• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC Tournament Ruleset Discussion

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
thats my point though leffen

many mw players placed top 8 at multiple nationals, and outside of armada only one european did, one time

you cant say no mw players have ever been good but european players have been, when mw players have demonstrably put up better results

thats just plain lazy and biased

edit: looked it up for you, 3 mw in top 8 in a 256 person tournament

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/mew2king-wins-melee-fc-diamond-singles-2

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
My goodness this place is cynical.

Hey guys. Hey. Guys. It's a throwback ruleset. It was always meant to be a throwback ruleset. People used to go 17 stages deep with 1 ban and Ken still won with Marth, and no one was surprised at anyone in the top 10. The best players still won. And people liked playing Melee.

We've been clear from the beginning it would not, nor ever be, an MBR5 ruleset. We cut it down to 11 stages to try to strike a balance between FCD, with like 15-16 stages, and modern-day 5 stage and gave 3 bans on top of that. It wasn't enough. We answered some of the most pointed criticisms with two specific changes, removing two of the stages that were the most complained about, as well as going down to a 5-stage starter list, which guarantees everyone a shot on 2 MBR5 stages, minimum, every match.

Here it is. We've done our best. That is pretty much our last contribution to this thread, because we owe the time that we have to plan to the people who are coming to put it into planning in other ways. This event is going to be outstanding and a blast for anyone who comes, and that's all we can offer.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Are you all that desperate to define yourselves that you have to base your self worth off the collective smash skill of the plot of land your parents happened to **** on? Patriotism/regional pride is so ****ing lame.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
dont dw the rulesets fine

we just wanna talk about how europe has an amazing playerbase and how the're NOT 1-hit wonders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhi-uQjRqc0
ruleset is fine and was fine before despite my hating on it. no matter wut id be there, but 4 real lets takl about how the midwest is gonna absolutely trash europe in these crew battles.

Are you all that desperate to define yourselves that you have to base your self worth off the collective smash skill of the plot of land your parents happened to **** on? Patriotism/regional pride is so ****ing lame.
bro stop being a hipster, we are **** talking/hyping for the fun of it. i dont think anyone here thinks this is life and death **** lol....

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I do have a question: if we are banning **** because people complain enough, what are the odds I can lobby for Pokémon Stadium to be replaced by something fun? Like Pokéfloats. I mean, we have five boring stages already. Why do the scrubs boring people get to have it their way and get a sixth boring stage?

I can come up with the same type of sophist nonsense the pro-ban crowd has been arguing if that will convince anyone, but I think the only way to get this ball rolling is to complain loud enough. So who's with me? Pokémon Stadium shouldn't even be legal, so let's get some Pokéfloats up in this *****.
I support this. Pokefloats is way more fun to play on, and has cooler music.

leffen

Smash Champion
I'm not saying no mw players have ever been good, my original point was that they haven't had any TOP TOP players aka people who WIN nationals
peef then said "omg darkrain" which apparently hasn't done it (I obviously exaggerated with "hasn't done ****" if that wasn't clear)

and really, counting all the american nationals before genesis 1 where usa basically had no connection with europe isn't really valid since we have no idea on how the regions compared to each other at the time.

only talking about american nationals when comparing achievements to players from another region is so ****ing stupid overall lol

anyway what is the point guys. even if MW was better than europe if we exclude the fact that we have the by far best player then you'd still just be second to last LOL

@lovage: haha yooo
not gonna lie, I overrated Ice before apex. he really has some consistency issues (goes for way to much flash/plays too many characters)

also, PP/Chu dat is gonna get ***** at Smashers Reunion ;)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I'm not saying no mw players have ever been good, my original point was that they haven't had any TOP TOP players aka people who WIN nationals

peef then said "omg darkrain" which apparently hasn't done it (I obviously exaggerated with "hasn't done ****" if that wasn't clear)

and really, counting all the american nationals before genesis 1 where usa basically had no connection with europe isn't really valid since we have no idea on how the regions compared to each other at the time.

only talking about american nationals when comparing achievements to players from another region is so ****ing stupid overall lol

anyway what is the point guys. even if MW was better than europe if we exclude the fact that we have the by far best player then you'd still just be second to last LOL
its not stupid, europe is bad we all know this. midwest takes pride on being 2nd to last, its how we sleep at night u european futbol fairy flopping ****

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol.

im not saying that europe is the best region or anything of the sort... that was never the point. The point was that MW have had no top top players, which they have not. Darkrain does not meet the requirements for my definition of it at least.

also, how have ek/amsah not come close to that? I can't at least see any arguments for Darkrain doing better than they have. iirc even helios was close to beating darkrain

its sad that everything 90% of americans say about europe is based around the few nationals played in another region, in a different game. To see anyone acknowledge of europe's existence before Genesis 1 is extremely rare lol

did you guys hear about that one american who traveled to europe to "win a couple of tournaments" before G1 LOL.
Your definition? You are probably just as skilled if not worse than Darkrain, you have no say in this. That makes me remember he did beat Hungrybox before and won the tournament... And right after he won, it was that MM I did with him that is on youtube atm. Classic. =)

leffen

Smash Champion
lol and there comes kage with the stupid statement of the thread like usual

thank you.
moving on

I really wish that MW (and europe) was comparable to the EC/WC guys, I really do lol. Im also not gonna lie about the fact that the skill level in europe sucks ****.

be happy americans.
Melee is really one of the few competitive things that america is the best at with international competition

sadly even here you don't have the best player
and soon im gonna **** all you flopmericans for europe

apex2013
**** fc

Big_R

Smash Champion
dude PP is gonna come into ur country hop on ur kiddie version of smash and *** u bois up dont get it twisted

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol and there comes kage with the stupid statement of the thread like usual

thank you.
moving on

I really wish that MW (and europe) was comparable to the EC/WC guys, I really do lol. Im also not gonna lie about the fact that the skill level in europe sucks ****.

be happy americans.
Melee is really one of the few competitive things that america is the best at with international competition

sadly even here you don't have the best player
and soon im gonna **** all you flopmericans for europe

apex2013
**** fc
You are just mad because you will never have the charm and manliness like Darkrain.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
leffen, i'll give you that mw hasnt had a top top player, but you have to agree then that europe has only had one. thats the only point im making here; you keep saying that europe has produced better players than the mw but its so obviously clear that that isnt true outside of one player

darkrain has gotten first in 70+ person tournaments including people from mw, south, and ec, namely that atlanta one i forget what it was called, and drephen went to ec and won a decent sized regional (c3) beating azen and chillin in their primes, but honestly those are probably less impressive than top 8 places at major nationals so i didnt mention them

i'll count US nationals before genesis 1 because you asked about what mw players have ever done, so i told you. since genesis 1, nationals have had more european players than mw players, and in 3 years you guys havent put up numbers remotely comparable to the numbers i posted that the mw put up

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
tipped off 4 beat kage hbox pp i think and some others @ big d

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Amsah got 3rd at Pound 4, which is amazing and still is the biggest tournament in history. Then he got 9th at Pound 5, which isn't too terrible on its own, but really low for a top player.

Then he and Ice getting 33rd... :(

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
100+ person tourneys that Darkrain has won: SMYM 9, SMYM 12, Tipped Off 4

100+ person tourneys that Leffen has won:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
you'd rather deal with cruise than MC? you're an interesting one, kage...
You can actually do stuff in Cruise, Mute city is like as soon as your off-stage = gg.. and also the little platform gives you little to space with.. which can become dangerous very quickly. In cruise you can usmash combo death players quickly if that opportunity arises.. and also even if they run away all day then you have a chance to put pressure at awkward angles. I don't know I don't find it that bad.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Leffen always makes me smile when he posts. The amount of useless drivel that comes out of his mouth is remarkable. Probably more **** spews from him than comes from me even.

Well played leffen. You are truly a clueless dip****.

:phone:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I support this. Pokefloats is way more fun to play on, and has cooler music.
I'd still rather Greensgreens than Poke floats. And too many people like PS for it to be considered for removal imo.

Also, I guess my problem with now reduced stagelist, is that my opponent can stop me from playing on fun stages if he wants because of the modified ban system. If I go to this tourney with the intention that I wanna play on a stage that I never get to play on, then I'm stuck with only 1 throwback stage if my opponent bans the other two; which sucks especially considering that I already hate one of the throwback stages(Rainbow Cruise).

@Kishes: I know you've tried hard to reach a compromise but can we either add one more throwback stage or remove a ban? I really don't want to come to this tournament and then not have the option to play a throwback stage, or only be able to play one.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
who cares if midwest hasnt had a player at the very top there r still lots of players that r leffen level i mean u lost to duck in a mm why ru even talking

KishSquared

Smash Master
Technically, we have 3 throwback stages on with 2 bans. You're good to go. Don't forget about the Snexus2 side tournament being held. Only two stages... BANNED. YI64 and Temple are off, items on. It will be amazing.

The rules are the rules! Really grateful for everyone's participation - I think we struck a nice balance. Certainly more conservative than we wanted, but never let it be said that we were stubborn :)

See everyone at FC! It's going to be out of this world. We have stuff we haven't even announced yet, you guys are going to go nuts.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
It'll be a side tournament, so included with the entry fee. Prizes will be small, if there are any at all, and will depend on attendance. Items will probably be on Low or Medium, if I'm remembering Snexus 2 right. All but hearts and tomatoes!

Morin0

Smash Lord
It'll be a side tournament, so included with the entry fee. Prizes will be small, if there are any at all, and will depend on attendance. Items will probably be on Low or Medium, if I'm remembering Snexus 2 right. All but hearts and tomatoes!
Any items that let you regain health or have invincibility should not be allowed. Should be good then.

Top Bottom