• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 11: Karaoke night - Framingham, MA - August 10th

nuro

Smash Lord
Let me see here... about 10 set ups for brawl, about 10 mins each set and around 126 matches to be played...

Just divide 126 by 10 and multiply by 10 mins to get 126 mins. Of course, that would mean matches are being started and reported instantaneously. So if we include say 40 extra minutes for human lag time that means its about 166 mins or 2.7 hours just for brawl singles.

If we compare this to melee by simply changing 10 minutes to 5 minutes (since brawl matches take avg 4 mins and melee 2 mins) we get about 1.7 hours total.

Ergo, SSBB tournaments take about 1 hour more than SSBM tournaments do with the same amount of people. And then we throw in brawl doubles and time becomes an issue.

I think tournaments should be doing the math out before hand and then take action depending on the circumstances. If there is a dearth of setups then we should consider changing the amount of stocks.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Personally, I support not changing the date. The selfish reason is that I wouldn't be able to attend if it were any later, and I don't feel like going to CT, so I'd prefer MM to be the 9th. The unselfish reason (relatively so) is that because most of the brawl players would be going to CT for Xesticle, MM11 would be all melee (IIRC, someone said this already). At MM10, we got kinda screwed over, when a couple of our TVs were taken for the brawl tournament, and we had 1 setup for the duration of brawl singles. Melee has been put on the back burner for a while, and this is really the only chance to get a good melee tournament at the venue without ticking off the brawl players who want their tournament.

Keeping things the way they are now appeases more people than it hurts, IMO. The melee players get a tourney, and the brawl players get their tourney, and everyone gets more space and more games. What's wrong with that?

I also haven't heard a strong argument for changing the date other than Matt being stubborn about changing the date. Would anyone care to enlighten me?
because some people like to play both Melee AND Brawl.

GASP

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Let me see here... about 10 set ups for brawl, about 10 mins each set and around 126 matches to be played...

Just divide 126 by 10 and multiply by 10 mins to get 126 mins. Of course, that would mean matches are being started and reported instantaneously. So if we include say 40 extra minutes for human lag time that means its about 166 mins or 2.7 hours just for brawl singles.

If we compare this to melee by simply changing 10 minutes to 5 minutes (since brawl matches take avg 4 mins and melee 2 mins) we get about 1.7 hours total.

Ergo, SSBB tournaments take about 1 hour more than SSBM tournaments do with the same amount of people. And then we throw in brawl doubles and time becomes an issue.

I think tournaments should be doing the math out before hand and then take action depending on the circumstances. If there is a dearth of setups then we should consider changing the amount of stocks.
...theres a post somewhere that a friend of mine showed me that expresses the time a tournament takes by 'n' as the number of participants and 'x' as the number of setups, to determine how long a tournament should take...I'm pretty sure it ended up being

... 30n/X + 10log2(n)

...regardless of this however, all of the previous MMs have proven that the tournaments can be run in the allotted time. I mean, I know I bring a set-up, and Obviously many others do, and I can see Dawa'a point, but I don't think that the Melee people should be set to the back-burner...it's their tournament too, and let's be honest, most of them don't like to play brawl AT ALL. If we designate a fixed number of Set-ups to the Melee people, that's the most fair way to handle things. If we have 70 people in a Brawl tournament, using the above equation, here's the timing for different #'s of setups

(if n=70) --> 2100/X + 21.5

X = 6 --> 6.2 hours
X = 7 --> 5.4 hours
X = 8 --> 4.7 hours

Overall at the tournament we have 12 hours of time, figure 2 for signups and random not going wellness , and another 1.5 for lunch and food and other silliness of time...about 8-9 hours of tournament time.

Obviously the more setups we have, the better, and if we run Melee Singles at the same time as Brawl singles, on their respective setups, I think a lot more friendlies could be played afterwards. There would be SOME crossover, but if we prioritize Melee matches over Brawl matches for a conflict in who is playing when...I think it could actually work well.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I like how the main arguements of most Melee players bringing half the set-ups was ignored.

Melee brought 6 set-ups count them six. Jaime provided I believe 3 was it? and there were three other ones for Brawl from various people.

Melee brought Half of the set-ups.. and we were reduced to 1 by the second hour. So let me get this straight. I drove multiple hours to get a TV taken away from me and then told "You play the worse game, so we need this TV" But wait when Melee singles happened there were still brawl set-ups going on so people were still waiting for matches. **** what this community has become.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I remember there being about an equal amount of Brawl and Melee setups while Melee singles were running. Sure, there were a fewer amount of participants, but was it really necessary to have half the setups for Brawl when there was only one setup for Melee during Brawl singles?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
No one ignored the comment Kevin, it was well taken. I'm really just trying to stress the importance of other people bringing setups. Obviously people appreciate the help and dedication of those that Brought set-ups, the tournament couldn't take place otherwise. And you're right, it's completely unfair that the setups were taken from Melee to be used in the Brawl Tournament...especially since at a certain point, it wasn't necessary.

This is something that needs to be more carefully attended to at the next MM (not MM11, since tis going to be all Melee, but MM12 more then likely.) Getting angry over past actions isn't going to help anything, but making sure that it doesn't happen again is definitely possible. I really hope that once Jamie gets those component cables, that the TVs can be played without "lag" (I don't know what people were talking about...I didn't really sense any...but I play Brawl, so what do I know about game speed... :-p )

@Variola --> While Melee Singles were running, Brawl Singles were also being finished as well as Brawl Doubles being run.

Like my numbers showed above. If we have the proper number of setups, Like 6 or 7 for Brawl, and 4 or so for Melee ...we could run both at the same time...I'm sure of it. Obviously, the Melee people did their job, I guess the Brawlers need to step it up and re-assure that people's set-ups are needed, without question...which comes down to communication and organization.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Anyways on to the Melee motha****in hype.

Arguing is gay lets stop it now.
Melee is goin on *****S and i'mma win this ****.

Money Matches?

Skler

Smash Master
I'll link ditto mm anyone who's going.

I'll also do other mms, but those need to be named/announced.

Roman consider your mm accepted.

KevinMM?

Lots of other people mm?

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Darc, we've never played and we look like the same person. This is a travesty that must be righted.
Skler, we've never played. We're fixing that. Link ditto? (Don't take my money plz)

I will save my $1's for this.

BTW, this is in TWO WEEKS! HypeHypeHype.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
quick question for people...

ganon or doc?

not who beats who
not who is smaller
not who can gimp with their cape
not who has a projectile

edit: my bday is next thursday.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Darc, we've never played and we look like the same person. This is a travesty that must be righted.
Skler, we've never played. We're fixing that. Link ditto? (Don't take my money plz)

I will save my $1's for this.

BTW, this is in TWO WEEKS! HypeHypeHype.
LOL My hair is huge nao, no glasses either. lolol D:

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
If people want to play Brawl, we'll have one setup for it in the corner.

*SHUN*

dudutsai

Smash Lord
ookay.... so anyone wanna do 25-50 cent money matches? I have not enough confidence in my skill to make it $1.........

But we can play multiple sets.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Variola... we didn't play last time. We must play this time

......You better not give up Melee for Brawl. O_o

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Variola... we didn't play last time. We must play this time

......You better not give up Melee for Brawl. O_o
We didn't? Who's your main?

I won't give up Melee for Brawl, but I might just give up Smash because I'm bad at it. :(

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Did you know I'm Chinese?
Made me LOL

I'll link ditto mm anyone who's going.

I'll also do other mms, but those need to be named/announced.

Roman consider your mm accepted.

KevinMM?

Lots of other people mm?
Done :D can we take this seriously is the real question

kevinm: $1 MM?
threex: $1 MM?
skler: $1 MM?
spife: $1 MM?
mattdotonedollamoonaymatch: $1 MM?

anyone else?
Accepted

I'll MM you Roman. Anyone want to MM my rusty ass?
You don't have to warm up with Jiggs you just float in circles. I'd be down though

If people want to play Brawl, we'll have one setup for it in the corner.

*SHUN*
I literally laughed out loud.

Roman.

Smash Champion
just drop brawl altogether its so last year

melee is old enough to be vintage
Wow that made me smile <3 banks

So who agrees we have a lot of time on our hands for this tourney, singles and doubles will take like 4-5 hours and then we have lots of time, but what to use it for?!

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
We could actually do crews for once. We could also use the time to come up with an evil scheme to take over the world.

Or we could all go to one restaurant for dinner. I'll try to find an actual chinese buffet in the area so we don't go hunting for nothing like last time.

Top Bottom