• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

DJayS

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else ever approach with FLUDD? Its unexpected, and can catch your opponent offguard. Jump>Fireball>FLUDD is a good mixup.
when onstage i like 2 fludd them whenever they're at the edge :)
it pushes them offstage and they could be open for a gimp or even a spike ;)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
All of Kirby's aerials have quite a bit of FIHL on them. That's why it's very good against Kirby, FIHL -> Usmash is a good finisher on im'.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Right, but if you catch his up-b in FIHL he is stuck in the stream of water until it runs out because of his up-B staying out until he touches the ground.

Famous

Smash Champion
when jab canceling, after jabbing, does it matter if you tap down or not?
or are you suppose to tap down?
I know that it's suppose to cancel the lag but either way I don't really see any speed difference when busting out smashes or grabs >.<
It resets the timing when you actually hit your opponent...If you don't press down you may continue the jab combo

Vato, to get fast all you have to do is know the timing of when moves end and auto-cancel

Work on isai dropping through platforms and running right after fastfalling Bairs, Nairs and Uairs...

Knowing the timing of when the arials auto-cancel is key

There is more to it but I
'll leave it for another time...this post is sloppy enough, lol

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
so lm looking forward to me and kirin's tourney this saturday, and the low tier event, l was wondering what are your guise input on Frigate? l mean when l was fighting a CF and sadly getting wrecked loool, made me realize the transformation where theres only a edge to grab on the left and nothing on the right, is perfect tool for gimping. So whatcha guise think about Frigate? XD mostly on low tier cast

UberMario

Smash Master
Does anyone else think that FLUDD was badly programmed? (Not in the sense that it's a bad move, it just seems so glitchy)

Veggi

Smash Champion
There is a stickied thread created by someone named "firemario" he has a great thread with lots of videos on how to play Mario. Watch those, if you want to see how a good Mario plays, search for Boss on Youtube.

Jeremy Smith

Smash Apprentice
actually i just came back to smash after a 6 month hiatus and i randomly saw his guide on youtube ... hes the reason im bringing in mario as a main. I dont think his videos will be good on an ipod however as i wont be able to read the writing. I believe i saw a boss match or two, if hes who im thinking of i will deffinetly be checking out more footage.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
i need some training w/ mario, like can anyone help me, i need to learn some combos...

anyone got some videos i can watch?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
All of Mario's combos are escapable.

You could watch, you know, DTM3 that was just released.

Matt07

Smash Master
That, and check out videos of Boss, and other top Mario players at Monk's video archive.

Oh how could I forget! FireMario's video guides is wonderful to teach you stuff about Mario.

Famous

Smash Champion
Yeah, most of my videos are in Monks thread as well...

I have some replays I never uploaded yet...I'll try to get them up soon. I'm saving everything next event I go to...

Lol, remember that "Marth" practice video? Anyone think I should make one like that?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
It seem that in other Mario games like Mario baseball luigi is weaker then Mario but in Brawl his attacks are stronger. Please don't answer this I just filled like saying this.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have problems hittting Pikachu,Kirby,ICs,and Olimar with SH U-air and B-air.
Any tips?:urg:
Why are you trying so hard to do something that doesn't work?

Vs Pikachu and Kirby, you should be camping them because you outcamp them. Buffering SH double B-airs is good when you need to hit them.

The Ice Climbers...D-air more. Cape or Fireball if they Blizzard. Fireball camp over their heads.

Vs Olimar, D-air more. SH D-air -> N-air/U-air -> Jab cannot be shieldgrabbed.

UberMario

Smash Master
uhmm...what exactly d'you mean with.."glitchy"???lol
Well, it defies friction, works as a reflector, and can LIFT PEOPLE OFF THE GROUND! LOL

It acts more like a rope than it does water.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Iv been having trouble approaching Falco using Mario....its because of that gun yea Mario can reflect but its not a strong enough reflecter for Falco's reflecter because he can hold his mario can't.
How do I get pass that.

UberMario

Smash Master
>_> Falco can hold his reflector as much as Mario can, and if it ever results in "Laser Tennis" you can just jump.

Also FLUDD > Both of Falco's recoveries, so always keep it charged.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
lol i personally spam fireballs due to the fact that marths game is baced on spacing
his fair outranges marios bair so you can't space him as good as he does
play campy,mash on the b button keep him above you cuz our upairs absolutly kick marths ***
edgeguard him with nair or stage spike him

lol marth isn't that bad for mario
i hate fightin' falco and olimar
any tips guys?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I suggest you try FLUDD more.

I hate fighting Falcos, no advice here. Olimar lacks priority; stay low and Nair as often as possible.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
lol i personally spam fireballs due to the fact that marths game is baced on spacing
play campy,mash on the b button keep him above you cuz our upairs absolutly kick marths ***

any tips guys?
Well you have to tell us why you find them difficult, otherwise tips won't help what you're trying to solve.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I actually play sort of aggressively against Marth when up close. I will probably use fireballs when we are a distance apart, but if I'm able to get inside, I do it. Marth isn't a problem for me at all. I know exactly what I wanna do and I don't do too bad unless it's someone whose skill is a lot better than mine (Pierce). FIHL helps against him as well and FLUDD can also edgeguard him. Marth really isn't someone to fear that much. He is hard, but not that hard.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
how do you deal with hit and run snakes? like the ones that constantly stay back, throw nades at you till you approach, and at midrange they'll prolly DAC away, reset situation continue camping, or, if you get into close range, they'll tilt/DAC away AGAIn resetting situation, so what's marios options against this?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
how do you deal with hit and run snakes? like the ones that constantly stay back, throw nades at you till you approach, and at midrange they'll prolly DAC away, reset situation continue camping, or, if you get into close range, they'll tilt/DAC away AGAIn resetting situation, so what's marios options against this?
I play a Snake like this all the time and it's a super aggravating matchup.

The good part about this though is that you get to control where you are on stage, so you don't feel too pressed for space. The bad news is there are grenades in your space that you get to dance around, and a big wall of tilts that you're trying to take out.

Step 1 (Long Range): Learn how to consistently get inside his range with proper timing. Keep the space that he's giving you and try to throw a fireball while advancing that you can approach behind and know that a grenade won't block it. If a grenade blocks it you'll be left wide open and you may want to reset your options. Feel free to throw in reverse capes if he throws his nades too aggressively, or FLUDD them if he throws too softly. Always be mindful of a C4 if it's in the way and try to bait him to use it, and if it interrupts your approach then once again re-evaluate your attack. I almost never approach without a fireball, unless the Snake player is aggressive; but that's not what we're discussing ;)

Step 2 (Mid Range): Once you get inside midrange, then he will either sit in place or GTFO. You only have to guess 1 or of 2 options, and luckily enough only 1 of them requires real punishment! If he stays, keep pressing onward. If he's going to DACUS, Dsmash! It's very hard to punish this by reflex so you have to anticipate correctly.

Step 3 (Close Range): This is where you need to get your damage done, and where the toughest part of the matchup comes in.
  • If he sidesteps, you can Dair to pop him up, and try to keep him up. Alternatively, you can Nair on him, and jab/grab him out of it depending on whether you think he will shield or attack out of getting hit (will also give you more stage position to work with). You can also run up and stop with shield, therefore getting a grab. The riskiest method would be to charge an Usmash but you have to be 100% sure he will sidestep (you can also pivot grab depending on timing)! If you approach with a sidestep then it's a close race of who guesses right first, in which Snake should win this 90% of the time. Approaching with an airdodge, crossup or in front, will get you nailed.
  • If he Ftilts, you need to anticipate that in advance. Hit his blindspot which is just above the Ftilt (but only before the second hit) with a Cape or Bair. Sidestepping will almost never evade the Ftilt, and you'll never get close enough to grab. If you stop with a shield, then you will get pushed away and eat a lot of shield damage, but the situation will be reset so no real harm done. Approaching with crossup airdodge will work if he commits with Ftilts a lot (does both hits all the time). Rolling behind will work for the same reason.
  • If he Utilts, then the airdodge/rolling/sidestep options are even better, but the cape/bair are worse. You'll also die if you get hit, lol.
  • If he grabs, then the situation is about the same as Utilt.
  • If he waits in shield, then you need you attack and try to get a shieldstab (crossup too so that he won't know where you'll land), or grab. You can't do any of the defensive options.
  • If he jabs...good luck lol. That move is broken. I guess you can cape it.
  • If he tries to DACUS, chances are any offensive maneuver you do will catch his attempt.

It's a tough matchup because you have many options that only cover specific options, and his options cover so many of yours. I only suggest following behind a fireball because it forces him to have to be a bit more defensive, therefore opening up more offensive options for you, which = more damage in the end.

Keep in mind that by using the short hop cape between steps 2 and 3 (preferrably reversed so you can Bair out of it), you can bait him into using an Ftilt or Grab out of range, which will give you a free Bair and an opening to follow up, or a reset which gave you free damage anyways.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
If he throws uncooked grenades, catch them and throw em back. This can give you and opening. Being able to catch is important for his MU and for Diddy as well. I'm not bad at it, but I'm not amazing. Fireball will stop his DACUS. I zone with fireballs and catch grenades until i get an opening. I don't think this MU is really hard though it is pretty hard. You have to be able to get past his camping and space your moves very well. For you hippie, I would possibly go Luigi. I do that sometimes because he has kill power.

BSP

Smash Legend

any tips guys?
This. Fludd and Fireballs, and go for some damage when you get an opening. Dont be on the offensive, just be patient.

Does anyone ever use mario's B throw? By the time it can kill, his up throw gets the job done better.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I disagree. Uthrow might kill at 180% on most with DI.

It's best used if you get a grab on a platform. Try it on Brinstar.

BSP

Smash Legend
I disagree. Uthrow might kill at 180% on most with DI.

It's best used if you get a grab on a platform. Try it on Brinstar.
so which throw would you say is a better k.o. move? or should i screw them both and use f throw?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
so which throw would you say is a better k.o. move? or should i screw them both and use f throw?
Bthrow is the better kill throw. Assuming they don't DI it properly, it can shoot them at an angle and kill much, much earlier than Uthrow ever will.

The way I see it, every throw has a use. Dthrow is your punisher throw. They have a few options out of it. Airdodge, which you can predict and punish. If you're fighting a Luigi, they'll probably Nair. Shield and punish. Pivot grab is they're gullible. Fthrow only has one use, throwing them off the stage. Don't use it otherwise. Uthrow is a bad killer. If you get a grab on a high platform, go for it. Especially on stages like RC. Bthrow is your best killer and damager. Use it more often than you would U/F.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I actually use Fthrow pretty often. It's easy to follow up after and does more damage than Dthrow.

Also keeps Bthrow fresh.

Top Bottom