• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 11: Karaoke night - Framingham, MA - August 10th

ThreeX

Smash Lord
hey let me just throw in that I'd like to drive to the next mass madness, but I probly couldn't if it's on the same day as esticle, because no one would come with me because the rest of maine is more about brawl. If anyone cares about my old-tyme melee booty, that is.

=/

i care about your old-tyme melee booty <3 so, get yo *** here. Or i'll be sad, because you and your brother have missed not one.. but TWO MM's... i'm angry.

Banks

Smash Hero
i know, it's basically a travesty

i do love how MM runs melee events still tho, so I'd definitely make an attempt to come

ThreeX

Smash Lord
^ wrong answer, you WILL come :D I'll just learn how to teleport, go to maine.. then teleport back to GU with you and your brother

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
once again ill be there :D and this time i will bring setups. cause the last time ppl were asking for copys of melee and etc.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
dazwa that is funneh
Matt you're being ridiculous, why are you so unwilling to even ENTERTAIN the idea of rescheduling?

Does it really even matter to you?...have you asked Game Universe if they would mind? Have you explained it to them?...WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO?

...I bet you that I can make a call to Game Universe today and have you reschedule for a time where half of the east Coast won't be pissed off at you. You're being unreasonable about the situation. If Cort has one time rescheduled his event for MM , MM should have the decency to reschedule for Cort... EVEN IF WE HAD THE DAY FIRST.

If you want, I'll make the call to Game Universe and explain the situation to that and ask them if they could change the date for us. it's worth a shot at least, and I think that all parties involved here deserve at least hat much effort put into their requests for a change of date.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Can you post an average turnout for these? I'll go if it's any good.

Edit: If I do go, I'll bring my wii.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Cobra, I think your behind agian
Oh? What happened? I read all the pages...did I miss something actually relevant?

Edit :

I fail apparently at reading. ...but still, why make it Melee only, when you could just say...move it to next week. Then we could have 2 big Brawl tournaments...

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Matt you're being ridiculous, why are you so unwilling to even ENTERTAIN the idea of rescheduling?

Does it really even matter to you?...have you asked Game Universe if they would mind? Have you explained it to them?...WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO?

...I bet you that I can make a call to Game Universe today and have you reschedule for a time where half of the east Coast won't be pissed off at you. You're being unreasonable about the situation. If Cort has one time rescheduled his event for MM , MM should have the decency to reschedule for Cort... EVEN IF WE HAD THE DAY FIRST.

If you want, I'll make the call to Game Universe and explain the situation to that and ask them if they could change the date for us. it's worth a shot at least, and I think that all parties involved here deserve at least hat much effort put into their requests for a change of date.
He rescheduled for Maine.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
You said he rescheduled for a MM. In reality he rescheduled for something in Maine.
...regardless Matt, if it can be avoided for the same day as Xesticle, it should be, as it would be better for all interests involved. There's nothing to lose by having the event on another day, I really don't understand why it cannot be ATTEMPTED to move the Mass Madness event to a following week.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
...regardless Matt, if it can be avoided for the same day as Xesticle, it should be, as it would be better for all interests involved. There's nothing to lose by having the event on another day, I really don't understand why it cannot be ATTEMPTED to move the Mass Madness event to a following week.
Because so many people are divided over this. I don't want to change, this is the original schedule date. I don't know I just don't wanna cuz either way people gonna be pissed.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Because so many people are divided over this. I don't want to change, this is the original schedule date. I don't know I just don't wanna cuz either way people gonna be pissed.
...the people who are divided over this are only divided because its a CHOICE between this or Xesticle. If there wasn't a choice to be made, and XEsticle was on August 9th , and MM11 was on August 16th...who would complain?

Are there 20+ people saying that they can't come the week after? Or is it just that people are choosing sides and sticking to them because there is no other option?

Who has actually said to you that they WANT MM11 on the 9th, rather then a week later?...or would everyone be equally as happy with MM11 being on the 16th?

I really don't think many people would be pissed about you moving the day to the 16th. And even if some are, I bet you FEWER people will be pissed that it IS on the 16th, then there would be people pissed if it were on the 9th...especially if it means that they can attend both MM11 and Xesticle without worries.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
people are divided over it because they are on the same date... so the reason you're not solving the problem is because there IS a problem? that's like ****ing for abstinence.

just leave your ego behind and change the date.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Personally, I support not changing the date. The selfish reason is that I wouldn't be able to attend if it were any later, and I don't feel like going to CT, so I'd prefer MM to be the 9th. The unselfish reason (relatively so) is that because most of the brawl players would be going to CT for Xesticle, MM11 would be all melee (IIRC, someone said this already). At MM10, we got kinda screwed over, when a couple of our TVs were taken for the brawl tournament, and we had 1 setup for the duration of brawl singles. Melee has been put on the back burner for a while, and this is really the only chance to get a good melee tournament at the venue without ticking off the brawl players who want their tournament.

Keeping things the way they are now appeases more people than it hurts, IMO. The melee players get a tourney, and the brawl players get their tourney, and everyone gets more space and more games. What's wrong with that?

I also haven't heard a strong argument for changing the date other than Matt being stubborn about changing the date. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I also haven't heard a strong argument for changing the date other than Matt being stubborn about changing the date. Would anyone care to enlighten me?
Sure I'll give you a strong argument.

If MM was moved to August 16th , and XEsticle is kept to be August 9th...

then we get to have two big tournaments on two different weekends and no fight over participants.

If it's not changed, we have 2 tournaments on one weekend, and a large amount of fighting over participants.

....at MM10 , there were 76 participants for Brawl Singles , and 23 for Melee Singles

...at MM9 , there were 99 participants for Brawl singles, and 34 for Melee Singles

If we hold MM11 as a Melee Only tournament on the same weekend as Xesticle, it appeases roughly 35 people who want to play Melee... and the 75 people who like Brawl, are screwed. (-75)

...If its a Brawl tournament on the same weekend of Xesticle, it appeases 30 people who play melee and about 35 people will be going to Xesticle rather then MM , that makes 30 people or so that miss out on Mass Madness. (-35 and lower attendance for both tournaments = lower prize payouts)

If you have brawl at MM on a DIFFERENT weekend then Xesticle, then no one is disappointed.

Not having enough Melee setups is a hardware problem that is easily fixed by people bringing MORE setups, and the tournament organizer promising that there will be a certain number of Melee and brawl setups at any one given time which should be about a 1/3 ratio of brawl Setups...regardless of tournaments in progress.

nuro

Smash Lord
This is going to sound cliche but "Can't we all just get along?"

I think Jamie made a perfect choice by having a melee only tournament on Sunday to compensate for changing the date. Why don't we just all listen to what Jamie has to say since it is ultimately his tournament. ;)

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I called Jamie after Trap clued me in to who he was, just to get a straight answer from someone and now it's all clear to me.

Essentially, without posting details, since Jamie wishes to make the official announcement himself, there are multiple other tournaments scheduled for other games around the week of Mass Madness 11, which makes it clear that the scheduling would be too difficult to work out a change of date to next Saturday.

....so that's all i needed to hear. Jamie said that he will make the official announcement of what is going on in a bit (he said 30 minutes from now, so by like 9:45-10:00 eastern time)

[Sorry if my earlier posts caused too much trouble, but no one was giving me the information I needed to understand the situation. It makes sense now though, so I'll drop it. ]

@ Matt - Sorry for the trouble. I'm going to post the tournament for Mass Madness 11 on Allisbrawl, see if I can spread the word and get you a few more people, but I'll wait till Jamie gives the official information before posting anything specific.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Personally, I support not changing the date. The selfish reason is that I wouldn't be able to attend if it were any later, and I don't feel like going to CT, so I'd prefer MM to be the 9th. The unselfish reason (relatively so) is that because most of the brawl players would be going to CT for Xesticle, MM11 would be all melee (IIRC, someone said this already). At MM10, we got kinda screwed over, when a couple of our TVs were taken for the brawl tournament, and we had 1 setup for the duration of brawl singles. Melee has been put on the back burner for a while, and this is really the only chance to get a good melee tournament at the venue without ticking off the brawl players who want their tournament.

Keeping things the way they are now appeases more people than it hurts, IMO. The melee players get a tourney, and the brawl players get their tourney, and everyone gets more space and more games. What's wrong with that?

Just for the record, that's the way things should be. The minority shouldn't be using the majority of resources. The only reason these things have a lot of attendees right now is becaue there is Brawl singles and doubles. Melee will likely not bring over 40 ppl to an event in this area ever again, sad but true. It makes no sense to cater to the smaller group of people which is why there should never be more than just one or two tv's set aside during brawl. It makes no sense at all.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Just for the record, that's the way things should be. The minority shouldn't be using the majority of resources. The only reason these things have a lot of attendees right now is becaue there is Brawl singles and doubles. Melee will likely not bring over 40 ppl to an event in this area ever again, sad but true. It makes no sense to cater to the smaller group of people which is why there should never be more than just one or two tv's set aside during brawl. It makes no sense at all.
...to be fair however, If the Melee crews represent 1/3 of the total group, there should be more then one TV for their use. If there are a total of 12 TVs, and there are 20 melee players and 60 or so Brawl players, with 10 crossover between them, the brawl group is 2.5x the size of the melee group, and as such should have double the resources. (Im sure that math is wrong somehow, but someone will have to correct me)

It's the only fair way to represent both groups. I don't have enough tournament experience to say how quickly a 70 person brawl tournament would take...probably about 6 hours or more...but i think it's important that the melee people be given their fair share of TVs. one, is clearly not enough...it needs to be equal based on attendance.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
It all depends on set-ups when determining the time a tournament will run. Let's just say it was 64 ppl for brawl (so we don't have to put them into 128-man bracket) and we have 10 set-ups. Average match length being 5-mins and assuming all sets go to third game. That's 15mins per set and 10 sets at a time. In a 64-man bracket there is 62 sets in winners and maybe 70 in loser's (did the math in my head and only estimated so might be off somewhat) so that would be 132 total sets at 15mins per. Now if we can run 10 sets at a time that's 40 sets per hour so under worst-case-scenario conditions it could be done in 4-hours max under optimum efficiency.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Regardless of how brawl singles would take, melee needs more than one setup. I agree that catering to the minority OVER the majority is foolish, but ignoring the minority altogether is just as bad, if not worse. Melee players should be able to play just as much as brawl players, so setups should be distributed proportional to the ratio of brawl :: melee players, as cobra suggested.

And cobra, what says the 75 brawl players that would have gone to MM11 if it was at a different date wouldn't go to Esticle? I had sorta figured most brawl players were ditching MM11 for it anyways, so having an all-melee tournament wouldn't be a problem, nor would the scheduling conflict.

Anyways, this whole argument is sorta moot at this point, since MM11 will be on the 9th, and will be all melee.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Alright, so I called Jamie after Trap clued me in to who he was, just to get a straight answer from someone and now it's all clear to me.

Essentially, without posting details, since Jamie wishes to make the official announcement himself, there are multiple other tournaments scheduled for other games around the week of Mass Madness 11, which makes it clear that the scheduling would be too difficult to work out a change of date to next Saturday.

....so that's all i needed to hear. Jamie said that he will make the official announcement of what is going on in a bit (he said 30 minutes from now, so by like 9:45-10:00 eastern time)

[Sorry if my earlier posts caused too much trouble, but no one was giving me the information I needed to understand the situation. It makes sense now though, so I'll drop it. ]

@ Matt - Sorry for the trouble. I'm going to post the tournament for Mass Madness 11 on Allisbrawl, see if I can spread the word and get you a few more people, but I'll wait till Jamie gives the official information before posting anything specific.
I had posted already that the tournament could not be rescheduled due to the fact of other tournaments around the date of MM11. I mentioned it only once though, suppose I should have posted about it again.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I had posted already that the tournament could not be rescheduled due to the fact of other tournaments around the date of MM11. I mentioned it only once though, suppose I should have posted about it again.
yes, it would have been a quite solid and sound "in defense of matthew dot wehttam" post to repeat.

...to be fair however, If the Melee crews represent 1/3 of the total group, there should be more then one TV for their use. If there are a total of 12 TVs, and there are 20 melee players and 60 or so Brawl players, with 10 crossover between them, the brawl group is 2.5x the size of the melee group, and as such should have double the resources. (Im sure that math is wrong somehow, but someone will have to correct me)

It's the only fair way to represent both groups. I don't have enough tournament experience to say how quickly a 70 person brawl tournament would take...probably about 6 hours or more...but i think it's important that the melee people be given their fair share of TVs. one, is clearly not enough...it needs to be equal based on attendance.
to be honest, in addition to proportionate division of set-ups between the two games, I'd also favor the game that currently has a tournament in progress. I'm not sure if I'd cut the other game (in this case, melee) to a sole set-up, but 2 certainly isn't out of the question...

Skler

Smash Master
I feel like I should mention that Melee players bring a hell of a lot of setups. I always bring one, Spife brings a ****ton and other Melee players bring setups. Melee players provide like, half the setups. It's a bit unfair to give them so little when they contribute so much. Melee was down to one setup for a long time during the Brawl tournament, even though Melee players brought about 6 setups. That's not right, especially because speeding up the tournament didn't help Melee players at all, it only helped the Brawl players. That's actually total bull****.

Why should I bother bringing a setup when it'll just be taken from me? I'm surprised you guys dared to ask Spife to use his setup for Brawl when there were only two Melee TVs. He was nice enough to let you use it, but there's never a reason to do that. If he brings **** you should be glad you're even getting one setup.

Edit: It totally isn't sunday. Awesome!

Spife

Smash Master
I feel like I should mention that Melee players bring a hell of a lot of setups. I always bring one, Spife brings a ****ton and other Melee players bring setups. Melee players provide like, half the setups. It's a bit unfair to give them so little when they contribute so much. Melee was down to one setup for a long time during the Brawl tournament, even though Melee players brought about 6 setups. That's not right, especially because speeding up the tournament didn't help Melee players at all, it only helped the Brawl players. That's actually total bull****.

Why should I bother bringing a setup when it'll just be taken from me? I'm surprised you guys dared to ask Spife to use his setup for Brawl when there were only two Melee TVs. He was nice enough to let you use it, but there's never a reason to do that. If he brings **** you should be glad you're even getting one setup.
This. I try and bring as many set ups as possible ever since my first MM (7 I believe) where, as much as I loved that tourny, I realized that there weren't as many friendlies compared to the last tourny I attended.

Since then, I realized more set ups=more matches. It's unfortunate that they were "needed" for brawl. I mean, they are my set ups but I'm not going to just hoard them all. For the future it would be nice to designate so many melee set ups. I don't care which ones get used for what, but I don't really feel like bringing 3+ and have the majority of them used for something I didn't come to the event for. Call me selfish, or call me the guy who brings a ****ton of set ups. It's your call (with Lin Doyell(sp?))

Roman.

Smash Champion
I just want to comment on this (touchy) subject and say that I understand that brawl will go by quicker with more setups but that rule should only be in effect when melee is satisfied (considering, as skler said, melee players bring half of the setups).

Honestly if this is a reoccurring problem and I'm sitting there for 5 hours watching one melee TV, i might stop coming because it's almost not worth it.

Although brawl may have more of a turnout, melee players are the ones coming to every MM and supporting every single one with setups and cleaning up after ourselves. Not only does spife bring a million setups but he brings like 3 power strips too which are extremely important. Basically all the melee players and like 1/3 or so of the brawl players are always showing up to MM and those are the players that should be treated with gratitude.

Top Bottom