• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's placement in June 2009 tier list

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Land O' Lakes.

I occasionally venture off into Tampa or Ybor for a tournament, but nothing in the last 4 months.
So I live in the mid-eastern area.

@Vato - I'm touched... ;-;

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Land O' Lakes.

I occasionally venture off into Tampa or Ybor for a tournament, but nothing in the last 4 months.
So I live in the mid-eastern area.

@Vato - I'm touched... ;-;
Ah, I see. Here in Orlando, there's like a tourney every weekend. Too bad we're the state with the most D3's (Seibrik, CO18 and Hungrybox to name a few). So hard to get a win...

@Vato, I'm with you.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I know, it's Dedede city here. P:
Plenty of Snakes, too.

Daw'. Cheer up, guys. We can still win with Mario.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
****ing SoCal.
There's actually quite a few Marios in Cali. Why can't everyone in SoCal main Mario and Ness?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
In my humble, biased, opinions, SoCal *****.. in general.. especially in Low Tier xD

We might not have the best(or do we?) low tier players, but we had a good handful of players who ***** with low tiers, such as ViceGrip, Oats, Typh, me :], 3des, 2quik, Ardes, Allstar, Vato, Champ, and many more... DSF has a sick Jigglypuff too ><

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It's just too bad people are good at this game.

Typh's Pokemon are way too good. D:

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
The new tier list is just another mindgame to use against everyone who sees Mario as a "poor" character, but oh well, don't lose your spirits dudz and always have faith in your Mario's...

Matt07

Smash Master
This makes me sad :(. But Kirin said it right, we gotta start going to tournaments and proving how he's better material then where he is on the tier list. "C'mon step it up."

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
i will try my hardest next tournament guys,like im not saying this i mean it..i won't let you guys down.
Watch me beat Anther with Mario one day. I'm stepping it up.

well at least it makes the opponent feel like **** when they lose to Mario now.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I knew it was coming, I practically called Sonic's leap before it happened. Nothing was keeping him there. I've always said PT was better than his spot. I even said in my other post that Lucas, Sonic and PT (and Ness, kinda surprised there) would overtake us. What's my opinion on what's happened?

Doesn't matter that we've dropped. Not one bit.

What's important is that WE know where Mario belongs. WE know how good he is and WE can bring him there. He's capable of it, that's not even in question. Please don't tell me you really think characters like Fox and Shiek are capable of taking on every high tier head to head and Mario is magically incapable? Please...that's nonsense. Mario being this low on the tier list is an atrocity and we MUST fix it.

That means getting out to tourneys and placing better, beating players that matter, and basically showing what Mario can do. It isn't down to just Boss or Famous or Vato or Kirin or any of the Marios already doing their best at tourneys; it's down to all of us. Place and post it in Ankoku's thread knowing that we NEED to show everyone what Mario can do. This is our shining moment. We've got a fresh start now, nobody's gonna see us coming.

And wtf @ bashing Sonic mains. They deserved that ****

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Matador, inspiring words. I'll try not to get knocked out of pools at the Midwest Championships on the 20th.

I really shouldn't be getting knocked out of pools!!! I'm gonna place Mario where he belongs!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Matador, inspiring words. I'll try not to get knocked out of pools at the Midwest Championships on the 20th.

I really shouldn't be getting knocked out of pools!!! I'm gonna place Mario where he belongs!
Don't run into the Lucario pool again >.>

Also, quick question, as stirring as your speeches are about getting more wins, how exactly does Ankoku's list consider wins withmultiple characters? (I've heard mixed opinions, and I'm just trying to see if I have any chance of reppin' Mario, or if I'm just cheering from the sidelines, since I absolutely am not good enough to play every matchup with him.)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Don't run into the Lucario pool again >.>

Also, quick question, as stirring as your speeches are about getting more wins, how exactly does Ankoku's list consider wins withmultiple characters? (I've heard mixed opinions, and I'm just trying to see if I have any chance of reppin' Mario, or if I'm just cheering from the sidelines, since I absolutely am not good enough to play every matchup with him.)
Those results still count. Whenever results are reported, multiple character users have the characters next to their names. For example:

1st Fromundaman Kirby/Wolf/Mario

As far as I know, all 3 characters are counted and the points on Ankoku's list are split between them. For each character to even be considered though, you have to have used him more than once or twice. It's also highly dependent on how many entrants there are. It's actually a well thought-out system.

You'll probably need a second to place, so by all means use one. Any representation helps though.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Personally, I think we need to focus more on improving his metagame. I don't see it really discussed, so it kinda sounds like its at a halt. If we can find a way to improve something like making the cape able to be really abused on certain characters or improve his air or ground game, it will show some people what Mario can do. Btw do you really mean any representation or placing high with the character? Like will even placing bad in a tourney help?

EDIT: We seriously need to get Boss back to playing Mario.

Matt07

Smash Master
Both, but obviously the higher you place the more noticed you will get. And also top 8 earn points from Ankoku's Characters Ranking thread. Just going to tournaments and showing what Mario can do alone, regardless of placements helps.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I am not pleased with this. Not at all.
Kirin and Famous do more than their fair share, they put up the results. Boss suddenly mains Luigi and just pretends to use Mario.

This is all bad.

Yeah I'm not gonna bull lie at all. Sure Luigi went up once, but Mario going down is something else man.

I know how I can place high.

Anybody know how to stop being nervous whenever you hear that pools start in 5 minutes???
I has nervous johns all the time. I go far too aggressive with mario and end up getting ike fsmash'd lol

Wdfsomebodyelsewholivesinindywhaaaat!?

I didn't know we had Luigi mains here... Wdf.
One is here... and others I'm lazy to name lol..

I'm going to try to make it to a tournament this weekend and tear it up. I also have one on the 13th. I'll do my best in that one too.
Dude we better ****ing **** that **** tomrrow. If anything, LOW TIERS MAN!! We need to wreck that **** in glass pieces. Our Marios need to wreck everythign D:

good luck mario mains.
Scrub u said u used mario in tourneys too lol

MW has Marios? I just noticed.. But ****ing **** them ******* son

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Both, but obviously the higher you place the more notice you will. And also top 8 earn points from Ankoku's Characters Ranking thread. Just going to tournaments and showing what Mario can do alone, regardless of placements helps.
Truth.

Being here and discussing what Mario can and can't do won't help us move up the tier list. It's all about representation and tourney rankings. If Marios go out and beat reputable Marth and D3 mains, do you think those matchups are going to remain 65:35 and 70:30 (respectively)? Very doubtful.

It shouldn't be this way, but the majority of SWF is easily swayed by results and generally ignores say-so. This means we need to shift our attention from this meaningless matchup discussion and put more effort into tourney placings and attendance. Even if it's simply getting top 8 consistently rather than beating your DSFs, Chillins, and Anthers, that's the direction we need to be going; myself more than anyone.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think this was an eye-opener for all of us.

Let's turn off the suck.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Matador....seriously....where you get all this kick*** attitude from?

Easier said than done for me to turn off the suck. I wish that my tournament attendance was as high as Matador's bad*** levels. =P

I'm still planning on Genesis though.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If that actually happens, we'll get Princess Toadstool to bake a cake for you.

**** some ***, guys.

I can see the results now.

Singles

1. KirinBlaze - Mario/Link
2. Hippie - Mario/Luigi
3. Mew2King - Mewtwo/Meta Knight

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Doesn't matter that we've dropped. Not one bit.
It matters quite a bit. Sure we know where Mario should be. Sure, there are tons of non-Mario mains that know where he should be. But does it matter? No. Not one bit. A character that is ranked low on the tier list will get less representation than character's that are ranked higher. The more representation your character gets, the faster his/her meta-game progresses, and the better the character becomes.

Mario dropping on the tier list only discourages people from using him. This is harmful to his meta-game and should not be viewed as something that doesn't matter.

Famous

Smash Champion
Were having a tourney down here this Sunday...Sadly I have no money which means...

1. Find someone to pay for my venue and doubles fee...
2. Place 1st in teams(more than likely will happen)
3.Pay them back with the winnings and shread singles
4.Profit from singles winnings

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The people that are already using him WON'T stray because of the tier list.
I can't think of anyone in the Mario community that would drop him for a high tier just because of this list.

Famous

Smash Champion
Were having a tourney down here this Sunday...Sadly I have no money which means...

Matt07

Smash Master
WTF Kirin spread the love man :(.

Hmm...well I think we should all start testing stuff those who can for anything that can help Mario. I mean Cape, FLUDD, grabs, combos. I mean anything that can really help Mario.

His metagame can't be done already. Can it? :(.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It matters quite a bit. Sure we know where Mario should be. Sure, there are tons of non-Mario mains that know where he should be. But does it matter? No. Not one bit. A character that is ranked low on the tier list will get less representation than character's that are ranked higher. The more representation your character gets, the faster his/her meta-game progresses, and the better the character becomes.

Mario dropping on the tier list only discourages people from using him. This is harmful to his meta-game and should not be viewed as something that doesn't matter.
Maybe if he dropped drastically like ROB or DK has since the first list, but Mario's been in the same place the entire time. He and the Mother boys have been neighbors since the release of the game. Nobody's going to go through the tier list and see Mario and say "Oh...he's 30th...I'm only considering 29th and up...*picks Lucas*".

If Metaknight were magically bottom tier, would people hop off his ridiculously crowded bandwagon? No, probably not. If a character's good, then a character's good, and SBR voting in the backroom doesn't change that. You're right, we may lose an indecisive scrub here or there to Lucas or Ike. But is that really going to hold us back from taking our rightful spot on the next tier list? Doubtful.

I see what you're getting at, and I agree that we shouldn't just write off our tier position as feckless when it doesn't reflect our opinions. "It doesn't matter" is referring to those who may be thinking that Mario BELONGS here; that, as a character, he's incapable of reaching past the low tier threshold.

Edit @ Matt: If his metagame's finished, none of us have reached Boss-status, so we all have more to reach for. Even then, Cape and Fludd especially are untapped imo.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285

Oh wait... AND ROFL STARKED. I need a name change.

Top Bottom