• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's placement in June 2009 tier list

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
I myself would REALLY like to help with improving Mario's tier placement in some way since Mario will always be my No.1 but I can't for a few reasons:

1. I'm British, and the tier and rankings list I guess are mostly based on tournies in America.

2. I'm properly one of the only British Mario mainers on Smash Boards, and I'm not that well-known.

3. I'm from all the way down in south-west England. The nearest city that does regular brawl tournies is properly Southhampton or Birmingham which are both over 200 miles away so I'm stuck doing online tournies.

And 4. I feel left out in all of this :(

Now all I wondering is how the hell Pokemon Trainer jumped up so high o_o.

Matt07

Smash Master
Reflex, helped a lot with boosting up his rank. He won a tournament like last week with PT with over 80ish people (I can't really remember), he's just really good with PT. Of course there's others PT's out there that do awesome with him as well, hence the rise.

Just like Sonic. Actions speak louder then words.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, PT has some amazing players like Reflex and Typh. And I think it was LaST 3 that he won going only Pokemon Trainer.

And I'm fairly sure they accept foreign tournament results. I mean, there's quite a few SBRers that are from Europe.

bobson

Smash Lord
PT has the advantage of actually being a better character, too.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
It matters quite a bit. Sure we know where Mario should be. Sure, there are tons of non-Mario mains that know where he should be. But does it matter? No. Not one bit. A character that is ranked low on the tier list will get less representation than character's that are ranked higher. The more representation your character gets, the faster his/her meta-game progresses, and the better the character becomes.

Mario dropping on the tier list only discourages people from using him. This is harmful to his meta-game and should not be viewed as something that doesn't matter.
I guess what you are saying is true for the fact that people wont pick him up. Most people here on the Mario boards will keep using Mario. So the logic is if we get higher, more people will think of picking him up.

Were having a tourney down here this Sunday...Sadly I have no money which means...

1. Find someone to pay for my venue and doubles fee...
2. Place 1st in teams(more than likely will happen)
3.Pay them back with the winnings and shread singles
4.Profit from singles winnings
Let me add a couple of things to your list.

5. Be so amazing that you get some people to use Mario
6. Get Boss to use less Luigi and more Mario.

Boss vs. Famous in grand finals going Mario all the way is something that I'm sure you two can pull off. Kirin and Hippie, you guys better do destroy the competition. As for me, I know stuff about a lot of characters thanks to a couple of friends I have, but my skill isnt very good. I'm possibly going to my 2nd tourney ever tomorrow. Hopefully, we will have time for low tier singles which I think I can get somewhere in that.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Explanations
Awesome, thanks. Hopefully I'll be getting some points for Mario/Kirby (and Diddy for the occasional '****in Marths!') tomorrow. Of course, I wouldn't even need to switch if my Wii hadn't crapped out of me and I could practice that cape teleport timing on Marth using FireMario's amazing video guide (Either he makes it look easier than it is, or the timing, at least for Marth's UpB, isn't as bad as I thought it was.).

MW has Marios? I just noticed.. But ****ing **** them ******* son
Yeah, but 1der and Xeroxen are the only two worth mentioning. There's also another guy named Whaleit who's pretty good, but inexperienced, and mine isn't bad, but it's far from great either... Basically, he's my secondary for a reason.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
So I think I'm just gonna go straight Mario/Link in most tournaments from now on. The occasional Falco only if a REALLY need it.

I'm going to do my absolute best for my characters.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I'm probably going to go 80% Mario at the TourneyPlay tomorrow. Hopfully everyone will look a bit more down on Mario as Matador said.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You know, it would suck if this increased determination led to people not using their high tier primaries/secondaries anymore and in the end made their tourny results lower XD

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Way to be so negative. :(

You don't believe we're good enough to go with our main characters? Then **** you, good sir.
/not being serious.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't think most of us are good enough to go 100% Mario is all. I sure as hell know I can't!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You know, it would suck if this increased determination led to people not using their high tier primaries/secondaries anymore and in the end made their tourny results lower XD
This is a valid concern imo. If winning tourneys with just Mario or even Mario + a high tier were easy, we'd have done it from the start. From where we stand now, Mario isn't exactly what you'd call "tourney viable".

He has a few pretty terrible matchups.

And lol, Bo is MW. He places up there with Lain and Anther rather frequently. I wish I had my Wii still...I could share some of the things I know over wifi. Now it's too late :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oops, didn't realize Bo was MW. Has he been going to the MWC events at all? (Bo, are you going to the MWC Champs if yes?)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Holy hell, Sonic jumped DRAMATICALLY.

I know Mario got knocked down one spot (which actually doesn't surprise me one bit), but WOW.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm not surprised. Did you see his tournament results?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
20 :sonic: Sonic (11 top8, 5 top4, 5 top2, 3 wins) - 101.5 - 17

Yeah...

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
People most likely only used Sonic cause it's Sonic, and more people = more tourney results. No one cares for Mario, so we lack in Mario players.. meaning lacking in tournament results =/

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sonic better than Mario? If you still think that, then we'll see you at the Olympics. ****'s goin' down.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sonic has more representation. I myself would use Sonic more if I was willing to master him.

Is he better than Mario? For now, yes.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
For clarification, I'm not really saying that as a character that Sonic is better than Mario. In actuality I'm just saying that Sonic is a more attractive character.

Both characters still have to work hard to beat any fight. Sonic is all about quick pressure, while Mario is all about technique.

The two can't really be compared in my opinion.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Let Mario become the Jigglypuff of Melee.:laugh:
But didn't everyone know the power of Jigs? I can't think of a single person who was actually competent at the game who underestimated the wall of pain.

I'm a new Mario main. Yes, some people actually like the character.:p I'm not competent at all, though so I'll try to improve. It's been AGES since I last played Brawl.:urg:

I never knew about half the stuff in the Mario walkthrough, such as cape-gliding. Eh, I'll try to improve.:)

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Was being facetious.

If you think about it. For example. Once Wario mains broke him in, ie. Figured how to play him in gay manner. Look where he's at now. Let alone how much of an pain in the *** he is to be up against lately.

Mario's just Mario. Has a few tricks though.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
FLUDD needs to KO at 30%. I think that's what he was trying to say.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
So I'm guessing eveyone else here was like, wtf? @ Lucas > Mario/Ness

I dunno much about Mario, but I thought for sure he'd be above Lucas lol.

I've been trying to at least play Mario some everytime i can play this game. But I guess I'm too used to Squirtle/Sonic's speedz. D=

LOL @ Me only now getting Bo's username
>_< and I've been calling him Box..

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, I honestly didn't see that coming.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Your mother.

Vato's grammar sucks. It's enormously p****. We're turning the male reproductive organ into an adjective, guys.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You'd have to add a 'Y' at the end for that to be true. It's not a noun in that sentence.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Enormously = adverb

IE: Growing enormously

Growing is the verb, enormously is its adverb.

Top Bottom