• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I really wish MD/VA had more... hm... competition? Heart? I'unno. It stopped being exciting for me not because of the game but 'cuz the scene just... idk I really dunno how to explain it.

Brawl isn't a bad game. I actually really enjoy it when I'm not at a tournament for 8 hours at a time. Like... Brawl smashfest are actually fun as **** and I think I have the most fun when I'm just comfortably playing at someone's house. Prolly the reason I loved K9's so much. I feel like we're getting to a point where too many people have lost their drives so nothing is changing. Like... I've never felt anyone have any kind of real desire to really beat me or June or Logic or Lie and the fire to back it up and the work to show it.

For real, it's players like me that caused the breakdown. Most of our top players seriously dropped off the face of the earth and either quit all together or take massive hiatuses. The fact that we have to consider a Top 5 in region for power rankings is so ungood. I feel like the only way to remedy this is for players who aren't at the top to really, really ****ing grab those spots.

"ogod omni not this again" I know. Broken record. Yadda yadda. I'm not trying to bash anyone or say that you guys aren't trying. I know some of you are. But I feel like if the low/mid level players severely step their game up it would light a much larger fire and actually create more hype. Where are our crews? Where is the trash talk? ****. Even the lamest or simplest games can be retardedly fun and hype when you have those variables in.

I was in a bad car accident I no longer have a car. Live in Silver Spring. Consider me a sensei as opposed to an active player. I'd ****ing love to mentor people; I always have and I'm not sure why people don't seek me more often. Those who came out to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber improved exponentially and it wasn't because of me but because most of these guys had that fire for rising to the top. Like, for example, Deez. If you really wanted I could make you ****ing gdlk. You're black so you're automatically destined to be good at fighting games. I live literally like 5 min away.

Kinda rambling. Not trying to whine or complain. Brawl by itself is fine, but Brawl with the entire MD/VA community behind it is ****ing the reason why I've been playing this game and Melee since 2004. Feel like we've been slowly declining and falling a part as a whole, or maybe the whole is just becoming smaller. But I do feel like we could still make MD/VA a place where we can get hype again about the upcoming weekend if everyone gets that fire again.

And literally for those who haven't had a chance to taste 1st place or be at the top now is really the ****ing time. This game is going to be on our plate for at least another 3 years until the next Brawl. Even with the whole MK ban **** the community isn't going to die. With the Japanese roflstomping us a lot of players are getting really salty which is ****ing good cuz it shows some of us still have our pride whereas some players like Ally and Logic are getting discouraged cuz of not performing as well as they wanted. That's ****ing good, too. Shows that their not content which also means there is still too plenty of room for improvement.

ok so thats it. so like question: how many of you guys really feel like playing brawl competitively in md/va. **** everyone outside our region. i honestly dont even know who in the region still has their head in the game. i know at the moment i dont; severely discouraged about not having transportation anymore and tbh was severely discouraged about the whole mk ban thing. but i think japan made more people realize how full of **** the URC and that we need to take our metagame to another level. definitely feel like moving to a more conservative stagelist will help the most amount of players here to improve their CHARACTER more then how their character plays on a gimmicky stage. playing on stages like sv, fd, bf teach you how to play against your opponent which is the most important aspect to improving yourself.

ok for real ramble over. omni out. plz dont taze me bro

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Half of you people complaining about MK don't even get far enough in tournament for MK To really matter to you.

the last time I recall bengalz losing was definitely to Boss who does not play MK

I like the suggestions given out so far with the 1 MK + japan stage list.

and yes I don't get far in tournament but I have yet to ever complain about MK's. he's a hard person to beat but he is not unbeatable.
I've never lost to an MK in tournament. That should be a testament to the fact that this isn't a personal vendetta, I'm just looking at the bigger picture but its w.e to me.

Omni kinda got me hyped just now though. I've been practicing a lot these past few days I'll be top 3-4 next event I attend for sure.

If you started doing those HTCs again thatd be awesome, I'd definitely make my way down for a few.

Coney

Smash Master
@ omni

i'm discouraged because i, real talk, feel like i'm consistently only losing to bad matchups and not better players. it's not fun to constantly go last-hit against people that play the game much more often than i do and lose because my head isn't in the right place. maybe it's arrogant but idrc anymore, i think if my heart was in metaknight you'd all be living in a very different region :teeth:

the issue is that i don't care enough to play more, i have other things going on, and i don't care enough to want to pick up a secondary i won't have fun with anyway. i play the game for the community, sure, but i play it for fun too. and it's not fun to constantly have to chase other characters all around the screen. i'm sure boss feels somewhat similarly to me, honestly, cause when he was at his prime he was a genius

Omni

BRoomer
i feel you dude, zak.

but like at the same time, i think even you have accepted that you're pretty much playing at a large handicap. ddd won't cut it in this metagame and literally every top tier match-up will be an uphill battle for you. do you really feel like you're playing to win? cuz when i watch or think about u i think of a person who is trying to prove that a guy with one foot cut off can still compete with a person without any amputations.

not to say that u should pick up mk, but look at the nature of the game. look at the top tiers. they are all about zoning and playing keep away. mk, falco, snake, diddy, olimar all control the space and stage around them magnificently. tbh, to place as high as you do with DDD is marvelous, but i do believe there are going to be some walls that are not worth attempting to overcome i.e. gnes diddy or planking mk's. if ur not willing to choose another character then that's cool.

ddd wont cut it. luigi wont cut it. the metagame has been decided and these two are at a huge disadvantage. so i mean if u keep using characters that dont compliment the top tier metagame is it really that much of a surprise?

Coney

Smash Master
yeah, it sucks, i think i was just spoiled cause i was succeeding for a little while even with the handicaps

it's just not worth it for me to pick up a new character this far into the game when they're just not fun enough for me

M@v

Subarashii!
Definitely let me know when your next tourney is. I was talking to neo this weekend and as long as I get housing, would be really interested trying to make it. I haven't been to a MD/VA tourney yet(even though I've met a lot of you), and I would come mk legal or mk ban. I've said it before, but as a player(not a TO) I personally don't care if mk is legal or not, and I plan to attend both tournament formats :)

Omni

BRoomer
yeah, it sucks, i think i was just spoiled cause i was succeeding for a little while even with the handicaps

it's just not worth it for me to pick up a new character this far into the game when they're just not fun enough for me
wario is fun and can easily consistently get top 3. y u no wario

Omni

BRoomer
does everyone just suggest wario?

y dnt the people who suggest him play him?
cuz the people suggesting them already use viable characters, duhr

i suggest wario cuz coney plays wario and im assuming he wouldnt find mk/snake/falco/diddy/oli fun.

M@v

Subarashii!
does everyone just suggest wario?

y dnt the people who suggest him play him?
Because Wario(especially a campy one) is one of those characters people will not like you for playing because his playstyle is annoying as ****, just like jigglypuff or ice climbers :awesome:

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hi Folks

I've decided to single handedly revive MD/VA

If you'd like to help it would be totally appreciated

I may start with a VERY small little thing next weekend at my apt for anyone interested, with my Tant ruleset

I'll post the Tant ruleset later but basically it's what you've been hearing discussed after the APEX thread that most people seem to be in support in currently

In addition i'm looking into a senior center for a venue for monthlies and a large scale event that's right next to food and such for a great tournament experience. There is also a library next door if that doesn't work out

I'm also capable of streaming, commentating, and TO'ing and hosting all in one sitting without anyone's external assistance or equipment so I can provide an all in 1 experience for people

I've also been seeking out local competition at a new gamestore here in town and finding some local smash bros (brawl and melee) players that come in to the store and play but don't know of smashboards or have tourney experience

In addition i've been adding people on AiB who are from MD who maybe haven't been offline or don't go to tournies very often and trying to make sure everyone possible can attend. Also when I make my large events this year i'll be sure to invite everyone via AiB and Facebook as well as the smashboards thread and have a sign in the gamestore in town to drum up support

So yeah, you can expect some things from me soon. And as always you can count on me to run things quickly and efficiently so we aren't up till all hours finishing stuff

That is all for now

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Single handily Scott? I've been trying to revive our scene since last November and am still trying. I wonder if I could host an event at a Qdoba's or something....

:018:

:phone:

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
By single handedly I mean, I'm initiating growth of the community. It will be very hard to do alone but I'm prepared if necessary.

I do appreciate the efforts of many though it makes things easier ^_^

I live in hampstead omni unfortunately not much closer than before for you all

I will try to look to Baltimore for venues also since that is a huge untapped area

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Zak, you have amazing secondaries. Your wario and your zero suit have pushed people in this region to their limits and your DDD is the best around. I know it's hard and an uphill battle, but you've already done it before and have been doing it ever since. Players like you make up MD/VA.

Everyone check this kid out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNUx1qv_nI

Taking away mk also takes away the hype of beating m2k with a mid tier.

On the subject of hosting more events, my workload this semester isn't too heavy so I'll try and get something up in college park. After apex is a as good a time as ever that this region still has something to prove.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I like the Apex rule where we get one coach per set. I'd want either Marcus or David as my coach lol.

:018:

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
expect another Xanadu tournament soon. Also, I don't think Luigi is a bad character at all, people just need to step there game up.

Coney

Smash Master
wario isn't that good of a character. when was the last time a wario made a dent at a national event?

if i picked up anyone it would have to be falco, mk, ICs or diddy...and none of those are fun for me.

Omni

BRoomer
No one uses Wario. That's why he doesn't make dents. I'm just saying, Wario is better than DDD and he's also a character you like.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
No one uses Wario. That's why he doesn't make dents. I'm just saying, Wario is better than DDD and he's also a character you like.
This hurts my feeling but it's also the truth. He is better than DDD and he's much more complicated. Sure, it's all "stay in the air" but he has a lot of cons that go along with his pros that can completely take a shit on his game completely. Chains grabs, grab releases, poor aerial priority against certain characters. It's a double-edged sword.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Brawl was lost to me as soon as I was told "either main Meta Knight or you're not going to make it far" at one of Zak's tournies. MK is fun to watch, but not to play for me. I have no drive to play it if that's the case.

There were little smashfests in 2011. Any ones that I knew of were either Zak's when he held them a day before his tourney or GimR/Aposl's. I remember once or twice I asked to come down to a HTC and people thought I was joking.

A lot of the people who played online around here quit. Even the friends I used to practice with across the US. They moved on since there are bigger games out (Marvel/SC2/LoL). Practicing with friends was my only way for real practice, but once that was out of the way, I was never motivated to get better because I had no way to get better.

Unrelated, but in general, I'm upset at the whole flip-flopping of the Brawl community in regards to Meta Knight after each national, considering after Genesis 2 everyone was hellbent on banning him and after Apex the very same people are hellbent on unbanning him. Being angry at a lot of the Apex staff (I never did get a chance to really vent my frustrations on a lot of things last night but that's why I'm really angry now), it was really the final straw.

I'm pretty much done.

Coney

Smash Master
the whole "main mk or lose" thing is bogus, you can succeed to a certain level with any character if you're good enough/smart enough...it's just about how successful you want to be.

Omni

BRoomer
the whole "main mk or lose" thing is bogus, you can succeed to a certain level with any character if you're good enough/smart enough...it's just about how successful you want to be.
def this.

i mean cmon bio you saw apex results. you saw the matches. whoever said just use mk or ur not going far is probably a scrub unless for w/e reason they believe you're not good enough to use a lower tiered top tier.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
The denver broncos playing in the divisional round of the playoffs this year is like ness winning a 100 man tournament. Both have happened, no reason you cant be a champion

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
The denver broncos playing in the divisional round of the playoffs this year is like ness winning a 100 man tournament. Both have happened, no reason you cant be a champion
As far as I know Tebow in the NFL is the equivalent of SF2 Akuma. :awesome:

but, like, in general there were a lack of smashfests and general practice sessions for both the low-mid and the people who've been here from the start, which (to me) have helped to hurt the skill level of this region. GimR & Aposl shouldn't be the only ones throwing public fests. Me personally I'd rather have people to practice against in my region than go on AiB Free Play and attempt to find a random brawler who doesn't lag too much. Everyone else feels the same way.

tl;dr is there any way to hold more fests?

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
As far as I know Tebow in the NFL is the equivalent of SF2 Akuma. :awesome:

but, like, in general there were a lack of smashfests and general practice sessions for both the low-mid and the people who've been here from the start, which (to me) have helped to hurt the skill level of this region. GimR & Aposl shouldn't be the only ones throwing public fests. Me personally I'd rather have people to practice against in my region than go on AiB Free Play and attempt to find a random brawler who doesn't lag too much. Everyone else feels the same way.

tl;dr is there any way to hold more fests?
I held more than a few fests last year in the fall, close to once every week where Noid, Powerhouse, Tanman, and others came (Mostly just me and Noid though) I can do the same this semester too.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Host a fest then bio? Be the change you want to see in the community. You still attend school right? I'm sure you can find a room in your school that you could borrow on a Thursday night or something and have a fest.

Top Bottom