• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Match Up Index

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Really? They always appear to be... either way they're really fkcing long ranged

Also... rob obv outlives marth, and he pretty much has an auto edge guard if marth is recoverying from below. (ledge drop bair)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm still not sure of my beliefs on the rob v marth match up completely, by the way.

BUT, how much damage we should be racking on him should exceed how long he outlives us due to weight.
He isn't exactly a Goliath in that matter.

I'm aware of the ledge drop bair thing.
Even though forgive me for suggesting that on stages like FD and smashville you could probably SDI into a stage tech.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Because if you SDI to a point where once you would be placed into knockback you would come into contact with a solid object through the normal trajectory, you should be able to tech.

Trajectory being effected by your DI as welll.

Let's take a text diagram here:

Code:
__ ~
 /
 ^
Let's say ~ is rob, and you are the underneath him. If the angle the bair sends you at is is normally 40 degrees, and you DI to make that closer to 60 (i.e. above 45), and if you SDI'd towards where that little arrow is pointing, you can come into contact with the stage (often it would be the "lip" of the edge, so i'd say BF/FD is better at this) and tech it during knockback.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
@Mintyflesh

I am extremely tempted to reply to a reply which is a reply to a mini-wall-of-text (see what I did there?). Allow me to say this:

- You're taking a lot of things out of context, and are interpreting what I'm saying kinda wrong (if I state that ROB cannot whiff things, there's no need to tell me that he won't be whiffing things because that's kind of what I'm saying).
- Yes, Marth is safe on the ledge. Really there's no point in denying that, ROB can't do anything while Marth is chilling back there. He can limit Marth's coming back to the stage, but he can't hurt him while he's there. You could technically just plank until they get fed up with it or make a mistake.
- Shaya already mentioned that ROB has very few disjoints, just the burner shiz. Don't go around spewing stuff that's wrong :X
-
He won't laser you unless he actually takes it into the air as well, which isn't really the best of situations. Full hopping is decently safe, ROB can't cover that zone.
That means exactly what it's meaning. You shouldn't attempt horizontal spacing, take it to the air, where he can't really touch you. Not with projectiles, not with his silly aerials.
- No, I never said 'spam ledgejump'. ROB has to PREDICT your ledgejump, as well as its TIMING in order to fair or bair it. If you just keep chilling on the ledge and he shorthops in order to bair, then you've got yourself an opening to get back onstage. ROB won't commit to shorthopping while you're on the ledge, he really won't.

Anything else?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
did you know you can double hit ROB with F smash?

its possible to hit with both tipper and normal f smash at the same time on rob

it has to do with hitting head and foot at the same time or somthing

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
no but I have a guy who always wants a rematch at a tournament because of it. He brings it up 2-3 times every tournament I go to because of it

it isn't practical to try in a real match, it was a fluke that ended up winning the me the match

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
ROB's model is very skewiff,
At some positions, fsmash would tipper from the ground, but like a fair would hit untippered.

Not sure about Fsmash hitting rob then continuing to hit him again, I don't think that's possible at all. Once a hitbox hits someone once it won't hit them again.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It depends on how you define '******'.

Any other flaming: through PMs I'd say, there's no reason to go off-topic. I've been noticing that quite a bit, if you really have to exert your hatred/annoyance towards my being, feel free to do so. But when I actually post something of value, there's no need to badger me about anything (especially if all it comes down to is 'lol you suck and even though you're right, I say you're wrong anyway because I'm silly like that').

All fair? Now back to the actual topic: ROB.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
LMFAO at Minty's long post ****** Chair and then Chair's inadequate rejoinder.

<3 chair and the entertainment that he provides.
I don't like this type of awkwardness that this "trolling" starts and what results from it (more trolling/flaming).

This isn't high school where you rate people by how witty/insulting their "comebacks" are.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
To be frank, I've already toned down a bit on my (admittedly) elitist attitude. I agree it's something I should work on and frankly, I am working on it. In the meantime, it'd do all of us good if you just either accept what I have to say or openly disagree with it and tell me what's wrong about it.

No, I no longer main Marth but the characters is interesting and I do know how to play him and how to play his matchups, and I am able to help/criticize other people with the character. I happen to know ROB fairly well and if I say he can't deal with Marth's FH spacing really well, I know what I'm talking about. If I'm not sure of something but have an opinion on it anyway, I'll throw out that opinion and mention that I'm not too sure about it.

Perception is reality.
I like that quote (random comment in between).

No I don't place really high, I can come up with all sorts of johns but that'd be of no use to anyone. All I can say is (modesty aside): I'm a fairly good player, and others will back that up, and my insights in the game are good. It's up to anyone to rate my credibility, I'm not going to force people to belief me (that's just plain stupid). If you really want to know how good I am then play me at Apex or wait until I have decent sets online (the most recent one iirc is a tourny set against kaak, which is already fairly outdated).

And really as I said, if there's anything to say about my behavior or whatever, take it to PMs or at least the social thread, not the MU thread.

Albert.

Smash Master
Did somebody mention ROB?

Dr. PP said:
Alright, so our big issue here is getting past ROBs defenses that are ready to be used no matter where you are on the screen.

Super long range- laser typically.

Fairly long range- laser or gyro.

Medium range- laser/gyro/Ftilt.

After this, it typically means you either broke into ROB's Ftilt spacing or he went in close for a grab or he tried some aerial that you shielded. If you broke ROB's Ftilt spacing, then you might have gotten a hit(which would be good because DB OOS would set ROB up for juggles, which he struggles at dealing with).

If he got his shield up, then you have to be careful at how you poke at him. Crossing him up leads to a Dsmash OOS(sets up for damage racking/edgeguard) or a Bair OOS(sets up edgeguard/kills) if you execute poorly, so you have to be careful on that end. DB is fast enough when you cross him up with like a SHFF Fair to stuff his OOS options, but it obviously isn't spammable. You do get to start messing with ROB's head once he quits trying to get OOS immediately when you go behind him though.
From the front, ROB can Fair or Ftilt OOS, both really quick options. I typically poke with Dtilt on ROB's shield(his shield sucks and Dtilt leads to stuff like more Dtilts or Fairs or DB or grabs....have fun with em) and mix in DB hits and Fairs as well. Trading is generally alright vs ROB's Ftilt, so don't worry about it too much. If you think ROB will Fair OOS, then try to shield/powershield it and you can punish him for it. Trading with ROB's Fair isn't really worth it unless you use something like an Ftilt, and that's mildly risky to use when ROB is shielding, but the probable return Ftilt punish of like 7% isn't bad.

Oh yeah, I deal with lasers and gyros by PS'ing(powershielding) them. You could glide toss the gyros but I'm not crazy about the option.

Oh yeah, one more thing about shield pressure vs ROB, Nair likes to shield poke since ROB's shield blows, so I'll mix that up aggressively and passively as needed since it can serve a very good job of pushing ROB up(for juggles) and out(for edgeguards) well. Also a good way to try and get kills if you find yourself conserving Nair.

If ROB sticks you in your shield, then he probably jabbed you at close range and is about to grab you. If your shield gets jabbed a dolphin slash is usually a good idea. Otherwise you probably won't shield many physical attacks aside from Ftilt or aerials(which will be spaced pretty hard) and dolphin slash usually doesn't punish them well.

For juggles, ROB is really fun. His Dair sucks and he doesn't fall quickly or have good aerial mobility, so you can get under him and keep baiting airdodges and swatting him. He can Nair as a mixup which is a sucky trade, but counter or an early Uair can stuff that.
When you're being juggled, ROB likes to Uair you or bait your airdodge and do Dsmashes/aerials when you land and punish your silly landing lag. Depending on the ROB, it may be a good idea to airdodge early in a match so you don't get Uair'd and then start countering close to the ground so you don't get aerial'd and edgeguarded/die early.

On edgeguarding.....

Marth doesn't really edgeguard ROB. He just kind of hits ROB a lot until ROB gets back to the edge. Grabbing the edge isn't too bad vs ROB, but you have to be wary of rising Uairs/Nairs that can destroy your control if he's below/diagonally down from you. ROB will willingly Fair trade with you if he can help it so he doesn't take heavy damage, so bait that with empty SHs onstage or edge regrabs and then punish as necessary. Spiking is very tempting but typically unrealistic, so I advise against it. When/if ROB gets swatted from the side too much, he may go above you, so get ready to set up your juggles again. As a final reminder, ROB has to aerial before he can airdodge after using his up-B, so the aerials can be baited somewhat easily/you can swat him early before he can airdodge if he isn't expecting you to attack.
When Marth is being edgeguarded, there isn't a lot of hope. It will typically involve ROB baiting the airdodge and then Fair/Bairing you. Try to fall down with Fairs or mix up your airdodge timings as much as possible, and I've even had success with up-B'ing when ROB has tried to Fair me and fallen to the edge/knocking ROB away in my invincibility.

anyway, sorry chair.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Shaya Mr.R and all the Marth mains out there please checkout my Blog about the Marth Community Combo video idea thanks :).

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
as much as we are discussing match ups might it be more prudent to actually make a forum for them or is the marth Broomers taking care of it?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Been meaning to put attention into it.

Once done it would be quite nice and shmick.
Was somewhat hoping some young, up and coming go-getters would step up for some leadership opportunities though (i.e. pick a character, lead a discussion, write a summary, etc)

ChKn

Smash Ace
Did you guys do the MU vs. ZSS? Rukkio said that there was a new discussion, but I can't find it. D=

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Since we're talking about not finding threads, why is there only one page and where is the archive?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
so are we actually going to have a match up re discussion or are MBR members going to make write ups

ChKn

Smash Ace
Should one of us just start the discussions and let the people come to the thread?

ChKn

Smash Ace
I started up a thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285943

Once I get enough feedback, I'll be able to sort it into the index.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11072977&postcount=147

You know what, I've been lurking around these boards looking for match up rediscussions that are up to date, and I can only find a handful of them. Shaya and some other people wanted someone to take the initiative to start up discussions, so now I'm gonna ****ing start up one, so we have something to index it.

I don't know much about the MU, but I know that we need to make an index. The MBR's discussion of the MU vs. MK certainly has the skeleton of what we need to make an informative OP for the MU index.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Tbh i think he should start off by getting all Marth players opinions on the matchups, adding them alltogether and sorting them out from that.

Just like this, ive done what i think for the moment.

vs :metaknight: 40:60

vs :snake: 55:45

vs :diddy: 50:50

vs :falco: 55:45

vs :wario: 55:45

vs :marth: 50:50

vs :popo: 50:50

vs :olimar: 60:40

vs :pikachu2: 60:40

vs :dedede: 40:60

vs :gw: 60:40

vs :lucario: 60:40

vs :zerosuitsamus: 55:45

vs :toonlink: 60:40

vs :kirby2: 60:40

vs :fox: 60:40

vs :rob: 50:50

vs :pit: 60:40

vs :peach: 60:40

vs :dk2: 50:50

vs :luigi2: 65:35

vs :wolf: 50:50

vs :sonic: 60:40

vs :ike: 60:40

vs :shiek: 60:40

vs :ness2: 65:35

vs :pt: 65:35

vs :yoshi2: 60:40

vs :lucas: 70:30

vs :mario2: 65:35

vs :bowser2: 60:40

vs :falcon: 65:35

vs :samus2: 65:35

vs :jigglypuff: 70:30

vs :link2: 60:40

vs :zelda: 65:35

vs :ganondorf: 75:25

Then after matchup ratios have been made, certain matchups can be then worked on one at a time, (using the threads ChKn has made) and made to a more specific ratio, imo this is a much better idea, i think you should consider it Shaya.

If people agree with this and post their opinions on the matchups, il put all the ratios together and make the matchups more realistic from every1s point of view, good idea?

Nike.

Smash Hero
The problem with your idea is that, well, we're supposed to be doing this already. Shaya made this thread with the intent of certain members of the community to make a character thread, dscuss it, then make a write up. Since the this was made, only a couple people bothered to do it, and none of them even made a writeup. I myself am guilty of this as well since I started the peach discussion.

It's sad that alot of of the top marth player's don't give huge contributions like EL or Pierce in the old days, because their opinions are highly valued for the most part. After reading the last few discussions recently made, I couldn't help but get the feeling that we were just saying the exact same things as 08/09 threads.

This Match Up project is still a very good idea. Shaya is amazing when it comes to organization, but it's not his responsibility to do everything for us.

My opinion on MU's as of now:

[collapse=By tier list]
vs :metaknight: 40:60

vs :snake: 50:50

vs :diddy: 40:60

vs :falco: 50:50

vs :wario: 60:40

vs :marth: 50:50

vs :popo: 50:50

vs :olimar: 60:40

vs :pikachu2: 55:45

vs :dedede: 40:60