• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee changed my life.

Zone

Smash Champion
SLow Learner

When the game first came out. Just like everyone else I thought I was the hawtess player around. I played Samus, and crounch canceled into down smash everything and it was broken vs all my friends. Not that I knew it was called crouch cancelling. I eventually met a friend named Paul who said he was really good at the game. I thought "ok bring it!" We play, and he wins the first match. After a while I started winning a little more thinking ok I'm still real good. After a few friendlies about a month later, Paul comes to my house and tells me about these guys called "The Punch Crew" We watch and I laugh because their commentary is ridiculously funny. And while watching these Paul learns of smash boards.

At first paul learned of shield grabbing and wave dashing ect. He explained wavedashing to me. And at first it looked like the most useless tool I had ever seen. Boy how wrong was I. He didnt tell me about shield grabbing because he wanted the upper edge on me. Then boom. I finally visit smashboards for myself and Learned of way more possible things. I eventually dropped Samus and picked up Shiek cuz I won alot. Then I changed to Marth, after watching Ken. I then started picking up fox. Because I wanted to be able to do all that hard stuff I saw zelgadis do. Then finally I enter my first tournament. Thinking with my l-cancel knowledge ect I would do pretty good. Well, I didn't even make it out of pools. I then practiced more. Went to another tournament this time making it out of pools. And this tournament taught me everything. I learned that "Don't get hit" advice was more merit to anything that I ever heard. I began trying more baiting, and jumping in between attacks. Learning how to edgeguard. I picked up Zelda as a fun character adn advanced her metagame a small bit. Maybe not for the community but I felt like I created my own Zelda meta game learning very little from other people.

Anyways imagine if My friend never stumbled accross the punch crew. He may not have even found smash boards.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I've been playing melee since it came out... it really hasn't changed my life at all, just made it more awsome

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
omggg, melee is a drug? ots ok if we´r still adicted to it? what bout if police catch us plaaing 0.0

Illomatic

Smash Apprentice
i was never really extremely competitive at it but i have major skill
ive owned a lot of my friends, in both melee and brawl

Hax

Smash Champion
yo man, i completely agree with this thread. too bad melee didn't die =D

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
yo man, i completely agree with this thread. too bad melee didn't die =D
I deny it isn't dead as well. but the point stands the community is stagnated and will never attract new people. All the at one time amateur players are looking awesome these days because 1. there are aren't as many people playing and 2. they're the ones who are still playing...

The community might not be "dead" but it isn't growing and it isn't interesting. I ****ing love the game and hate to admit **** like this but it's fact and it hurts when I sleep at night.

cykofox

Smash Ace
the only way we save melee is to destroy smashboards, ourselves, and our history. That way future people can find old melee relics scattered around. Than they evolve into their own community and eventually develop their own Isai, Ken, M2k, ect.. and the chain continues.

or we could just play brawl...

zikee

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I deny it isn't dead as well. but the point stands the community is stagnated and will never attract new people.
Except me.

When news of Brawl came about, I was interested. I had played Smash64 way back as a kid and enjoyed it a lot. The news about the latest Smash iteration drove me to whip out my N64 again and discover smashboards, and work on my 64 skill, not having played for years on end. I got very into it in summer 2008.

Several months later I got a chance to play Brawl, and I played it quite a bit on a friend's Wii. I actually played it more than him, and hosted small smash sessions to meet and face new and better players. It was fun. But I started getting more interested in Melee after watching videos and knowing how much more fun I had in 64 versus Brawl.

So here I am, got a Gamecube and Melee. And learning to play, and finding people to play and help me improve. A new addition to this community, because I just straight-up love Smash. And 64 and Melee are so much more fun than Brawl, so I won't be investing in a Wii anytime soon. Besides I have many friends with a Wii and Brawl to mooch off whenever I do want to play :bee:

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Yeah, I disagree that melee is stagnated. When Brawl came out, Melee was near death. Now it's definitely on an upturn. Melee's never been super mainstream anyway.

@VTS - What are you doing here!

Adi

Smash Lord
Melee is just buying it's time until the Brawl wave truly dies down, I imagine it will soon see a resurgence.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
LOL at TML saying that Melee is dying I see more and more people at the melee only tournaments in NE since brawl came out.

Also the heavily praised Brawl Esticles... went back to Melee.

BEAST COAST FOR LYFE

Clone Z

Smash Journeyman
I was a noob when I heard Brawl was coming out, and I was always in check. While lurking throughout the back-then lagboards, I found out all about Melee and its techs and I was interested. I have to say I Killed Mufasa by Scar made me interested in Melee.

When Brawl started to suck, I gave up on it and started to learn Melee techs. Now, I can wavedash consistently and I can do more advanced stuff like moonwalking and wavelanding pretty easy.

When I finish high school, I'll have a lot more time in my hands to maybe join some tourneys. I plan on going to school somewhere in Boston, and by the looks of it New England has a good Melee scene going on.

Let's hope Melee lasts that long though.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I was a noob when I heard Brawl was coming out, and I was always in check. While lurking throughout the back-then lagboards, I found out all about Melee and its techs and I was interested. I have to say I Killed Mufasa by Scar made me interested in Melee.

When Brawl started to suck, I gave up on it and started to learn Melee techs. Now, I can wavedash consistently and I can do more advanced stuff like moonwalking and wavelanding pretty easy.

When I finish high school, I'll have a lot more time in my hands to maybe join some tourneys. I plan on going to school somewhere in Boston, and by the looks of it New England has a good Melee scene going on.

Let's hope Melee lasts that long though.
Keep at it, I'll definately see you around.

Ah, I really cannot wait till I start get ***** around Atlantic North.<3

Gen. Empoleon

Smash Rookie
I was always somewhat of a "noob" to the game of smash bros. I would pick Link and spam b-up and never win. About two years ago, my friends became jerks, whether it was because they were getting sick of me or they just changed. I was kind of lonely. I didn't really have much going for me (what short white guy does?) so I started to play Pokemon fairly serious. Shoddy Battle came out and I was excited. I became better. High School rolled around and my secret Pokemon playing was kept to myself. I made some friends, one of them, a kid named Zach, seemed like a good guy. He was nice fun and actually cared what I thought.

So I guess I could have called him my best friend for a time. When we first hung out I found out that he played Smash. I thought, "awesome! I love smash" so we played. He picked Link as well and proceeded to destroy everything with his projectiles. Not only that but his Link moved faster than mine. His could hit me eight times to my one hit. He could four stock me. I didn't understand. I thought that I was decent. I then started going to Gamefaqs, and learned of a tier list. I learned that Fox was the best character and Pichu was the worst. At first I said "no way, Fox is better". I then looked at video's on Youtube. I saw how the Fox players always beat the other players. I was in awe of hot fast Fox was and how comboing was for him. I then lurked here to pick up on stuff like Wave Dashing and L-Cancel. I watched the Youtube video of the smash advanced techs so often that it was basically a ritual.

I then became equal, if not better than Zach. Our friendship was good, talk about our relationships with women, or about our problems while playing Smash. We had a friend named Mark, who we hung out with quite frequently. He had a N64, so we played the first Smash on. I was still the best (ness was my main on N64 now). Then one winterball night I was spending the night at Mark's. He was pissed of so I just sat around being alright with everything. Mark threw parties at his house, invited people and we had our own group of friends. It was good, we'd eat pizza, watch movies, play smash. Everyone had a good time.

So this year, my friend Mark decided that I was "annoying" so he decided to stop invite me. No one wanted to get kicked out of the group like I did, so they all agreed that I was annoying too. It was eighth grade all over again. I didn't have friends since I just assumed I'd have those friends for my high school career. I then saw Zach in the halls. He stopped and started to talk to me.
"Hey dude, I miss hanging out with you, everyone really sucks at Smash"
"Yeah, I know, but you really can't argue with him can you?"
"No, I guess not. If you want we can hang out after school today"
"I would love to"

Smash helped me gain a caring friend. I still don't get to see him enough. Smash has given us a bond though, no one will be able to sever it. That is my story of how Smash forged an everlasting bond between my friend and myself.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Whoa, this thread is still alive. Since I last posted a few months ago, I actually did become more of a Brawl player for a while. However, the SoCal Melee scene is once again pretty strong and I'm mostly playing SSBM again. I might actually drop Brawl completely fairly soon; tourney results are so ridiculously inconsistent for the most part that I feel silly playing Brawl, and it's just so much more satisfying to do well in SSBM than in SSBB.

melee4lyfe

Cinder

Smash Master
It changed mine as well, I hate brawl so much that I made this name. My hatred towards brawl cannot be diminished.
wow this is sweet! gives me more reason to love brawl! if only melee had colors like these!
I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!!

And on topic, I never got into the Smash scene until 2006-ish...a friend of mine who I had taught the basics taught me the AT's...not really sure how on-topic that is, but meh...

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
I was never really into competitive SSBM, and I have rarely attended tournaments, but still SSBM is a game I love to play (even if it is against the CPU at times) and is a game that is as fun now as it was 7 years ago. When I first learned some of the SSBM techniques the game really took off for me, hell even wave dashing around with Luigi was fun the first time I learned how. It is a game that no matter how much I played the more I got better the more I enjoyed it, if their was one good thing about SSBB it was that it really re-ensured me that SSBM is my favorite fighting game I have ever played. I'll like to add too that while playing Brawl even if I got better it still did not make it more fun, and to me that is a BIG problem.

Melee did change my life, if I were to deny this I would just be kidding myself, when I look at all the hours I played I find them all well worth it. Between the all nighters with friends, the countless hours trying to learn how to SHFFL efficiently or learning how to waveshine (now THAT was a b**** to learn). SSBM remains my favorite fighting game and my 2nd favorite game of all time, only beaten by Castlevania: SoTN :p.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
I actually wrote a 3-paged, single-spaced essay about this lol. I'll give you guys the short version.

Melee has changed my life for the better. Without Melee: I wouldn’t be living with my current friends right now(since I met them through Melee); I wouldn’t have good friends across Arkansas and the Mid-South; and I wouldn’t have ever known what it was like to try to win and compete with others seriously. I used to consider FF7 as my favorate game, but now I have to say it's Melee because of the influence it's had on my life.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I've been playing competetive 64 and just picked up Melee in the last month or so.
It is beginning to have its changing effects... will be meeting people to play in the Toronto scene in both 64 and Melee. Brawl is fun but really "meh" compared to those two greats.

Top Bottom