• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
So... Marth dittos... I am HORRIBLE at them.

One thing that I have the most problem with is...

I'm hanging on the edge, and my opponent is, obviously, on the stage. He's too far for an edgehop nair/fair/etc. but if I try to wavedash or something of the sort I get fsmashed/grabbed...

Wtf do I do? Edgehop and just airdodge sideways?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
You can still get on the edge regularly lol this is sometimes risky but depending on who it is you are playing it is good...just press R and roll on or just tap toward the stage to get on normally...Don't jump...worst idea ever lol but yeah the other good idea is too LedgeHop AirDodge or this one...LedgeHop Counter XD this works...sometimes <_< this is a REALLY risky move though...you'll get away with it a few times but hopefully enough to scare him from attacking again...

Ok do this in a Marth ditto. 0% Fthrow > Uthrow > Utilt > ****

This combination actually works pretty well...Fthrow > Fthrow > Fthrow and end it there...

Then next life since they will DI away to avoid that then just Fthrow > Fthrow > Fsmash and it shall be a tipper....there are many ways to punish with Fthrow lol

O yeah, Marth is bad against DK on Green Greens...unless they really suck lol if that DK knows what to do then you are screwed

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
You can DI forward throw pretty easily. I prefer up throw and if they jump out you can try and chase. If they fthrow you in a ditto just DI down and away and you can regrab them. Like a 45 degree angle on your joystick. When they throw at low percents.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If they're spaced out, you can ledgehop waveland back to bait out something and then ledgehop nair/fair.

You should be able to ledgedash while fully invincible though, unless Cactuar is wrong about that.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I don't use this that much but I want to incorporate it more into my game.

Let's say my opponent is shielding. I fair their shield, then dash through them and pivot grab. How does spacing play into this? I'm assuming I can't hit them with the tip, otherwise they'll see the fact that I'm going got try to run through them. But if I go too close won't I just get shield grabbed from when I fair?

I'm also assuming this will only work with a really late fair (ie. right before I land from a short hop)?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
...Why would you F-air their shield in the first place? --- Sybawave, do tell your DK on Marth tidbit on Green Greens, please.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Thats probably true, I think its because the person who throws doesnt Dash far enough to regrab. When I see Cactuar play M2k he just fthrows then DD away then regrab so m2k grabs nothing. Nothing ever wrks on M2k in marth dittoes anyway.

Also you guys are wack for not coming to BWNY.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Work on your spacing, then. That's how it "plays into this".

That is more important than something situational and risky.
---
Any competent player can shieldgrab you from a poorly spaced F-Air.

I.B

Smash Lord
Thats probably true, I think its because the person who throws doesnt Dash far enough to regrab. When I see Cactuar play M2k he just fthrows then DD away then regrab so m2k grabs nothing. Nothing ever wrks on M2k in marth dittoes anyway.

Also you guys are wack for not coming to BWNY.
:( I don't wanna be wack.

At least Raynex has a chance of going still. :laugh:

Sybawave

Smash Ace
If they are shielding then just get up regularly...remember you can also land perfectly onto the stage and do and standing attack that way. But work on your spacing since that shouldn't happen <_< you can just do an empty LedgeHop onto the stage too

Green Greens...I was playing MouffromdaSouf (if anyone has heard of him) and he CPs that place vs Marth

It has a low ceiling for early Grab to Uair kills.

And since it is so small Marth has trouble spacing against a big target like DK. And DK is sturdy so early tippers and things won't kill him too easy

If Marth is on either of the 2 smaller land masses then DK can just either Grab him, jump off the side and throw him into the blastzone or he can shield whatever you are trying to hit him with and then just JC UpB which is considerably strong.

And I'm not sure about this one but he either threw me into a bomb or he touched it and we both died but he said he tries to do it but always messes up so I am guessing you can have that happen to you too

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
In front of Marth and a little bit behind him (not much at all). The "sweetspot" is just hitting with the opening frames of the attack (before Marth leaves the ground) and has a decent amount of knockback. The direction they are sent depends on how far in front of you they were when you hit them (it sends them more horizontally when you hit closer to the tip).

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Match three.

Don't randomly fsmash. Especially at low percents. Even if you hit, you don't get anything out of it, and if you miss you can get comboed pretty badly.

I would advise swapping out nairs for fairs, as they're harder for Falcon to break through. Just sayin'.

Dash attacks? I dunno, in general, I would try to use smaller swipes to break through Falcon's guard instead of going immediately into a big attack. Also, you might consider replacing some of the jabs with Dancing Blades. Your choice, do as you see fit. It just seems like at the moment you're not getting anything at all out of your jabs.

Don't panic and try to even the percent quickly. Also, play closer to the edge where Falcon doesn't have so much mobility.

You need to edgeguard way more aggressively. Run off with fairs and bairs which can lead into dairs, and dtilt aggressively to choke off avenues of recovery.

EDIT: Dark Sonic, thanks for the help, but I was really looking for a pic =P

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Jona = too good.

Yeah, Ian you need to work on your spacing. also on large levels like fd you need to kinda camp him out with dash dancing, retreating nairs(preferably) or fairs work as well.

You missed sooo many edgeguarding opputunities, missing those oppurtunities makes it look as if you weren't in control at all of the match which you were alot, but you just missed those edgeguards.

Also when your grabbing and your near the ledge, ALWAYS d-throw, don't try to go for combos, go for the gimp, marth's edgeguarding since m2k has improved marth's metagame is ridiculous, take advantage of your oppurtunities better.

Don't move around so much with marth, when you do that you become way vulnerable as marth has alot of openings when he isn't well spaced out and playing defense until he gains control.

Overall you have improved, Good stuff.

Smeesh is a beast, that dude just SDs too much.

Clone Z

Smash Journeyman
Marth Dittos

Need help on a grab game. Everytime I go uthrow, he just DIs up and I don't get a chance to hit him. Do I have to be gay and techchase after a dthrow?

Also, I just need some general pointers (again), mainly a shield-pressure game.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Uthrow depends on percentage. I generally uthrow on non-fastfallers at forty or lower, because past that it becomes difficult to get additional hits on them. Techchases are always an option.

General pointers... I dunno, space yourself out and dashdance. Use the fair to beat out nairs...

Why would you shield pressure instead of grabbing?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Marth Dittos

Need help on a grab game. Everytime I go uthrow, he just DIs up and I don't get a chance to hit him. Do I have to be gay and techchase after a dthrow?

Also, I just need some general pointers (again), mainly a shield-pressure game.
In a Marth ditto, whenever you U-Throw, expect a jump to escape. Punish and hit them afterward.

Marth does not need to shield pressure since his character revolves around grabs. If you want to do something like that, play Sheik or Peach.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Marth does not need to shield pressure since his character revolves around grabs. If you want to do something like that, play Sheik or Peach.
What? Please explain this statement. How does Marth NOT have a good shield pressure when the underlying fact about Marth is if you space correctly you can't be shield grabbed. I don't know about you but this leads to a lot of shield pressure situations.

I'm pretty sure that our definitions for shield pressure are different and your thinking in terms of Falco or Fox pillaring. But I do think you need to clarify your statement. What do you define shield pressure to be?

Clone Z

Smash Journeyman
Thing is it's a Marth Ditto, that means you're up against someone with good spacing. Idk about you, most of the time, I can't get close enough to grab the guy. I guess that's what I mean.

btw, does anything beat fair or is it that good?

KyloWinter

Smash Ace
In a marth ditto, if you don't tip your attacks you will get hit with a Fair, its that simple. Also, Bair will always result in you getting hit with a Fair. Also, don't throw Fsmash randomly. Try and keep him above you and don't get outspaced.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Fair beats fair.....

Don't let your opponent approach you with fairs... just CC grab or shieldgrab if you can (Watch out for low fairs because you can't shieldgrab those).

If you upthrow throw out an uptilt. If it hits great just keep swiping the marth.

If it misses that means the marth had to double jump out of it. Use that fact to your advantage and chase him down...... like a marth...

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
My definition of shield pressure is draining the shield enough so that you can poke at their feet or head or something. Otherwise, you force them to either run away or to take the hit whilst they're holding their shield up.

Yeah, we have different definitions.
---
Just look at Pink Shinobi. That kind of shield pressure.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Thats more like shield stabbing IMO. By "run away" do you mean roll? I would define shield pressure more along the lines of forcing them to choose between a more limited set of what are usually more punishable options than if they were standing, DD, etc.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
By running away, rolling or jumping out of shield, yes, you limit their options. That's what I mean.

It's like a Falco shining and D-Airing you're shield and, for instance, a Marth must weave around him by rolling, WD'ing OoS, etc.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Wait, lightshielding adds shieldstun? Son of a *****!

@elvenarrow3000. Assume your facing a Falco and he dairs your shield (and you neglect to Shield DI away) he then L-cancels, shines, and JCs the shine to a grab. Is it possible for you (Marth) to shieldgrab him after the shine but before the Falco can grab you (shieldstun taken into account) or do you just have to hope that you've DI'ed far enough away to be outside of his grab range?

I would ask in the Falco forums but someone tried to tell me that JCGrab out of a Shine wasn't a good tactic so . . .

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
By running away, rolling or jumping out of shield, yes, you limit their options. That's what I mean.

It's like a Falco shining and D-Airing you're shield and, for instance, a Marth must weave around him by rolling, WD'ing OoS, etc.
In this regard, Marth has a really good shield pressure game. He doesn't really have a lot of shield stab options besides maybe Dtilt. But his spacing definitely can force bad decisions from opponents that get caught in shield. Especially near the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom