• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth match-up thread

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
bleh community... ill stick to being better than you guys over writing guides

you should come to the world tourney xyro is holding in dallas in late august, you could write some guides while the real players are smashing IN PERSON
The whole point of writing a guide is to improve the community's ability as a whole. When you discover something new or effective techniques, you share it under the assumption that other players will do the same.

Sure, you writing a guide doesn't improve your game (unless you're researching it), but if nobody took the time to instruct people on this stuff, then where would our ATs be? Where would our strategies be?

We'd have a few good players with a static metagame.

In this system, we have a far greater number of good players, and constantly evolving metagame, and the majority of the community could probably beat the few "good" players in the fist scenario.

What is the better situation?

Still, if you're not interested in contributing, don't. Leave the Marth boards alone, good or not, we have no interest in a person who's not interested in contributing.

∫unk

Smash Master
I was kidding on the e-pencils (why did they sensor that out the first time so weird)

take whats the payout on this 'world' tourney? there's one in cali that has a guaranteed $2,000 for the singles winner on august 30th that i'm going to but if this one is more maybe i'll make the trip.

wait what's this thread about again?

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
I was kidding on the e-pencils (why did they sensor that out the first time so weird)

take whats the payout on this 'world' tourney? there's one in cali that has a guaranteed $2,000 for the singles winner on august 30th that i'm going to but if this one is more maybe i'll make the trip.

wait what's this thread about again?
if i recall correctly, xyro said like 1000$ guarenteed payout.

keep in mind that this tourney will most likely be primarily texans, then of course several from out of state and maybe an out of country or 2. therefore, wont be a gay snake fest...

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
any marth mains want to contribute to the gw character matchup discussion thread? we're doing marth for a little while longer, input would be nice : )

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
i need a good second for ness. ness has more like 10:2 odds against and has no chance. does anyone know someone who feels like ness, like a good aerial game, and does well against marth?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
i need a good second for ness. ness has more like 10:2 odds against and has no chance. does anyone know someone who feels like ness, like a good aerial game, and does well against marth?
Small... good aerial game... does well against marth...

Meta knight >_>

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Lucas - I don't care what Levitas says, Lucas can't handle Marth. LOL. All he really has on you is a good edgeguarding game and PK fire. You can perfect shield PK fire or jab it. But you have to space well with the jab, otherwise the fire will still hit your hand. Might be better off using a perfect shield. Once you get in, it's your game. Lucas has s solid moveset, but simply put you outrange him, so he can't do much without putting himself at risk trying to get past your sword. He has some nice combos with his nair that lead into other moves though. But good spacing means you shouldn't be getting hit by that stuff. Also Lucas telegraphs his d-smash and his u-smash even more. If you see Lucas go for these moves just roll back and then punish him in his cool down time. He has a grapple grab, but the range isn't that long really and he is vulnerable if it doesn't grab so good Lucas' won't rely on it too much. When Lucas is edgeguarding you he will try to stage spike with PK thunder. You can swat the thunder, counter it, or just take the hit and tech the stage and then recover. When you are edge guarding Lucas you want to swat the thunder so Lucas will fall to his death. Or just swat him to get in some easy damage. If Lucas abuses wavebouncing, like any good Lucas should, just be patient. Take your time approaching. Everytime he uses it he flies back, so if if he wants to abuse it he will have to run back to where he flew back form otherwise he will just end up at the edge, which would be bad positioning for him. Knowing that, you can take your time and approach cautiously. When you do get close just set up your normal zoning game. Lucas will be hard pressed to get around your blade. Also you have a grab set-up on Lucas. Just grab and pummel him non-stop. When he breaks out you can re-grab him and he can't stop you. From 0% to 20% there is nothing he can do. After that he can DI farther back, but if you are fast you should be able to get a re-grab or a dancing blade. Maybe an U-smash for the kill. If he didn't DI too far back you can get an easy D-smash tipper for a kill at higher percents. If you don't do the grab set-up correctly he can mash jump and other buttons and he can jump out, but if you mash the attack button then this won't happen consistently. It's not really too much of a huge threat to Lucas except that it set-ups up for an easy follow-up attack or a kill at higher percents. Anyway, this just solidifies the fact that Lucas can't go head to head with Marth really.

Hey EB. Marth doesn't death grab Lucas? I thought he did. So Lucas can DI.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^He can't infinite him, but he can chaingrab them to rediculous percents and just F-smash him out of it. So it's still a death grab.

Bump for great justice.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It isn't a CG, it's an infinite grab release.
Well, I call it a chaingrab because you are chaining grabs together.:laugh:

And no, it's technically not an infinite on Lucas (might as well be though).

I may not play Marth that much anymore, but I still gather information on him because it's important (Marth is one of the sacred 7 afterall), and because frankly I find the orginization of the Marth boards comforting. The Sonic boards are getting a little more organized, but it'll take some time.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I guess you could say it's a chain 'grab' but not a chain 'throw.'

But, yes, I think Dark Sonic is right on this. Marth's grab release on Ness is infinite, but I don't believe it is on Lucas.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Lol, I guess you could say it's a chain 'grab' but not a chain 'throw.'

But, yes, I think Dark Sonic is right on this. Marth's grab release on Ness is infinite, but I don't believe it is on Lucas.
Indeed, it is not. After 20%, Lucas can DI away far enough to avoid the grab.

It still ruins the matchup for Lucas, though.

shadow3.0

Smash Cadet
Me and my friend are equal in skill, but my Toon Link can always beat his Marth... Toon Link is more powerful and has an uncounterable Bomb.

If marth dodges it, TL is fast enough to quickly run is and shoot an arrow, throw a boomerang, or use a quick Standard attack like ftilt...

Toon Link is one of the most agile characters in the game, and he is surpisingly just as heavy as Marth... His Aerials have less reach, but they are more powerful.

Overall, I say 7-3, toon Links favor...

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Marth destroys Toon Link.

WTF? TL is helpless against Marth. All he can do is camp, which still won't work.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I disagree.

I think the match up is in Marth's favor, but I'll just assume it's even. It doesn't really matter anyways. No one cares about Toon Link.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
TL vs Marth.

60/40 Marth's favor.

I..I never imagined I would have to debate one of my own.

*closes my eyes

SO BE IT!!!!!!

*unleashes my Ki and blows away the entire landscape with my power

I shall not hold back!!!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
So you disagreed with Kizzu and I because you were lazy those many months ago? <_<

Silly EL.

What do you have to say for yourself sir?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nah. I honestly thought it was even back then, but now I realize that TL really has nothing on Marth except projectiles.

shadow3.0

Smash Cadet
Maybe 70-30 is a little much...

BUT...

Toon Link still has an advantage, because, IMO, his recovery is better, toon Link is more powerful, and has an explosive projectile...

Toon Link can throw a bomb at Marth if he's countering, and then he can come in with a quick hit...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why would Marth counter a bomb or randomly counter if TL is holding a bomb?

TL's recovery is average just like Marth's.

TL is not more powerful. Overall Marth has greater damage output. TL has greater knockback on his smashes when Marth doesn't tipper. That's all. And Marth can DI and jump out of TL's f-smash so that move goes out the window.

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
Hey everyone Im a fellow Marth Player from SD and Im always looking on improving my Marth in any way, shape, or form. If anyone has any tips on how I can improve my Marth it would be awesome if I can get some feedback from some fellow Marth Players.....

Thanks A Bunch!!!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
TL's recovery is average just like Marth's.

TL is not more powerful. Overall Marth has greater damage output. TL has greater knockback on his smashes when Marth doesn't tipper. That's all. And Marth can DI and jump out of TL's f-smash so that move goes out the window.
Wtf? It's much, much, much better. It has tons and tons of active frames, making it way harder to edgeguard. Marth's up b is a better move overall, but Toon Link ***** Marth when it comes to survival. He's actually heavier (wtf @ that), has higher jumps, and his up b is basically all active frames and very hard to edgeguard, unlike Marth's.

Toon Link can run around and camp Marth to death. I play a Toon Link main on nearly a daily basis and the only main of mine he comes close to beating is my Marth because he runs away and Marth has to work very hard to get in on him.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Um, cant TL's recovery be countered easily? IMO marths recovery > TLs recovery because its more versitile and marth can DB stall to make edgehogging him harder (and can u say "invicibility frames"?).
It doesn't matter if you counter it. You do a small amount of damage and don't kill him anyways, so it's harmless.

Marth's recovery options against Dedede's b-air far off the stage:
1. Die
2. Die later by airdodging down, which gets punished regardless
3. Use counter, which won't knock Dedede away enough to matter and means instant death if the Dedede calls such a predictable thing
4. Up b early to just hit him, but you die anyways, so...

Toon Link's recovery options against Dedede's b-air far off the stage:
1. Throw any of his projectiles to stop Dedede's approach, which is amazing
2. Hold a bomb to save yourself if you drop too low
3. Drop low and just up b up because it's an insane up b and eats edgehogging

Toon Link is looking much better in that situation.

Frames 1-5 are invincible, but the last few frames of the up b are not active, which actually makes him very easy to edgehog gimp.

I'd rate Toon Link's overall recovery in the second best group. Only characters like Meta Knight and Jigglypuff have him beat.

Marth's overall recovery...I'd rate pretty low.

Maybe I'm biased against Marth's recovery because I play Mew2King and Atomsk a lot, both of which main characters that destroy Marth.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Well, if ur talking about recovery then sure i agree. I thought they were comparing marths up B to TL's.
Inui said:
Wtf? It's much, much, much better. It has tons and tons of active frames, making it way harder to edgeguard. Marth's up b is a better move overall, but Toon Link ***** Marth when it comes to survival. He's actually heavier (wtf @ that), has higher jumps, and his up b is basically all active frames and very hard to edgeguard, unlike Marth's.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord

Toon Link can run around and camp Marth to death. I play a Toon Link main on nearly a daily basis and the only main of mine he comes close to beating is my Marth because he runs away and Marth has to work very hard to get in on him.
That word threw me for a loop. "It" is a very ambiguous term ya kno.

chaos_

Smash Journeyman
nice thread i thought rob has an advantage over marth and is the the most updated match up thread for marth?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Bump. Interesting to see how opinions and knowledge change overtime.

Also funny to read old posts from people who sh*tted on me in the past.

**** you Junk. <3

Top Bottom