• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #20: Sonic| Stage Discussion

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. Sonic

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* How Do We Judge Ratios?

To assign ratios, one must know what each ratio mean.

50:50 - Neutral/Even. Both characters have an equal amount of advantages and disadvantages against each other. The degrees of punishment and tactical efficiency are accurately similar on both sides.

60:40 - Advantage/Disadvantage. One character has something over the other character that puts him/her in a bad position, be it long range, fast speed, high juggle ability, etc. While the lesser character can get around it, it'll often be a nuisance to get around.

70:30 - Heavy Advantage/Disadvantage. The winning character capitalizes on the losing character quite hard. Usually in these cases, it's the winning character has a strength, that directly goes against the character's weakness. For instance X Character is fast and has long range, while Y character is slow and has short range.

80:20 - Extreme Advantage/Disadvantage. Winning Character has something so huge over the losing character that it over-centralizes the match-up(DDD vs DK comes to mind). This starts to enter the realm of unwinnable, though not quite there.

I won't go any higher/lower than that. I also didn't do anything in-between because it's far too specific to go into, though that doesn't mean the ratios can't be used. It mainly pertains to varying degrees when looking at advantages/disadvantages.

When that understood, the rest is easy(not really). Compare and Contrast all advantages and disadvantages of each character, and see which character has the better advantage.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:sonic: Sonic :sonic:

KEY POINTS

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game:
Ground Game:
Approach:
Defense:
Camping Game:
Edge Game:
Surviving:
Killing:
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
* Possible Sonic Strikes
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Final Destination,Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Castle Siege, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
* Possible Sonic Bans
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Final Destination,Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
* Possible Sonic Counterpicks
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Possible Secondaries

Videos & Other Outside Resources
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrnRDNc1I0

VERDICT :fox: 55:45 :sonic:

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION GO!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I know you guys might be thinking.

"Well this is random"
or
"Why are you doing this when you still have others you haven't finished?"

Well I'm doing this because I will after today this MU will be fresh in my head and that this can go into full swing and end fast.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I have a lot of input on this matchup, but Id rather not share it until after I take the poster above the above posters money later today. =P

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Then you should know Fox's Utilt basically clanks or beats all of your moves right?

*Gets ready for the flames*

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Then you should know Fox's Utilt basically clanks or beats all of your moves right?
Responses like that is why you shouldn't be allowed input. Almost every move in the game clanks or beats out Sonic's attacks. Your point is
invalid
flawed. I wish I could play you so I can silence your ignorance once and for all.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
^ I love devil's advocate

EDIT: In all seriousness even though it is fun to mess with Excel.

50:50
55:45 Fox maybe.

Camping in this MU is very hard. Sonic has his stupid fast speed and Spin Dash tricks that will make you mess up with camping.

Hanzhou

Smash Journeyman
No one to play smash with South Jersey -Keith Kush
Nair in this MU is good esp vs Spin dash. Pivot grab (Boosted or regular) can beat Spindash and that UpB to dair autocancel stuff.

Also SHDL still isnt bad in this MU making sonic approach isnt really a bad thing as you can try to predict what action sonic will take. Standing laser obv is horrible cuz of sonics speed.

Stages for me personally I like going FD vs sonic. After playing some sonic named Blue at a tourney I felt I had comfortable space to SHDL and weave in and out of sonic's aerial game / spin dash tricks.
Also BF is good in this MU as it makes Fair so much better vs sonic and you can pressure him on the plats.

I'm sorta rusty in this MU so don't mind me if I'm misinformed. Usually in this MU I get bored and go into autopilot by game 2 or 3. Regardless I kinda think this MU is 55-45 Fox. On like SV I think it's even imo but that's from bad experience <_<

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
You guys are talking about individual maneuvers; SHDL, pivot/wavegrab, etc.

The issues don't have much to do with which moves to use or not use, it mostly has to do with how you go about using them.

I have quite a bit of experience in the Fox/Sonic game, and I'll try to provide some insight here.

There are a select few character matchups for Fox where the traditional Fox spastic combo/attack string game isn't going to cut it, especially if your opponent knows their stuff. Sonic is one of these potential matchups.
Sonic is one of the few characters Fox simply cannot chase down, he flies across the stage very quickly, and attempts to pin down the blue blur are problematic at best. Gimping Sonic's recovery, while not impossible, is generally not a viable kill option like it is against most others.
For this matchup (and a couple others), the Fox player could do well to pretend that Fox is instead a powerhouse type character.

It's not too difficult a thing to imagine, Fox does pack a surprisingly hard wallop with many of his moves, and Sonic is quite light. But, pretending that Fox is a powerhouse doesn't mean use only his powerful moves, it's more of an internal mental shift than anything else.
The powerhouse mentality is a totally different game than traditional Fox; it takes much more patience, careful watching, and surgical precision in where to place attacks. I personally do periodic training as Ike simply to get my mind around the strategic differences of a powerhouse's game. The different set of tactics fairly easily apply to Fox when up against characters like Sonic and Metaknight.

That's my blurb.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's not too difficult a thing to imagine, Fox does pack a surprisingly hard wallop with many of his moves, and Sonic is quite light.
Sonic isn't light at all.
He is a midweight and falls faster than Mario.

In anycase, my advice, be patient.
That is really the best thing you can do.
If you are not careful, Sonic WILL punish you and you really cannot chase him about.

in fact, most of your aerials will be broken by his ******** Uair, so you'll need to take advantage and FORCE sonic to approach.

Hence being patient since you'll be doing a good amount of pew pew since offensively, Sonic cannot maintain pressure directly.
You WILL have difficulty killing him, this is unavoidable simply because of how the character works.
That's it really.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
this match up is about 60-40 fox.

sonics only valid options are to hit and run fox, whether its in the air or on ground.his CQC is not very good, he needs to try and overwhelm fox with his speed.fox is light but it is still difficult for sonic to kill him, all he has is upair,bair and fsmash.
if sonic comes in via spin dash he is unable to punnish role dodge and then can be punnished back by fox's aerials.

i dont really have much to say on this match up, i played an amazing sonic awhile ago, the match isnot unwinnable for sonic, its just difficult.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
What are Fox's kill setups/options?

:093:
Shine>up-smash______0%-120%

H Nair>Up-smash_____30%-100%

S Nair>Up-Smash_____80%-145%

Drill>D-smash________80%-300%---(as long as one kick hits at 80% this will combo, meaning if you land more than one kick it should combo earlier)

Drill>Up-Smash______105%-300%---(as long as one kick hits at 105% it will combo, meaning if you land more than one kick it should combo earlier)

S-bair>Up-smash___20%>90% (At 70% you need to start dash up-smashing)

Drill>DJC>Shine>Up-smash

H Nair> Up-Smash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVuVyp0FZVQ

Shine>Up-Smash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXxt...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kxxu1Ar9OY

There you go, he has enough and more than you do I'm sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I'm a Sonic main and my younger bro Jort, is a Fox/PT main.

I've played the Sonic vs. Fox match up a billion times.

Here's some general notes that I've picked up over time:

Fox can't laser camp because sonic can cover the distance of FD in 60 frames.

Fox can't gimp his recovery very easily at all. Sonic has about 1000 recovery options (simply springing, combinations of spins and springs, spinning until under ledges and then wall hopping into more spins, etc.).

Fox can't illusion to the center of the stage to reset stage positioning very easily. Sonic can dash backwards and land a dash attack at worst or a pivot Fsmash at best (it's possible to do it unpunished, but at least 50% of the time, you will get hit for at least some damage).

Illusion gets beaten by Sonic's fair if Sonic is in position to use it.

Sonic is not light at all as was said by SL84 before me. Fox's upsmash will still kill him by about 105% or so I believe.

Drill > up smash and drill > down smash are Fox's best kill options in this match up imo. Hyphen smashes are good too.

Sonic's well spaced back and up airs generally out do Fox when both are in the air i believe.

Sonic is pretty limited to killing with Fsmash, Dsmash, and Bair.

Sonic can still make up air chase kills work, but against a Fox who is prepared for it, it will rarely work. Dairing as Sonic springs up can hit him and cause him to fail the kill, but a well spaced up air will be disjointed enough to out reach Fox's dair and earn the kill. A well timed air dodge is more effective and reliable imo.

Sonic can run off the stage and bair stage spike a Fox who has fallen to close to the ledge since Firefox's start up time gives Sonic ample time to cover what is necessary to drop off and aim a bair. We don't make it our goal to use that though, so it doesn't happen too often, but Fox players should keep it in mind (as I'm sure the case often is when they are in in such a situation) that a few frames delay could be the difference between life and death.

Fox has better kill options than Sonic overall in this match up, but not by a lot.

Sonic's dtilt can be chained to potentially rack up ******** amounts of damage (when started at low %s) against an unexpecting Fox, though is also not a widely used tool by Sonic players and after seeing it once or twice a Fox won't have many issues with it.

Fox can't rack up damage as easily as he can against many other characters when his gun is basically taken away and several of his kill options are hard to land when fighting Sonic's speed. Sonic still has difficulties killing, but has slightly better zoning options imo for racking up damage a bit faster than Fox can.

The match up comes down to a lot of crucial spacing moments once either gets within kill percentage. Neither side will find themselves with huge leads very often and come down to a close ending pretty often.

I'd say the match is about 50/50.

I might post back later with some thoughts about stages.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Long post^ so much I can say but you will have to wait till tommorow not in the mood for typing that much atm XD

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Shine>up-smash______0%-120%
From the video you showed it seems plausible but im VERY weary of anything that uses the Brawl combo counter as a method of proving a combo.

H Nair>Up-smash_____30%-100%
Does not work, Sonic is not a fast faller like Falco so DI helps him avoid it entirely.
S Nair>Up-Smash_____80%-145%
I am not too sure about this one.
I'll test it in the morning.

I am kinda forced to work with debug code since im by myself XD
Drill>D-smash________80%-300%---(as long as one kick hits at 80% this will combo, meaning if you land more than one kick it should combo earlier)

Drill>Up-Smash______105%-300%---(as long as one kick hits at 105% it will combo, meaning if you land more than one kick it should combo earlier)
These do not work, even when Dair is given a fresh bonus.
SDI+DI completely ruin any hope of landing either smash.

Considering also how limited Fox is in terms of approach (because its very direct), I don't see it working too often.

S-bair>Up-smash___20%>90% (At 70% you need to start dash up-smashing)
I can't seem to land this one, could you provide a video since perhaps my timing is off.
Drill>DJC>Shine>Up-smash
Same as above.

Now the main issue I believe isn't necessarily kill options per se, but the ease of landing those kill options over the course of the match.
Fox really cannot camp as he normally can and Air vs Air, Sonic will win.

I am too unsure about how well each character does against the other.
Certainly Fox has much more kill power and does have better kill options. (many of Sonic's can be DI'ed)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Only problem with your post is that. We don't have to use all of our hits on Dair.

I would like to see some SDI away from only one or two Dair hits.
The combo works.

Uzi should be able to provide vids. I think >.< He is the Fox tech guy.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Mr. Doom's SDI is pretty baller.

A full D-air should be DId if you're assuming both players know the match-up well (which you have to if you're trying to find a match-up ratio, and you should so you aren't surprised when someone does it in a real match). One or two hits might be possible to SDI but is much harder and probably not likely to pull off, so that still probably works. The only trouble with that is you're waiting a few more frames later to connect with the D-air, so if you're punishing lag or something it's harder to connect with.

It's like situations like when people don't DIing Diddy's Dash attack to avoid followups (there's no reason I should be able to DA>U-tilt at 90% but it happens anyway lol) or Marth not upBing out of our U-smash (it's so good in the match-up unless they know they can do that). Choosing not to do it or not knowing they can do it doesn't mean they can't.

just a warning

Robfox

Smash Lord
this is always a fun match up for Sonic I would say....
camp alot,
dont up tilt spam (for any character at that alot of Foxes tend to do that),
try to keep JJC to a minimum,
and use alot of aireals.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Now the main issue I believe isn't necessarily kill options per se, but the ease of landing those kill options over the course of the match.
Fox really cannot camp as he normally can and Air vs Air, Sonic will win.
This. This is exactly what I was trying to get at with the above post.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Only problem with your post is that. We don't have to use all of our hits on Dair.

I would like to see some SDI away from only one or two Dair hits.
The combo works.

Uzi should be able to provide vids. I think >.< He is the Fox tech guy.
*hits you*

It wouldn't matter unfortunately, because of SDI. I tested it repeatedly.
As long as you SDI it properly, you will ALWAYS powershield the Usmash.

One more thing, do not shield sonic's aerial Down B.
It will result in you being stuck due to shieldstun (I laughed too).

SAs I said, it isn't just having kill options that matter, but the ease in which you can get it.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
*hits you*

It wouldn't matter unfortunately, because of SDI. I tested it repeatedly.
As long as you SDI it properly, you will ALWAYS powershield the Usmash.

One more thing, do not shield sonic's aerial Down B.
It will result in you being stuck due to shieldstun (I laughed too).

SAs I said, it isn't just having kill options that matter, but the ease in which you can get it.
!
*PS's the hit*

Vid please on SDI. I'm just confused about it and would like to see it. I'll defiantly change what I said if you can.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I wish I could, I lost e stupid cable so I cant hook it up to my Dazzler AND the t.v. until I get a new one. -_-.

I fail...sorry...V_V

I'll have a replacement soon though.
I got a recording device. If you can get a replay, you can send it to me and I can upload it for you.

Wii Number: 5271 2263 9513 1686
Brawl Friend Code: 5284 3726 8980

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I got a recording device. If you can get a replay, you can send it to me and I can upload it for you.

Wii Number: 5271 2263 9513 1686
Brawl Friend Code: 5284 3726 8980
Sure, I'll try it out and see what happens.
It shouldn't be a problem.

Funny thing though, last time i used the debug code on a replay, and after I let the game return to normal speed, it decided to fast forward everything. It was AWESOME.

Edit:
@Iblis: You're the only one that cares.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Sure, I'll try it out and see what happens.
It shouldn't be a problem.

Funny thing though, last time i used the debug code on a replay, and after I let the game return to normal speed, it decided to fast forward everything. It was AWESOME.

Edit:
@Iblis: You're the only one that cares.
oh.

I don't have homebrew/hacks/whatever. Will I need it to see the replay?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
what, you can sdi dair to usmash now?
I thought it had been tested a million and has been proven to be a true combo at the right percents, are you sure your buffering the usmash shadowlink?

the only sdi I know of is sdi-ing the dair so you end up behind fox, in which case he can easily do a turnaround usmash which only takes 1 extra frame then normal I believe.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
what, you can sdi dair to usmash now?
I thought it had been tested a million and has been proven to be a true combo at the right percents, are you sure your buffering the usmash shadowlink?

the only sdi I know of is sdi-ing the dair so you end up behind fox, in which case he can easily do a turnaround usmash which only takes 1 extra frame then normal I believe.
I had tested it a million times, in fact when the whole thing came up it was I that had made note of it NOT being a true combo.

SDIing behind Fox is the BEST method.
Simply because the Usmash takes a longer time to hit.
SDIing away from Fox, in frontof him is possible and I have done it on many occasions against many Fox's.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
well yeah SDIing behind fox so that you get hit by the second part of usmash instead of the first gives you enough time to shield it sure, but like I said, fox can easily do a turn around usmash which is 1 frame slower (I think, dont quote me on that) and cant be shielded, its also very easy for the fox to react to you going behind them (as opposed to having to predict it)

SDIing in front sounds plasable but hard, and then theres always the option of hitting with less hits from the dair.

Top Bottom