• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me podcast! Join the MIOM Facebook Group!

joY

Pot splitter
I would have to say my favorite part is when you had (I forgot who) someone on the stream as a guest, to speak about whatever he spoke about, only to challenge Cactuar to a money match - to which Cactuar replied, "I don't even know you."

Lol
10Lols

Great episode. Some seriously wonderful ideas being tossed around, and despite some of the minor Skype troubles, progress seems to have been made.

Looking forward to episode 3!

I wonder what the title pun will be for that one..

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Who dismissed that idea? I think that's a great idea lol

Here is the archived version: http://www.twitch.tv/bobby_scar/b/345623251#

Thanks everyone for tuning in. PLEASE follow the fight night at Campbell!!! We're putting in a lot of work for it :D
It's just that when Prog tried to introduce the idea, you all went off and joked about something not really relevant to the show and then the idea was just forgotten. It made me a little sad.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I think you guys should totally make this an official podcast, pop the recording wherever podcasts go nowadays, and create a website around your show with a full submission form for new discussion points, applications to be a featured guest, etc.

I'm not saying this has to happen right away, but I think the whole Google Document/Stream Chat may get harder and harder to maintain as the show becomes more popular.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The google doc isn't necessary to have up on the video either. You can just link to it in the description. I'd rather use more of the real estate for the skype video.

Edit: You should steal your fiancé's monitor for pod casts so you can do whatever nonsense on the other screen.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
I really liked it when the stream chat was up on the stream, because Twitch archives the stream itself, but not the live chat, which was pretty important for this sort of discussion-based thing. Alternatively, if you're going to make a whole website for this show, you could write a script/plugin that archives the chat yourself, and then post it on the website (maybe even do something fancy with timestamps and syncing to an embedded video).

GOTM

Smash Champion
I really liked it when the stream chat was up on the stream, because Twitch archives the stream itself, but not the live chat, which was pretty important for this sort of discussion-based thing. Alternatively, if you're going to make a whole website for this show, you could write a script/plugin that archives the chat yourself, and then post it on the website (maybe even do something fancy with timestamps and syncing to an embedded video).
Yeah, legit. There's plenty of cool stuff like this you can do too, I just read through the API's a little bit.

http://apiwiki.justin.tv/mediawiki/index.php/REST_API_Documentation
http://apiwiki.justin.tv/mediawiki/index.php/Live_Video_SWF_Documentation
http://apiwiki.justin.tv/mediawiki/index.php/Broadcaster_API

Re-sizing things on the fly, doing stuff with the chat, the viewers/broadcasters, etc. Pretty cool stuff. Most of this stuff looks like it came from Justin.tv and Twitch just kept it.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I really enjoyed the show.

And it seems that Strong Bad brought up the importance of SEO :) I do SEO stuff at work so I'd love to help on that end as well. Who should I talk to about that?

@Prog on the remixing of the How to Play music is there a specific mood/type of music you guys are looking for? I write electronic music so I could try making something.
Possibly drum and bass.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Yeah, legit. There's plenty of cool stuff like this you can do too, I just read through the API's a little bit.

http://apiwiki.justin.tv/mediawiki/index.php/REST_API_Documentation
http://apiwiki.justin.tv/mediawiki/index.php/Live_Video_SWF_Documentation
http://apiwiki.justin.tv/mediawiki/index.php/Broadcaster_API

Re-sizing things on the fly, doing stuff with the chat, the viewers/broadcasters, etc. Pretty cool stuff. Most of this stuff looks like it came from Justin.tv and Twitch just kept it.
Twitch is justin.tv's gaming brand. I believe they are the same in everything but name.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And emoticons!

Zeldafreak: TBH I think the SEO of Smashboards is pretty good, but it definitely needs improvement. Like, the mario wiki page of SSBM shows up before smashboards does when you search for Super Smash Bros Melee on Google. That's ******** LOL

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It's just that when Prog tried to introduce the idea, you all went off and joked about something not really relevant to the show and then the idea was just forgotten. It made me a little sad.
It seemed to me like he had an idea pop up at the same time as Prog and did just forget about it, more than actually dismissing it. I think that's just a result of discussion through video/in-person discussion, because people have to take turns in speaking, and there was just so much content to talk about :D. (Instead of being able to sort it all out via text)

Hopefully they can talk about it in the next one. :D

Anyways I think your idea is pretty cool. Another option I think is available is if people don't have enough resources for bi-weeklies, and there is more than 1 TO in the area, they can take turns on when they do a 'low-mid' only tourny with top players being coaches, while the other events are normal. What I want to know is, do TOP players take an interest in this? Which top player? If they don't, what would they want out of it?

GOTM

Smash Champion
On the next episode you guys should talk about moving the community towards implementing Swiss instead of pools to seed the bracket. This would kind of be a change in the mindset of TO's when it comes to having enough TV's, and the community would have to really go all out and bring TV's and setups.

Mainly I just think pools suck but there's currently no real other option to get a bunch of matches in to seed bracket other than doing them with the amount of setups tournaments usually gather.

Plus, Swiss would give the ability for the stream to have some sweet matches before bracket even starts, and it wouldn't just be more or less preset seeds by the TO for bracket.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, Velocity has talked to me about it and I need some refreshing on how to do it for my next tourney. (Need to find a venue first :D )

Very interested in Swiss.

Scar

#HarveyDent
GET EM, ZELDAFREAK!!!!! Talk to me and SB about SEO - I'm definitely going to take it to AZ.

Kage yeah it was just bad timing, I wasn't paying attention :( I think it's a GREAT idea for a side-event.

SCOTM we'll talk about it in the pre-Apex episode.

<3

:phone:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
On the next episode you guys should talk about moving the community towards implementing Swiss instead of pools to seed the bracket. This would kind of be a change in the mindset of TO's when it comes to having enough TV's, and the community would have to really go all out and bring TV's and setups.

Mainly I just think pools suck but there's currently no real other option to get a bunch of matches in to seed bracket other than doing them with the amount of setups tournaments usually gather.

Plus, Swiss would give the ability for the stream to have some sweet matches before bracket even starts, and it wouldn't just be more or less preset seeds by the TO for bracket.
The reason people are not accepting Swiss at tournies is because it's a bad idea, let it die already.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Under my limited knowledge of Swiss, I feel it's impractical at larger events where tvs can't cover everyone and constantly having to get up and find someone you don't know in a room of people getting up to find people they don't know just complicates something that's more organized and works well.

As for locals, I think the enhanced seeding is lost when people know eachother and can create pools that aren't unfair with bad players making bracket over good players. Besides, the top players are going to make brackets anyways so really, pools are for the lower level players who want a chance to face the best in their region and aim to get into bracket.

As for interesting matches, again under my limited knowledge of swiss, wouldn't we end up with PP and Mango facing off in a useless match for seeding? I don't want to watch that for the same reason Mango and PP never meet in pools. TOs are getting pretty good at avoiding messed up brackets anyways...well it's on them to make sure people who shouldn't meet up early on don't and it's on the players to not take pools as a joke and get bad seeding and expect their reputation to get them on the opposite side of certain players. That could happen in swiss anyways once people know they made bracket.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
real talk **** swiss

Krisp: you'd do a certain number of rounds of swiss to where you have like 8 undefeated players at the end, 8 X-1, 8 X-2, etc. depending on how big you want your bracket to be. so no you wouldn't have mango vs PP unless you were ******** with generating the rounds.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage yeah it was just bad timing, I wasn't paying attention :( I think it's a GREAT idea for a side-event.
The way the SF community does it here are not side-events, it's an actual tournament. It definitely does look like side-events because it only involves the local scene but the local scene here brings in 100+ players already with those kinds of tournaments. Even in regular tournaments with top players, there were not as many players because they didn't think they stood a chance at all. I think it would bring in more numbers in general and it would be more fun for them.

Ranmaru, for me, all I really need is to be more involved at this point. I mean when you reached all your goals as a top player I'd want to do something else that would be interesting. I'd want to hype my apprentices to do well, I'd be more into what happens in the matches rather than just watching top players all the time which has been done already for years.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm more interested in using an pro bracket to push top players past pools, and that way the skill gap of each pool is closer. You could take that to the next level and just chunk the entire tournament by skill, and then have players of more equal skill play each other in a single round of pools. So for instance, take the top 25% of players, seed them manually, and put them into the bracket (the purpose of this being we don't want Mango vs. Armada in pools... that's just lame lol). Take the next 25%, do a rough seeding to put them into pools. They play each other, and the results are used to adjust the seedings so they can be put into the bracket where they belong. Do the same with the third and fourth 25%.

Maybe dividing the player base into 4ths is too much, and seeding the top 25% without pools matches is definitely too much, but that's just the general framework I had in mind. The overall goal of this would be to get more even matches in pools. Not only are the usually more fun, but they give TOs much more reliable information. If I am either 3rd or 4th seed in a pool of 6 where top 3 make it out, chances are whether I make it out or not will rely entirely on whether or not I beat the other person who is either 3rd or 4th seed. The top players better than us will destroy us, and the two players below us will get destroyed, so what's the point in even playing those matches? They don't give players much control over whether they make it out of pools, let alone control over their seed going into the next round. If you take all those kids who are 3rd/4th seed in each pool and put them in their own separate pool, suddenly every little bit of practice they've put in actually changes how they will be seeded, and consequently, how they place.

The only drawback I see with a system like this is that by seeding a player low, you are basically guaranteeing they won't make some crazy underdog run to late bracket because even if you are undefeated in a pool of 5th/6th seeds, you'll still be playing a 1st/2nd seed in the first round of the tournament. That's how straight bracket works anyway though, so I think it's any worse than what we have now.

I also know a lot of people are worried about top players not interacting with new/worse players, but I can say from experience that pools is NOT the system to encourage this in. Most top players play all of their pools matches in 5 mins and then leave. That's just a fact of life. I don't even blame them, and it's no wonder so many top players think of pools as tedious when they are only being challenged by one player at most, and often not even that. Instead I'd like to see events like Kage was talking about where you get top players to coach an amateur tourney. That's a much more quality experience than getting a few vague tips from a player you have idolized after he double 4-stocks you.

@Kage
You can coach me, but only if you shout warrior quotes instead of concrete advice. I can see it now:
"The true power is within you, Bones... Wavedash on, wavedash off."

GOTM

Smash Champion
The reason people are not accepting Swiss at tournies is because it's a bad idea, let it die already.
Awesome counterargument man. Can we put this man on the show?

Under my limited knowledge of Swiss, I feel it's impractical at larger events where tvs can't cover everyone and constantly having to get up and find someone you don't know in a room of people getting up to find people they don't know just complicates something that's more organized and works well.
Well, yeah. If you don't have enough TV's, it won't work. However, not knowing who everyone is, is not a reason to not do Swiss. The TO can call out matches the same way they call out pools.

As for locals, I think the enhanced seeding is lost when people know eachother and can create pools that aren't unfair with bad players making bracket over good players. Besides, the top players are going to make brackets anyways so really, pools are for the lower level players who want a chance to face the best in their region and aim to get into bracket.
Florida has used Swiss in their locals for a while now, anyone from FL want to chime in? But also, I don't think a TO should be able to have a HUGE say in who is going to make bracket or not. Players should have to prove themselves at every tournament. Sure, seed the first round of Swiss according to who you determine is better (but PLEASE base it on a valid result or ranking, not your assumption), but in my opinion giving a player of "A" or "S" status a free ride to bracket is a terrible idea. It means a lot to lower level players to be able to come to a tournament, pay to enter, and know they have a shot at playing the top guys. They can play guys at their own skill level at home.

As for interesting matches, again under my limited knowledge of swiss, wouldn't we end up with PP and Mango facing off in a useless match for seeding? I don't want to watch that for the same reason Mango and PP never meet in pools. TOs are getting pretty good at avoiding messed up brackets anyways...well it's on them to make sure people who shouldn't meet up early on don't and it's on the players to not take pools as a joke and get bad seeding and expect their reputation to get them on the opposite side of certain players. That could happen in swiss anyways once people know they made bracket.
What's a "useless" match? If Mango and PP are both undefeated, Swiss will have them play each other if you play enough rounds. The goal is for only one player to be undefeated at the end of Swiss, hence why you could run an ONLY Swiss tournament if you really wanted to. I'd prefer to just use it for more accurate bracket seeding.

I don't think there's any valid points that will explain how pools more accurately seed a bracket than Swiss does.

Pools are usually seeded by a TO going through all the players and picking who he wants to get which seed in the bracket. He'll seed pools accordingly, planning that they will finish with the result he saw in advance. Swiss can create an identical bracket, but you'll have to pit yourself against your strongest competition before accepting a top seed.

If Mango and PP do pools, they both get #1 seed more likely than not. In Swiss, they'd play each other and one of them would get #1 and the other #2. When you seed the bracket, you just seed from 1-16 or whatever, instead of saying, oh these two guys are #1 seeds. Any bracket generator will place #1 and #2 on opposite sides anyway.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Keep on having a closed mind.

Kage will respond to you later.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283

I talked a bit about Swiss in the first episode, it was somewhere in the Q&A session so it's definitely in the 2nd half but I can't give you a timestamp. I've run a few Swiss tourneys at locals and I explain why I don't believe they are better than pools to bracket. The point about having some cool matches before bracket starts is interesting and is kind of the motivation behind the fight night idea that Scar has talked about.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I've run a few Swiss tourneys at locals and I explain why I don't believe they are better than pools to bracket.
Were they Swiss only or were they Swiss -> Bracket? I wouldn't run any if I didn't have enough time or equipment to run Swiss -> Bracket.

Either way I'll try and track down the chat in the show and listen to it.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Swiss is actually really bad for smash and I've explained why multiple times

I tried it once though, and it was interesting. Its manageable with a smaller local (20-30) but anything bigger and you're asking for trouble.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Swiss is actually really bad for smash and I've explained why multiple times

I tried it once though, and it was interesting. Its manageable with a smaller local (20-30) but anything bigger and you're asking for trouble.
Link?

Also yeah, without enough TV's you can't do it. I'm only arguing for a situation in which we'd have enough equipment.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Link?

Also yeah, without enough TV's you can't do it. I'm only arguing for a situation in which we'd have enough equipment.
Eh, I'm too lazy to search so I'll just repeat myself:

Its not really the TV requirement; pools requires a ton of setups too.

But organizationally, the TO has to be much more on top of things and can't just hand things to pool captains. This makes swiss take much much much longer than round robin pools (which are lightning quick). Also, seeding into bracket is very very tricky (you often run into situations where you have to arbitrarily give one of two people with the same record a bye and the other a hard match), and its next to impossible to avoid repeat matches. Furthermore, the stakes aren't very high, and players are constantly confused as to their status in the tournament (am I still in? can I make it to bracket? etc etc). If your seeding is bad and a top player loses round 1, they can go into round 2 and basically knock whoever has the misfortune of playing them out of contention, and it becomes really dicey determining which 0-1 player gets that burden....having to determine what each match is after the fact leads to a ton of problems.

Round robin -> bracket just straight up rocks. It only breaks down at very low numbers (where you ought to just do straight bracket) or very high ones (400+; where you need an unrealistic amount of setups)

GOTM

Smash Champion
Alright, so I get the impression that from both an organizational and length standpoint, you are against Swiss. I think that's fair.

I think if we're discussing this in terms of accuracy and fairness though, Swiss makes more sense.

If it were a perfect world in a sense where we had all the setups we needed at every tournament, and the TO understood how to run things most efficiently, I believe Swiss would make much more sense.

I'd at least like to try it out though at a larger local and see what the results looked like. I don't see how seeding would be tricky though. Isn't every pool winner more or less a #1 seed? You'd have to make a decision on how to seed them if they had the same records as well.

Cool thing about any system though is you can use strength of schedule as a tie breaker to their record, so two 6-0 players may not be the same when it comes to point total. That's the split right there. Challonge and other software keeps this total as the tournament goes on, so there's also the progress people might be concerned about.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Bones, every single time I had a teammate with me or I am near someone they never lose their willpower or mindset. Me having your back is pretty good, free massage and hugs too. =) You can be happy and relaxed.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have never played in a smash tournament run with Swiss, but I certainly wouldn't consider pools lightning quick.

One of the major drawbacks to a smash tournament in my opinion is length. I think with a relatively low number of entrants (under 40) Swiss could theoretically be faster than pools. The actual rounds might be longer, but the data entry for Swiss is done incrementally after each round rather than pools which requires a pool to finish before the data entry.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I have never played in a smash tournament run with Swiss, but I certainly wouldn't consider pools lightning quick.

One of the major drawbacks to a smash tournament in my opinion is length. I think with a relatively low number of entrants (under 40) Swiss could theoretically be faster than pools. The actual rounds might be longer, but the data entry for Swiss is done incrementally after each round rather than pools which requires a pool to finish before the data entry.
If you have 4 setups per pool you can do an 8 man pool in ~75 minutes. If you're doing top 3, that means you are eliminating 62.5% of your participants in little over an hour.

There is no system that comes close to that efficiency. You could never do that in swiss.

The big time sinks at tournaments are brackets, actually. A 48 man bracket takes 3.5 hours if you're on top of it. A 64 man is a nightmare.

The data entry thing is actually a weakness, and not a boon. Having everyone report their matches, especially if its a lot of people, is a pain in the ***. Even with 40 people it sucks. You have to be strapped to the TO desk.

GOTM

Smash Champion
If you have 4 setups per pool, that means every single round of Swiss would take 24 minutes max (MAX) because you have exactly the amount of TV's you need for everyone to play during each round, and then say you do 6 rounds (which is HUGE tournament - up to 64 people), that's 144 minutes, which is a little over 2 hours, and that's the max time.

How is that much worse than 75 minutes, considering you have increased your accuracy?

And it seems as if your 75 minutes is considering a fairly efficient length for sets, so it may not even be an hour difference.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
And emoticons!

Zeldafreak: TBH I think the SEO of Smashboards is pretty good, but it definitely needs improvement. Like, the mario wiki page of SSBM shows up before smashboards does when you search for Super Smash Bros Melee on Google. That's ******** LOL
LOL but doesn't that mean the SEO of Smashboards is pretty awful? We're on page 3 of Google if you search "Super Smash Bros. Melee" even though Melee Discussion gets a ton of traffic. We should be on the 1st page at least, probably top 5 results.

Thankfully the fix isn't very difficult, you just have to make sure all the keywords you're targeting are in the meta title tags and meta descriptions so Google's bots track them. Just make sure when you and Scar talk to AZ to rope me in :)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
For your 64 man example:

After R1: 32 1-0s, 32 0-1s
After R2: 16 2-0s, 32 1-1s, 16 0-2s
After R3: 8 3-0s, 24 2-1s, 24 1-2s, 8 0-3s
After R4: 4 4-0s, 16 3-1s, 24 2-2s, 16 1-3s, 4 0-4s
After R5: 2 5-0s, 10 4-1s, 20 3-2s, 20 2-3s, 10 1-4s, 2 0-5s
After R6: 1 6-0, 6 5-1s, 15 4-2s, 20 3-3s, 15 2-4s, 6 1-5s, 1 0-6

So after it all we have

A first place
A 6-way tie for 2nd
A 15-way tie for 8th

The only way you can reduce that into a bracket is if you do top 7 with the 1st seed getting a bye, and frankly I think thats *** in a tournament with 64 people....eliminating 87.5% of your participants before bracket leads to a ton of issues; in this example that means you can only lose ONCE before you are eliminated.

So what are you going to do? Reduce it to a janky 22 man bracket? Or maybe a crazy 42 man one? How would you seed those? Who gets a bye and who doesn't? There are so many pitfalls here. Let alone the fact that there is no smash-catered tournament program to help you do all this.

And why are we even going to bracket? After round 3 you're basically just doing top 8 matches anyways. How are you going to avoid repeats when the whole point of swiss is for the best of the best to play each other as quickly as early as possible.

sidenote: I never said swiss is more fair. In this example, if Mango sandbags and loses round 1, whoever gets paired up with him is (likely) eliminated from the tournament. You can argue that bracket has the same issues, and it does, but round robin (mostly) does not.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I wrote this out in chicken scratch in notepad but I don't think timing is much worse for Swiss unless 1-2 hours is the end of the world for a TO. I apologize for the crappy organization here though, lol.

POOLS

32 players
10 setups

8 pools of 4

1 hour to seed
Each pool has 1.25 tv's
Pools would take approximately - (1 hour 48 minutes)

Seeding the bracket from pools, give the TO like an hour (also to input results)

Total of 3 hours and 48 minutes before the bracket starts

SWISS

32 players
10 setups

1 hour to seed first round (just to be fair, but i think it would be easier to seed swiss than pools)
Each round of swiss would need two waves of matches with 10 setups
Therefore each round (max) would take 48 minutes
You need to do 5 rounds for 32 players - 4 hours

no inputs need after since you do it while matches are being finished, not when you get the pool sheet
seeding the bracket just requires a direct input of #1-#8 or w/e you wanna do, with a quick spot check
give like maybe 20 minutes to be safe idk

Total of 5 hours and 20 minutes before the bracket starts

With average setups and players, it would take an hour and 32 minutes longer to run swiss to bracket
rather than pools to bracket, and I'd be willing to sacrifice than 1.5 hours for the more accuracy, and better matches.

@Crimson, there are plenty of peices of software to help run Swiss. Challonge does it. Plus, not all 5-1 players are actually ranked as a tie. Strength of schedule separates them.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
OK 32 man is much more reasonable for swiss but tbh its STILL a lot worse....you even said it yourself it'd take 1.5 more hours (I don't know why you're downplaying that; thats a lot of time).

----------

With 32 players you'd do 4 pools of 8. Since you're at 2.5 setups per pool, it'd take you 3 hours max (2.5 hours more likely but whatever).

It'd take me like 15-20 mins to make pools (though you ought to be making em during teams so this really shouldnt affect the estimation). Swiss is actually much harder because you have to rank players EXACTLY instead of just approximations (in pools you just separate the top 4 into diff pools, whereas in swiss you have to rank the top 4 individually). Inputting results for such a small local takes next to no time, especially since the pools will come in one at a time since there is an uneven amount of setups. Making bracket takes 10 minutes max; tio generates it perfectly and you just move whatever you think is bad.

So overall lets say 3.5 hours with players getting 7 rounds of sets and 50% of the players eliminated (you'd go into 16 man bracket). 16 man bracket takes ~1.5-2 hours so the entire thing can be done in a little over 5 hours. Thats pretty good. Add a 16 man team bracket and lets just say 7 hours. Tourney starts at 1 everything wraps up by 8. Everyone's happy.

-----------

For swiss

After R1: 16 1-0s, 16 0-1s
After R2: 8 2-0s, 16 1-1s, 8 0-2s
After R3: 4 3-0s, 12 2-1s, 12 1-2s, 4 0-3s
After R4: 2 4-0s, 8 3-1s, 12 2-2s, 8 1-3s, 2 0-4s
After R5: 1 5-0, 5 4-1s, 10 3-2s, 10 2-3s, 5 1-4s, 1 0-5

So obviously you shouldn't do a 6 man bracket since thats whack as ****, so instead you can do a 16 man (the numbers work well for 32 like I said before but just imagine if you had...31. Pools solves this by having a single 7 man pool but for swiss you need a bye. And that bye has to play every. single. round. I could go into why that sucks and causes a **** ton of problems, but needless to say its a lot more complicated).

OK so for a 16 man bracket

1 5-0
5 4-1s
10 3-2s

So which 3-2 is going to match up with the 5-0? How can you fairly determine it? Two 3-2s have to face other 3-2s, while the other 8 have to fight a 5-0 ora 4-1. How do you decide that? And what was the point of the "hype" swiss round 5 grand finals if they both just have to play 3-2s anyway? Let alone the repeats issue I've already mentioned...

It'd take 5 hours to get to bracket. Plus a teams and singles 16 man bracket and you're talking an 8.5 hour tournament for 5 rounds versus the 7 you'd get from pools. Not the worst (as I said, swiss isn't too bad with locals numbers), but decidedly less efficient.

Plus its a local. Shouldnt the TO be allowed to play and have fun? With round robin you just hand people the sheet and it runs itself. And then after the bracket is made ppl just update it on the laptop themselves. Swiss requires micromanagement and is stressful to run. It makes TOing a local hard, and frankly, that should never be the case.

idk swiss at locals isn't TOO bad but I think its worse in every way. I don't see one appreciable thing you gain out of it

@Crimson, there are plenty of peices of software to help run Swiss. Challonge does it. Plus, not all 5-1 players are actually ranked as a tie. Strength of schedule separates them.
Challonge is nice but I greatly prefer sticking with our own software which we have our own developers working on.

And strength of schedule separation is utterly terrible lol

Top Bottom