• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Which I sadly don't have.
And I am not that good with Animations (or Bone correction)
It's not too hard, I could try and teach you if you want. If you're a person who is good at using computer programs then with a little teaching it shouldn't be too hard to catch on.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Sweet! I assume this doesn't mess up his hitboxes, either? (No scaling of bones)
no... colisions are still screwey, but im working on a quicker way to get it fixed, because the current method (theory) is time consuming

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Okay, okay, I'm going to stop getting excited and asking you things, so you don't feel rushed :p
tis ok, although it doesnt help that game maker is my most fluent programming language... im almost about to do this manually

I need a program to look at a file in hex, and take every 32-bit chunk, and look at it as a floating point, then multiply it by X value

shock44

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering, have people found out how to hack bosses in brawl yet? Like if we wanted to change one of the bosses to a boss from another game.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I was wondering, have people found out how to hack bosses in brawl yet? Like if we wanted to change one of the bosses to a boss from another game.
if you find out how to do this, i call dibs on Master Foot

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well, sure, here's what we did for the textures:

"I found that the entire face texture was 100% transparent except for the (black) eyes. So I went into it's Palette and removed every single colors transparency."

^ By doing that, the transparent face became visible.

For the glitch of textures:

"Go into PSA, open the pac file and open up Link's file and go to sub-actions, and in each animation there should be a code in the other category called 18000100: 0-6, just delete them."

It will take a while to do, but it'll be worth it at the end.
Nice work! I'm still trying to clear up the face issue, but I deleted the 18000100s and it worked very well. Are you having problems with RunBrake? I know I am -- it still experiences the same graphical glitches, even without 18000100. I can't find the cause in PSA, and it isn't the RunBrake animation itself doing it.

Please keep posting problem info like this -- with luck, we can get Zero working properly by pooling our information. Not to mention that this kind of stuff also benefits people working on other characters.

@fortwaffles: That does not sound like an easy thing to code in GameMaker at all.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Slowly working on a wait animation for Klanoa, What do you think so far?
*no picture*
I think I'm blind.

I don't know if Twilight Princess uses MDL0 files, considering it's a Gamecube port. Maybe it does, though. If it turns out that it doesn't, you should make sure to check Link's Crossbow Training. Skull Kid is in that game, and it's a Wii-only title. I seriously hope that we can get a playable Darknut! *drools*
I know I'm late, but why would Link's Crossbow Training use a different graphical engine from Twilight Princess? There's no point in reinventing the wheel.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Or is he saying that we need to do something with the decal texture name?
He's saying that, but as SqLeon said, it might not work with every character (from another game).

so it's a possibillity :):):) ?
Not a possibility, a fact. I could do it right now if I had the game (or cared).

If you found the model for a boss from another game, then you could use this method the same way you would a character to get him to work, then just make some animations. The only problem would be hexing the hitboxes.

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm late, but why would Link's Crossbow Training use a different graphical engine from Twilight Princess? There's no point in reinventing the wheel.
I think Link's Crossbow Training came out before Twilight Princess was made. Also, Twilight Princess was made to run on a Game Cube, so it shouldn't have any Wii-specific graphics engine.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Well i never said it was done...
You said "What do you think?" so I assumed you meant to show us something, not asking the thread what we think of the idea.

I think Link's Crossbow Training came out before Twilight Princess was made. Also, Twilight Princess was made to run on a Game Cube, so it shouldn't have any Wii-specific graphics engine.
Twilight Princess Wii came out on/near launch, while Crossbow Training came out a while after as bundled software for the Zapper. I don't see why they wouldn't have recycled the engine.

And even if Twilight Princess was Wii only, it uses a modified Windwaker engine, so there is even LESS of a point in changing the model format.

Fen__

Smash Ace
Link's Crossbow Training came out after Twilight Princess, and it almost definitely uses the same graphics software since it's...you know...the same thing.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Okay, so, are the instructions in the OP setup so that after you delete bytes, you don't have to calculate where in the file everything else is past that? >_>

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
I need to think of a character worthy of my skills...

*Thinks of No More Heroes*

No way. I am not worthy. I do wonder what type of files it has though. Travis would be awesome.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Wait, so does this mean the people who were making models in MDL0 format can put theirs into the game?

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
Link's Crossbow Training came out after Twilight Princess, and it almost definitely uses the same graphics software since it's...you know...the same thing.
Ah, my bad. I've never played a Zelda game, so I didn't know those 2 where basically the same game.

Wait, so does this mean the people who were making models in MDL0 format can put theirs into the game?
Oh yeah, didn't someone get a custom model or a non-Wii model (Can't remember which) working in BrawlBox at one point?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
The problems are still that when landing, he turns into this infinite glitch of colors, and when he has a certain lighting, he keeps it forever, such as a bomb, or a Star-Man.
Don't know if you said you'd fixed this or not, but I've found that putting a Terminate Flash Effect, a Flash Overlay Effect 0, 0, 0, 0, and then a Change Flash Overlay Color 1, FF, FF, FF, 0 eliminates the lighting.

By the way, I couldn't figure out which part of what you changed to fix Zero's eyes. Could you upload the .plt0 you modified to fix it?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Seriously, someone answer my question please. I want to get work on a model tonight and it's getting pretty late >.<

Okay, so, are the instructions in the OP setup so that after you delete bytes, you don't have to calculate where in the file everything else is past that? >_>

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
Not a possibility, a fact. I could do it right now if I had the game (or cared).
I don't want to rush you, and I do know you all have lifes and are busy :)

but, if you think about it, and the "FACT" can be a true thing, (I change my mind on the characters I want to join TvC)

I never played TvC before but i would love to see only 2 characters in brawl give name

Link
Marth

any other character that has a nice fighting style would do

Why marth?
he has a nice model, and he's fighting style might work for TvC with some tweaking

Why Link?
He's fighting is to a next level, have a variety of projectiles and an Item, and can be great for comboing

again, I have never played TvC, but this kind of hype... would make me even try to learn how to export/import characters models to brawl/tvc and make movesets and stuff :)

I have little knowledge of Brawlbox itself but, I can try to learn, I have nothing to do in my life, I don't study nor work, 24 hours free :\

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone feel like checking No More Heroes for models? Preferably the first one. If they are MDL0s, can you please send me both Travis, and his starter beam katana? I will hex it myself, I just don't have the ISO of the game.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I don't want to rush you, and I do know you all have lifes and are busy :)
I didn't mean I don't have the game yet, I meant I don't have nor will I get the game, which means I won't hack it. Just follow this tutorial backwards on a Brawl MDL0, swap that model with the model of the character you want to replace (through hex editing), and ISO hack with it.

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
Follow each step in order, every picture is updated with what the previous instructions were. So to answer your questions: yes, it is set up like that.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
ok I am 100% confused again.
aparently when i looked through the fire emblem games, i wasnt supposed to be looking for .brres or .mdl0, i was looking for something that could have .mdl0 inside it (like how mario and sonic at the olympic games uses CPK and TvC uses FPK). my question is if there are any other file types that we are looking for? are those 3 it? how do i extract/convert to .mdl0.
as i said, i am 100% confused.
speaking of being confused,
I cant get kakshi's model working. all i need is polygon 5 of his model (his head). i think i mustve did something wrong. ill try again. some1 help if you get some time?

Top Bottom