• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
He's just tall~ Since Mario attacks vertically it makes no difference but bigger characters you can get that one more hit in cause they're fat. >_> Plus Ike's usmash makes Ike lose half his vertical hitbox ;O I know I had a fireball go over my head in one video.

Mario's fireballs = Ike can't edge guard him to well

XACE-K

Smash Master
Nice to see I'm still in time for the Ike match-up.

- Ike will use his power and range to beat Mario much like he does to other characters. To stop this, try to get Ike in bad situations. Juggling him or comboing him will work.

- As everybody knows, Ike's recovery sucks. Cape or FLUDD this and Ike will have one less stock. Edgeguarding is one of your keys to winning.

- Fireballs aren't good enough to spam against Ike. They could set up combos or gimp Ike though.

- Ike doesn't use QD to recover. Some character boards still think that's a way for Ike to recover. If you already know about this, good for you. That's just a little pet peeve of mine...>_>

- Most (if not all) Ikes will CP Corneria, Green Greens or Pirate Ship since these are Ike's favorite stage. idk if Mario does good on any of these stages but you should avoid these and pick something else.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Nice to see I'm still in time for the Ike match-up.

- Ike will use his power and range to beat Mario much like he does to other characters. To stop this, try to get Ike in bad situations. Juggling him or comboing him will work.

- As everybody knows, Ike's recovery sucks. Cape or FLUDD this and Ike will have one less stock. Edgeguarding is one of your keys to winning.

- Fireballs aren't good enough to spam against Ike. They could set up combos or gimp Ike though.

- Ike doesn't use QD to recover. Some character boards still think that's a way for Ike to recover. If you already know about this, good for you. That's just a little pet peeve of mine...>_>

- Most (if not all) Ikes will CP Corneria, Green Greens or Pirate Ship since these are Ike's favorite stage. idk if Mario does good on any of these stages but you should avoid these and pick something else.
This has already been covered, this discussions seems to be over.

Jungle Japes is the best counterpick against Ike. The water is so close that he can't space his UpB correctly and if he falls into the water he's dead.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I can see that, but I think Rainbow Cruise is the better counterpick since Ike can barely use his ground game there.

But yeah, the majority of this discussion seems to be done. All in under 12 hours. ;)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
55:45 seems good for me. As long as each side knows the match-up then it's usually a pretty interesting fight.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
55:45 seems good for me. As long as each side knows the match-up then it's usually a pretty interesting fight.
No doubt, what does everyone else think?

Persuade me if u disagree. Nothing's set in stone. The jury's still out on whether or not Ike can Nair or Aether out of Uair/Utilt chains.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Worst I could see it is an even matchup, best odds could probably be no more than 60:40 Mario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I forgot, didn't you guys stop doing ratios for matchups? We don't have to do one if that's the case, I can definitely see why. A few boards have pissed me off as well being stubborn and abusing theory.

If that's the case, we should just stop here. The way the matchup works is pretty clear now.

If Ike can keep Mario out consistently, Mario loses. No question. He definitely has the tool to do so, it's just a matter of whether or not the player can efficiently use these tools to keep Mario from getting any kind of footing within range.

If Mario can get in and stay in, he'll get his gimps and KOs, but ONLY if he can rack up enough damage to get Ike offstage where he can take advantage. This requires Mario to powershield, use his OOS options, and approach intelligently.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We stopped discussing Ratios for OUR matchups, however we have no problem giving you our opinion for your character on YOUR matchups.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
we stopped our ratings to keep random lurkers from saying "LOL Ike is too slow! His match up is AT LEAST in 7-3 in _____ favor!"

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I can see that, but I think Rainbow Cruise is the better counterpick since Ike can barely use his ground game there.

But yeah, the majority of this discussion seems to be done. All in under 12 hours. ;)
ike's air-game is amazing. It's at least as good as his ground-game (nair, bair ftw). I wouldn't know a counterpick for Mario since i barely play them

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
To Ussi:

That's reason, as well as what Matador had already said too. Probably also because it would be somewhat hard to get to a rough estimation... But I suppose if you Marty-Os say you're done with Ike (pretty straightforward fight if I do say so myself, just wait until you get to Pokemanz Trainer and stuff...), then great! I'm glad you people understand that Ike isn't only just Fsmash kills.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I forgot, didn't you guys stop doing ratios for matchups? We don't have to do one if that's the case, I can definitely see why. A few boards have pissed me off as well being stubborn and abusing theory.

If that's the case, we should just stop here. The way the matchup works is pretty clear now.
That post just got +10 respect points from me.

I'm willing to drop my previous Ike's slight advantage claim and just settle for an even score, since the match-up is pretty clear on that. Anyone object?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Looks like the Mario vs. Ike match-up is prepared now. Nice discussion, everyone. Good thing RoK the Reaper isn't here to ruin it.

Well, I think Mario has a slight advantage on Ike. I've gotten so used to Ike's fair that dodging it's a piece of cake. Since I've gotten better at edgeguarding and cape stalling, I can see why Ike is at Mario's mercy when he's off the stage. The attacks that get me are jab (it's a good move anyways and more beast with jab-cancel), F-tilt at times, nair, usmash, and his bair at times, too. Other than that, it's fun juggling Ike with uairs (when I'm Ike, it's like a nightmare). Be careful of Ike's range and you're set. Fireballs are all right in this match-up, but camping won't work since fireballs aren't good for camping in the first place.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I see no objection anywhere, we're all probably crystal clear on how Mario will have a slight advantage on Ike.

as for Rok, I never knew the guy, wasn't around the board until sometime in early June.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
The main thing Ike has on Mario is range and a lot of it and a good Ike will be spacing like a madman. Ike has a lot of KO power but he has trouble abusing it because most of his kill moves are very slow. Ike has priority but it's often underminded by the fact that most of his atks don't have great start-up. Mario can't out right camp Ike but can make it very difficult to approach. Ike is also very easy to gimp, especially for Mario. Ike is also easy to juggle since he's both heavy and a large target. Ike does have a very good jab game and a high range jab combo. Ike also has a few quick areials. Yah, this match-up is about even but it still feels like Mario has a slight edge on Ike.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I see no objection anywhere, we're all probably crystal clear on how Mario will have a slight advantage on Ike.

as for Rok, I never knew the guy, wasn't around the board until sometime in early June.
Yeah, so it's 55:45 Mario's favor. As for RoK, you're lucky.

The Mario and Ike boards are boss like that. We handle match ups in a few days.
Agreed. Ike boards and Mario boards are top tier on the character boards tier lists.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm rather disheartened by the few Ike people agreeing on 45:55. I mean, I know Kinzer and Xace will agree to anything you guys say...but...

Oh well, write whatever you choose for your match-up ratio, 55, 45, 50. It's all near neutral anyways.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, if you round my ratios, you get a 55:45 Mario, and I'm not really guillable just to let you know. ;)

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm rather disheartened by the few Ike people agreeing on 45:55. I mean, I know Kinzer and Xace will agree to anything you guys say...but...
What's that supposed to mean? Besides, I'm fine with 55:45 Mario's favor, 50:50, or even 55:45 Ike's favor. I just don't want this to end up in an arguement like we had with the Lucario boards. >_>

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh Don't worry too much about the Lucarios. I'm sure that Timbers was the closest we would get to a smart discussion anyway...

P.S. We have stolen the Mario boards' matchup discussion for our own casual talk, what are you mustaches gonna do 'bout it?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Well, if you round my ratios, you get a 55:45 Mario, and I'm not really guillable just to let you know. ;)
What's that supposed to mean? Besides, I'm fine with 55:45 Mario's favor, 50:50, or even 55:45 Ike's favor. I just don't want this to end up in an arguement like we had with the Lucario boards. >_>
I'm joking guys, I trust you know that.

In any case, I'm perfectly okay with anywhere from 45-55 to 55-45 for both parties. It's a fairly straightforward match-up.

And I loved the Lucario board claims. I think 9:1 was posted a few times.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm joking guys, I trust you know that.

In any case, I'm perfectly okay with anywhere from 45-55 to 55-45 for both parties. It's a fairly straightforward match-up.

And I loved the Lucario board claims. I think 9:1 was posted a few times.
10:0 was posted a lot too.

And Kinzer, the moustaches will cape us when we're recovering. So we should stop with our casual talk.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
ike's air-game is amazing. It's at least as good as his ground-game (nair, bair ftw). I wouldn't know a counterpick for Mario since i barely play them
Lol, it's not amazing. Decent, but not amazing.

Mario's air game is better than Ike's, but Ike's ground game will destroy Mario, which is why Rainbow Cruise is a great counterpick against Ike.

XACE said:
Agreed. Ike boards and Mario boards are top tier on the character boards tier lists.
What does that make the Marth boards? God Tier? >_>

At least we're friendlier. :p

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nah the Marth's just went through their matchups, it probably didn't help that they probably "rushed" some of them (I mean c'mon, Marth vs. C.Falcon on who is manlier?), Light on the Ike boards for example actually bothers to write up a good summary on how to win vs. a specific character while the Marths just discussed the Matchup numbers and left the winning stradigies in the spam left in each thread. The Marth's also have more manpower to keep their boards up. Compare that to the Ike/Mario boards and we are either just some guys who are too stubborn/loyal to go MK/somewhat see the potential of the characters/ actually love the playstyles.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Lol, it's not amazing. Decent, but not amazing.

Mario's air game is better than Ike's, but Ike's ground game will destroy Mario, which is why Rainbow Cruise is a great counterpick against Ike.
Ike's air game has much, much more reach than mario's in all directions. bair comes out lightning fast, nair covers all of marth, u-air... yea if it hits its strong, fair has good knockback, dair is meteor/spike whatever it is :p.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Ike's air game has much, much more reach than mario's in all directions. bair comes out lightning fast, nair covers all of marth, u-air... yea if it hits its strong, fair has good knockback, dair is meteor/spike whatever it is :p.
except that marios arials come out FASTER, and also can juggle and lead to gimps unlike ikes arials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom