• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Brawl | STIGMA-B for 2010 yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRKB

Smash Rookie
Hey guys is there anyone from the west Gippsland area who goes to these tourneys?

Splice

Smash Hero
Guys, we should, seriously, have a vote on all stages that should be Neutral and Counterpick. Jei and X could decide on like 10+ stages and post them all up, and each person Quotes it and puts Neutral next to what they think should be neutral, and Counterpick for what they think should be CP, and leave blank what they think should be banned. Then tally up all the votes and decide on Neutral, CP, and Banned stages. Just an idea plus it would be fun.

Hey guys is there anyone from the west Gippsland area who goes to these tourneys?
What town?

I have a holiday house in East Gippsland, so I travel past West Gippsland every so often. Never stop anywhere though lol :p
Im just curious what town?

icek

Smash Cadet
I think everyone is getting a little off topic. Let's deal with the real concern of how to enforce the shower rule. Last stigma was a bit better but I think we can all agree It was still far from ok .

tedeth

Smash Master
C~Dog post: This stage thing is getting ridiculous. The stage list is decided by the TO (jei + x), to be what they think is the optimum list of stages. Its not the communities stage list, its the TOs. If you dont like it, go to another tourney.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Smash democracy = perpetual *****fest
Authoritarian ******* = results!

The story of 2009

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
C~Dog post: This stage thing is getting ridiculous. The stage list is decided by the TO (jei + x), to be what they think is the optimum list of stages. Its not the communities stage list, its the TOs. If you dont like it, go to another tourney.
ahh _X_ told them to discuss. and everyone seems to be only giving their opinion, so i dunno what the problem is tbh, if they are only giving personal opinions as suggestions.

Splice

Smash Hero
@Connors post : I'd say it was stupid, except it was on Tedeths account, so I'll just point at Ledges post and say, "what he said".

Smash democracy = perpetual *****fest
Authoritarian ******* = results!

The story of 2009
It really isn't. I really think some people are getting too down on the current affairs.
I talk about Melbourne only, when I say this, btw, so if you're talking about all of Australia disregard this.

The PR debate got a little heated, but it wasn't really a flame. It was still a discussion, and the people running the PR couldnt accept this, so sorry. As I see it, the PR isn't up for community debate, hence the panel? So no-one should've been discussing the criteria, understandably, but I don't think everyone really saw that at the time so ok. In the meantime, people having their say has kind of been what got us to have pools (at least as frequently as we did) and generally so far Smash democracy has really only helped the scene.

The only things in VIC smash where Authoritarian > democracy, is our pots (this is how much money you get, stop complaining), where the money goes (Jei and X can use as much money as they want for prizes and special tournies or whatever, I dont even know if they are but it's their tourney) and you could say the PR debate, except maybe if you didnt see it as so much of a flame fest and actually discussed it you would have gotten better results than that.

Now this is just VIC caos, but I really do think that you are exaggerating the problem. Now i may be a little unwise as far as the responsibilities and view of a community from a moderators perspective, but in the end we have successful tournaments, a tight community, and IRL we can pretty much all get along with each other. And on the internet? All the discussions in this thread as far as tourney rules have never turned out too bad, and the stage list talk atm is being encouraged, and why not. Sure, X and Jei can run the community how they like, it's not a community decision, but why would they even bother running a tourney if they didnt want to make it at least bearable for us? No, they dont have to do anything we say, but, done nicely, I see no reason why they would mind a collection of suggestions, apart from having to read a lot.

You (Cao), Jei and X and i guess Attila coz he gets hit 2 cents in everything, are sort of the authorities of VIC smash at the moment, but I think sometimes you see things as much more extreme than they are. Before taking suggestions (sometimes suggestions may be too nice a word for what I'm talking about) too seriously, or taking it as questioning of authority, you don't have to close a bunch of threads or get angry at the community. Even though lots of people have a future they want to see for smash, be it our stage list or how the PR is run, it is still understood that Jei and X are the leaders of Stigma = If they say 'no' and give the smallest reason for it 'we dont want it like that', it is understood, and even though we could make a few more points for whatever debate, it would not need be taken anymore further than that, and that is it, and the same for all things run by individual members of the community = they are running it, they are running it. We are not. Ok.

^^Whilst that's all ok, that doesn't mean they can't take suggestions, and I think that we should be allowed to debate these things, even though in the end we should all be able to accept it if they simply say "no". So whilst you can be Authoritarian as much as you like and that might work fine like it would, you should be able to see suggestions, however badly articulated, as suggestions, and consider them, without getting pissed that we are questioning authority and assuming that this is part of a perpetual *****fest.

I hardly even know what my point is by now, but pretty much, democracy has worked, and you dont need to be authoritarian, but you can still have the final say.
It seems to me that you are discouraging discussion and just calling all the shots, where imo it should be us discussion and you still calling all the shots. There hasn't been a flame fest caused by the people starting the discussion. The PR thread for example ; the only personal attacks were made by Attilla, who was on the PR himself. Earl called Attila a douchebag once (hippocrit would've been a better choice of word), but other that didnt say anything that bad, considering he didnt really think the PR was gonna be a totally closed-off-from-community discussion, Which is fine.

I'm a little confused but this is how I see it. I don't think you have to look down on the community as much as you are atm, and should be a little more happy with how far the scene has come throughout this year, and the state it is in at the moment which to me seems healthy apart from one little PR debate, which at the point still didn't really need to be locked, overreacting IMO.

I hope you don't see this as questioning authority in itself... but meh, i've typed this all know. I don't want to backspace it all...

@CRKB : I've been through Warragul, but I've never been outside the car on the way through, lol. Good luck trying to get to a brawl tournament one day, I guess :)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i seriously am not gonna read all of splice's post, but if it contradicts what cao wrote, then i disagree. sure opinions are nice, but its been getting horribly messy around here lately.

tibs7

Smash Champion
i liked the part where he said something about attila always putting his 2 cents in LOL. sooo true.

dude splice, caos knows best, hes experienced all this kinda disagreement and what it can lead to and all other kinds off stuff. he isnt just doing it because he doesnt like it but i can guarantee its for the community.

kids these dayzzz yo.

just my 2 cents

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
thank you for drawing my attention that that tibor. ctrl + F is a wonderful thing.

just out of interest, how am i a 'hippocrit'?

Splice

Smash Hero
i liked the part where he said something about attila always putting his 2 cents in LOL. sooo true.

dude splice, caos knows best, hes experienced all this kinda disagreement and what it can lead to and all other kinds off stuff. he isnt just doing it because he doesnt like it but i can guarantee its for the community.

kids these dayzzz yo.

just my 2 cents
Heh, I know im pretty right about the 2 cents thing. I mean look at attilas post just before yours! It's kinda totally unhelpful, but hey, he posted and that's what counts, right?

I know Cao knows all this stuff ; I didn't mean to tell him that the way he was handling this was wrong. I just meant to explain how the community really is running quite freshly, that the running-of-tournament discussion most always ends up being beneficial, that we actually do appreciate the people running this scene and community, but also that smash democracy does work as long as the community understands it is up to the people running it in the end.

Like Cao said to me, the smash community doesnt always understand these things, thus we cant just be given freedom to discuss. But I just want to make sure he knows that when we accept whose in charge, debate and discussion is healthy no matter how much of it we have. Of course cao already knows that, my post was a reitiration of a sort of mutual opinion.

It was also a little bit of a hint to everyone though, that even though we should be discussing and suggesting and sometimes disagreeing with Jei, X, Cao, and other people-who-run-stuff's opinion, that in the end, their final decision is the decision and that should be respected. They are smart enough to not run the community into the ground without our input, so we dont need to worry about that.

vv My sig is getting a workout recently vv

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Okay young whippersnappers, have a seat. It's time for this little ol' peptalk.

Once upon a time, I decided to make a power ranking. I thought it would be cool because I wanted wub. So I told everyone, "I'm going to make a power ranking!" And everyone wanted to help. So I decided to pick just a few people, because everyone wanted to be on it. Everyone had an opinion. I guess that's just what people do. They all like to think. So I said, "Shut up! There's too many of you! I don't want to hear every single opinion!" By now, you may have just realized that, just like the real world, there is no such thing as democracy! There isn't! I picked a few people! Gasp! Bias!
Okay... that might have been a little exaggerated, but I want to leave you kiddys with a lesson! The lesson is! Democracy does not exist in its own right. Democracies are regulated and controlled! By authorities! (OMG liek real world)
So those power rankings, eh? I released one. !. I think people *****ed, because of that opinion thing. I like opinions, but not too many, because the scene was too big. So I twied to be a hero and switch up the panel. So I made a new list with new opinions! What happened, you ask? Did it stop zee *****ing? Nope! It created a new generation of *****ing! And thus, the cycle repeats with each new generation, much like the circle of life, in perpetuity!
The moral of the story is... Power Rankings suck. I do not want. I'm not even on the list! But I was asked to make one. Hell, if they were going to make one anyway, I'll sit my *** down and at least make sure they do it right!

___

Anyway, back to being serious. Democracy is the greatest thing we have on Smashboards and is impossible to remove. The community exists because of it. However, it requires regulation to be tangibly managed (everything we do needs some management). I can see that through some differences of opinion, some people believe that the current state of the boards is of an acceptable quality. However, all you need to do is ask any person on the East Coast that assumes a considerable degree of responsibility how they feel (people that actually do work for you), and your opinion will be blatantly invalidated.

Jei has a baby; it just **** itself; but perish the thought! People are sharing their opinions with him about stage rulesets! Ten ****s later, people are still giving their opinions!

Cao finds Attila in Japan to learn that two threads need to be locked. We both assume sadfaces and eat stinky ramen. It would have smelled cuter if I didn't go on Smashboards!

Vyse? He gets pissed all the time! I have no idea why...

And Shaya? He probably doesn't even want to read anything here anymore, because he'll end up in hospital again after freaking over tournaments and falling on himself.

But even so, this is still all fine. We make sacrifices to serve the community. The scene is getting larger, and its members are becoming more demanding. We like this, but it is tiring. Sometimes, I would just like to go on a holiday knowing that I, for once, don't have to find a net cafe to ban people. I am currently giving this community a little test. It's an old tactic, you know, the one where I close off topics temporarily to cool down the heat. It doesn't have to be flaming heat, just negative heat. And this isn't an attack on freedom, this is a attack on the minorities who don't strive to set more pleasurable posting standards on the boards. We've been here long enough for people to know what is acceptable and what is not. Hopefully, the majority of you that are affected by this, can use your initiatives and collectively encourage a more positive atmosphere on the boards.

I don't really want to spend several hours a week (which I currently do), moderating the pages here; I believe the current moderating efforts has disillusioned the community to think that nothing is wrong at all, even though criticisms and demands are being dealt with on a daily basis.

Freedom will return when my trust does. And I set high standards for a reason.

(Closing fact - People tend to value their rights after they've had them temporarily removed).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
And Shaya? He probably doesn't even want to read anything here anymore, because he'll end up in hospital again after freaking over tournaments and falling on himself.
lol I remember when that happened, still havnt figured out how you can hurt yourself by rolling over onto a pillow...

anyways I've been having mixed feelings over the things going on in the melbourne community (I wont go into it because although I'd like to confront some things, it wouldnt solve anything and would turn into a massive **** fight) and I'd just like to point out that nsw all get along fine, we discuss stuff without it turning into arguements, we dont get our threads locked, we dont even had a mod (dont need one really) and we all get along fine with the occasional outburst that is more comedy than anything

now I'm not trying to rub this in your faces (well maybe a little ;)) but rather pointing out that its quite possible to have a community that can work together without fighting.
you guys should be thankful you have cao.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
No further discussion on this. Wubs splice and tibs and attila. So, hows bout them stages, eh?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wasn't that simple...

I rolled onto one side, stretched to open my balcony's large glass door (good half metre whilst not moving anything else),
physics = the entire weight of the door + bull**** hax (forget what its called when you can distribute mass so it only takes 100g to lift 1kg, harness?) that resulted in me not just pushing the weight of the door, but multiplying it some and putting it all on one knee that was leaning down flat near the door.

**** science.

Typical workplace injury in my own home.

Splice

Smash Hero
lol I remember when that happened, still havnt figured out how you can hurt yourself by rolling over onto a pillow...

anyways I've been having mixed feelings over the things going on in the melbourne community (I wont go into it because although I'd like to confront some things, it wouldnt solve anything and would turn into a massive **** fight) and I'd just like to point out that nsw all get along fine, we discuss stuff without it turning into arguements, we dont get our threads locked, we dont even had a mod (dont need one really) and we all get along fine with the occasional outburst that is more comedy than anything

now I'm not trying to rub this in your faces (well maybe a little ;)) but rather pointing out that its quite possible to have a community that can work together without fighting.
you guys should be thankful you have cao.
Why post this? You are trying to be a jerk, because your post does nothing but say "I'm a jerk" to me.

You cause a lot of fights yourself, and so do other nsw players, so technically you do have fights, plus we haven't even had a real fight yet. This is more about our community being too much for the organisers to handle. Our tournies have more freedom than Sydney, thus we tend to debate things more. Despite this, Jei has a life and a lot less time than Shaya does, and it's hard on him, and moderating wise it's hard on Cao. None of the posts on this page are directly about the fights, it's about how we go about moderating them, and Cao and I are banging our collective ideas together atm.

Anyway, our scene is actually fine at the moment, we're trying to make it better, and easier for our one moderator, and our TO's. So hopefully some things will change. Are you helping? No. Do you ever help? No.

With what appears to be little knowledge of what's going on, I'd advise you don't post things like this in a community you are hardly even a part of.

Splice

Smash Hero
Meant to PM. Apologies Caos.

SORRY EVERYBODY.
SORRY LUKE.

dont hurt me :(

Shaya, that sounds like it potentially hurt a lot, what was the injury exactly?

HALBERD SHOULD BE A NEUTRAL. I AM ON TOPIC AND NOT ACCIDENTLY DOING WHAT CAO SAID NOT TO DO. SEE?

hey, did everyone finish the last tournaments shout outs? Seriously it got locked real close to the tourney I think some people still have shout outs to do, mainly OoS'ers.

I am nervous and twitchy after that mistake lol.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I wont retract what I said, nor will I try to rebutt anything because its not going to lead anywhere, but I will admit that I am a jerk, and that splice is using "way to smart for his age" hax.

edit- you dont need to appologize splice, what you said about me is pretty much on the mark

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Did some cartiledge (sp) popping on my left knee. Knee was locked so I couldnt straighten it, and any attempt to was like death. The good people at the ambulance brigade gave me this inhaler thing that made the universe shine a whole new colour, but it was still incredibly painful as I had to pseudo-crawl down my stairs. But a good 10-15 minute drive to the hospital felt like 4 seconds.
Moral of the story, destroy your body, remember the drugs they gave you, not anything else.

Still hurts from time to time if I'm running around all day / lifting things.
i.e. "Lift with your knees so you dont destroy your back,
OH WAIT, SHAYA, LOL"

Splice

Smash Hero
Did some cartiledge (sp) popping on my left knee. Knee was locked so I couldnt straighten it, and any attempt to was like death. The good people at the ambulance brigade gave me this inhaler thing that made the universe shine a whole new colour, but it was still incredibly painful as I had to pseudo-crawl down my stairs. But a good 10-15 minute drive to the hospital felt like 4 seconds.
Moral of the story, destroy your body, remember the drugs they gave you, not anything else.

Still hurts from time to time if I'm running around all day / lifting things.
i.e. "Lift with your knees so you dont destroy your back,
OH WAIT, SHAYA, LOL"
Ouch. :urg:
I've never had an injury like that. I broke a bone in my ear when i was 1 and damaged my knees permanently as baby, but i have no recollection of that except a squeaky noise when I do squats.

Anyway, you, Shaya, are one of the people who did not do Shoutouts. You should do shoutouts yes? Come on people, let's get them all done if you didn't do them!!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I generally don't do shoutouts =)
Just remember you're awesome splice.

Also maybe I should play brawl a bit more often so I don't lose to scrubs like tibs. If you do go to squat, there's even funner things to know about, like, PORT TOWN (loooooooool)

Attila's the champiest champs of champs ever. FD is gayer than YI though, admit it. Top 5 melb favourite awesome people because we're both arrogant lolers <3.

Ted, I dont know how you won considering everyone from nsw was like "ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i hate this game, ughh feel like crap" the entire day, including yourself. Need to get me some of what you were popping.

Splice, squeeky sounds when you squat? That's amazing. G&W like loses to diddy, lol him with MK sometime, I saw your jiggs, same **** half the aerial mobility, it will be great. Mansions lame. Glad I got to play you in two areas on the day.

I generally reply to shoutouts rather than make them though. Like Jei saying I ran the tournament, which isnt true, Jeis a champiest championdad.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Come to QLD.

We have beer, and beaches. And Kas.

EVERYONE WINS.

Except Cao. OH HO SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!

JOKES LOL. I just had to put it in there because it popped up and I thought it was funny.

But yeah. Have fun people. I think that taking a break from here every now and then is a good idea, especially considering how competitive we all are.

Therefore, I think you should all have a hug hug dinner in the next week. The whole Melbourne community.

****, I should totally come to that.

_X_

Smash Lord
Come to QLD.

We have beer, and beaches. And Kas.

EVERYONE WINS.

Except Cao. OH HO SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!

JOKES LOL. I just had to put it in there because it popped up and I thought it was funny.

But yeah. Have fun people. I think that taking a break from here every now and then is a good idea, especially considering how competitive we all are.

Therefore, I think you should all have a hug hug dinner in the next week. The whole Melbourne community.

****, I should totally come to that.
I agree.

Also epic burn.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
OH NO, THINK OF THE MISSING CONTRIBUTIONS TO DISCUSSION!

...Oh wait...
GG Devil, G... G.

Needs more holiday smash in melbourne lets do it. =)

Sydney get out of Melb threads srsly. I'm sitting here trying to enjoy the show and you guys come in with some other stuff. Anyways I've got my popcorn so who has the biggest e-peen? Let the battle royale commence.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Hey if anyone needs any information from this thread at all, get it now because I'm having this closed down in a few days time.

STIGMA related questions can go to Vermy or Condog, they are the Big Doggs now.
Bai kids.

_X_

Smash Lord
Hey if anyone needs any information from this thread at all, get it now because I'm having this closed down in a few days time.

STIGMA related questions can go to Vermy or Condog, they are the Big Doggs now.
Bai kids.
We'll see for now...

Lock 'er up, this Puppy's run her last leg.

Thank you *everyone* who came to Stigma B, mine and Jei's baby. Now Jei got to be a big boy :' (

Seriously, thanks so much. <3

LOCK'D PLZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom