• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #20: Sonic| Stage Discussion

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Yes yes we have, I gave a vid of gameplay and the list of how to punish all of Sonic's moves.

P.S. 4Biddin you are a random and should lurk more and don't act like you aren't talking down to everyone else as of right now you are an useless resource. Plain as that and I'm not agruing with you or you bad smash logic anymore. All you have done is derail this thread, try to critique my Fox with not any real advice, make false claims, and not only piss off the sonics, but other characters, and the Fox Boards. More importantly if the Fox Boards don't like you why post here. Also I would like to mention they are thinking about putting me on GA's Power Rankings, so how do I exactly not qualify as good? Please go on as you have no data or vids to back up any of your silly claims.

Oh wait here you go to almost forgot.

Welcome the Fox Boards, the furriest of them where we go pew pew and Usmash people into next tuesday.

If you need any help or getting around here or the rest of the Smashboards. Feel free to ask me or anyone else around the boards. Please place your info into the Fox Directory so we can keep up with you and your future with us, don't make new threads unless it is something really important, look and ask in the Q and A thread first, all Fox videos are in the Fox Archive and his frame data and combo/string info in Uzi's thread. These are all stickied so you can't miss them. We hope to see great things from you as a Fox main now.

EDIT: Here is the important stuff for people who are trying to learn.
I lurk the fox boards but i never post since there isnt much activity here but since I seen a new matchup thread I thought I would give my input since I believe my fox to be high level.

I don't want to have any beef with any of the other fox mains or anything like that I was just trying to give my opinion. My bad if it came off as a lil arrogant but then again I didnt start the personal attacks.

Anyways I will be posting more to try and help get these boards more active and help progress foxes meta game so maybe ppl will stop dropping their mains and moving to someone that has been called higher teir.

Fox takes alot of work to be good with but when you get there it is worth it.

I have already gave my input on the match up you can try it yourself when you get the chance or blow it off either way I know I will continue to progress my game with or without help and advice from other fox mains

Best Wishes to all fox mains! No beef lol

EDIT: Oh yea thanks Iblis good luck with the power ranking ladder. Its great to see other foxes getting out there and making noise. And im past all the beginner help threads lol. Actually if you have any questions for me feel free to ask I am more so here to help.

shikashake2

Smash Cadet
A few things to note:

- Fox should use lazers sparingly and with caution.
- I believe that fox's recovery is a bit unsafe here, fire fox has quite a bit of startup lag, and fox illusion has a bit of startup lag and low priority. Try to get creative so we don't predict you.
- Sonic should avoid using D-air and homing attack, they will be punished with U-smash. Foxes should watch for these oppritunities.
- if Sonic is chasing you with springjump and U-air, DO NOT use D-air. air dodge and fastfall away from Sonic or hover with reflector if you are high enough
-Sonic will not be simply running up to Fox and extanging blows with him. Look for chances to use lazers here.

Fox mains should not be telling Sonic mains how Sonic is best played, 4bidden

Did we ever finish the stage discussion?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
A few things to note:

- Fox should use lazers sparingly and with caution.
- I believe that fox's recovery is a bit unsafe here, fire fox has quite a bit of startup lag, and fox illusion has a bit of startup lag and low priority. Try to get creative so we don't predict you.
- Sonic should avoid using D-air and homing attack, they will be punished with U-smash. Foxes should watch for these oppritunities.
- if Sonic is chasing you with springjump and U-air, DO NOT use D-air. air dodge and fastfall away from Sonic or hover with reflector if you are high enough
-Sonic will not be simply running up to Fox and extanging blows with him. Look for chances to use lazers here.

Fox mains should not be telling Sonic mains how Sonic is best played, 4bidden

Did we ever finish the stage discussion?
I will bold things and I hope you noticed you contradicted yourself. I will throw your statement back at you. Sonic Mains should not be telling Fox mains how Fox is best played. Illision has invicibilty at the starting attack frames.
A better way to dodge the spring jump is to air jump then shinestall, to watch his movements and punish or return back to ground safely.

Guys stop this immediately otherwise I will start laying down the harsh law.

Talk about the Sonic matchup or this is being locked.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna jump in and say that in my opinion, sonic vs fox is even. Or maybe a slight advantage to either side because if the fox likes to spam lasers mid range the all the sonic has to do is spin shot to an aerial attack to cause some damage. Plus I believe that sonic can gimp fox sort of easily on certain stages by getting the fox trapped underneath with a B-air or maybe even a homing attack. It's not like fox's recovery move can curve like lucario's for example. Plus I'm not sure, but I think that some of Sonic's moves can hit fox through his fire fox charge up flames. Also sonic has the weight advantage...sorta. On the other hand, fox is stronger, faster (attack speed wise), and has that ridiculously nice up smash...plus a set up for it. His lasers add an advantage because sonic cannot reflect them, even though they don't make him flinch they can still do good damage because he shoots so fast. Plus his down smash is good for dealing with those sonic players that like to run behind people then grab them. I think they both have good recoveries, but Sonic's is better since he could use it to gimp and help follow up on attacks. Plus sonic can still use his aerials after recovering. But I would call this even, or maybe a slight advantage to fox.

EDIT: I just realized the title, sorry I didn't talk about stages lol :ohwell:

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna jump in and say that in my opinion, sonic vs fox is even. Or maybe a slight advantage to either side because if the fox likes to spam lasers mid range the all the sonic has to do is spin shot to an aerial attack to cause some damage. Plus I believe that sonic can gimp fox sort of easily on certain stages by getting the fox trapped underneath with a B-air or maybe even a homing attack. It's not like fox's recovery move can curve like lucario's for example. Plus I'm not sure, but I think that some of Sonic's moves can hit fox through his fire fox charge up flames. Also sonic has the weight advantage...sorta. On the other hand, fox is stronger, faster (attack speed wise), and has that ridiculously nice up smash...plus a set up for it. His lasers add an advantage because sonic cannot reflect them, even though they don't make him flinch they can still do good damage because he shoots so fast. Plus his down smash is good for dealing with those sonic players that like to run behind people then grab them. I think they both have good recoveries, but Sonic's is better since he could use it to gimp and help follow up on attacks. Plus sonic can still use his aerials after recovering. But I would call this even, or maybe a slight advantage to fox.

Sounds like a 55/45 nice write up

C.R.Z

Smash Lord

the bold is what i disagree with.it shouldnt even be considered in this match up because there is no match up where fox spams lazers. gimping should also not be considered to heavily as fox shouldnt be going off stage against sonic.

as for stages id say fox should go for lylat, battlefield, castle siege, pokemon stadium

sonic should go frigate, smashvile, final destination

Trillion

Smash Ace
as for stages id say fox should go for lylat, battlefield, castle siege, pokemon stadium

sonic should go frigate, smashvile, final destination

I'm done talking match ups overall, but as for stages, I agree with most of this.

I seem to do worse on BF and PS1 and better on SV and FD. Dunno about Lylat, Castle Siege or Frigate though, but I might try to test them and get back to ya. Of the two, I do worse on PS1 then on BF and I do better on FD then on SV.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Stage list looks good. Wow I think I can actually get this MU write-up very nicely.

EDIT: So everyone has this to look at again. Could you guys put your write-ups in this format and I will put everything together and this MU thread will have fulfilled it's purpose. Also please nothing crazy and after this MU is done we probably won't go over it again until we have finshed all the other characters.

Here is the format

KEY POINTS

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game:
Ground Game:
Approach:
Defense:
Camping Game:
Edge Game:
Surviving:
Killing:
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
* Possible Sonic Strikes
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Final Destination,Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Castle Siege, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
* Possible Sonic Bans
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Final Destination,Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
* Possible Sonic Counterpicks
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
oh dont take fox halberd, possibly ban it. fox is too good there. dunno how i forgot it :/

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
actually the part where your flying around on the part with teh small slopes actually affords you less space, for less accurate camping.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Are you guys sure this MU is 55-45? Sounds kinda outdated. I think it's 50-50. You guys should watch Megafox vs Espy. A really good Fox vs one of the best Sonic's.

Top Bottom