• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth match-up thread

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Oh. I saw that already. It doesn't get too in-depth. But anyway, I disagree and I think it's even.

Yeah, that was the thread I was talking about. I don't have much enemy Falco experience, but from what I've seen, ROB versus Marth is equal, contrary to the general match up chart. So I just came here to find out your opinion on Falco versus Marth, since I respect your thoughts on the matchups.

Florida

イーグランツ
I don't know if this has already been discussed about Ike, but his up-b is what Marth's down-b was made to counter. Ike can't receive his super armor frames in time before Marth's counter sends him back out in the air. I use it all the time against Ike players. Edo and SlayeZ really get pissed at me. xD

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has already been discussed about Ike, but his up-b is what Marth's down-b was made to counter. Ike can't receive his super armor frames in time before Marth's counter sends him back out in the air. I use it all the time against Ike players. Edo and SlayeZ really get pissed at me. xD
Yeah, its really useful until your opponents start to Up B faced backwards/sweetspot the edge.
Anyway, if they get faced away, you just D-tilt them to the death. XD

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
If the list were true, having only one slightly bad matchup does make Marth rather broken, unless you're implying that another character has a superior matchup chart.

I also don't think that you're giving Diddy, MK, and Pit enough credit. I recognize your arguments against them since I've seen them throughout the forum, yet I don't think any of them are disadvantageous between players of equitable skill. I think it's a bit too simple to say that Marth has the advantage, even slightly, but theorycraft isn't my thing so we can let tournament results hammer that debate out by itself.
I agree with him MK Diddy Pit & DK are hard fights its usually one of them that knocks me out of tournaments

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I never said these guys are push overs, but as far as I know the other boards generally agree with my match-up ratings for those characters.

The only one that's really debatable is Pit, but I truly think Marth has slight advantage on him.

I will change DK to 50/50 though. Very close match. And alot of fun IMO.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I have a question Emblem Lord. How does Marth deal with a campy ZSS? :)
...and I seriously need tips if you can against ICs, Lucario, and Falco because ZSS is crap against them.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He has to rush her.

Dude..don't be losing to Inugay's Marth in MM's son. >_>

Vs IC's - Seperate then begin the ****. That's my motto vs IC's. You have a projectile so you can fall back on that more. Space really well. Don't use dash attack since she will hot both shields and you are likely to get grabbed. Use that side b to hit both of them and send them flying then you can edgeguard. Space with Bairs since it's very safe in order to pressure them when they shield.

Vs. Lucario - The fact that ZSS isn't a good killer spells trouble here. You can't play a range war with this guy. I would go into practice mode with ZSS and Lucario and mess around with all their moves so you know their max ranges. This will help you in your spacing vs Lucario. I did this with Marth and every other character in the game. I have a good handle on every move that has comparable range to Marth's moves and all the moves that outrange him as well. Lucario has a projectile so you have to rush. Rush in with run to shield so you can block his F-smashes and aura spheres. Then you can punish. I think your bairs and fairs outrange his when perfectly spaced, but test it out to be sure. It's just all about spacing and smart rushdown. And use that side b to kill as early as possible and remember to gimp him since his recovery is pretty gimpable.

Vs Falco - I don't see why this is horrible for ZSS. Crawl under lasers. Can you crawl under his shine too? I'm not sure. When edgeguarding you can just jump off and side B and he is done usually. This is another match that is all about smart rushdown and spacing. I can't really see how ZSS has alot of trouble in this match. Care to elaborate?

Snakeee

Smash Master
Wow, EL I totally meant I wanted tips as Marth lol. My Sheik and Marth are getting up there now, so I'm considering using him for those match ups. Some of that info was good, but sorry I have to say you're completely off about Lucario. ZSS can not rush him at all and has to play a spacing game. I've finally realized that she can camp a bit with caution because her paralyzer shots stop even his full charged projectile. And Falco is pretty unapporachable. I always crawl carefully under the laser spam, but it makes her unable to approach him either and even makes the forward B kind of useless outside of edgeguarding (or as a combo finisher).

Oh and that MM against Inui was a while ago when I had no idea how to fight Marth with ZSS, and I just rushed him like an idiot. I didn't get to play him this time though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Read the first post Snakeee for the match-up tips.

Anything specific you want to know about in the match-ups?

∫unk

Smash Master
That is not Falco exclusive. Provided you space it properly from the ledge, and your opponent isn't someone very floaty, it will work on them too.
I thought the list of character it works on is less than 1/3 of the cast? I remember seeing the list but I forget where. I know all the spacies were on there... who else?

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
the 0-death cg only works on falco and ike, im not sure about falcon cause ive never played one who can DI...

the fthrow to spike works on many characters.

falco and ike are the only chars marth can take from the middle of the stage to the edge and spike all in 1 combo, to my knowledge. it doesnt work on the other spacies either.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Can I have a link to either a vid or a thread because I couldn't find anything on the cg. How does it end in a spike automatically?

Ulevo

Smash Master
the 0-death cg only works on falco and ike, im not sure about falcon cause ive never played one who can DI...

the fthrow to spike works on many characters.

falco and ike are the only chars marth can take from the middle of the stage to the edge and spike all in 1 combo, to my knowledge. it doesnt work on the other spacies either.
First off, the characters that can be CG'd by Marth are Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Wolf, Ganondorf, King Dedede, and Sheik.

The FThrow to Dair doesn't work any more or less from what I tested on Fox or Snake than it did for Falco. I don't even think either are a guaranteed combo, it is just difficult for a player to avoid. All it requires is that you be close enough to the edge and have the opponent on a low enough of a percent. I may be wrong though, but this only working on Falco and Ike doensn't make any sense.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
doesnt work on fox, he can evade more than 1 grab. he is moves differently after thrown. wolf is too heavy for it, doesnt land in the right time and once again can evade it.

and im sorry, i forgot ganon.

maybe you should listen to the guy who learned it from the guy who discovered it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
doesnt work on fox, he can evade more than 1 grab. he is moves differently after thrown. wolf is too heavy for it, doesnt land in the right time and once again can evade it.

and im sorry, i forgot ganon.

maybe you should listen to the guy who learned it from the guy who discovered it.
I'm not going to listen to the person who "discovered it". Why would I listen to you? You don't believe everything you read on first glance. I'll personally test it myself. If it works, it works. You're not reliable enough for myself to count on for information, no offense. I'm sure others feel the same.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
lol, so since im not one of these outspoken guide makers, im not good for information?

its ok guys, just keep making your lil guides to get e-rep while continuing to be pretty terrible at the game outside of theory.

∫unk

Smash Master
lol, so since im not one of these outspoken guide makers, im not good for information?

its ok guys, just keep making your lil guides to get e-rep while continuing to be pretty terrible at the game outside of theory.
ur dum

and i'm pretty sure some of these guys that have written guides not only have huge e-*****es but have actually won tournies with marth *cough*

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
takeurlife2: Get your **** out of here plz.

Ok fine your a good player.

Who cares? That's not what this thread is about.

Junk and Ulevo need to chill out as well.

Since I would trash all 3 of you. XD

CY

Smash Ace
takeurlife2: Get your **** out of here plz.

Ok fine your a good player.

Who cares? That's not what this thread is about.

Junk and Ulevo need to chill out as well.

Since I would trash all 3 of you. XD
take has won EVERY houston tournament, haven't you heard. i doubt you could take him man.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I would bet money I could beat any Marth in a Marth ditto if only once even if they are much much better then me.

That's how stupid they are.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I know. You know winning tournies, but not beating amazing people doesn't mean much either right?

Food for thought.

Ulevo

Smash Master
take, this community is for contribution on the competitive scene, not for displaying reputation or boasting about how you've won tourneys. Lil fun fact.

If you feel you're a good player, all the power to you. If others feel the same, even better, right? But if you have nothing to contribute, you as a member are not helping to fulfill the purpose of these forums. I go through the e-bull**** because it helps me to collect knowledge and become a better player meanwhile improving others too. I don't care about reputation, nor your opinion on skill level or the lack thereof.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nope. And I don't walk around telling other people they are only good at theory fighter and are terrible at the game when it's just a little debate.

I find that people tend to bring up tourney results when they lack the intelligence to debate, so they just whip that out in the hopes to shut someone down. But you aren't shutting anyone down.

Hahah.

Dude, I been called out by much better players then you and insulted by them too. And I STILL made them look stupid. You ain't making me look foolish. I don't give a **** how good you think you are.

Keep your garbage out of my thread.

CY

Smash Ace
Nope. And I don't walk around telling other people they are only good at theory fighter and are terrible at the game when it's just a little debate.

I find that people tend to bring up tourney results when they lack the intelligence to debate, so they just whip that out in the hopes to shut someone down. But you aren't shutting anyone down.

Hahah.

Dude, I been called out by much better players then you and insulted by them too. And I STILL made them look stupid. You ain't making me look foolish. I don't give a **** how good you think you are.

Keep your garbage out of my thread.
take ain't won no tourney yo! dat cat be fraudin!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I was honestly upset when I posted that but then when I felt better I decided to have fun with it.

The Marth community as a whole supports me and they also seem to enjoy that thread. It's fun and games anyway.

I think I'm allowed a freebie considering all the stuff that I have contributed.

Ulevo

Smash Master
go have an emo moment ^^

im sure itll get stickied, i mean, it contributes to the community right?
I find that a little amusing. Excluding the fact that it got stickied because Panda is funny Mod, the reason it got so many responses is because Emblem Lord is appreciated by the community due to his contributions and opinion. The fact that the thread itself contributes nothing is rather irrelevant.

Go have an emo moment of your own and see how many people pay attention, hm?

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
bleh community... ill stick to being better than you guys over writing guides

you should come to the world tourney xyro is holding in dallas in late august, you could write some guides while the real players are smashing IN PERSON

Top Bottom