• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Hmm, I don't know then because it was a problem I had when I was very new to the tourney scene. I have only played one really good Mario since then and I didn't really have a chance to spike him. I guess it's not a problem then thanks.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so ya i suck at this game a lot...i feel a little more understanding to UMBC's fsmash spam too..since i regressed to it against a few players who were worse than me...why screw with what works:\ especially when you're nervous..but it's a bad style to adopt

anyways most of these matches are really bad:p

but that's not why i want to send them in person..i haven't been given permission to upload them yet and i don't feel like waiting for critiques

the one that i'm least ashamed of is the vs c. falcon one..that one seems to be closest to what my normal skill level is...still lots of mistakes but not overwhelmingly so..the vs falco one that EL critiqued was probably the worst..though in the vs link and vs y link ones i'm a lot more spammy with the fsmash than i ought to be..sigh it's depressing..but anyways i have to show these to someone regardless of how much i hate them..if nothing else hopefully a critique will drill it into my head not to do some of these stupid things..many of which iknow are wrong, yet continue to do..especially under pressure.

i notice i tend to spam follow up moves at the wrong times....particularly i tend to dfair people's shields too much at times...they are spaced so i'm not too worried..i guess i'm trying to tag them if they jump out? but it looks really bad

also i sometimes miss noticing my opponents position...like trying to come down on top of a dsmashing y. link with a fair instead of a dair and getting hit by the second hit of the dsmash to die.

anyways, msg me sometime on aim and i'll add you

paladin5810

and of course eventually i'll add all of this to a critique thread if they ever post the crews

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Knowledge is half the battle...:) >_>

anyway if u realize ure flaws continually play trying to cut out a habit ONE AT A TIME

if you can see your own flaw a good opponent will obviously see it

if u think u spam f-smash try to use it only for a finisher try d-tiliting sheilds Dash dancing around them and waiting to either punish with a grab or if they jump try to chase them and like u-tilt? or f-air i guess

but yea its good to see where ure flaws lie just practice and try to give yourself restrictions so you wont spam it so often

LouisStevens722

Smash Rookie
No one ever answered my Q earlier so I figured I'd ask again. I'm not talking about powershielding or anything to clarify. I just meant what the most respected method of grabbing LA-RA, or Z? I'm having a hard time on my LA grabs cause they're harder to pull off, and moving my fingers to z preparing for a grab just throws off my mental game, so I was wondering what I should be working on?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Use LA/RA for shieldgrabbing only. That being, when you have your shield up, press A to grab.

Z is better for all-purpose grabbing.

Helpful hint: press X immediately before running grabs because it makes the grab come out faster.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
No one ever answered my Q earlier so I figured I'd ask again. I'm not talking about powershielding or anything to clarify. I just meant what the most respected method of grabbing LA-RA, or Z? I'm having a hard time on my LA grabs cause they're harder to pull off, and moving my fingers to z preparing for a grab just throws off my mental game, so I was wondering what I should be working on?
Personal preference, I used to shield, tech, grab, and wavedash with R. And L-cancel with L. Now I shield, tech, grab, and L-cancel with L, and wavedash with R. Makes it easier for me to wavedash in shield (which is the whole reason why I decided to do it). A few of my friends only use R waveshielding and all. Just comes down to personal preference. L or R is fine for grabbing from a shield. Almost any other grab is most common to JC grab using Jump (up, X, or Y) then Z to grab.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hey people, someone tell me what they like to use for throws on link at different percentages. do you just fthrow chain early then techchase dthrow..or do you like certain things out of upthrow..i think i was mistiming when to move after throwing link today so i'm not sure what i could do..i feel like if they di away before 20 or so you can't do anything..then after that uptilt or fair depending on if they choose to jump out...i think if thy don't di at low damages they can just nair on you before the uptilt comes out?

anyways i'm just wondering where if anywhere the upthrow is good on link besides for getting them on platforms

oh and any general link advice would be nice

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Ok...I know this is n00b...but how do I stop a laser spamming Falco? He doesn't even both SHLing, but I still can't do much to him. This is mainly for Final Desitnation.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
it's sticked on the top of the page...also for those who were interested...vs link..upthrow is nigh useless..in all honesty the throw game as a whole isn't nearly as good against link..try to get him in the air and juggle him if you can...but usually not with an upthrow...if you're lucky you can get some damage at mid percents using upthrow if they don't full di and jump away...at high percents maybe...and of course it's always good to get them on platforms above you.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
it's sticked on the top of the page...also for those who were interested...vs link..upthrow is nigh useless..in all honesty the throw game as a whole isn't nearly as good against link..try to get him in the air and juggle him if you can...but usually not with an upthrow...if you're lucky you can get some damage at mid percents using upthrow if they don't full di and jump away...at high percents maybe...and of course it's always good to get them on platforms above you.
In general you use the up throw just to put Link above you, not to actually combo him out of it. Use it a few times and see if he jumps out of it. If he doesn't then uptilt him for some easy juggles. If he Dis and jumps then just chase him with some fairs or uairs. Link's priority below him is not very good and Marth's uair gets through everything Link can do in that position.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya that's what i meant...unfortunately at low mid percents link with full di and jump away can touch down before you can chase unless you began the chase immediately sa you threw..in which case he should still be able to jump the other direction away relatively easily..it's just not nearly as guaranteed as techchasing on fd i think

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
In general you use the up throw just to put Link above you, not to actually combo him out of it. Use it a few times and see if he jumps out of it. If he doesn't then uptilt him for some easy juggles. If he Dis and jumps then just chase him with some fairs or uairs. Link's priority below him is not very good and Marth's uair gets through everything Link can do in that position.
Link can dair marth after the uthrow before the utilt, so be careful when utilting. If he dairs, then dash away then dash back in to grab again. The utilt might still work depending on the percentage and spacing, but it's rather risky. I'd rather not put marth's utilt vs Link's dair.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Link can dair marth after the uthrow before the utilt, so be careful when utilting. If he dairs, then dash away then dash back in to grab again. The utilt might still work depending on the percentage and spacing, but it's rather risky. I'd rather not put marth's utilt vs Link's dair.
I guess I wasn't clear in my post, but I meant at medium percentages. At low percentages then I really don't use Marth's throws on him at all.

I personally have no problem using Marth's up tilt to beat Link's dair, but I don't try the up tilt in the first place if Link's still close enough to hit me after I throw him.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
People have told me to work on my approach, but my friend says that Marth isn't supposed to approach, but he's supposed to bait his opponents into attacking, and then grabbing them.

Which one is true? It confuses me.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
People have told me to work on my approach, but my friend says that Marth isn't supposed to approach, but he's supposed to bait his opponents into attacking, and then grabbing them.

u shouldnt stick to either one

baiting is very good but with no approach characters like sheik can easily camp you

it depends on the situation approaching recklessly will get you hurt

trying to bait all the time will get u camped

its a good mix that is the best way to play

Rex+

Smash Ace

You have to mix it up. Be unpredictable. Mindgame your opponent.
This leads to many successful Marth players, you know.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Ah, okay. I'm also guessing Marth's approaches can work for setting up grabs as well?

(yes/no)

Send your vote for a chance to win a FREE iPod Nano!

lol....

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
lol marth's d-tilt is good for setting up a baiting oppurtunities and stuff

i think well spaced approaches are devastating to other characters especially like fox who cant compete in range or even peach who has worse range and speed >_>

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, haha. I've noticed d-tilt to grab works kinda well, but I've never tested it on a human yet, so I'm not sure.
its kinda hard to space it well sometimes and its not bad to just do it on a shield then run away ive done it and ive seen others do it its like an annoying tactic lol

i love playing marth defensive cuz im not as technical as i can be with marth with my spacing

although i think aggressive marths are just out right scary.... thats y i have sheik :) cuz she gays marth so good :chuckle:

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
How effective does non-FF'd f-air work as an approach? (Like, you know, for spacing)

Well, what I do is I do a spaced f-air, and then I just FF and L-cancel after that so there's not any wasted airtime.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How effective does non-FF'd f-air work as an approach? (Like, you know, for spacing)
not too well honestly unless your opponent is in the air

its REALLY hard to space them cuz w/o FF u remain in the air still and ure options at that point would be to either do another aerial

or to double jump

both can lead to bad places

the only thing i would ever do with non FF f-airs would be retreating with them cuz then your opponent is coming after you and you create a wall of swords in his face

yea.. basically FF f-air are more effective for rare combo situations multi-aerials are helpful though

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I mean at like 0%, if i dthrow they won't be able to tech, right?

btw Teczro, ty for teh help.
np dude

at 0 - 5ish i would f-throw into regrab for up-throws its usually effective because sometimes very low percent CG is difficult

and yea they can tech it though but its usually apparent to where they will go and if they dont its so ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom