• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
From the teaching of M2K

"Marth's D-Tilt is good.... Really Good...."

:)

anyway im pretty sure u can't get punished for using it on a character that is doing a move (such as d-smash) as long as you space it correctly. At worst the move will clash.

estion11

Smash Apprentice
sometimes while playing marth I will use his counter while WD away from my opponent I they begin to follow me. This tactic has worked fairly well for me however I have a feeling I will be lol'd at as I know the counter is never used on professional play.... My question is what our your guys' suggestions in terms of an attack while retreating with a wavedash, ive been working on using marths nair after my wavedash but I often get punished with a shffld fair (in marth vs marth) when i land...what are your suggestions?

...sorry for my messy train of though...

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
Counter used after a backwards WD can indeed be effective, but don't use it too much or your asking to get grabbed. A siple jab is good, but my prefered ethod is to D tilt and dash away, or do a retreating fair.

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
I was imperial wraith, just changed the name :p. I have improved since the utter rapage that came my wa last time hehe :D. Getting vids up and coming to another smashfest soon, hopefully!

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
just wondering if there is a good way to punish an opponent running off the stage to over b you...what should you do to try to punish it? is it punishable? or do you just try to recover and not get spiked afterwards.

lol just realized i didn't give character name..how should you react if the opponent over B's you..just di away i guess and fall? i was wondering if i can get off an aerial in time..jumping into the **** is a bad idea though

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Is there any way to take off the HUGE lag from Marth's Dair? And I don't mean L-Cancelling, I mean in the air. I went to a tourney today and other marth mains just used their Dairs right from the ledge and ***** but the lag on them was so short :dizzy:

Icelement

Smash Cadet
Is there any way to take off the HUGE lag from Marth's Dair? And I don't mean L-Cancelling, I mean in the air. I went to a tourney today and other marth mains just used their Dairs right from the ledge and ***** but the lag on them was so short :dizzy:
I've actually been wondering the same thing, and I haven't seen anything specifically describing the Dair lag and how to reduce it mid-air. I'm pretty sure there is a way to, cause I've seen countless videos wherein they Dair and ledge hog, while I'll fall straight down with no options.

Any Ideas?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Most likely they probably Edgecanceled their D-air

Anyway basically all they did was D-air and allowed their momentum to carry them off the edge and allowed them to cancel all the lag from the attack.

Its pretty difficult although i did see KDJ do it twice in a row to M2K while m2k was ledge stalling.

also if you miss there is NO way to shorten the lag time in mid-air the only way to shorten the lag after that is to L-cancel.

Knight - ... huh???? lol

in general i tend to fast fall then double jump up-b to recover if i see people trying to intercept my recovery. Or you can just ... f-air if you feel like it i guess.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
meh i just got over B'd by a marth into a spike and wondered what i should hvae done instead... besides DI away;p

i guess don't jump is the easiest.but i was wondering if you could get off an upair or anything before marth spikes you out of the jump

edit; first hit of the over b into short hop dair i think is what hit me...was just so surprised cause few marth's run off and use that to edgeguard

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
meh i just got over B'd by a marth into a spike and wondered what i should hvae done instead... besides DI away;p

i guess don't jump is the easiest.but i was wondering if you could get off an upair or anything before marth spikes you out of the jump

edit; first hit of the over b into short hop dair i think is what hit me...was just so surprised cause few marth's run off and use that to edgeguard
... over b? i dont get it... marth can't dolphin slash and then do a D-air to spike you thats not possible....

do you mean side b?

regardless your at a disadvantage since marth edgeguards everyone well (except like jigz and peach) so the only thing you can do is either

up-b early and catch them off guard and fast fall to grab the ledge

F-air their attempt to attack you off the edge.

fast fall double jump really fast then up-b

well yea some other stuff but ... i still dont quite understand what you mean by "over b" because its clear that marth cannot up-b into a d-air spike unless you mean he grabs the ledge by using it at the bottom of the stage to pop you up then d-air you.

In which case you can DI away from the stage but if you get hit with that your most likely dead.

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
I can't tell if you're trolling or not.
I don't know what trolling means.

I want to know the easiest way to double fair in a shorthop. I found the easiest way is to shorthop with Y and press A twice in a timed manner.

I also want to know the easiest way to do retreating double fair in a shorthop. I have trouble doing it. What I use is shorthop with Y press A and then press side C-stick for the other fair.

Need some tips on how to execute them good. Also some tips on L-canceling them easier if possible.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
please dont ask about "What is the easiest way to ...."

There is stuff about those type of stuff on the boards already.

The only advice is to practice.
Hey now, the guy is just looking for a lil help. It's a question thread, it's really not that big of a deal.

Anyways, I've practiced retreated fairs a lot. I use the C-stick, for both fairs. You need very fast fingers to do this though, so there's your warning. At first you will notice that your 2nd fair isn't coming out, and you're going to really focus on getting the 2nd fair out. However, don't be fooled. I can almost guarantee that the reason your 2nd fair is not coming out, is becuase you are not getting your first fair out quick enough. The trick is to get the first fair out as you are rising, not falling. This is hard to do, because you need to move your finger from the jump button to the c-stick very quickly, which can be a pain. Another thing that may hinder your 2nd fair from coming out at all, is that your timing may be off. Practice memorizing the lag time from an auto cancelled fair (meaning when the lag ends from the fair while you are still in the air, or at least I think) and then press the c-stick for the 2nd fair. If you press the c-stick while you are still lagging from the first fair, the game won't register it.

Now that's some advice. :chuckle:

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I realize that I'm not trying to be mean.

Its annoying lets admit tech skill questions are ALL over the marth boards there is no need to re-ask them anywhere.

Besides Emblem Lord would have asked me to ignore them anyway.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
OHHHHHH

hmm.. he is jumping off then side-b to dair you?

wow thats creative lol. umm... avoid it.. if you see it avoid it as best as you can or intercept him with an attack because it still is the only thing you can really do when you are recovering.
You can hit him after he does the side B. It doesn't actually have enough stun to combo into the dair, it just puts you in position for it. You can hit him with a fair, up B, side B ect. even if he's already hit you.

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
I realize that I'm not trying to be mean.

Its annoying lets admit tech skill questions are ALL over the marth boards there is no need to re-ask them anywhere.

Besides Emblem Lord would have asked me to ignore them anyway.
I think it would be better to post it here than make a topic about it. If a question like that didn't get the attention it needs here than someone would probably make a topic about it. If questions like these are troublesome and frequent as you say, there should be some faq's section that would answer them accordingly. Sorry if it seems that I'm being offensive.

When are you going to have tournaments again?

Hey now, the guy is just looking for a lil help. It's a question thread, it's really not that big of a deal.

Anyways, I've practiced retreated fairs a lot. I use the C-stick, for both fairs. You need very fast fingers to do this though, so there's your warning. At first you will notice that your 2nd fair isn't coming out, and you're going to really focus on getting the 2nd fair out. However, don't be fooled. I can almost guarantee that the reason your 2nd fair is not coming out, is becuase you are not getting your first fair out quick enough. The trick is to get the first fair out as you are rising, not falling. This is hard to do, because you need to move your finger from the jump button to the c-stick very quickly, which can be a pain. Another thing that may hinder your 2nd fair from coming out at all, is that your timing may be off. Practice memorizing the lag time from an auto cancelled fair (meaning when the lag ends from the fair while you are still in the air, or at least I think) and then press the c-stick for the 2nd fair. If you press the c-stick while you are still lagging from the first fair, the game won't register it.

Now that's some advice. :chuckle:
Thanks for the advice. I have fairly fast fingers, I'll try it out and tell you the results. :)

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be better to post it here than make a topic about it. If a question like that didn't get the attention it needs here than someone would probably make a topic about it. If questions like these are troublesome and frequent as you say, there should be some faq's section that would answer them accordingly. Sorry if it seems that I'm being offensive.
Read thebluedeath's sticky. It's a FAQ of sorts whilst containing lots of other information.

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
Read thebluedeath's sticky. It's a FAQ of sorts whilst containing lots of other information.
I have read it now and I have read it before, it doesn't really answer my question though. I know how to do ShDF. It is the retreating ShDF that I need help in. My question simply asked for the simplest way to do it along with some advice. Thanks nonetheless. :)

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
Ah, my fault then.

Anyhoo, the trick I used to learn to use Adv Techs such as this was to play Fox, it speeds up your fingerwork by at least 10x it seems. Or if you don't want to do that, try using the Cstick for the first AND second fair. The first one is the one you need to use with the Cstick for maximum horizontal movement.

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
I also have a question on the double fair. It seems like it gets a lot of attention as one of those technical skills that's fashionable to learn, but what are it's primary uses? What makes it better as an approach than just a strait fair or nair? I'm not very experienced with marth so I'd like to know if it's really important to learn. (and yes, I did a search and came up with nothing. seems like there's much hostility in the marth forum :p)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
The funny thing is ...

Its not more useful than a shuffl fair

using the shdf is often risky and is hard to control spacing with as an approach.

Shuffled fairs are much more controllable and are generally much much more useful.

The only thing i would use a SHDF for is maybe to counter an approach from the air.

Even then it would probably be a fair -> u-air which is probably better lol.

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
The funny thing is ...

Its not more useful than a shuffl fair

using the shdf is often risky and is hard to control spacing with as an approach.

Shuffled fairs are much more controllable and are generally much much more useful.

The only thing i would use a SHDF for is maybe to counter an approach from the air.

Even then it would probably be a fair -> u-air which is probably better lol.
Yea thanks, that is what I thought because pros don't use it that much. It is shown a lot in combo videos a lot though.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Yea thanks, that is what I thought because pros don't use it that much. It is shown a lot in combo videos a lot though.
I think I have stated this many times. SHDF is not a good approach. It is good as a retreat, which is what your talking about, and for a continuation of a combo. If you can read your opponent and catch them in the air with a SHDF good for you. But when they are on the ground it is generally a bad idea to approach with it.

The simplest way I find of doing retreating double fairs is to use the C-stick going right. And to do single retreating fairs going left or just doing a stationary fair then DI left doing a C-stick fair. My fingers aren't fast enough to use the c-stick both ways. So I don't force it. I more often just do retreating nairs in that direction. I had success doing it easily the claw method, but I got really uncomfortable trying to wavedash and JC grab so I just went back to my original grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom