• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's placement in June 2009 tier list

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
My part: I make people think Mario's only decent (because that's what mine is).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Why do people want Mario to go down? As silly as it sounds, there are people out there who don't play their favorite characters because of their ranking on the tier list. This prevents people from representing Mario in tournaments, and thus undermines the development of Mario's metagame due to lack of use. We WANT Mario to be top tier. If you want to keep on sweeping low tier tournies, just pick up Yoshi.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why do people want Mario to go down? As silly as it sounds, there are people out there who don't play their favorite characters because of their ranking on the tier list. This prevents people from representing Mario in tournaments, and thus undermines the development of Mario's metagame due to lack of use. We WANT Mario to be top tier. If you want to keep on sweeping low tier tournies, just pick up Yoshi.
Well, here's the thing: Everyone knows the MK/Snake/most other high tiers matchups, since, well, being high tier, they are the ones people play the most, and therefore that you encounter the most. Now while it's true that more people playing a character means the metagame advances faster, it also means that the general awareness of what that character can and can't do also increases, as well as how knowledgeable the majority of smash players are with the matchup.

Currently, Mario is a character who is extremely underrated, and when you pull him out, if your Mario is any good, people will be shocked and surprised by what he can do (unless they've played Boss or one of the very few good Marios out there.), and often time, not know what to do until the end of the set, when they can calmly look up what the character can and can't do.
A good example of this would be FIHL, hitting through the stage with UpB, UpB stagespikes, double Bairs, our insane combos, the Fsmash range and pullback, how fast our Dsmash is, how good our spike is, etc. All these things are things you can often catch your opponent by surprise with if they have never played a Mario (and that is usually the case.).

If Mario were to for any reason rise much higher in the tier list, sure, we'd get new people and probably new discoveries, but less people would fall for our tricks, hence, our matches would get harder.

(In fact, this general arguement is what allows Ganon players to win matches from time to time.)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If Mario rises, I want it to be for a reason. Right now, there really isn't one.

You're right, we WANT him top tier. We have to prove that's where he belongs.

Edit @ fromundaman: Mario =/= Ganon

We don't really have to rely on surprises to win. They're nice, but Mario's a rather decent character all things considered. KO power, shield pressure, combo-ability, combo breakers, good OOS, decent approach, etc.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
If Mario rises, I want it to be for a reason. Right now, there really isn't one.

You're right, we WANT him top tier. We have to prove that's where he belongs.

Edit @ fromundaman: Mario =/= Ganon

We don't really have to rely on surprises to win. They're nice, but Mario's a rather decent character all things considered. KO power, shield pressure, combo-ability, combo breakers, good OOS, decent approach, etc.
Lol, I must not have made myself clear.
No, we don't rely on surprises to win, but they help a lot. I've managed a lot of wins as all my characters because my opponents didn't know what said character could do. I just mentioned Ganon because he is the most obvious example (I'm not saying he's better or equal to Mario. He's a horrible, though fun, character.).

My point was that it is much easier to win when the opponent doesn't know what to expect, but goes in thinking 'lol ****ty character!' (like OS did vs Shugo, for example...), than when they know the matchup verbatim.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's definitely a plus. However, I'd be rather disappointed if Mario's higher tier placement hinged even partially on the fact that the tourney scene was practically blind-sided by this low tier character.

That's actually how I see Diddy. He's a great character, but he's probably one of the most important characters to have matchup experience/knowledge for if you want to beat him. Because of this, I find it odd that people see him as 3rd and 4th best in the game.

I get what you're saying, if he went up, more people would learn the matchup and it'd be alot harder for people trying to place with him. I just hope nobody's basing their opinions that Mario would be better suited as lowtier for now solely on that reason. That's kinda sad.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's definitely a plus. However, I'd be rather disappointed if Mario's higher tier placement hinged even partially on the fact that the tourney scene was practically blind-sided by this low tier character.

That's actually how I see Diddy. He's a great character, but he's probably one of the most important characters to have matchup experience/knowledge for if you want to beat him. Because of this, I find it odd that people see him as 3rd and 4th best in the game.

I get what you're saying, if he went up, more people would learn the matchup and it'd be alot harder for people trying to place with him. I just hope nobody's basing their opinions that Mario would be better suited as lowtier for now solely on that reason. That's kinda sad.
Very true. But it is why I personally like my characters to stay lower tier. Of course, if I had any say in the actual tier system, I'd have to base it on more important things, but as a player, it's just one more advantage I can use.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
New tier list is to be expected soon. By midnight, possibly.

Mario for low tier!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
So...

Apparantly Mario is worse than Lucas now...

WDF!?!?!?

Kay, we're bringing that up. Start winning, guys. START WINNIN!!! Oh and Sonic is above us too now. LOLOLOLOLOLOL Sonic.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sonic jumped 8 spots.

Extremely good ****.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Kirin and Famous do more than their fair share, they put up the results. Boss suddenly mains Luigi and just pretends to use Mario.

This is all bad.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Famous and I do work son. Vato has brought in some good results too. Boss got Mario in a good place late in the game.

We need to pull our **** together. We can get Mario to where we know he should be.

Icyo

Smash Ace
I know how I can place high.

Anybody know how to stop being nervous whenever you hear that pools start in 5 minutes???
Remind yourself you live in Indiana. Or even that you're being competitive over a toy and everyone you play is a baby.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yea, you guys need to start winning more, but I also think you guys need to utilize your tools better. Perfect example, the ledge-cap glitch, I've seen so many marios write it off because it's difficult, but the fact is the timing is reliable, you just need practice to get a feel for the various recoveries and when they sweet-spot, there are very few characters that can choose to entirely bypass it without you knowing well before you have to cape (Zelda, Rob, Pit and Sheik are some easy examples).

I'm sure that there's more, but that's one extremely easy example because it's VERY powerful, and in my mind inserted the "hey, maybe Mario isn't as bad as I thought" idea in my head, something that dramatic that robs one of the most basic mechanic of recovery, include it in your game and people will take notice.

Cuase Mario doesn't deserve to be this low on the tierlist, you guys just gotta prove it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So...

Apparantly Mario is worse than Lucas now...

WDF!?!?!?

Kay, we're bringing that up. Start winning, guys. START WINNIN!!! Oh and Sonic is above us too now. LOLOLOLOLOLOL Sonic.
Yeah, the Sonic room is clearly happy. They made a thread on why Sonic is better than the characters above him, and look, he even surpassed Ike. I, a Samus main, sympathize with you Mario mains. :(

And Lucas can die. So can Roadkill the Hedgehog.

BSP

Smash Legend
Can someone please explain to me how lucas is "better" than mario? (and ness)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sonic beating us is not a surprise at all.

Lucas.... ehhh... somewhat... They're both underrated characters, and Lucas has a lot more representation and good players.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm happy to say that I've never lost to Sonic.

I don't care much about the Lucas thing, or where Mario is on a "list". The list means nothing to me, unless it somehow changes how I can play my character, but it doesn't. It just means people will say "Wow low tier, win for me!" and then get owned by Mario.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha, agreed Xeroxen. (Even though you were complaining about it earlier...)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm sad to say none of us here are truly satisfied.

Just... never give up. Seriously. We've been in a slump for wayyy too long. x.x
I'm speechless as to how badly we're affected.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
...Yeah...I kinda expected this....don't worry yet. The tier list still has several revisions to go. Sonic is CLEARLY overrated for example. Sheik >>>>>> him by far.

My Mario will be at Genesis. I'll need your guys support.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It sucks having little money and being in Florida.

Best of luck, A2. :D

Top Bottom