• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me podcast! Join the MIOM Facebook Group!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The only thing that stood out to me from the first episode was that there was a LOT of rambling and tangents. Stick to the topic you're currently discussing and ONLY that topic. If you feel that all the topics are intertwined and you can't help but jump from one to the other within your turn to talk, then organize the agenda in a way that makes the most sense.

Scar: as the host/facilitator/moderator, ask blunt, short, straightforward questions. I don't want to see any more of the "so on that note, what do you think about __, and is there anything to say about __, and uh... yeah, anyone have any thoughts?" nonsense... I want to see a more assertive lead-in such as "can we actually enforce a no-splitting policy at tournaments? if not, what can we do to mitigate the risk of top players splitting the pot?"

If you've watched Around the Horn on ESPN before, that is definitely the best format to model this show after IMO.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I think you guys should get MattDotZeb on the next episode and talk about what he did in NE with a circuit of events that eventually led into a big Mass Madness with a bigger pot. It was a great time for NE, definitely the most active it's been for a while and pretty much everyone showed up to at least 2 events during the circuit. I think it created a better competitive environment for our region as a whole for a short duration. (Matt left not too long after along with Mafia which didn't exactly help the center state Mass.)

Scar

#HarveyDent
There are a lot of great thoughts in here - at some point this week I'm going to throw them all into the OP and we'll see how well they can be focused on for next week.

Regarding moderation - I hear you loud and clear. I'd say that the root cause of the lack of effective moderation was lack of preparation time, which shouldn't be an issue for next week.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
There are a lot of great thoughts in here - at some point this week I'm going to throw them all into the OP and we'll see how well they can be focused on for next week.

Regarding moderation - I hear you loud and clear. I'd say that the root cause of the lack of effective moderation was lack of preparation time, which shouldn't be an issue for next week.
Yeah, Scar and I started talking like...Monday, we didn't figure out who to bring on until Tuesday, much less an agenda. It was really thrown together quickly, but yeah. The around the horn timed segments and what not, properly timed segments and good segues and we should be golden.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Around the Horn sample clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjw_9ZilDw

If they can pull it off every single day with trivial sports topics, I think we could definitely do a regular thing with Smash on a biweekly or even weekly basis.

The way they do it is, there are four "regular" panelists but usually one or two of them can't make it on a certain day of the week, and they have a bunch of backup panelists that fill in whenever they're needed.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I actually recommend listening in on a few popular podcasts (The Basketball Jones and the Giant Bombcast are good for this format) to see how they do it.

I think a weekly show can be done and ought to be the goal. You'd be surprised how much there is to cover, and I think slipping in a few recent tourney results would help motivate people to attend their locals.

Overall, great show, and you can expect me as a regular viewer :)

Scar

#HarveyDent
I think that we're doing a show this Wednesday 12/5 at 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific

I'll confirm it as soon as Sheridan gets back to me

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO BE ON THE SHOW - just PM me or something with what you want to talk about. We're working on having the agenda ready by tonight - check the google doc for what we have so far
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kiv8WvsCxYd4wlbrnHvondw5o4I1F7EEXvVHHZYWwC8/edit

edit
and shoutouts to vgbootcamp for hosting us last week - they are streaming something else on Wednesday so you'll be able to tune in at twitch.tv/bobby_scar

we got this

prog

I think that we're doing a show this Wednesday 12/5 at 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific

I'll confirm it as soon as Sheridan gets back to me

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO BE ON THE SHOW - just PM me or something with what you want to talk about. We're working on having the agenda ready by tonight - check the google doc for what we have so far
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kiv8WvsCxYd4wlbrnHvondw5o4I1F7EEXvVHHZYWwC8/edit

edit
and shoutouts to vgbootcamp for hosting us last week - they are streaming something else on Wednesday so you'll be able to tune in at twitch.tv/bobby_scar

we got this
Will we be discussing the events from NEC?

GOTM

Smash Champion
An incident similar to the ROM 5 splitting happened recently in a professional sports league (the NBA). It may be relevant to our discussion:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/01/s...-day-off-raising-question-for-all-bosses.html
As soon as this happened, I thought of ROM, lol. Pretty funny how a professional organization such as the NBA can experience similar issues.

I believe the difference is this though. The NBA owes something to its fans because its fans pay to watch them. You don't pay to watch smash. Until the streamers charge us to watch them, haha - we can't use the same argument.

Not saying there isn't an argument, it's just not the same one.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Some fans just watch at home, and the only revenue the NBA makes off of those viewers (which I would guess are the large majority) is through ad revenue, which is the same as most Melee streams.

After reading the first page of that article, the coach is dumb for not just clearing this decision with the NBA first. It's equally dumb that he can't rest players without a strict rule being in place to prevent it, though. I think that is something we can take from this situation. Strict rules with great clarity can make everything run a lot smoother. Even if you view the rules about trash talking as unenforceable or too specific to ensure it happens on every set, it provides a clear guideline for whether a player/spectator was in the wrong for their behavior. I think a disturbing part of this whole controversy is that Inui didn't actually break any rules or code of conduct for tournament attendees, so it's no wonder he thinks he's just a successful troll. Ban trolling from Smash sidelines, and suddenly TOs have ground to stand on when they want to kick a hecklers *** out. Not having an explicit rule about harassment makes it awkward when you want to ban a spectator for doing something that wasn't laid out as being illegal.

(CTRL+A, CTRL+C just saved my *** from a nasty error. lol)

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Another couple points you could talk about

-The role of player reputations when making TO decisions, can everyone be really treated equally?

-As sad as it is, sensationalism of bad or good is part of "HYPE". The FGC and many competitive leagues thrive of some kind of bad blood no matter how small. Many even promote rivalries. What's the happy medium? It's a double edge sword , we gain hype/attention but have some bad impressions. I don't we can deny that competitive gaming/sports wouldn't sell without some layer of BS.

-Define "Hype".

prog

Another couple points you could talk about

-The role of player reputations when making TO decisions, can everyone be really treated equally?

-As sad as it is, sensationalism of bad or good is part of "HYPE". The FGC and many competitive leagues thrive of some kind of bad blood no matter how small. Many even promote rivalries. What's the happy medium? It's a double edge sword , we gain hype/attention but have some bad impressions. I don't we can deny that competitive gaming/sports wouldn't sell without some layer of BS.

-Define "Hype".
I love that number two, I was going to reference it. Basically, I was going to bring up Yipes' Curleh Mustache series and how they have exhibitions. Last time, they had a first to 5 between Moons and RayRay, two well respected players with no bad blood, it was just about pride. That was positive hype, they put on a great show, and it was an amazing set. Bad blood isn't a necessity, but unfortunately, its a bigger selling point than anything else.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Bobby: I'd be willing to come on for approximately any topic. I'm especially interested in discussing social media, as I have a background in web design and have recently headed a few social media outlets for Project M as well as MELEE-FC.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Prog, though you did it as a joke, I think your going have to analyze your own commentary during crews at apex. It was kind of satirical I guess but a lot of people say what you did while meaning it because it gets people on opposite sides and cheering louder when their side gains an upper hand. Essentially making it personal.

And lol at whoever posted about hastags in the google doc. Honestly, why can't #mangonation be a thing yet? It'd advertise our community if people clicked on it in our tweets and found a large conversation amongst the community, as well as possibly getting smash trending. I've just always hated the use of # outside of twitter, as if it's become a cultural thing for your own personal brands. I guess it has.

prog

Prog, though you did it as a joke, I think your going have to analyze your own commentary during crews at apex. It was kind of satirical I guess but a lot of people say what you did while meaning it because it gets people on opposite sides and cheering louder when their side gains an upper hand. Essentially making it personal.

And lol at whoever posted about hastags in the google doc. Honestly, why can't #mangonation be a thing yet? It'd advertise our community if people clicked on it in our tweets and found a large conversation amongst the community, as well as possibly getting smash trending. I've just always hated the use of # outside of twitter, as if it's become a cultural thing for your own personal brands. I guess it has.
Definitely. Of course, the differences are that my statements were (somewhat) satirical. My statements were said at a normal tone far out of ear shot of any of the players, the crowd, etc.

I'm not for the #mangonation tag, simply because we can't put all of our eggs in one basket. Keep it generic with a #ssbm tag, then a tournament hashtag, and then a #mangonation #armadaarmy #ppposse whatever, you promote the brand first, then your goals, then individuals.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I want to get #wavedash trending, it's something that would intrigue people when they read it...but I agree, general advertisement before specific things like mango nation. I see you tweeting #smash you sly dog.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yoooo gimme a shoutout in this, I'll feel really cool

Also that thing that Pakman posted is very interesting, and something I strongly believe should be taken in to consideration.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Your enthusiasm definitely can be felt, Scar. It reached me and I'm now inspired for Smash and I hope I can help in someway.

Edit: I want to know why my idea was dismissed about having Top players being coaches for Top player banned tournaments when you wanted to talk about The_Cape coaching mid level players to do better. Isn't that the same thing? Why would players go out of their way just to teach players without a good reason? At least under those conditions the coaches being top players for mid level players can see their training come to fruition when the tournament is being done. (Which will enable trashtalking amongst top players and all the other players in the tournament) You would want to root for your apprentice to do well. It's a sick reason to bring everyone together and make everyone involved in some good way. Coaching just on the fly is not a good enough incentive to do it unless you are already friends with someone, who would do it.. really? I just don't see that happening.

I'd personally love to teach players in that setting.. it's a million times more meaningful. Scar, you talked about making Smash a more tightly knit family.. it does exactly that rather than having more separation amongst groups of people.. you would also actually get to know those mid level players. They would want to come back and train some more, and compete.

These would definitely need to be done in the format of weeklies or bi-weeklies since those national tournaments would obviously be reserved for everybody.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thanks for having me on for a bit, Bobby, if I have anything comparable to add on a future cast I'll let you know. And of course hit me up on FB about the twitch.tv design, that'd be so cool for this cast. =)

Scar

#HarveyDent

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Episode 2 was excellent. Not much else to say really; discussion was on point.

Maybe clean up the first page post to look more attractive with an indexed archive of past shows and posts of threads that directly relate to the past topic. So, for episode 2, the thread posted along with it would be the tiered badges one.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
BTW I think the next (or next next) episode should be a pre-APEX discussion.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Episode 2 was excellent. Not much else to say really; discussion was on point.

Maybe clean up the first page post to look more attractive with an indexed archive of past shows and posts of threads that directly relate to the past topic. So, for episode 2, the thread posted along with it would be the tiered badges one.
Awesome, I'm so happy to hear that. I'm working on the OP - I gave it a quick clean-up after the show and will think about how it should look going forward. Feedback from everyone on how it looks / how it should look would be appreciated.

And @SB - I think so, too. We can have someone from the Apex staff on for a while to talk about the tournament to get us all jacked up. :D

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I really enjoyed the show.

And it seems that Strong Bad brought up the importance of SEO :) I do SEO stuff at work so I'd love to help on that end as well. Who should I talk to about that?

@Prog on the remixing of the How to Play music is there a specific mood/type of music you guys are looking for? I write electronic music so I could try making something.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I really enjoyed the show.

And it seems that Strong Bad brought up the importance of SEO :) I do SEO stuff at work so I'd love to help on that end as well. Who should I talk to about that?

@Prog on the remixing of the How to Play music is there a specific mood/type of music you guys are looking for? I write electronic music so I could try making something.
Shouldn't you be training to take down L???

;D

Top Bottom