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
This really makes me want to switch back to default controls :/.
The controls I have for smash 4 allows me to swiftly and effectively have maximum control over my aerials.
I will focus more on smash 4 competitively more than Melee but I want to eventually do the same with Melee.
What do you suggest for this situation?
You should really give competitive Melee a shot before you decide you want to give it a fair shake, or divide your time between it and Smash 4. It's a much tougher game on all fronts, honestly, and will take much longer to become reasonably proficient.

If you want to seriously improve, you don't have to pick one game, but your development will be greatly assisted by choosing one game. If you like Smash 4, go for that. The cycle to become competitive is more manageable, and quicker, than Melee's. After you feel you have a more competent grasp of the competitive mindset, or improvement mentality.

In general just be ready to really have to work at it. Being competitive at a game is much more of a laborious thing than people expect it to be, so try at it with one game before you try to commit to doing it with two.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
You should really give competitive Melee a shot before you decide you want to give it a fair shake, or divide your time between it and Smash 4. It's a much tougher game on all fronts, honestly, and will take much longer to become reasonably proficient.

If you want to seriously improve, you don't have to pick one game, but your development will be greatly assisted by choosing one game. If you like Smash 4, go for that. The cycle to become competitive is more manageable, and quicker, than Melee's. After you feel you have a more competent grasp of the competitive mindset, or improvement mentality.

In general just be ready to really have to work at it. Being competitive at a game is much more of a laborious thing than people expect it to be, so try at it with one game before you try to commit to doing it with two.
Just what I needed to hear, thank you!
I will come back to Melee when I have developed a competitive mindset !
Sorry for the repetition but what do you think I should do with the controls?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Just what I needed to hear, thank you!
I will come back to Melee when I have developed a competitive mindset !
Sorry for the repetition but what do you think I should do with the controls?
I used custom controls for Project M for a while, and I see no problem with it. It'll just take some time to adjust to once you pick up Melee, but the games are different enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
I used custom controls for Project M for a while, and I see no problem with it. It'll just take some time to adjust to once you pick up Melee, but the games are different enough that it shouldn't be a problem.
Awesome, thanks again!

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So I think I broke my left index finger which I press L with (I don't use R for anything), so I can't play. Does anyone know a good therapist that can get me through these hard times?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean gameplay wise. The change in how people will play with the threat of such a character in the metagame.
Well obviously the only change to gameplay would be when the character is being played. I'd assume the way to deal with such a character would be to stay in a range where you could punish there projectile attempts but still block/react to any physical attacks. You'd kind of have to rush down a projectile zoning character because of they want the space to zone you out and limit your options.

Honestly it's a hard hypothetical because with the fast, aggressive pace of Melee projectile zoning characters just don't/wouldn't do that well. I'm trying to picture a Young Link but better, but it's really hard to come up with something that is reasonable (at least for me).

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Well obviously the only change to gameplay would be when the character is being played. I'd assume the way to deal with such a character would be to stay in a range where you could punish there projectile attempts but still block/react to any physical attacks. You'd kind of have to rush down a projectile zoning character because of they want the space to zone you out and limit your options.

Honestly it's a hard hypothetical because with the fast, aggressive pace of Melee projectile zoning characters just don't/wouldn't do that well. I'm trying to picture a Young Link but better, but it's really hard to come up with something that is reasonable (at least for me).
This is a interesting hypothetical IMO, the reason I asked it, because I think with that threat, could shake the meta up pretty violently.
Just think Ylink with BIG slow arrows with more damage (with little endlag), a boomerang with more control and KB, and a more damaging bomb that you can detonate at will with pressing down B again.
super complex, but I think that's what a zoner would kinda be in melee.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
This is a interesting hypothetical IMO, the reason I asked it, because I think with that threat, could shake the meta up pretty violently.
Just think Ylink with BIG slow arrows with more damage (with little endlag), a boomerang with more control and KB, and a more damaging bomb that you can detonate at will with pressing down B again.
super complex, but I think that's what a zoner would kinda be in melee.
The problem is he still has to set up all these projectiles and fast characterslile Fox can just rush into his space and punish him for pulling a bomb. Against slower characters like Peach this works much better, and I'd say he's a perfectly valid choice against Peach even without hypothetical boosts.

Top Bottom