• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famous

Smash Champion
And why should we Mario mains assume that they don't?

That's the point. You can't assume they don't know something until they show that they don't. Only then should you use other options.

I didn't SAY to assume that they don't, you can tell what and what they don't know while playing the D3 player...So it really doesn't matter until you actually play the person. If they do know the infinte then don't get grabbed, if they don't then **** at any opportunity you can...

Personally, I don't have a big issue over D3 though I do lose to him from time to time(Like any other person).

BTW, D3 can get out of Utilt lock after the 2nd or 3rd hit...

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, I've seen it done...Don't know how he escaped though...I'm guessing it was an error, as soon as I hit him with the 2nd or 3rd tilt he somehow was instantly placed on the ground and shielded...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
It depends I guess. I think they usually escape if their on top of Marios head (ya know footstool or w/e). But
I know if you hit him with utilt from the side, they can't escape until their at a certain % or certain point.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If you somehow get hit with D3's Fsmash... All I can say is GG, that'll KO you before he can infinite you. And if YOUR off the stage, D3 can WoP your poor recovery.
For christ's sakes. Why the **** does people keep saying our recovery is poor? It's better than than all the ****ty ones like Link's and Ike's.

A WoP isn't going to stop us if you do like what every other person does. DI, keep second jump, airdodge the WoP, and make it back to the stage. The only person who can outright **** our recovery is Metaknight, and even an experienced Mario main can get around that.

Seriously, DDD SHOULD NOT be gimping you.

And I suppose it's a personal thing, but after fighting so many G&Ws and Metaknights, I can bring them down to the last stock and the battle is usually always down to the wire. But DDD... I guess I just haven't fought enough of them to call him "easy" for me yet.

Lol, I've seen it done...Don't know how he escaped though...
A Level 9 CPU can do it... so I suppose it's possible. DDD shouldn't be able to "jump" away from it though.

As said before, just abuse the shield-grab and D-throw.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, I've seen it done...Don't know how he escaped though...I'm guessing it was an error, as soon as I hit him with the 2nd or 3rd tilt he somehow was instantly placed on the ground and shielded...

Lol, now that I think about it there are some unexplainable things that happen in brawl...

!. I played a DK player on battlefield and while he was recovering with his upB I did my dash attack and staged spiked him...(wasn't that close to him...Mabe I hit his finger?)

2.Boss played Korn (MK Player) Boss did his Dair while Korn did his UpB(while near the northern barrier)...Korn died without Bosses Dair finishing...And we all know that only the last hit of the dair has knockback...

Yeah, they escape while they are over your head so it's best to Utilt unitl the 30's then wait for a spot dodge or Dair coming from the D3 player...Though, you all knew this

viparagon

Smash Ace
Can D3 infinite you if you counterpick lylat?

Lylat works pretty well for my mario if I try to stick on the higher side and the platforms.

For christ's sakes. Why the **** does people keep saying our recovery is poor? It's better than than all the ****ty ones like Link's and Ike's.

A WoP isn't going to stop us if you do like what every other person does. DI, keep second jump, airdodge the WoP, and make it back to the stage. The only person who can outright **** our recovery is Metaknight, and even an experienced Mario main can get around that.

Seriously, DDD SHOULD NOT be gimping you.

And I suppose it's a personal thing, but after fighting so many G&Ws and Metaknights, I can bring them down to the last stock and the battle is usually always down to the wire. But DDD... I guess I just haven't fought enough of them to call him "easy" for me yet.

A Level 9 CPU can do it... so I suppose it's possible. DDD shouldn't be able to "jump" away from it though.

As said before, just abuse the shield-grab and D-throw.
i dunno, d3 doesn't really have trouble gimping anyones recovery...
He can pursue REALLY far offstage, to a point where mario doesn't have many options
What about caping to approach?

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, it's not hard to avoid D3's ledge guarding tactics though at the same time it isn't easy...Offstage, D3 can put you at a serious disadvantage especially if your recovering low..Recovering high is easy since you have enough time to do moves like spot dodging, Dairing, caping and Fballing before you hit the ground...

Lylat is good just don't put yourself in a position where you have to recover at a low altitude...Though he can't chaingrab(can still infinte) you very well he can always inhale you and spit you out under the stage...You can sometime recover from this IMO...

viparagon

Smash Ace
Lol, it's not hard to avoid D3's ledge guarding tactics though at the same time it isn't easy...Offstage, D3 can put you at a serious disadvantage especially if your recovering low..Recovering high is easy since you have enough time to do moves like spot dodging, Dairing, caping and Fballing before you hit the ground...

Lylat is good just don't put yourself in a position where you have to recover at a low altitude...Though he can't chaingrab(can still infinte) you very well he can always inhale you and spit you out under the stage...You can sometime recover from this IMO...
can he still infinite you regardless of how the stage is tilted? What are the best counterpicks? does melee yoshi's island work out well?

Famous

Smash Champion
Lylat wil probably make the D3 player mess up the infinite from time to time due to the stage tilting mabe?...Don't know for sure.

Well here are some good stages

1. FD as Monk recommended (Fireball approach)
2. Yoshi Island (Platform Usage)
3. Smashville (my personal favorite)

I really dont think battlefield is a wise choice but it works sometimes...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
i dunno, d3 doesn't really have trouble gimping anyones recovery...
Only if you put yourself in that position, which you shouldn't be, really.

What about caping to approach?
Judge Judy brought this up a few pages back. It's a risky move and probably not a good move unless you have B-stick up and do a wavebounce. He can still grab you.

vipadragon said:
What are the best counterpicks? does melee yoshi's island work out well?
Lylat Cruise is still a good counterpick regardless of the infinite.

To help yourself out with the whole "don't get grabbed at all" stuff... Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Frigate Orpheon.

I wouldn't pick Yoshi's Island because gimping him is almost impossible there. Low blast zones doesn't help much either.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Lylat wil probably make the D3 player mess up the infinite from time to time due to the stage tilting mabe?...Don't know for sure.

Well here are some good stages

1. FD as Monk recommended (Fireball approach)
2. Yoshi Island (Platform Usage)
3. Smashville (my personal favorite)

I really dont think battlefield is a wise choice but it works sometimes...
what about old yoshi's island?
woops hereo just answered.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Norfair can be a good counterpick too if you know how to use it to your advantage. I'm not one of those people though.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Brinstar is probably the most legit counterpick. D3 boards should agree too. Well anything with moving/hazards is already legit counter pick. Battlefield is nice sometimes, just probably a good start off. His utilt completely takes over a platform lol.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
You guys should get seem DDD's here and add some input.

Don't worry, Im on it.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Lylat does interfere with the CG/Infinite, so its a very good CP.

Smashvile isn't that good of a CP, as D3 can infinite mario much easier here if both are on the moving platform, D3 can also infinite ROB, Snake, Ganondorf, and a few others on this moving platform as well. How he does this, I have no clue, I sometimes do it with him, othertimes I don't.

Brinstar and Norfar are good CP's too, as both interfere with infiniting and CGing, and DO NOT pick castle seige, 2nd part, if he gets a grab off, he'll CG you to the walk off edge and kill you.

gantrain05

Smash Master
it may be just me.....but i always counterpick pokemon stadium, dunno why, i just seem to play better there, and i know the terrain and how to use it.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's always better to go with a stage you know rather than a stage you don't know.

That's why I do well on Pirate Ship while others are like "wtf why!?"

Dory

Smash Journeyman
norfair vs d3s (if not on CP list go brinstar)
thats it....

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Don't write off D3's edgeguarding so quickly. Our recovery's predictable, no denying that. The problem is that most characters can't safely try to edgeguard Mario because of his defensive options; most don't have the tools to get around it.

D3's no such character. His multiple jumps counter our fireballs. His disjointed hitbox and crazy range make stalling unsafe, and he's too heavy to push back very far with Fludd to ensure safe approach to the stage. Our upB isn't even as potent for thwarting edgeguarding attempts because of D3's wide range of disjointed hitboxes. Even if we go over him, it's not hard to chase and punish with D3 if you predict where your opponent is trying to land. That could easily lead to a grab.

...That...and he has a projectile....nice job Sakurai.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^I find his projectile hitting me to be handy if I DI upward (unless it's a ****ing gordo).

Hmm... are we done here? We talked about D3 to death.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ah yeah, I hate the Waddle Doos. Get rid of them as quick as possible. >_>

Never been killed by a Waddle Dee before though.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Don't write off D3's edgeguarding so quickly. Our recovery's predictable, no denying that. The problem is that most characters can't safely try to edgeguard Mario because of his defensive options; most don't have the tools to get around it.

D3's no such character. His multiple jumps counter our fireballs. His disjointed hitbox and crazy range make stalling unsafe, and he's too heavy to push back very far with Fludd to ensure safe approach to the stage. Our upB isn't even as potent for thwarting edgeguarding attempts because of D3's wide range of disjointed hitboxes. Even if we go over him, it's not hard to chase and punish with D3 if you predict where your opponent is trying to land. That could easily lead to a grab.

...That...and he has a projectile....nice job Sakurai.
Nice job indeed.
We need a better balancer in SSB4.

Matt07

Smash Master
Just stay on the edge, u-air, Fireball, and Up b back to ledge. Waddle Doos, or whatever they're called can't hit you when you on the edge....right?

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
D3

Full Jump is better than SH in most situations.
F-smash has enough range to stay out of grabs.
Mario can Combo D3 from D-throw.
Cape is the easiest way to mess up D3's recovery.
The trick to edgegaurding D3 is getting him to use his jumps by using B-air, Cape, Fireballs and Up-angled F-smash.
D-air and Blind U-air can keep D3 in the air where he lags.
Up-angled F-smash can hit D3 off the level into edgegaurding.

Stages:
Rainbow Cruise
Delfino Plaza

D3 has to move a lot on these stages

If not banned:
Hannenbow

Leaves mess with infinite grabs not much room to dash grab

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
D3

Full Jump is better than SH in most situations.
F-smash has enough range to stay out of grabs.
Mario can Combo D3 from D-throw.
Cape is the easiest way to mess up D3's recovery.
The trick to edgegaurding D3 is getting him to use his jumps by using B-air, Cape, Fireballs and Up-angled F-smash.
D-air and Blind U-air can keep D3 in the air where he lags.
Up-angled F-smash can hit D3 off the level into edgegaurding.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Do not pick Delfino Plaza for a counterpick... do not use F-Smash to stay out of grab range...

Matt07

Smash Master
Camp,camp,camp, The Master of Mario. Use Fireballs and Cape, never let yourself approach him, because your asking to be grabbed. He knows that once you approach him, he's just going to aim for that infinite. Although as boring as that sounds to camp, you can't let yourself be grabbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom