• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I want Monk's input on D3 definitely. Seeing as he knows how to play the edge and that stops the infinite...well...that's a big plus for us in that matchup.

Matt07

Smash Master
Here's the list if you need it, boss8.

I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Pro's:
+Ike's fairly slow.
+Recovery is easily thwarted via cape & Fludd.
+Very easy to juggle, even easier when he's in the air.
+B-air is really nice for approaching.
+F-tilt/U-tilt are very handly when on the ground. They come out quickly.
+D-air is a very safe approach to use.
+Fireballs help Mario with approach.
+Mario's Usmash out of shield works really good on a lot of Ike's approaches.
+Up B works against Jab Cancel's.

Con's:
-Jab combo is annoying at times. And racks up nice damage.
-He's powerful. Can KO you at ridiculously low percents if you get hit at the edge of the stage.
-His U-air/N-air have a somewhat decieving hitbox.
-If he's good at perfectshielding, his weak grabs can be annoying at times.
-Ike has good pressure at the ledgeguarding, making hit hard for Mario due to his small range.
-Difficult to approach.
-Grab release F-air combo on Mario.

Over-all Match-Up: 55:45 Mario's Favour.

And thank you for the discussion Ike boards, we greatly appreciate it.

I agree, let's do King Dedede next...better get writing Monk :laugh:.

vato_break

Smash Master
Well what i do sometimes i just get a few hits in and retreat to the edge. Fireballs spam from edge or bair at the edge,i try to stay at the edge though.Also capehug below stage.grabing him before he grabs you helps.Spacing is very important.

thats all i got.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Looking at the first page....we need to revisit some of these matchups once we're done. With FIHL's discovery and upB OOS going through like...everything...alot of these matchups aren't nearly as bad.

Famous

Smash Champion
Revisions should definitely be made...Mario has semi-grab releases on certain characters as well..Or should I say "jab releases"

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No, lets go for DeDeDe.

I just played against my friend's DeDeDe and got my *** handed to me several times, then I came up with a GREAT tactic to use against him that can make the matches VERY close if done correctly.

If we end up doing some other character, I'll be forced to make a thread about it. That's how good this tactic is.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You have projectile camping vs DDD, U-tilt juggle, and are faster in the air, but you have to get past his gay as hell shieldcamping game. Fortunately, D-air usually > his shieldcamping if he tries to spotdodge especially.

Once he's off the ground, he's less gay, but he does have disjointed attacks which is still gay if you don't space right. If you see him D-air, go for an Up-B out of shield.

Make sure to DI well if you're off stage, because his edgeguarding can be scary since he can hover anywhere. And gimp him back if he's offstage too.

Drecker

Smash Ace
Dedede - Get grabbed, lose stock.

You can't reliably ledge camp a good Dedede, our projectiles are better and ftilt ***** Mario's aerials.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If your edge game is good, definitely try Monk's strategy. You can't be grabbed when you're on the edge. That's your safe zone.

If your edge game is...untested like mine is, play quick but safe. You know EXACTLY what's going through his head. If he thinks it's safe to grab, he's going to grab...and he's going to hold the grab until you're within killing percentage. Know how to punish this.

Throw out your aerials (especially Dair) but go behind his shield. Get him in the air and keep him there. Gimp him when he goes off. Be smart if you're going to go for grabs, you can't afford to let him grab you. This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes. Spam Fludd, spam fireballs, hide in your shield and upB like there's no tomorrow. This is not an auto-loss for those too stupid to counterpick like myself. Speaking of counterpicks...what's the best stage vs D3?

And for God's sake...don't pull a Boss and avoid the infinite all match...but get killed by a Gordo. I died a little inside when I heard that.

Matt07

Smash Master
Posted this at the Dedede boards.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really don't have anything to add, I barely played Dedede's.

Famous

Smash Champion
Playing a good D3 near an edge is dangerous regardless of how good you ledge game is...Battlefield is not a good stage facing a good D3, Dtilt stage spikes and his inhale can do the same...

1.Instead of doing SH Dair do FH Dairs
2.Bair are punishable if your in front of D3
3.Dees absorbs fireballs making it somewhat of a pain to fireball spam...

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
If your edge game is good, definitely try Monk's strategy. You can't be grabbed when you're on the edge. That's your safe zone.

If your edge game is...untested like mine is, play quick but safe. You know EXACTLY what's going through his head. If he thinks it's safe to grab, he's going to grab...and he's going to hold the grab until you're within killing percentage. Know how to punish this.

Throw out your aerials (especially Dair) but go behind his shield. Get him in the air and keep him there. Gimp him when he goes off. Be smart if you're going to go for grabs, you can't afford to let him grab you. This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes. Spam Fludd, spam fireballs, hide in your shield and upB like there's no tomorrow. This is not an auto-loss for those too stupid to counterpick like myself. Speaking of counterpicks...what's the best stage vs D3?

And for God's sake...don't pull a Boss and avoid the infinite all match...but get killed by a Gordo. I died a little inside when I heard that.
The only problem is...it's usually always safe for DDD to grab....

in my opinion FD is one of the best stages for any match up...however the majority of yalls edge game hasn't ascended to godhood so I would say something really obscure....like Orpheon or Luigi's Mansion

Famous

Smash Champion
Seriously, the best stages are Yoshi's and Smashville...Even if D3 manages to grab you, he can't do it very far...You wont fear being stage spiked and the platforms are extremely helpful. Luigi's Mansion is banned in my region

Johnny_C

Smash Cadet
I'm with Famous about the stages, D3 can't keep you on stages like smashville where there's limited space to be cheap :p Battlefield is a good place to stand a chance against D3 and his infinite **** but gives him also some advantages, so it depends on your air-game.

Also, to avoid D3's grab, is good to have some explosive items, like Snake's granade (Don't know if someone else already said it, but a reminder wouldn't hurt).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes.
Ding.

In full honesty, you NEED a good edge game if you're going to beat DDD, there's just no other way around it. My friend plays a mediocre DDD and I get WRECKED by him if I don't apply a good edge game, because the chaingrab hurts. It's absolute BUTTRAPE if an infinite is pulled.

Camp the f*ck outta him. Cape his Waddle Dees, spam fireballs, and dodge the projectiles he throw (epsecially the ****ing Gordo). In fact, camp BOTH edges. FLUDD D3 off the stage and steal his edge, then fireball the crap out of him to rack up damage, and get off some aerials to keep him back. If he's forced to use his Up-B, CAPE IT! Those are the #1 kills you should be getting off of D3, and if you get it early you have a good chance at winning.

Always keep FLUDD charged, try REALLY hard to not get hit during your gay-fest. If you knock him off, use that FLUDD and kill his momentum to force his Up-B. (CAPE HIM!) If he lands back on the stage, avoid the gayassed splash damage by spotdodging or jumping over it and use B-air (seriously, it should be FRESH this match).

If you put him in a U-tilt lock, and he goes for a D-air, shield grab it. If you grab him, throw him off the stage! Then commence to FLUDD him and caping his Up-B.

Only aerial combo DDD if you're below him with U-airs. You need lagless moves this fight. If you find that you miss a hit and he's close to landing back on the ground, get the hell outta there and go back to the edge. You don't need to be doing anything else.

Ideal counterpick stages would be Lylat Cruise, Brinstar, and Rainbow Cruise. DDD will ALWAYS ban Lylat cruise because it completely destroys their chaingrab. Brinstar wrecks D3's gayfest due to the lava. Rainbow cruise puts chaingrabbing to a minimum at best. The Neutral stage counterpick should ALWAYS be Final Destination like how Monk says. It's the BEST stage for Mario's gayness.

You can FLUDD/B-air your way through Game and Watch. You can defensively fight your way through Metaknight, but D3 is the one character that has everything on Mario and he has to pull out everything in his arsenal to win. You either camp him hard or fail hard.

Always keep a counterpick in your back pocket if all else fails.

Famous

Smash Champion
We play with items off...But if that was a joke your a funny character, lol.

Picking FD can make the match go either way(when you get grabbed)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Famous...the match immediate switches to DDD's favor when you get grabbed...regardless of the level, actually no I take that back cause there are levels that force DDD to stop grabbing you(Orpheon, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise)however with the except of those it really doesn't matter. FD is my all time favorite stage because it's so much easier to **** people that try to attack you off the stage...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The point is to not get grabbed at all. Once you get grabbed, you might as well put the controller down, because D3 will go for that infinite.

Famous

Smash Champion
Not all people know how to do the infinite. It's also limited to 2 or 3 grabs down here...It's not always the end when you get grabbed either...I lived around 235% and managed to bring a match back. D3 players tend to go for predictable moves once you hit a high percentage...

Against D3, my best stage right now is smashville. Using the platform effectively will force D3 off the ground allowing you dominate him in the air...

Dory

Smash Journeyman
Famous...the majority of the nation has NOT banned DDD's infinite

also DDD has the moving platform infinite on Smashville
yeah and D3 has the regular infinite that if you just pressed grab really fast you could get it. Its not that hard to learn =( or even master so ALOT of people know how to do it...
ive seen people do it when i get grab... so i really try not to..

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Not all people know how to do the infinite.
And why should we Mario mains assume that they don't?

That's the point. You can't assume they don't know something until they show that they don't. Only then should you use other options.

Matt07

Smash Master
You get chaingrabbed to 300% (He can no longer chaingrab you), then you go all insane with Mario and make an epic comeback :).

But, unfortunately, that's asking for the impossible. One can only dream.

But seriously, basically you just spam Fireballs and Cape, hmm I see :D. But only 4% damage per Fireball :(.

cutter

Smash Champion
You get chaingrabbed to 300% (He can no longer chaingrab you), then you go all insane with Mario and make an epic comeback :).

But, unfortunately, that's asking for the impossible. One can only dream.

But seriously, basically you just spam Fireballs and Cape, hmm I see :D. But only 4% damage per Fireball :(.
It's ridiculously hard to try and camp DDD with fireballs when his Waddle Dees act as meatshields and his Ftilt can block them :ohwell:

At least you'll be refreshing your other moves, but your fireballs go stale as hell.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
You can camp DDD with the FLUDD but you better be pretty ****ing good with the FLUDD and follow-ups. So far, Monk's ledge camping is the safest thing to do.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
On the off chance that a D3 screws it up and does the infinite a little slower than he should, what should I be doing on my controller to capitalize on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom