• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDK Presents ~Hype Not Hate~ Brawl Weekly Casuals

t3h stock slayer

Smash Apprentice
lol u guys are slow on this stuff D:
Its gonna have a camera, bigger screen, and music playback off of an sd card. :p i've known for about 2 weeks XD

t3h stock slayer

Smash Apprentice
will r4 cards continue to work on it?
most likely,
theyre not changing the format that games come in as far as i know, and if anything it'll be easier to hack since they seem to be trying to make it more multimedia friendly.

i dont see any reason why r4 cards would stop working ^_^

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Well the DSi is gonna have SD card capabilities, so it's probably gonna get ***** by homebrew. Probably no need for R4s anymore.

But wow, Club Nintendo is finally coming to North America. So, guess what? I'm gonna BUY GAMES NOW.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I'ma get DSi for sure if I hear good things about it. i'm pretty much fine with the current DS lite + a good mp3 and stuff. I don't really care about the camera, but it's cool and I don't expect much from it. Everything sounds cool so far though. The only thing that stopped me from getting a DS over PSP was the mp3 LOL I've played games for both, PSP is cool. Are they still making PSP games?

DSi + Super Punch Out sounds good. I don't know if Punch Out will be all that great because they're going to integrate the motion sensor thing without a doubt. Wii Sports Boxing was fun though. Punch Out was a **** game.
When are they releasing TOS2? I haven't checked up news about it for like 3 months, but I'm excited about it lol.

D

Deleted member

No, what I'm betting Nintendo does is use the SD card for the music functionality and to also allow people to legally buy games then stick them all onto one stick (you could go into a gamestop and have them automatically format it for you)

Miller

Smash Lord
No, what I'm betting Nintendo does is use the SD card for the music functionality and to also allow people to legally buy games then stick them all onto one stick (you could go into a gamestop and have them automatically format it for you)
Its guaranteed that theres going to be SD Loading homebrew on it, since its supposed to play DLC from it aswell

idea

Smash Master
i'm pretty sure both its camera and mp3 player will suck. for one thing, it's a bit big for an mp3 player =P probably around twice as big as the ipod you would normally buy. the sound quality will be fine though. my r4 lets you play music too, and while it works and the sound quality is good, it's still rather inconvenient. and you know it won't have THAT much onboard memory, so you'll have to buy a bunch of sd cards to have a good amount of space for music. and then their interface for actually playing the music might not be that good - will it have shuffling, equalizer, organization by artist/album/etc?

the camera resolution i can't see being very good because the console itself is still the same size as a ds lite, so where would they fit a lens and such?

and are they going to make the battery any better with all these changes? ds lite has a very good battery, but cameras drain batteries strangely quickly.

nah, i think that the new features will be nice but not worth getting it compared to a regular ds lite =)

hopefully they won't start releasing games that for some reason only work on this new one.

oh yeah, but the onboard browser and ability to download games are both very cool.

4Serial

Smash Lord
if it retains the size of a ds lite, i think using it as an mp3 is still good
it should at least have basic mp3 functions like shuffling.. not sure why it wouldn't
how much can sd cards hold? 1gb of memory isn't much by today's standard and I can live with that. 500mb is still good to me honestly.

yeah the camera will most likely suck lol

they should upgrade the battery too.. hopefully, the camera won't kill the batteries. The recharger is good though. My mp3 recharges on usb on my computer and kinda takes up usb space, and just stealing an outlet is cool lol

I think if it's just like $20 more than a regular ds lite, it's more than worth getting if you need a DS, a camera, and an mp3 hahah gonna wait on reviews and stuff though.

I read somewhere that some games may be taking advantage of the DSi's features, like pikmin DS will use the camera... and stuff like that. There's other games that don't come to mind atm. Really lame for people that don't need new DS's.

idea

Smash Master
well, if i can exchange my ds lite and just pay the difference, then it's definitely worth it. otherwise probably not. i would need around 10gb of space for music to be satisfied, but ideally 15gb or so, to have a little extra space to expand into. that's a fortune in sd cards >_<

t3h stock slayer

Smash Apprentice

looks like a ds lite to me =s

edit:"Nintendo unveils the new portable video game console, the DSi, equipped with a 3.25-inch LCD display and 300,000-pixel digital camera"

thats the caption under the pic.

edit: another pic

t3h stock slayer

Smash Apprentice

Gichan

Smash Champion
does it have better graphics? Or is everything the same about it except it has mp3 and camera features? And one more thing, is this a NEW system, or just an update on the current one?

4Serial

Smash Lord
just updated i would assume

why the hell do you need 10gb of music to be satisfied o_o

lol the DSi has a weaker battery =[ and GBA games don't work on it... I guess the SD card is a replacement that's worth it

And from what the youtube link info says, the sound system they have isn't for MP3s......... wtf?
Unfortunately, those looking for MP3 support here are out of luck. The DSi Sound program will only support AAC format.
yeah i'm not hyped for this thing anymore if i can't use it as an mp3 =[

t3h stock slayer

Smash Apprentice
AAC is an uber compressed form of audio iirc, but i may be thinking of another format for some other thing >_>

and gba games are normally only like max 30mb, so an sd card can probably hold plenty. The micro sd card i have in my phone is 2gb. So iunno.

IMHO, i'de just get a lite.
Its the same system except with what is probably going to be a sub-par attempt at incorporating a good multimedia system into their handheld.

if i need a camera/mp3 i have my phone or mp3 player =/
i think the dsi is just gonna be unnecessary.
I'm waiting for nintendo to make a console that you play like ... well... more like a traditional console. Not this touch screen/ motion censor crap.

Gimme a game pad/controller and im set <3

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Looks like the Banning of Meta Knight topic has resurfaced, and the Back Room is seriously considering banning him.

"Well, one of the biggest problems with MK is just that he doesn't really have any even matchups or bad stages. He can't be counterpicked per se (with the possible exception of Diddy on FD, but I don't think Diddy can handle MK on many other stages).

Let me make a scenario for you to illustrate the biggest problem with MK so far. Lets say I use Mario in tournaments. Mario has a nearly unwinnable matchup against MK (or so I hear), so I need to use a secondary to take care of MK. But who do I pick up? Snake? No, MKs have learned how to beat all but the best Snakes out there. G&W? No, he still doesn't do great against MK. DDD, Falco, ROB? Nope, one of their worst matchups is MK right now. So I have to pick the one and only character that can handle MK: MK himself. Then I begin playing with MK so I can be good enough with him to make him my second... and I start to notice that I'm winning matches much more easily. I realize that no counterpick, be it a stage or a character, is bad for me because I can just switch to MK. I begin to rely on MK more and more whenever I feel pressured, so I start to pick him in the first game too, just to be safe. And that's when I discover that my MK, a character I only recently picked up, is better than my Mario in every possible situation. Soon I just stop playing Mario altogether because it is so much simpler and more effective to just play MK.

But lets assume there is no MK anymore, and Snake is the second best. Mario has a pretty tough matchup against Snake, so I have to pick up a secondary to beat him. Who do I pick up? Well, I have my choice from DDD, ROB, Falco, Pikachu, etc. There are quite a few characters I can choose from that do well, or even have an advantage against him (those characters above are actually hard counters). But each of those counterpick characters have their own inherent problems, bad matchups, and what not, so I can't really rely on them whenever I feel pressured against a character that goes even or has an advantage against them. In the end, I continue with Mario as my main and I use my second for Mario's difficult matchups but not much else. You know, what a second is supposed to be for.

Thats the biggest reason people are calling for MK's ban. In theory (and its actually happening currently), everyone will eventually switch to MK because they all need some sort of answer against him. And the worst part about this is that its like a virus. As soon as one good MK appears to tear up the competition in his region, a few people will realize that they need an answer to MK. So they pick up MK. Then because they pick up MK, more people need an answer to MK. So they pick up MK. Unfortunately, this isn't theorycraft or anything, since it has happened in several regions already and is becoming much more prevalent. Many high-level players have picked up MK in an effort to get him banned, and even tons of high-level MK players admit that MK should probably get banned. Of course, a big problem to this is the mindset people get into; matchups aren't set in stone, especially this early in the game, which is why I feel taking action now is much too soon. But one way or another, I can honestly see MK getting banned in a few months if a counter or two is not found soon."
It's so very true. I think we still need to wait until the end of the year though. If MK's are absolutely dominating the top 10s of all the tournaments, I think he needs to go. I'm looking forward to the HOBO tournament results later today...

Miller

Smash Lord
The whole thing is though, if they wait, it might get out of hand, and in a years time, if 90% of people are maining MK, they might just quit, making the community plummet.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Well if most of the community is using one char, then the game shouldn't even be played competitively.

(using that 90% figure)

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
10gb of music? You guys are newbs... I have a 30GB mp3 and it can't even hold 1/3 of my mp3s.
Wtf. You can't listen to that much music in a year.

I'd just get the Pandora.

http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

It's the most powerful hand-held on the market, runs linux, wifi, bluetooth...and you can use firefox 3 on it, vlc, emulators...just go to the link.
And it tanks your wallet to...
if you're gonna get that, why not just get a laptop?
The Pandora is a tank, but it's pretty expensive, and once you get it you have to go through a lot of a crap to put stuff on it I assume.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
In regards to that banning Metaknight thing:

I had a thread that suggested the idea of banning X character for X amount of time and seeing how the metagame changes. This idea had quite positive reception.

Since I can't post in the Back room, someone should bring it up.
My thread got locked because it turned into a Melee vs. Brawl thread, also AlphaZealot thought I was bashing Brawl o_O.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191923
Here's the post where banning for a short period of time was brought up: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5260099&postcount=31

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
In regards to that banning Metaknight thing:

I had a thread that suggested the idea of banning X character for X amount of time and seeing how the metagame changes. This idea had quite positive reception.

Since I can't post in the Back room, someone should bring it up.
My thread got locked because it turned into a Melee vs. Brawl thread, also AlphaZealot thought I was bashing Brawl o_O.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191923
Here's the post where banning for a short period of time was brought up: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5260099&postcount=31
Check it out.

KingAce

Smash Ace
TBH I think that MK shouldnt be banned but thats just my bias since I main him
the part where you guys say mk has no even matchups kinda irks me a bit since I know snake is atleast even with MK... most of the better mk players think that snake is either a bad matchup or even matchup. I dunno if MK completely ***** the top 8 in our scene especially. Usually theres about 2 in our top 8 and maybe 3 most of the times.
O well if MK has to get banned I guess ill just go to the next most broken characters... snake ddd falco :)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I dunno if MK completely ***** the top 8 in our scene especially. Usually theres about 2 in our top 8 and maybe 3 most of the times.

O well if MK has to get banned I guess ill just go to the next most broken characters... snake ddd falco :)
Yeah now that I think about it, you're really the only great MK player in GTAN. Rae doesn't count because he doesn't go to tournaments anymore ;) Am I missing someone?

But it's not like this in the US. Everyone is switching over to MK. Freaking DSF, arguably the best Snake there is, changed to MK. Hylian changed to MK. Everyone is changing to MK.

And lol at that last line :laugh:

Top Bottom