• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me podcast! Join the MIOM Facebook Group!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Nah Neal is great

Challonge's only advantage is that its online. And tio is adding a lot to remedy that.

But tio has sooooo much more. Explore tio pro and you'll see. Everything from advanced metrics, to a setup manager, fullscreen brackets and setup screens you can put on a projector/LCD, indicators to tell you which matches are lagging/taking too long, easy pools->bracket automake, etc etc.

Its no contest. If you really want the online thing you can hook tio pro up to your twitter and it will tweet an updated bracket image after every round. Or if you don't like that you can just run both tio and challonge at the same time; updating both for each match isnt too much of a hassle.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I just like how you can tap into the Challonge API and do w/e you want with the live stats as they happen. I haven't done it, but it's simple, and at least I have the option.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I just like how you can tap into the Challonge API and do w/e you want with the live stats as they happen. I haven't done it, but it's simple, and at least I have the option.
Yeah I havent really messed with that but it sounds cool.

Working tio into smashboards is the ideal solution, I think. And now that we have control of the boards it should be feasible.

Exciting times.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i just like how challonge is online so u can just link the bracket and people can see it update...

and then no one ever "loses" brackets ever

i will admit i never explored tio, but i seems like AMATEUR HOUR to me

edit: I don't wanna come out as too harsh, its free and great software, but it seems to cause a lot of problems and confusion due to the interface and tos not exploring it before using it

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
i just like how challonge is online so u can just link the bracket and people can see it update...

i will admit i never explored tio, but i seems like AMATEUR HOUR to me
Have you checked out tio pro? The blue one? You are probably familiar with the old *** tio. Tio pro is godlike.

I think having a live update bracket embed on our major tourney threads / streams is the future, and as far as I know, we'd only be able to do that by modifying and improving tio to add that functionality (unless challonge's API is really that robust).

Mahone

Smash Champion
No i haven't checked out tio pro, i was referring to the old version, i guess ill take ur word that its godlike

GOTM

Smash Champion
As far as I can tell it's not THAT robust...yet. You can create/modify tournaments, players, and matches through it now and have access to all that info as well.

I think the cool thing is what you can do and how you can visualize the data once you get it on your end, which isn't possible currently with Tio. SSBPD does some cool things with Tio data but it requires a physical import of all the files, whereas this is public and accessible via the internet.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
No i haven't checked out tio pro, i was referring to the old version, i guess ill take ur word that its godlike
yeaaaa duude

Neals been working hard :D

The idea is to do the same thing with tio but host the live brackets on smashboards.com so its even more readily accessible

Plus there's the fact that we already have code that'll insert .tio results into a database, and we don't have that for challonge. Thats a big deal and I think adding the old SSBPD functionality to smashboards ought to be a top priority.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I think the cool thing is what you can do and how you can visualize the data once you get it on your end, which isn't possible currently with Tio. SSBPD does some cool things with Tio data but it requires a physical import of all the files, whereas this is public and accessible via the internet.
Once the tio is live linked to smashboards, we can add its results to the database automatically. So players could see their updated ELO after every single match ("Cool I just got +12 ELO! woo hoo!)

Also since tio can operate offline if a TO doesnt have a reliable connection then they have that option too.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I just had an idea but I'm sure people would rather play friendlies but...

You could take to Alex strife about having a melee it on me panel. Have someone tape it, people can come up and ask questions and you guys just...talk. Live sounds cool but...friendlies.

:phone:

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
The future possibility for smashboards integration is really exciting and I feel could be a big deal for the future success of smash. The ability to have a one stop place to get your smash fix sounds awesome. Being able to watch a stream and following player X, and follow the tournys bracket on smashboards and see the road player X has taken/will take, then at the same place you can look up player X's profile. This will help in all sorts of areas. With ssbpd being constantly fed results from tio commentators will be able to look at a players history and relate it to the watchers. Being told the stats on a certain player vs player matchup might add some excitement.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I just had an idea but I'm sure people would rather play friendlies but...

You could take to Alex strife about having a melee it on me panel. Have someone tape it, people can come up and ask questions and you guys just...talk. Live sounds cool but...friendlies.

Maybe after they get knocked out. If they do. :troll:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I did, won't get it trending though unless people take the same initiative as the Evo poll. We could...maybe for apex?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
There was a blog somewhat recently about challonge online updates and comparing to tio, and Neal responded to it:
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=145212

Things that TioPro does but Challonge doesn't:
* track entry fees and do payout calculations
* reorder brackets (very clunky on Challonge)
* track use of stations/TVs
* track multiple fields for players (location, skill level, etc.; for assistance seeding)
* organize multiple brackets under a single Tournament name
* take advantage of multiple monitors/projects for showing station assignments, current brackets, or pool assignments.
* round robin pools brackets
* more flexible seeding methods
* a plugin system that allows developers to add on functionality like in Firefox -- this is pretty big, and something that a website can't do as easily

rokimomi

Smash Lord
We tried using challonge alongside tio at BH2.

The data entry from a premade bracket in tio to challonge was pretty annoying, but we made it through that eventually.

One thing though, round 1 of bracket was all ordered perfectly and fine, but then as soon as we started putting in results, winners bracket remains fine of course but losers go to different places than they did in tio (not tio pro btw) and we eventually had to drop the whole thing and just send out bracket images, any idea why this happened?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Really all that challonge has to offer is updating brackets online....sooo if he could do that he pretty much puts the competition to rest. It's also prettier but whatever, no one stares at a bracket.

GOTM

Smash Champion
It would also be cool if he added Swiss. Whether or not you want to run it, I think that Swiss alone will keep me using Challonge until I either decide I hate it, or Tio adds it.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Really all that challonge has to offer is updating brackets online....sooo if he could do that he pretty much puts the competition to rest. It's also prettier but whatever, no one stares at a bracket.
real time updates are pretty good for keeping a tourney hype for livestreams and stuff imo
otherwise, you'd have to have the commentators keep getting updates from the to and keep reading them off, which I find rarely happens
and posting single images every now and then doesnt feel the same to me *shrug*

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
real time updates are pretty good for keeping a tourney hype for livestreams and stuff imo
otherwise, you'd have to have the commentators keep getting updates from the to and keep reading them off, which I find rarely happens
and posting single images every now and then doesnt feel the same to me *shrug*
Yeah, usually the commentator booth is completely on the opposite side from the TO, so people come up to us reporting matches, we have no idea what is going on.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Updated the OP with current initiatives and who to contact.

If you're working on something and want help with it (or want to promote awareness of your efforts) PM me and I'll add it to the list! And of course if you want to help with something on the list get in touch with the person listed - if you don't know how, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
My first post in months!

This was fun to be on, thanks for having me. Great job to Scar and all involved for making a podcast so awesome!

My two cents generally: When trying to improve the community, remember those things that make this community great, not things that other communities say make their communities great. We are great for very different reasons, and those reasons are what we should seek to maintain and solidify. Improvement requires passionate people combined with the right goal. We have plenty of the former, so just keep your eye on the right target, be okay with abandoning past goals and adopting more appropriate ones whenever possible. Go team!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Have you checked out tio pro? The blue one? You are probably familiar with the old *** tio. Tio pro is godlike.

I think having a live update bracket embed on our major tourney threads / streams is the future, and as far as I know, we'd only be able to do that by modifying and improving tio to add that functionality (unless challonge's API is really that robust).
I really don't like how TioPro takes a step backwards in several areas

1. the ratio of text size to bracket image size is way too low on the bracket viewing page, making it nearly impossible to glance quickly at a zoomed out bracket to see where a player is

2. there is no improvement to the View/Edit Pool Assignments page at all, which was probably the #1 thing that could have been improved on the most from the old tio IMO

3. you can't drag and drop players to move them around on the bracket viewing page anymore, it forces you to do so line by line on a separate page... I have no idea whose idea this was, but it's terrible

Arian, am I missing something? What exactly makes TioPro godlike?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I wish I could watch this live but I have work. I wanted to come on and talk. I think our community needs more hype. We need to hype thing's up more like RoM2 Shiz vs M2K. It would help our community a lot. We need to have more money matches. Hype up everything.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Update: Not gonna do an episode today due to Campbell and the prep work we did there. I expect one during the upcoming week - going to talk to my cocasters and figure out what can work for them.

Also I will work to get these on iTunes (and as an official podcast) today and tomorrow - if anyone knows exactly how that's done, or the best way to do it, let me know!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Coming into this WAY late, I know.

I am working on a Challonge-like site for TioPro. We'll see how it goes. There is a lot of room for improvement over what they offer.

Am I hard to work with? That makes me sad :(.

SWF can absolutely integrate .tio files however they choose. Chibo and Jaxel have done this with Smash4u.net using Jaxel's plugin that he wrote for 8wayrun. SWF is free to host and process tio files in any way, and they've been free to do this for many years. SSBPD does it too. Of course I'm not going to do it *for* SWF -- that would be silly. But the data is simple XML and freely accessible to anyone; working with Tio files would probably be about as much work as consuming the Challonge API, and wouldn't tie you to a service that isn't guaranteed to always exist or always be free. Plus Tio is just plain more powerful than Challonge.

Anyhoo, great job with the podcast Bobby. Let's get Sheridan's sexy mug on the video too.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
Coming into this WAY late, I know.

I am working on a Challonge-like site for TioPro. We'll see how it goes. There is a lot of room for improvement over what they offer.

Am I hard to work with? That makes me sad :(.

SWF can absolutely integrate .tio files however they choose. Chibo and Jaxel have done this with Smash4u.net using Jaxel's plugin that he wrote for 8wayrun. SWF is free to host and process tio files in any way, and they've been free to do this for many years. SSBPD does it too. Of course I'm not going to do it *for* SWF -- that would be silly. But the data is simple XML and freely accessible to anyone; working with Tio files would probably be about as much work as consuming the Challonge API, and wouldn't tie you to a service that isn't guaranteed to always exist or always be free. Plus Tio is just plain more powerful than Challonge.

Anyhoo, great job with the podcast Bobby. Let's get Sheridan's sexy mug on the video too.
**** yes, tio online would be fantastic, especially since i got a chromebook for xmas, and it can't download programs like tio and only runs internet. this overcomes most of the hurdles i'd have with bringing my laptop to tourneys.

Top Bottom