• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel vs Capcom 4: Regenesis

What should the aesthetic of this new MvC be like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Dang, I haven't heard of this thread up until now. Interested to see how this one plays out.

Marvel
1. The Raft
2.Helicarrier
3. New Avengers Center

Capcom
1.Volcanic Rim
2. Eliza's Birthday Yacht
3.Air Force Base

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We will be continuing forward and will be voting on the stages to appear in our MvC4. Please vote for your top three the following entries. We will be using Ranked Voting as before so please keep that your first choice gets more points.

MARVEL
Helicarrier Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
Chronopolis Megadoomer Megadoomer
Sokovia Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
New Avengers Center Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
Titan @PeridotGX
Golden Gate Bridge cashregister9 cashregister9
The Raft Schnee117 Schnee117

Capcom
Beijing
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
Air Force Base Megadoomer Megadoomer
Taiping Road Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
Eliza’s Birthday Yacht Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
Lair of the Four Kings dezeray112 dezeray112
Kanzuki Estate cashregister9 cashregister9
Volcanic Rim Schnee117 Schnee117
Marvel:
1. New Avengers Center (btw the link to that one is wrong) - the ultimate fanservice, at least for the movies; you can pretty much condense every locale visited in Endgame (and there's a lot of them) in this stage.
2. Sokovia - another cool setpiece from the movies, and also the ideal home stage for Wanda
3. Helicarrier - it's an iconic location from the comics so it should probably be in

Capcom:
1. Lair of the Four Kings
2. Eliza's Birthday Yacht
3. Beijing

Not much reasoning for these, I just like their designs. With Beijing, I thought it would be very in character for MvC to go with an unexpected but visually interesting alternative to the iconic choice.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I don't really have an opinion on the Marvel side, but for Capcom:
1. Eliza's Birthday Yacht
2. Beijing
3. Volcanic Rim

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well, this was an interesting round...

MARVEL
Helicarrier Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 23
Chronopolis Megadoomer Megadoomer 4
Sokovia Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule 13
New Avengers Center Commander_Alph Commander_Alph 9
Titan @PeridotGX8
Golden Gate Bridge cashregister9 cashregister9
The Raft Schnee117 Schnee117 16

Capcom
Beijing
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 16
Air Force Base
Megadoomer Megadoomer 12
Taiping Road Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule 3
Eliza’s Birthday Yacht Commander_Alph Commander_Alph 18
Lair of the Four Kings dezeray112 dezeray112 17
Kanzuki Estate cashregister9 cashregister9 7
Volcanic Rim Schnee117 Schnee117 7

Helicarrier and Eliza’s Birthday Yacht will be joining our merry band of stages! I’m quite tickled with the Capcom one in particular and it seems many of you were as well.

So, we will be adding one more stage but this one will be from Capcom. We will be adding a Resident Evil stage later but, for now I want to focus on a new IP coming to the game.

Job #8: Submit a Power Stone stage

As always, please specify how the stage would look, any cameos that would appear, and why this stage deserves to represent Power Stone.

Once we finish this job and choose the winning submission, we will proceed with adding a new mechanic and deciding on the name.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Job #8 - Now this one is very interesting as its been quite a long while since Power Stone came out.

But if I were to pick a stage, I would opt for the Chaos Area. This was the final stage within the arcade mode of Power Stone 2 where the players face off against Dr. Erode, a gigantic monster who has a gigantic power stone and ruler of the flying castle which trapped the playable characters as they must defeat him to escape. I could see them utilse Dr. Erode in the background watching the characters fight in his pleasure and as for cameos, well maybe include some of the Power Stone characters trapped in cages?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Nightcrawler Special Moves

1. Teleport - What it says on the tin, Nightcrawler will teleport in a puff of smoke that lingers and deals minor damage with no knockback, a heavy button will make it a more volatile puff of smoke that interrupts the opponent's actions. Nightcrawler can instantly act out of this but can't immediately teleport again without a Bamf

2. Bamfs - Bamfs are basically mini Nightcrawlers and they can enhance his teleport abilities and even help him teleport other people and objects. A regular input puts the Bamfs on Nightcrawler to enhance his teleport in that he can teleport again, a heavy input puts them on the foe and will teleport them into a close range restand position for Nightcrawler to combo them. The Bamfs can only take two hits before disappearing so they can't just be abused, they also disappear after a while if not used.

3. Nerve Pinch - Nightcrawler attacks the foe's pressure points such that they are temporarily stunned, a heavier input causes the foe to crumple to allow for bigger setups.

4. Sword Dance - Nightcrawler twirls forwards slashing at his foes, a heavy input reaches further and has an additional attack, a good reversal tool and combo ender.

5. Teleport Acrobatics - Nightcrawler uses his teleports to attack his foes mixing in acrobatic moves, this has a multitude of follow ups including a launcher. It can also be entered during the air where the launcher is instead a hard knockdown.

6. Backflip - Nightcrawler simply does a backflip to launch his foe into the air, it can hit two times on launch due to his tail

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will be closing Nightcrawler moveset submissions shortly and then proceed forward with the Capcom reps.

Power Stone stage submissions will remain open for 12 more hours.

We will be going with 3v3 and 2v2 in two modes called “Legacy Mode” abd “Infinite Mode”. These can be selected much like how Rukescare first selected in Ultimate.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Power Stone Stage: Blue Sky Area

First appearing in Power Stone 2, it’s the assumed home stage for Edward. This is fought on top of an airship that flies throughout the blue skies hence the name. This stage could be quite interesting as it travels along in the sky with various aesthetics and items found in Power Stone appearing here. In addition, cameos could include from the Power Stone series such as Ayane, Wang-Tang, and Gunlock. We could even have crossover appearances such as Rathalos, Storm Eagle, and Nina.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In order to my clash with the Infinite thread and the moveset phase involving Jill, we will be skipping Leon and focusing on Edward Falcon.

Edward Falcon is a boxing pilot from Power Stone who has the ability to transform into a hard-punching super hero-looking fighter. I don’t know the series too well so I’m sorry if I couldn’t provide much details but please check out his character page on the Power Stone wikia as well as the Capcom Database wiki.

Job #8: Please submit a set of Special Moves and Hyper Combos tor Edward Falcon
As always, please include either a set of Special Moves (4 to 7) or three Hyper Combos. Please make sure to include his transformation mechanic in some way. If we have only one submission, then that submission wins by default.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Excuse the triple post or, if a mod wants, they can merge it

Please vote for the Power Stone representative stage. This is actually on record of being the least submitted job in the thread but perhaps it will help it go smoother. Please vote for one of the following:

Chaos Area dezeray112 dezeray112
Blue Sky Area Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Blue Sky Arena

Also, just a little nitpick, can you scale down Leon's artwork on the first page? Not only it's taking up too much space but it's not pleasant to look at due to, well that aggravating mess of a white outline and it doesn't really look good for poor old Edward who only has a half body image (not to be rude).

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ah ****, I was gonna do a last-minute submission

Anyway, I'm voting for Blue Sky Area, feels like it's got more to do with Edward

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For the Power Stone stage, I vote Blue Sky Arena - it seems to have closer ties to Edward.

Job #8: For Edward's Hyper Combos (I haven't played Power Stone, but I'll base it on this video), all of them will have him transform into his armoured form as he uses them.

Power Hurricane (level 1): Edward does a spinning uppercut as a tornado of fire appears around him. Much like Ken's Shinryuken in Marvel vs. Capcom and Smash, the fire is exaggerated here compared to the source material, covering the whole screen vertically. (but a similar range horizontally, so it works better as an anti-air)

Power Explosion (level 1): charging up and letting out a yell, Edward crosses his arms over his chest and launches at least a dozen missiles from his back, which fly ahead of Edward at varying heights before exploding.

Power Rocket (level 3): Edward dashes forward with a yellow aura surrounding him. If he connects, he repeatedly dashes into the opponent, knocking them higher and higher into the air. His last dash leaves him above the opponent, and holding his hands over his head, he shouts "You're finished!" before flinging his hands downward and launching a large missile at the opponent. The missile blows up as it hits them, and Edward lands as his armour vanishes, ending the combo.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’m voting for Blue Sky Area, like everyone else so far lol.

Also, quick question, what’s the maximum amount of characters and stages we were planning on including?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While I hate calling votes early, it’s apparent that Blue Sky Arena won by default so we will be utilizing that for Edward’s home stage

Time for our next job...

Job #9: Submit a new gameplay mechanic

Along with our reveal trailer, showcasing a brand-new gameplay mechanic seems like an appropriate time. This gameplay mechanic can be something entirely new or based on a pre-existing mechanic in other fighting games. Adding a fourth Hyper Combo is currently not eligible for submission. Please try to keep the submissions realistic.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does there need to be a new gameplay mechanic? It seems like the theme we're going for is "a return to form" (3v3, bringing back the series that Fox had the movie rights to, etc.), at least so far, so I'd think that Legacy Mode and Infinite Mode, along with combining MvC3's gameplay with what worked in MvC Infinite (I haven't played MvC Infinite, and I'm not much of a competitive fighting game enthusiast, but the Active Switch system seems to be getting praise - not sure how it differs from Assists, or if it's possible for the two to coexist), would be enough.

Then again, like I said, I haven't played Infinite, so I'm not sure if its mechanics could coexist with MvC3's. I'm not one for getting into the nitty-gritty of gameplay and mechanics, even for something like Smash. (I'm super-casual when it comes to this sort of thing)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would like it if we had a new mechanic to add because it feels like that's a thing all fighting games do no matter how much the formula works. But I'm definitely not a mechanics guy, and clearly nobody's had an idea they're confident in, so...

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have a feeling not so many are interested in doing mechanics so let’s shelf that one for now. Perhaps we can just keep the project limited to characters, stages, and modes.

Let’s move onto the next job...

Job #10: Submit a Title for Marvel vs Capcom 4

Previously, before Infinite, MvC had a title to go along with it. This includes the first game, Clash of Super Heroes and the second game being New Age of Heroes. After a long absence, the third game was titled Fate of Two Worlds. Infinite broke the mold tilts wise but I think, considering we are back to the MvC roots, it makes sense to have a working title for MvC4.

Pleaze submit a title using the “Marvel vs Capcom4: [Insert Title]” format.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Job #10

Marvel vs. Capcom 4: War of Dual Realities

I think the name of the game would depend on what the story mode is about, but sans that, all we have to go on is sounding cool. I wanted to use War in the title as it's what Marvel uses for many of their big crossover storylines (Secret Wars, Civil War, Infinity War, etc) like DC uses Crisis. The rest was just keeping with the "X of Y" formula.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Job #1: Submit a Marvel Newcomer and a Capcom Newcomer

With our project underway, we need to begin adding our characters to the roster. With E3 more or less around the corner, it’s time to show them what we are bringing to fans. We will be submitting a Marvel character and a Capcom character so two total. There are some slight requirements for these characters:

1) The characters must be moderately popular
2) This popularity must be of the level that fans get hyped by seeing their inclusion

When submitting, please provide the following information:

1) The name of the character and which franchise they belong in
2) Why they deserve to be added into the game
3) What type of charqcter would they be and what would their moveset look like? Simple descriptions are fine. We will fine tune the special moves later.
I know I'm super late to this but I just couldn't help myself...

Marvel

Thena - Eternals

Marvel Studios is going to try to release Eternals for this year. It was supposed to release last year but COVID-19 happened. For the uninitiated, the Eternals race are select early-humanity who were genetically experimented upon by the Celestials. The Eternals purpose is to protect planet Earth as cosmic angels and to manage the Deviant threat, the Deviants another select early-humanity who became devilish and deformed in both appearance and purpose.

Now that I got the Marvel history lesson out of the way, it's time to explain why Thena is a necessary character for the next Marvel vs. Capcom entry. Thena has the ability to conjure any weapon she desires with her cosmic power, imagine her as a mix between Byleth in Super Smash Bros with the combat expertise of Wonder Woman, that's Thena. Because the Eternals are a race of beings instead of your usual superhero team, some may question why Ikaris or Sersi were not considered for the spot to which I say that Thena's powerset is the most compatible yet different enough out of all of the Eternals.

Capcom

Katt - Breath of Fire II

I'll be honest, I don't even know this character personally because I have not played Breath of Fire II nor have I seen any playthroughs of it. That being said, Katt would make for the perfect replacement for Felicia from Darkstalkers. Felicia as a character is too visually scandalous for current Marvel Games which is why she was absent in Infinite. Of course, Katt is not Felicia so her moveset would be different enough to reflect that, however, her status as a Breath of Fire character does immediately give her more value for Capcom representation since we already have Darkstalkers representation with other characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job #10:

Marvel vs. Capcom 4: Regenesis

Given the focus on X-Men (three of the five Marvel characters so far have ties to them), I wanted to include a subtitle based on an X-Men storyline. However, since we're likely going to be getting other characters who were kept out due to petty licensing disagreements, like the Fantastic Four and/or characters related to them, I didn't want to go with something like "Rise of the Mutants"

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m still continuing this project but narrowing down the focus from creating an entirely conceptual game to only focusing on three key factors:
  • Characters
  • Stages
  • Story

I feel these are the most important and popular for people. Instead of building a game, we will be building particular facets of the game. In addition, moveset submissions won’t be time-sensitive. If you see a character does not have a set of Specials or Hyper Combos; you can freely submit them. If someone wants to contest them with their own submission, we can do so and hold a voting period for them.

So we will be voting for the subtitle for Marvel vs Capcom 4. We have three total plus one I am adding that will act as a submission. Please vote for your most favorite one. You May vote for your own.

War of Dual Realities GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
Return of Heroes Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
Regenisis Megadoomer Megadoomer
Battles for Reunification Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I’m still continuing this project but narrowing down the focus from creating an entirely conceptual game to only focusing on three key factors:
  • Characters
  • Stages
  • Story

I feel these are the most important and popular for people. Instead of building a game, we will be building particular facets of the game. In addition, moveset submissions won’t be time-sensitive. If you see a character does not have a set of Specials or Hyper Combos; you can freely submit them. If someone wants to contest them with their own submission, we can do so and hold a voting period for them.

So we will be voting for the subtitle for Marvel vs Capcom 4. We have three total plus one I am adding that will act as a submission. Please vote for your most favorite one. You May vote for your own.
What are your thoughts on my character's?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
  • Characters
  • Stages
  • Story

I'll vote for "Return of Heroes".

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What are your thoughts on my character's?
They are good ideas but we can’t include them at this time as we are not currently taking submissions. The project runs on a submit-vote system where, upon announcement of a job, people submit content that pertains to the theme of the job. Once a day has passed, we will then compile the submissions and then vote on them. Late submissions can’t be accepted. In addition, while ideas like yours are always welcomed, they can’t be included outside of a character submission period.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job #11: Submit a returning Marvel Character that appeared only in MvC1 or MvC2

Adding new characters is always fun but let’s add a veteran who missed their chance to be included in MvC3 ad MvCI. This job is being limited only to Marvel characters, not Capcom characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job #11: Cable

The time-traveling son of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey, Cable's personal history is WAY too complicated to get into here. (to sum it up, he was sent to the future as a baby to cure him of a virus, and then traveled back in time as an adult to stop Apocalypse) Possessing telepathy, telekinesis, and a techno-organic virus, Cable is pretty much the epitome of 90's comic book character design - he's got a massive gun, is covered in pouches, and is far more pragmatic/cynical than the idealistic Professor Xavier. (being described by his creator, Rob Liefeld, as "a man of action")

Infamous in Marvel vs. Capcom for his Hyper Viper Beam, Cable recently made an appearance in Deadpool 2 where he was played by Josh Brolin. The character is well known for his team-ups with Deadpool, playing the straight man to Deadpool's zany antics, though the two of them have never been in Marvel vs. Capcom at the same time. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 already gives him a moveset to work with, but if it needs to be expanded on, his appearance in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 could provide more material. This respect thread might also help if more is needed.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My vote is for Regenesis

----------------------------------------

Job 11

Psylocke

Elizabeth "Betsy" Braddock or Psylocke (or if we are going by the most recent comics Captain Britain) is a mutant and a member of the X-men. Psylocke has many powers related to telekinesis, she can fly shoot blasts, astral project etc. She can also summon various telekinetic weapons like a sword or crossbow and she is also a skilled martial artist and has some skills with a sword.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Characters
  • Stages
  • Story

I'll go for War of Dual Realities as my pick.

As for Job #11, my choice would be James Rhodes' War Machine.

Col. James Rhodes, an officer of the US air force is a good friend of Tony Stark where he was given a suit of armour which consist of a range of fire-arms. War Machine made his Marvel Vs Capcom debut in Clash of the Super Heroes (reappeared in Marvel Vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes) mostly as a palette swap for Iron Man where he mostly had similar move sets which include firing a shoulder cannon instead of a chest beam, spiked smart bombs plus a new super attack to differentiate himself from Tony's. However, I do believe that the development team can come up with more creativity and new ideas in order to make War Machine a unique character.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Rogue (Debut: Avengers Annual #10)
Anna Marie, better known as Rogue is a member of the X-Men alongside Wolverine and Nightcrawler who first appeared only in MvC2, while her moveset is pretty generic, punching enemies with her enhanced strength and speed taken from, I kid you not Wonder Woman out of all heroes. what makes her more interesting is her ability to absorb everything that someone have and use it has her own which lead to an interesting gameplay mechanic. Other than that her popularity is up there among the X-Men member including Cyclops.​

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Voting for "Regenesis" as our title; kind of gives the impression of a soft reboot, while only containing one word that has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Regenesis is my pick for the title

For Job 11

Blackheart

The Son of Mephisto and Prince of Hell, Blackheart is one of Ghost Rider's most infamous and frequent adversaries. He was present in Marvel Super Heroes, MvSF and MvC2 as a rather odd choice but endeared people with an excellent sprite, fun moves and really cool animations. He fought by using his various demonic powers and summoning lesser demons to assist him and there's plenty of potential to expand on this.

He works as an oddball choice as well as giving Ghost Rider's side of things more of a presence.

Top Bottom