• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 9: KevinM is Attending - Framingham, MA - May 10, 2008 - SSBM+SSBB

If there's time after brawl+melee singles, what type of doubles would you want?

• Melee Doubles

Votes: 46 40.4%
  • Brawl Doubles

Votes: 68 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Guys, when you make a huge post, don't bundle it up in one gigantic paragraph. People don't even bother reading it. Space it out a few sentences per paragraph. Come on guys, space correctly. I thought you guys played Brawl.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Guys, when you make a huge post, don't bundle it up in one gigantic paragraph. People don't even bother reading it. Space it out a few sentences per paragraph. Come on guys, space correctly. I thought you guys played Brawl.
Best post of this topic.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
man I really hope i can go to this

eggm, swift, and I'm betting $5 zorro will make an appearance

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
I dont know who PDAWG is but if he play's figthing games he's got my respect, but he could be just some scrub who thinks he's the greatest . To the point however i understand where people who play Melee like it more because melee was more technical it allowed for different looking options when it came down to atacking, however since it lacked the RPS system that all figthers have it was never considered a figthing game byt the established figthing game community. It was slated in its own category, one of the most prominent examples is the fact that smashers dont play other games. People who play ST also play other games like CVS2,3S,MVC2,GG,KOF ect.

The reason for that is that all the games i mentioned have the same system wich is based around the Yomi Layer(http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_Yomi.htm, Please read Article)
The fact the melee did not have the same system ostrociazed it from the figthing game communty, not only that people who played melee did not play any other game because of the fact that the yomi of figthing games was unfamiliar to them .

That does not mean melee was a bad game Melee was a good strategic game but it was't a figther. EVO took a lot heat from top players because they decided to add Smash to their lineup in 2007. When EVO qualifiers started players saw that even thougth Melee was not a figthing game there was a lot of strategy to it and a lot of players just decided to accept the fact that Melee was in its own category.

Fast foward to brawl now the techskill that allowed setups is gone, the game's dominating tactic is projetile spamming and if you hit my shield i will punish your laggy tactic. For those of you who read the yomi layer article lets call this tactic counterA. Rigth now the only problem i see is that there is no obvious counterB,however as the metagame develops i see players finding another tactic that beats counterA, then players will find another tactic that beats counterB. We can call this counterC and then bam! Brawl will be a figthing game so just bear with the game for a while, if after sometime players can't find new counter to dominating tactics i will personally denounce Brawl as a bad game and play melee again.Until then Peace put *****s!!!

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Melee is infinitely more like a fighting game than brawl is. It has many similar core mechanics of fighting games like balance between offense and defense, hitstun, and combo's.

Banks

Smash Hero
If brawl has yomi layer then melee did too, PLUS a whole ****load more talent-requiring things

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if you guys think melee is sooooo much better, why dont you just play melee, and leave brawl alone, jsut go to melee tournys.... oh wait i already know, b/c there are none. well, in that case why dont you just make your own tourneys. this thread was supposed to be about the tournament, not which game was better, stop worrying about it and just play the game that they offer.

and for the record melee was a fighting game, no matter how untraditional it was. as proof of this fact i can say that i play every fighting game that was mentioned except for king of fighters, b/c that shiz was lame. but i was nationalal lvl in soul calibur, and semi-competitive in SF3S, CvS2, MvC2 and GG and seeing as most of my gaming was fighting game experience, i transfered very well to melee. melee was a fighting game, and even tho it was different, it still counted. and as such brawl is a fighting game as well

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Memphis, if we end up not getting a ride. We could possibly go by train. How close is Boston or Haverhill from your place?
very close. if you guys take the train id go grab you. boston or somewhere off the commuter rail there would probably be easy.

i live relatively close to the event

marth617

Smash Apprentice
wow lol i never seen so much hate for a game that is almost the same as the last ver. if anyone wanna play me i will be back at 3pm (i am not a newb player lol)

K-dêps

Smash Cadet
Is anyone even gonna be play Brawl at this?
It seems as though the vast majority is just gonna be playing Melee.

So Just to ask.
Who here is playing in the Brawl tourney?

Spife

Smash Master
I don't have the money to enter the brawl tourny D: otherwise I would (sorry 3x! Sorta...not really.. come to MM and money match me till I get the munnies :D)

@TML: we should do friendlies for sureskies cause I know your name from two forums, TWO FORUSM!!!!1! That's just how it works >.>

Edit: Do we need power strips? >.> I'm going to bring one or two (one's in my room, not doing anything, another is used for my aquarium... which is also not doing anything...)

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Wow this thread turned into a cluster**** REAL fast. Can't wait for the tourney to be one too... :( maybe.

Darc/Daz let me know if you get desperate for housing/rides/whatever... my place is on the subway too.

Cort

Apple Head
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people will be playing Brawl, and on top of it only a handful of people will be entering Melee

/guess

Spife

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people will be playing Brawl, and on top of it only a handful of people will be entering Melee

/guess
which sucks for numerous reasons :urg: Oh well, smaller tourny means more friendlies right?!?!

Skler

Smash Master
I'll give Darc and Dazwa a ride. It's sort of my thing, so all you *****es best back off!

Also, darc and daz you guys should bring a cube/wii to this shiz, since I'm not sure where my cube went. Oh how I miss my cube...

Edit: I missed the Melee vs Brawl thing!? I was really bad at tech skill in Melee and I like to think I placed pretty well. I miss l-cancels like it's nobody's business. In Brawl there's no l-cancel for me to miss and I don't do any better, so it's safe to say tech skill is not what makes a player in Melee.

Discuss.

Skler

Smash Master
Actually it was jump -> nair -> double jump -> nair -> spot dodge -> repeat. If I had a dollar for every time I did a sex kick I would be a rich man.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I'll give Darc and Dazwa a ride. It's sort of my thing, so all you *****es best back off!

Also, darc and daz you guys should bring a cube/wii to this shiz, since I'm not sure where my cube went. Oh how I miss my cube...

Edit: I missed the Melee vs Brawl thing!? I was really bad at tech skill in Melee and I like to think I placed pretty well. I miss l-cancels like it's nobody's business. In Brawl there's no l-cancel for me to miss and I don't do any better, so it's safe to say tech skill is not what makes a player in Melee.

Discuss.
Uhm, Daniel Jung aka IwishicanDJlikememphischains can l-cancel in bawrl.

ask him.

Spife

Smash Master
Actually it was jump -> nair -> double jump -> nair -> spot dodge -> repeat. If I had a dollar for every time I did a sex kick I would be a rich man.
QFT. Why do you go spot dodge after landing? I usually sneak a third nair in >__> and fail to l-cancel it...

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Uhm, Daniel Jung aka IwishicanDJlikememphischains can l-cancel in bawrl.

ask him.
DJ says you're a liar. Then again, he also told me he was 26 and then after I said "Really!?!" , he laughed, said no, and then said "Mindgames",

...so maybe he still can. Luckily l-canceling means nothing in a Happy Birthday match, which is all that really matters in a tournament.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I can Z cancel in brawl

No wait I mean 64
I vote for 64 doubles. takes way less skill than melee but more than brawl. **** it, its like play 64 the entire time.

Top Bottom