• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

King Daydayday (Yes, I'm typing it the way they pronounce his name in Japan.)

Pros:
+You can u-tilt, and u-air juggle Dedede quite well.
+Mario is faster in the air.
+D-air can help you against his Shield Grabbing game.
+Dedede doesn't have many options when your on the ledge.
+Can easily cape his Up B.
+Can break out of infinite at lower then 120%.

Cons:
-His infinite, and chaingrab hurts.
-He can 'gimp' you due to Mario's tele-graphed recovery
-Camping makes it hard to approach him (but don't bother approaching.)

What to do in this match-up. Special thanks to everyone at the Mario boards for this!

Matador's, HeroMystic's, and Monk's, summary of what to do againt Dedede.

In order to battle DDD's camping, you must be more of an a$$hole than DDD is. You have to camp both the edges of the stage, which means stealing his edge too. In order to do so, FLUDD him (fully charged) off the stage to steal his edge, then try to gimp him by spamming FLUDD at him to kill his momentum (Fireball spam and aerial WOP also works too). After his fourth jump, he'll be forced to use Up-B, cape it as soon as possible.

If he goes on the offensive, be gay and camp the edge. Avoid the grab and put him in a u-tilt lock. Abuse the shield-grab and d-throw and use U-air to continously rack up damage. Eventually, throw him off the stage, then commence to gimp him. If he makes it back with his Up-B, just grab him or knock him back off with a B-air, then try again.

If there's any chance you screwed up on the damage racking and missed an attack, get out of there and camp the edge again. It doesn't matter how much momentum you had or how much you f*cked up DDD, it's all over if you get grabbed.

'This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes. Spam Fludd, spam fireballs, hide in your shield and upB like there's no tomorrow. This is not an auto-loss for those too stupid to counterpick like myself.'
Special thanks to the Dedede boards for their contributions.

If I missed anything else let me know :).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Matt, this pretty much summarizes what Mario should do.

In order to battle DDD's camping, you must be more of an a$$hole than DDD is. You have to camp both the edges of the stage, which means stealing his edge too. In order to do so, FLUDD him (fully charged) off the stage to steal his edge, then try to gimp him by spamming FLUDD at him to kill his momentum (Fireball spam and aerial WOP also works too). After his fourth jump, he'll be forced to use Up-B, cape it as soon as possible.

If he goes on the offensive, be gay and camp the edge. Avoid the grab and put him in a u-tilt lock. Abuse the shield-grab and d-throw and use U-air to continously rack up damage. Eventually, throw him off the stage, then commence to gimp him. If he makes it back with his Up-B, just grab him or knock him back off with a B-air, then try again.

If there's any chance you screwed up on the damage racking and missed an attack, get out of there and camp the edge again. It doesn't matter how much momentum you had or how much you f*cked up DDD, it's all over if you get grabbed.

'This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes. Spam Fludd, spam fireballs, hide in your shield and upB like there's no tomorrow. This is not an auto-loss for those too stupid to counterpick like myself.' ~ Matador
If you do get grabbed, remember that It takes two pummels then a D-throw to keep the infinite up consistently. Try your hardest to break out of it. You -are- able to break out it if you're not over 120% or so.

Don't worry about the infinite. Worry about the chaingrab instead. That is a lot more damaging than the infinite.

Matt07

Smash Master
Okay thanks, and updated. Do you mind if I give you, Monk, and Matador credit, for that summary you gave me? You guys provided a lot on what to do against Dedede, and need credit. If I missed anyone who did, please let me know as soon as possible.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If you feel it's needed, then go right ahead.

Honestly I wanna move on to someone else right now. DDD gets boring after awhile. :urg:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm interested in Luigi.

I can tell you what to do against Link when the time comes however.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Eh...I hate Mario vs Luigi. I'm not too eager to argue with the Luigi boards again either. There's only a few Luigi mains that don't piss me off.

<3 Hippiedude92

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I find them kinda frustrating ever since the Ike match-up, but we'll have to deal with it sooner or later.

I'll probably just observe quietly (unless there's something obviously wrong I need to point out) for the sake of allowing things to run smoothly.

But ultimately, it's up to you guys.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Eh...I hate Mario vs Luigi. I'm not too eager to argue with the Luigi boards again either. There's only a few Luigi mains that don't piss me off.

<3 Hippiedude92
Lol yeah after those months too =/ And pssh you know it's in mario's favor at like 999-1 :p

and yeah i guess we'll go with link actually, i think the links listed it like 40-60? or 45-55?forgots

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol yeah after those months too =/ And pssh you know it's in mario's favor at like 999-1 :p

and yeah i guess we'll go with link actually, i think the links listed it like 40-60? or 45-55?forgots
I actually have a VERY hard time with good Luigi's. The ones that avoid being edgeguarded and know how to space.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I actually have a VERY hard time with good Luigi's. The ones that avoid being edgeguarded and know how to space.
Too bad Mario spaces better. I see the match close to even. like 55:45 Luigi, or 50:50. Playing defensive is the key.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Too bad Mario spaces better. I see the match close to even. like 55:45 Luigi, or 50:50. Playing defensive is the key.
Doesn't matter if everything Luigi has > Mario's arsenal...except for maybe Fsmash since it's disjointed. That...and the fact that KOs should be coming at ridiculously low % from his Fsmash, Usmash, and jab -> upB. His comboing isn't half bad either. His terrible approach isn't really even an issue since his falling Nair or spaced Bair pretty much go through everything.

So yeah, playing defensive definitely is the key. I suppose Luigis counter MY playstyle specifically...since I don't really play defensively when I should...

Matt07

Smash Master
I was in a WiFi match, got chaingrabbed off the walkstage, lost a fresh stock which was for my teammate since he was at like last stock high percent, I was :mad:, let me tell say that.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I almost never approach Luigi. I normally get punished whenever i get predictable in approaching him. There's no reason to approach him, your defensive options are betting than his approaching and he has no choice but to approach. On top of that Mario has slightly more range than Luigi.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Luigi has better reach with his aerials than Mario but has low horizontal air movement. Luigi has more power than Mario. Luigi gets ***** to hell by FIHL though. Luigi can juggle as well as Mario. Mario has better edge control than Luigi but not but a lot. Approaching Luigi isn't too hard but you can easily get punished if you're not careful, playing defensively is a lot safer. Luigi is a little easier to gimp for Mario than vice-versa but not by a lot. This match-up is pretty much even, 50/50 almost for sure in my opinion.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lolwut? this rather turning into a luigi discussion o.0. Marios reverse upair > luigis upair in air/power. probably the best legit counterpick against luigi is rainbow cruise because luigis poor piss aerial movement. Do we really have to into a luigi discussion? lol. (looks at the past)

Kidlat

Smash Apprentice
guys guys. Luigi is our best friend. It really doesn't matter who's better. We should be more worried about that ***** DeDeDe who has infinites on both of us.

And the more I think about it, this game seems like its a Kirby game. Sakurai made this game and he made his characters very good in comparison to others. Also, notice how almost every Mario chracter gets chained grabbed by DeDeDe.

RIP Backthrow

Matt07

Smash Master
:laugh:, No man. He made Mario so broken, like seriously, FLUUD, fast aerials, good K.O power, broken d-tilt, that does 150%, seriously it's amazing, how much time he spent into Mario.

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol no your not. I fully agree and know that his characters are the best, it's kinda hmm...weird that he would do that but oh well.

Famous

Smash Champion
Luigi is like Mario on crack...More power, priority and range. Doing Utilt more than twice is out of the question since Luigi will Nair through it...

If Luigi is used well it could also be hard for you to gimp him.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Luigi is like Mario on crack...More power, priority and range. Doing Utilt more than twice is out of the question since Luigi will Nair through it...

If Luigi is used well it could also be hard for you to gimp him.
Mario has the same priority as Luigi, and Luigi doesn't have good horizontal air movement. Luigi does have better reach and KO power though.

Matt07

Smash Master
I usually like to be a little careless here with my Up B out of shield, which isn't good because well, perfect chance for Luigi to use his Up B :(.

Famous

Smash Champion
I never use UP B against Luigi..It's not good to follow up air moves frequently against Luigi either...

Lol... Dair-2nd jump-Uair....
Bam! Luigi Nairs and interrupts your combo..

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Here you go.

I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

King Daydayday (Yes, I'm typing it the way they pronounce his name in Japan.)

Pros:
+You can u-tilt, and u-air juggle Dedede quite well.
+Mario is faster in the air.
+D-air can help you against his Shield Grabbing game.
+Dedede doesn't have many options when your on the ledge.
+Can easily cape his Up B.
+Can break out of infinite at lower then 120%.

Cons:
-His infinite, and chaingrab hurts.
-He can 'gimp' you due to Mario's tele-graphed recovery
-Camping makes it hard to approach him (but don't bother approaching.)

What to do in this match-up. Special thanks to everyone at the Mario boards for this!

Matador's, HeroMystic's, and Monk's, summary of what to do againt Dedede.

'This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes. Spam Fludd, spam fireballs, hide in your shield and upB like there's no tomorrow. This is not an auto-loss for those too stupid to counterpick like myself.'
Special thanks to the Dedede boards for their contributions.

If I missed anything else let me know :).
The majority agreed on either 70:30 or 65:35

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Mario
-Has better F-tilt
-Dash Attack has Super Armor
-F-Smash is disjointed + Stutter step
-Cape Gimps Recovery
-F-air has larger Spike hitbox.
-Mario has D-air(14% damage, vertical KO on Battlefield, good priority and little lag, SH D-air+N-air)
-Mario has Fludd and Cape for Projectiles and Rush attacks.
-Fireball helps ground game , edgegaurding and air game.
-Up special has less lag then Luigi

Luigi
-Has Stronger smashes and Up-special for vertical KO when sweet spotted.
-Has a better D-tilt and can slide across the stage
- D-smash and N-air has vertical knock back.
-Most moves KO vertically.
-Aerials do slightly more damage overall.
-Fireball helps defensively like falco.
-Side Special helps horizontal recovery.
-Tornado uses the power of his jumps to greatly improve vertical recovery.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario
-Has better F-tilt
-Dash Attack has Super Armor
-F-Smash is disjointed + Stutter step
-Cape Gimps Recovery
-F-air has larger Spike hitbox.
-Mario has D-air(14% damage, vertical KO on Battlefield, good priority and little lag, SH D-air+N-air)
-Mario has Fludd and Cape for Projectiles and Rush attacks.
-Fireball helps ground game , edgegaurding and air game.
-Up special has less lag then Luigi

Luigi
-Has Stronger smashes and Up-special for vertical KO when sweet spotted.
-Has a better D-tilt and can slide across the stage
- D-smash and N-air has vertical knock back.
-Most moves KO vertically.
-Aerials do slightly more damage overall.
-Fireball helps defensively like falco.
-Side Special helps horizontal recovery.
-Tornado uses the power of his jumps to greatly improve vertical recovery.
Meh, these pros and cons are sloppy and I'm positive that Mario's dash atk does not have SA. Mario's dash atk has some IASA frames but not SA.

Pros:

+Better projectile game

+FLUDD stops all of Luigi's approaches

+Luigi's recovery is farily easy to intercept and gimpable on many occasions

+Mario is much swifter in the air than Luigi due to Luigi's poor horizontal air movement

Cons:

-Luigi generally has better reach on with his atks than Mario

-Luigi has more KO power

-Longer recovery which allows Luigi to stay out longer off-stage than Mario, not counting cape stalling

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Omfg... plz stop with luigi discussion, I definitly know its already dead 50-50... we've had so many discussions on this on the past... it's not even fkin funny...

taken from luigi matchups, some quotes and tidbits from the past.. edit: i think something might be wrong not sure but correct w/e.

I did a lot of testing and ALL of Mario's Smashes outrange Luigi's (doesn't make sense, but that's the fact. Mario apparently leans more when he U-smashes, and Mario sticks his legs out further when he D-smashes), but Luigi can do a charged Hyphen Smash and slide significantly farther than Mario's charged DAC (although don't get me wrong, Mario's properly done charged DAC slides a pretty good distance).

Most importantly, Mario's F-smash has a LOT more range than Luigi's, especially since he can stutter step it. Luigi's F-smash mainly has the advantage of less ending lag.

I think this fight is very even. Both can ledgeguard the other fairly easily. Mario has significantly better camping and more reliable out of shield options giving him the better defensive game. Luigi however has significantly stronger kill moves and better range on a number of useful moves that aren't used for killing (Jab, U-tilt, F-air are the significantly noticeable ones from what I've seen).

Luigi
forward smash angled up: 15% damage
forward smash: 14% damage
forward smash angled down: 13% damage

Mario

Forward smash angled up: 18% damage if sweet spotted, otherwise 15%
Forward smash: 17% damage if sweet spotted, otherwise 14%
forward smash angled down: 16% damage if sweet spotted, otherwise 13%

Mario's forward smash only gives more damage if you hit with the fireball. Hit up close and it'll do the same as Luigi's.
No wrong, Mario's D-smash DEFINITELY has more range than Luigi's. Both on the front and back hit, but more noticeably on the back hit I'll point out. On the front hit, Mario's feet grow in size a little. On the back hit, he points his toe a fair bit outwards. Luigi on the other hand seems to keep his feet closer to his body when he D-smashes, cause I dunno, maybe he's not as athletic and doesn't really know how to breakdance? =/

Also I'm not sure if Luigi's U-smash always kills earlier than Mario's because DI seems to have a greater effect and it goes diagonally.

Luigi's main advantages to Smashes besides being a little bit stronger is that he can charge a Hyphen Smash and slide further than Mario's charged DAC, and his F-smash has a little less ending lag than Mario's.

Aliasvee, you do realize also Mario has the ability to angle his F-smash too to intercept aerial approaches, right?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Omfg... plz stop with luigi discussion, I definitly know its already dead 50-50... we've had so many discussions on this on the past... it's not even fkin funny...

taken from luigi matchups, some quotes and tidbits from the past..
Agreed, but what character is being discussed for this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom