• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's placement in June 2009 tier list

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Alot of people suck outright without using MK.

~After re-reading the 2.0 list. PT's placement is outrageous. Must not be many PT mains.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
at M2K's skill level, he should be very good with the character he was using. The character also plays a big roll. MK Plays a giant roll.
I'm not saying the opposite, but it stands to reason that he woud not be AS good with them as he is MK.

I'm not saying MK plays no role, as it is obvious he is the best character in the game, but it's not coincident M2K wins so many tournaments either...

Teh Future

Smash Master
M2k got 3rd or 4th at a MK banned tourney.

The character matters a lot, actually.
Your point makes no sense. If MK was banned M2K would just main snake or another character and within a month would be back to winning every tournament that he goes to.

Just because he couldn't play for Metaknight for one tournament doesn't make it so that he is going to change his playing style, which is completely based on him playing as Metaknight.

Getting fourth in a tournament that he isn't allowed to use his main in and probably used a character he isn't all that familiar with just helps prove my point.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'll just say what we're all thinking: Mario will either move up, stay where he is, or go down.

Matador: Lol, on his profile, you can clearly see he's in the Dedede back room. I actually remember him using Dedede.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
With myself out of college, trying to get work, and spending time with my family, I probably won't be repping Mario as well as I want to. In fact, college was my only way to practice, and I'll be ****ed if I go back to practicing online.

My assumption is he'll stay where he is.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
He lost to Chillin's Falco iirc.
He lost to NL's Diddy that one time with MK too XD

He can't win them all, lol

With myself out of college, trying to get work, and spending time with my family, I probably won't be repping Mario as well as I want to. In fact, college was my only way to practice, and I'll be ****ed if I go back to practicing online.

My assumption is he'll stay where he is.
Hero, you should come up to BTYF this weekend. Gonna be epic. It'll probably be my last tourney till Genesis if I go.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main change I can see affecting Mario on the tier list....he'll probably go above Ike.

I can only see Ike getting worse in time. He just doesn't have what it takes to mix it up on shields.

Also, I think Yoshi will become closer to Mario's rank. Fox might join the same tier as Mario IMO.

But really, if you want my SUPER optimistic opinion, I think he could make it a few spaces under Luigi.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
<---Agrees with A2

It all depends on what SBR notices though. That's probably along the lines of what SHOULD happen, but what will happen is a completely different story most of the time.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm gonna have to disagree about Ike.

While I don't see him moving higher, I don't see him moving lower either. Thing is, he is a very powerful secondary, but not a very good main. It takes an excellent player to place with Ike, and general knowledge of your opponent's playstyle to know what to do.

That said, Ike does have some considerably good match-ups to be taken into account, most noticeably against Diddy Kong and Ice Climbers, and he is better than everyone in low tier minus Mario and perhaps Yoshi. While Ike doesn't have a lot of things going for him, just his simple properties (KO power for one) makes his placing pretty solid.

If Ike moves to Low Tier, it's because Mario moved up.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Chances are that now that nobody is placing with Mario again, he'll either stay the same or go down. Ideally, Mario will go up because well... in nearly every low tier tourney, Mario ends up ******.

So, it's pretty obvious that he destroys the lower tiers, so he's not very fit for it...

So I think that Mario won't actually be moved anywhere -- it's just that he'll be added to the bottom of mid tier instead of the top of low tier.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
His placement in the tier list effects nothing except his placement on the tier list.

Anyone with a brain can see he is a usable character, the only thing holding him back is the skill of the players using him.

Im not saying low tier mains are bad, but Mew2King doesn't win tournaments because he is using Metaknight, its because he's really good. The character isn't why tournament results are lacking.
Who are you?

Player skill is an important thing but it doesn't let someone surpass character limitations

Famous

Smash Champion
Chances are that now that nobody is placing with Mario again, he'll either stay the same or go down. Ideally, Mario will go up because well... in nearly every low tier tourney, Mario ends up ******.

So, it's pretty obvious that he destroys the lower tiers, so he's not very fit for it...

So I think that Mario won't actually be moved anywhere -- it's just that he'll be added to the bottom of mid tier instead of the top of low tier.
Mario (like every character) has the potential to destroy the entire cast...As for me, I'm still seaching and finding ways to make Mario more affective against Top tiers. I do find ways...but when I do the meta-game of the characters change all over again. That's why we have to constantly progress Mario's meta-game...This is one reason why I always play significantly different every tourney.

Guys, we have the tools of making Mario high tier...We just have remember to change our tools up to fit the situation at hand...

Highest I placed with Mario was 2nd...There weren't alot of skilled players there but as for a fact...I was the only person using a low tier character.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I placed first at 2 gamestop tourneys....LOL

Mario ftw. I plan on showing you guys my new Mario at BTYF. Gonna be srs.

Famous

Smash Champion
Ha, so that makes you, Kirin, Boss and me going so far...Hopefully Hippe comes. It's going to be a full Mario montage.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This is still open?

Make a new one when we get closer to June... it's barely March, guys. If you guys want to talk about Mario's future tier placement, there's always visitor messages, PMs, and AIM.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Thanks for reopening, Skyler.
You'd have forgotten if I didn't remind you. :psycho:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I didn't even know June was next month. >_>

I think Mario will stay the same. It's painfully obvious that he is higher (I'm willing to bet most SBR members would agree with this, if asked), but he hasn't gotten that much tournament representation.

Not like having our tier list based on tourney reps instead of match-ups is stupid or anything... right? Right?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mario
Ness
Sonic
Lucas
Pokemon Trainer
Yoshi
Samus

That's how I see low tier. :laugh:
Mario and Sonic at the top, Samus at the bottom.
Although Mario won't drift any farther than 2 spots if he falls.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Bah, this talk always makes me wish Nintendo didn't **** around with E for All.

I want my god tier Mario next game! D=

He deserves to pwn and have a lot of depth. I want to see his popularity rise.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I hope he falls. They have all the reason in the world to. Everyone's saying "Boss doesn't play Mario anymore" and all that other BS as a platform. His tourneys results are horrid. His matchups aren't all that great. He probably WILL take a dip below a few characters. Quite possibly Yoshi, Sonic, Ness, and Lucas. Maybe even Link.

The further, the better for us.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
The problem with him falling is that... actually, I'd rather just quote from the meta-game june 2009 tactical discussion LOL...

You never want your character to go lower. You probably aren't the best___ in the world so theres more out there for you to learn. If ___ goes down that means that there is less stuff to know about ____ meaning you most likely won't have the potential to make her a better character. If a character goes up that means the best have said there is more to learn about the character and you can eventually do good with them in tournaments.
but then something like this could happen too as well >__>

A character can improve and still go down. Its how much the character fairs with the others. And how much of an influence a character has on another by match up and how frequently they are picked.
i just found this pretty lol

I've convinced NJ (one of the best states in the country at Brawl) that Jigglypuff is a very good character.

As I said on the last page, Jigglypuff preforms much better than most of the low tier characters and wins low tier tournaments. Also she fairs well against characters like MK, DDD, and Falco.

She has one of the best recoveries. Jigglypuff has one of the best dash grabs in the game too. Many stages are in her favor such as Frigate, Delfino, Castle Siege, Brinstar, Norfair, RC, and Japes.

Jigglypuff is better than link, pt, ness, lucas, samus, mario, yoshi, and ike. I didn't say Sonic because he should move up as well.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think he might rise a little. Hopefully enough to at least get him into mid-tier.
We don't want him to be that mid high. He really does deserve low tier, until we step it up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The problem with those quotes Hippie, is that WE all know where Mario belongs. We just haven't proven it. If he falls, it's not because he's magically unable to maintain his spot. It's because A.) SBR's incompetent B.) Tourney results and matchups determine the placement or C.) His representation isn't where it should be.

This time around, I think SBR's going to pay attention to everyone past high tier, so I doubt A is going to happen. It's likely that B and/or C will be the reason for his fall.

If it's B, I could care less. Matchups are more or less BS. Tourney results aren't far behind.

If it's C, then we simply need to work harder at getting Mario's potential seen by the right people, myself definitely. lolcommasplices

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Yeah I know what you mean though Matador =(. Yesterday after my tourney, I was chillin with Dark peach, Blackanese, DJ nintedo, Leo at McDonalds. They were all saying how Melee Mario was ****. But when I told them that Mario is low tier in Brawl and it was SBR's decision in that, they all went " WTF " at me lol. It was funny though XD!

I personally think A & B is bull **** lol.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah I know what you mean though Matador =(. Yesterday after my tourney, I was chillin with Dark peach, Blackanese, DJ nintedo, Leo at McDonalds. They were all saying how Melee Mario was ****. But when I told them that Mario is low tier in Brawl and it was SBR's decision in that, they all went " WTF " at me lol. It was funny though XD!

I personally think A & B is bull **** lol.
Same here, lol. And Melee Mario was amazing :laugh:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't care where Mario goes on the tier list. If he goes farther down, people with underestimate him more than they already do.

If he goes up... no more Low Tier tourneys for Mario. D: But still, he goes up. Mabye he'd get a few more players for more representation.

I honestly think that repping Mario is the problem, I'm still kinda new to the smash scene, SO IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!! But I'm workin on fixing that problem with my new ****.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I don't think its representation as much as it is discussion and organization. There's is a lot of info on Mario that is either not properly covered or presented. *Looks at the quiet Gimping, Moveset and Counterpicking threads*

I remember talking to Falchion-, the Falcon Boards mod, and I kept saying how impressed I was with their Ultimate Falcon guide and the fact that they had a very strong and live Q&A thread. Pretty much what I'm saying is the Mario Boards either need a clean-up or some kind of jump start, which I have noticed recently in the form of Matchup Discussion and new Tourney Results ownership.

But hey, I'm just the guy who makes the videos :/

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't think you really realize how important you are. Not only are you another cool Mario main, but you're producing flashy videos that show just how great Mario is. Some people didn't even know what cape teleport looked like.

Top Bottom