• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchups Chart & Lists - Updated: 29/Oct

Fuujin

Smash Champion
From the Zelda Boards:

Zelda vs DDD: 40-60 DDD advantage (this hasnt been "official yet" but just a heads up it probably will be very soon)
Zelda vs ROB: 45:55 ROB advantage
Zelda vs Pit: 45:55 Pit advantage

Haha Zelda sucks ***
Funny how when brawl first came out Dedede vs Zelda was always 70-30.
I always knew it was like that and Dedede has always given me a hard time.

I personally don't see why she does so great with fox either.
Same with Sheik.
ALL sheik has on Fox is the tilt lock.
She's weaker, slower, does less damage worse recovery and larger.

Fox can D.I down and block the tilt lock until about 45 percent and considering how fast he is he isn't exactly easy to catch in it.
They based that match up on tilt lock alone and sheik doesn't completely "destroy" Fox.
At worse I'd say its 55-45 Sheiks favor.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Funny how when brawl first came out Dedede vs Zelda was always 70-30.
I always knew it was like that and Dedede has always given me a hard time.
Funny how she was above ZSS on the tier list too ^_^

I personally don't see why she does so great with fox either.
She doesnt

Same with Sheik.
ALL sheik has on Fox is the tilt lock.
She's weaker, slower, does less damage worse recovery and larger.

Fox can D.I down and block the tilt lock until about 45 percent and considering how fast he is he isn't exactly easy to catch in it.
They based that match up on tilt lock alone and sheik doesn't completely "destroy" Fox.
At worse I'd say its 55-45 Sheiks favor.
Ftilt is safe on block, is usually stale in this matchup for easier comboing, and leads into a guaranteed Usmash kill, and is very hard to SDI if even possible. The lock starts ~25% iirc.

Sheik is no slouch in speed, can gimp fox better than vise vera. Sheik is barely larger, the ftilt lock deals out immense damage, and they obviously gave the matchup more though than "LOL FTILT LOCKZ"

:(

Smash Master
OK, interpreting the numbers really isn't that hard. It's not saying anything about how many stocks or percent or whatever a character will win by or how many games they'll take in a set or the required skill discrepency to win for the disadvantaged character.

All it's saying is that a higher number represents a greater advantage than a lower number. In other words, all you can interpret from this chart is that Snake - Peach is better for Snake than Snake - Falco or something like that. (Note that this is still useful information)

The only numbers that have any non-relative meaning are 100-0, which assumes that given tech skill and knowledge equivalent to that represented at the highest level of the metagame (like a consistent 420 APM or something) a matchup is logically/theoretically unwinnable for the disadvantaged character. Basically you assume no mistakes and no mindgames, like the ability to swing Sheik's chain around for 8 minutes

and 50-50 which means the matchup is completely even at the highest level of the metagame.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
OK, interpreting the numbers really isn't that hard. It's not saying anything about how many stocks or percent or whatever a character will win by or how many games they'll take in a set or the required skill discrepency to win for the disadvantaged character.

All it's saying is that a higher number represents a greater advantage than a lower number. In other words, all you can interpret from this chart is that Snake - Peach is better for Snake than Snake - Falco or something like that. (Note that this is still useful information)

The only numbers that have any non-relative meaning are 100-0, which assumes that given tech skill and knowledge equivalent to that represented at the highest level of the metagame (like a consistent 420 APM or something) a matchup is logically/theoretically unwinnable for the disadvantaged character. Basically you assume no mistakes and no mindgames, like the ability to swing Sheik's chain around for 8 minutes

and 50-50 which means the matchup is completely even at the highest level of the metagame.
That was not the point. It's true that it's easier to compare numbers but there is no commonly accepted descriptions to these numbers. Some people consider a 60:40 as counter whereas some consider it as almost an even MU. That's why there is so much disagreements with these numbers. For example, two people may agree that some character is clearly disadvantaged to some other character but they have different understandings of the numbers so they begin to argue whether it's 60:40 or 70:30 which is just silly. I have also seen that people consider 60:40 as a hard counter.

I totally agree that the numbers should be changed to words.
"Ganon" > Counter > Disadvantage > Even < Advantage < Counter < Click'n win.
Something like this.

God, I didn't know that I can speak English.

Smash Master
There isn't a description for the numbers other than, X is a better matchup than Y. That's okay. You don't need to get more descriptive than that. Besides, what does "Counter" actually convey? You'll notice that you run into the same problem describing what the matchup actually means in terms of anything non-relative or quantifiable. Only now you shrunk the possible intervals, so the chart is even less descriptive than before.

When you argue that a number is wrong, you should reference another matchup. For example, Snake/Ike is wrong because there's no way Ike even has close to the same difficulty fighting Snake as Falco. Note that I actually know nothing about the matchup. It's just an example.

Basically, define "clearly disadvantaged" in objective terms. Then we'll talk.

Edit: Removed harsh tone. Please don't make me reconsider this policy in the future.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I know that numbers are more accurate but what does like 60:40 really mean? As I said, it hasn't been given any commonly accepted descriptions to them. It would be totally different if we had all agreed that for example 70:30 is "counter". Apparently we haven't so short descriptions would be better if we didn't make those agreements.

I'm still not saying that numbers should be removed. The best scenario would be that there is both the descriptions and the numbers although I think that description > numbers alone.

These are descriptions and numbers that I could see being used if both knows the matchup.

Practically impossible (100:0 - 90:10) = Even if you were ten times better than the opponent in terms of player skill you will most likely lose. Changing character is highly recommended if you dream of winning.

Counter (85:15 - 70:30) = The matchup is hard and your opponent has very solid tools for winning that beating him requires an exceptionally good player. Changing character is advised.

Disadvantage = (65:35 - 60:40) The other character has better tools for the matchup but is completely winnable although winning requires a good player.

Slight disadvantage (55:45) = The other character has slightly better tools for winning but player skill is still the biggest aspect of the matchup.

Even (50:50) = The characters are both equally good in the matchup so player skill will decide the winner.

Example:
Lucario vs. Snake
Disadvantage (40:60)
*insert short description*

This would be the easiest way to counterpicking and stuff when you actually know what the numbers mean.

Also don't mind my possible bad English ._.

Smash Master
I know that numbers are more accurate but what does like 60:40 really mean? As I said, it hasn't been given any commonly accepted descriptions to them. It would be totally different if we had all agreed that for example 70:30 is "counter". Apparently we haven't so short descriptions would be better if we didn't make those agreements.

I'm still not saying that numbers should be removed. The best scenario would be that there is both the descriptions and the numbers although I think that description > numbers alone.

These are descriptions and numbers that I could see being used if both knows the matchup.

Practically impossible (100:0 - 90:10) = Even if you were ten times better than the opponent in terms of player skill you will most likely lose. Changing character is highly recommended if you dream of winning.

I don't think you can even attempt to define "ten times better." You're just shuffling words around. The term is still completely up to individual interpretation.

Counter (85:15 - 70:30) = The matchup is hard and your opponent has very solid tools for winning that beating him requires an exceptionally good player. Changing character is advised.

What's the difference between a solid tool and just a regular tool?

Disadvantage = (65:35 - 60:40) The other character has better tools for the matchup but is completely winnable although winning requires a good player.

Everything besides 100-0 is winnable, so what exactly are you referring to with the qualifier "completely?" I might think MK/Ike is "completely winnable" and you may disagree, even though we both know the matchup inside and out and know exactly what tools each character can use against the other in a typical match at the current metagame. You see what I'm saying. You run into the same problem with the descriptions as you do with the numbers themselves. It's better to just accept that the definition of what constitutes a bad matchup is relative to all the other matchups in the game. Like, we both can say MK Ike is not harder for Ike than MK Jigglypuff is for Jigglypuff

Slight disadvantage (55:45) = The other character has slightly better tools for winning but player skill is still the biggest aspect of the matchup.

I think by now you can point out the subjectivity in this description for yourself

Even (50:50) = The characters are both equally good in the matchup so player skill will decide the winner.

This is acceptable, and people generally understand what it means

Example:
Lucario vs. Snake
Disadvantage (40:60)
*insert short description*

This would be the easiest way to counterpicking and stuff when you actually know what the numbers mean.

Just to reiterate, I still don't know what the numbers mean. Aren't you supposed to change character whenever you have a disadvantage? If your main is "10x better" than your secondary, you may put yourself at a disadvantage even changing for 90-10

Also don't mind my possible bad English ._. Your english is better than most of the rest of the boards
Responses bolded and underlined. I like arguing with you. I hope we can keep it respectful.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Responses bolded and underlined. I like arguing with you. I hope we can keep it respectful.
Lol thanks :bee: I'd like to but I'm afraid that I can't keep up with you because my knowledge of English isn't really that good. I had to use dictionnary many times which is slooooooow. Also I'm not sure if I understand right what you're saying so don't be suprised if I sound staupid at my response.

I'll try making this simple. When you're reading the chart and you see a specific matchup is 60:40. Okay, you can easily compare it to others and get somekind of general feel about it. But what about if some other people think that 60:40 doesn't mean the thing you thought about the number? It won't really tell how hard/easy the matchup is like should you manage well or should you consider counterpicking a other character to manage better? In the end numbers has been made to describe the matchup as simplified as possible and deepen counterpicking but you really don't know a lot because we have different opinions and feelings about numbers. That's because we don't have like a chart telling what 60:40 really means. Anybody can't tell what 60:40 exactly means apart from comparing if there is nothing but the numbers. If there were one I'd be okay with it but there isn't which is why I'm not satisfied with the numbers only.

My examples of the descriptions weren't the best, I know that. But I think that we should even consider creating commonly accepted descriptions what the numbers mean. The "tools" I said earlier are the things which help you to win the matchup. The more solid the tools are the better you can shut down your opponents game.

If we can't get any commonly accepted descriptions for the numbers then I just have to manage. Not a big deal but I hope that it should be even considered.

My "first" good argument in English =D This is fun, I must get arguing about some other things also -->

Rajam

Smash Champion
Updated :)

The example paragraph in the OP needs to be updated, it seems the Ganon: ICs matchup got a little worse since this thread was made.
? I don't know what you mean, the example in the OP uses Bowser, not Ganondorf, and those ratios haven't changed until today

Lucas boards finished Pika MU discussion, we've determined that it's between 45:55 (his favor) to 50:50 so a 47:53 is what you should put up.
Updated, though since the average between 45 and 50 is 47,5 i rounded it up, so i put a 48

From the Zelda Boards:

Zelda vs DDD: 40-60 DDD advantage (this hasnt been "official yet" but just a heads up it probably will be very soon)
Zelda vs ROB: 45:55 ROB advantage
Zelda vs Pit: 45:55 Pit advantage

Haha Zelda sucks ***
:O I'll update those next time, although it would be good to put these ratios in the OP in the Zelda thread

Btw, the Pika's underwent HUGE number changes, not necessarily bigger changes in advantages/disavantages, but moresore very speific numbers.

You may want to round if you wish, I wouldnt though I like numbers that break the 5 intervals :D

Heres the link http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254597
?? I don't see any changes compared to the ones you put before ._. I'll check better for the next update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP updated:

14-Nov-2009: Diddy Kong's last thread erased (and its ratios), the info there is older than a year; Jigglypuff's last thread erased (and its ratios), it wasn't an open matchup thread (personal guide); Lucas 48 Pikachu; Mario 60 Yoshi; Peach 50 Yoshi; Pikachu 43 Meta Knight, 45 Wario, 56 Falco, 42 Diddy Kong, 59 King Dedede, 37 Marth, 41 Mr. Game & Watch, 42 Olimar, 46 Ice Climbers, 46 R.O.B., 52 Kirby, 44 Lucario, 53 Zero Suit Samus, 48 Toon Link, 50 Pit, 57 Donkey Kong, 47 Peach, 47 Luigi, 68 Fox, 58 Wolf, 57 Sonic, 66 Sheik, 60 Bowser, 55 Zelda, 58 Pokémon Trainer, 51 Squirtle, 60 Charizard, 57 Ike, 52 Mario, 48 Ness, 54 Yoshi, 59 Samus, 58 Jigglypuff, 62 Link, 67 Ganondorf; Wario's last two threads erased (and their ratios), they weren't open matchup threads (personal guides); Wolf 45 Ice Climbers, 55 Olimar

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
This is a great chart, but I really wish the numbers were more consistant on both sides, especially when one board says that X is better than Y when the other board says Y is better than X. Other than that, this looks sweet. Can't wait until it's filled out all the way.

How long will it be till it's filled out?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
On the first list, you say that the ponderated ratio is on the tournament placings according to Ankoku's list right? It seems a little outdated atm.

Rajam

Smash Champion
This is a great chart, but I really wish the numbers were more consistant on both sides, especially when one board says that X is better than Y when the other board says Y is better than X. Other than that, this looks sweet. Can't wait until it's filled out all the way.

How long will it be till it's filled out?
Uff no idea, it's totally dependent on the various matchup threads specific to the characters involved

On the first list, you say that the ponderated ratio is on the tournament placings according to Ankoku's list right? It seems a little outdated atm.
No, I'm not using Ankoku's list at all, and i think i never did. A looong time ago i was using the 3rd tier list, which I'm not using today either. The ponderators depend 100% on the results of the Ranking List
The next is a copy-paste of what i explained to a guy who asked me a time ago how does the math behind the Matchup-Tier List works, with some corrections of what I'm currently using.

hey, i just saw your tier list based on matchups... i wanna say that i am impressed with how you calculated it, and i wanna know how you did it! im trying to make the same type of tier list for another game, and i want to know if you used any tools that i may also be able to use. thanks! :)

Hi! Thanks for your words, it's been a hard work :)

I don't use anything special besides common excel, so i'll tell you the maths behind for the Tier List:

1) I calculate the average ratio for every character "i" (i = MetaKnight, Snake, etc.), like showed in the Ranking List; let's call that average ratio Ri

2) I put that ratio Ri in the next formula:
Ti = [ 1/(100-Ri) - 1/100 ]^N
Where N is a factor i'll explain later, and Ti is a measure i picked of my own for seeing how important a matchup against the character "i" would be.

So, for example if Ri = 0, or near 0 (a character that has an average ratio of almost 0 against the others... no chance to win ever), you'll have Ti = 0 or near 0, for any N. That reflects that a matchup against that character doesn't matter at all
Now, if Ri = 100, or near 100 (a character that wins every matchup for sure always), you'll have Ti = infinite (for any N). That means the matchup against such a character is all that matters

3) Ok, next step is to build the right ponderators, for that, sum all the Ti's and let's call that sum T. Then, the ponderator Pi for every character is:
Pi = Ti/T
A note about T: In an ideal world, T would be the sum of all the Ti's as i said before, but, for every character, T changes, because it deppends if you have or not the ratios for every character. For example, if MetaKnight has not ratio against Pikachu, then T for MetaKnight would be the sum of all the Ti's except the one Ti that is for Pikachu. Remember to don't take into account the matchups for which there is not ratio

4) Choose a non negative N (the N from the formula in part 2). N is like a measure of how balanced is the game. If N=0, all the ponderators will be the same and you'll get the Ranking list instead of the Tier list; Now in the opposite, if N is big, the matchups against characters with higher average ratios Ri will matter more (and matchups against characters with low Ri will matter less). If you pick N near infinite, the matchup against the character with the highest Ri (MetaKnight for example) will be the only one that matters, independent the value of Ri (it doesn't need to be near 100 if you pick a huge N)
If you want to know... i picked N = 4 :) (***) but i suggest you to play around with this value, it can change your Tier List dramatically

5) Now you are almost ready! Last step is to calculate the ponderated ratio and build the Tier List. Let's see an example:

If Metaknight has a matchup ratio of 60 against Pikachu, 50 against Snake and 70 Ganondorf (and no more ratios), his ponderated ratio would be:

Ppikachu*60 + Psnake*50 + Pganondorf*70 + Pmetaknight*50

(Don't forget to include the mirror matchup with ratio 50)

----

Well, i hope you could understand something; don't hesitate to ask any doubt :) (even if you couldn't understand nothing, i can explain it again with more details, put more examples more detailed) .Good Luck with your Tier List!

(***): I changed this value a time ago into the standard desviation of the average ratios of the whole roster.

-----------------------------------

Anyone who wants the excel I'm using can just send me a PM. I have no problems sharing the document.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It sorta pains me to see Luigi dead bottom with all those other crappy characters >_<...we really should get out matchups in then :p

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Why isn't D3 vs DK updated to 60:40 D3?

It's not a bad match...

At all...

Even with the CG...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Infinites allowed/assumed to be in play unless the SBR bans/limits it seems like a fair criteria to use for deciding whether you should include it or not in matchup discussions.

Either that, or make two ratios. One with the infinite, one without. That is impractical for this chart though, and if you go that route, you might have people who want you to include other matchups that have a "large influencing factor" and ask you to give two separate ratios for those matchups as well (for example, what the Falco vs Wario matchup would be like if Wario could not/doesn't Dthrow CG him, or Wario vs DK, Marth vs Ness, Ice Climbers vs everybody lol, etc.)

Rajam

Smash Champion
Ike boards now have Diddy Kong vs Ike as 45-55

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238648

Who says you need to be good in tournaments to right up a half decent summery anyways? Screw the rules, I have an amazing beard!
Mario boards have discussed Mario vs Falcon as 60-40 Marios adv. and vs Ganon as
65-35 Marios adv.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227291 > thread
updated :)

Are you going on infinites allowed simply because it's more common in tournaments or... what?
Because they aren't officially banned ._.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP updated:

30-Nov-2009: Diddy Kong 50 Pit, 55 Pikachu; Ike 45 Diddy Kong; Link 45 Samus; Lucas 38 Wario; Luigi 30 Marth; Mario 60 Captain Falcon, 65 Ganondorf; Peach 55 Yoshi, 60 Wario; Sheik 55 Zero Suit Samus; Wario 40 Meta Knight, 55 Snake, Toon Link; Wolf 45 R.O.B.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
Given that Yoshi has pretty even matchups, it rather pisses me off to see him in E tier on the 3.0 tier list, he deserves at minimum C in my opinion. :)

Also, for Captain Falcon you're forgetting that he out-mans anyone in the game thus is by default in his own tier. :)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Given that Yoshi has pretty good matchups, it rather pisses me off to see him in E tier, he deserves at minimum C in my opinion
lol no.

That shield instantly makes D tier the absolute make he could reach outside of some miracle glitch. A very lack luster recovery hurts him further. Add in limited KOing options and very limited tournament results...that's not happening.

He's one of those "Could be higher, but never will be" characters. Mario and Bowser are in the same boat.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
lol no.

That shield instantly makes D tier the absolute make he could reach outside of some miracle glitch. A very lack luster recovery hurts him further. Add in limited KOing options and very limited tournament results...that's not happening.

He's one of those "Could be higher, but never will be" characters. Mario and Bowser are in the same boat.
So Yoshi having the fastest shield drop in game is a bad thing? Sure he lacks the ability to jump out of his shield but he can easily fire jabs out of shield or event f-tilt out pretty easily.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he have relatively even match ups against the rest of the cast, his worst being 35/65 against Marth and Game & Watch, which even then isn't terrible.

As for kill options, let's take a look: Yoshi Bomb which can be done after shield dropping, U-smash, F-smash(which can follow up after a b-air pretty effectively so long as you don't flub the spacing and get shield grabbed, F-air, D-air, U-tilt, and sometimes D-tilt at higher %.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
well if you're gonna make a man-tier, you're gonna have to put snake, wario, ike, and ganon right under him!
Wario also belongs to his own tier.

Wario Proctology. He will fix what hurts... 'WAH!' maybe...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yeah, I thought yoshi had 17 frames of shield drop lag while everyone else only has 7
Indeed.

That, and Yoshi's "KOing Moves" don't KO soon enough outside of Usmash and Fsmash really. Everything else is barely on the radar of "Kill Move". Except maybe Yoshi bomb, but I haven't looked at that move for a long time, lol.

Fair is too slow to be a good spike.

How the flip is Dair a kill move? Seriously. >_>

Utilt and Dtilt kill late.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
Indeed.

That, and Yoshi's "KOing Moves" don't KO soon enough outside of Usmash and Fsmash really. Everything else is barely on the radar of "Kill Move". Except maybe Yoshi bomb, but I haven't looked at that move for a long time, lol.

Fair is too slow to be a good spike.

How the flip is Dair a kill move? Seriously. >_>

Utilt and Dtilt kill late.
D-air is a fairly good gimp, if you get a solid hit with it you can almost always headstomp at the end of it, even if it doesn't kill that's a nice quick 30-35%

F-air is also really easy to land with, has enough knockback as well on a shielded target you can space it and pretty much follow up with whatever comes out fast enough due to the low lag time in landing out of a f-air. It's also really easy to land for me as I've been doing so since 64, even without the spike it's quite a nice launch. :)

and again, his matchups are solid enough he deserves better than E tier. sure he's no where near as broken as Metaknight but he can hold his own pretty well against the rest of the cast.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol @ fair and dair. one is SDI influenced and the other is situational depending on air release shenanigans. By itself it will almost never connect outside of reading an AD.

However, uair's pretty decent at killing too iirc.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If it's the footstool after the Dair that's KOing (against dumb opponents/opponents with LOL recovery), Dair isn't a kill move. Its the footstool.

Fair is not easy to land, that's a lie outside of said grab-release shenanigans. That's like saying DK's/Mario's/Snake's Fairs are easy to hit with: they aren't. They, with Yoshi's, all have one thing in common: way too freaking slow, especially when looking at what spikes are faster and stronger then theirs.

MUs aren't the only thing considered. No rep = no rise. Simple. Because with no rep, you can't prove those good looking MUs are actually correct. It would take multiple people using Yoshi well to prove the MU numbers. The only reason Yoshi will rise is if someone is placed below him: not him actually moving upwards due to his own actions.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah I'm aware, but isn't dair SDIable before the footstool connects? I might be wrong, but I thought that was the case considering how much time you had with the move. Plus, footstool is something that's very dependent on the opponent's recovery whether it will gimp them or not.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It probably is SDIable. G&W's Bair is.

It's only not SDIable if every hit does less then 1% damage. And as far as I know, only Zelda's stale Usmash does that.

Top Bottom