• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Any questions you might have about Mario, ask them here.

Whether it's matchup inquiries, advice, or you're curious about his moves. Anything goes, here.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
When it comes to fludding, is the opponent's high aerial mobility a GOOD or BAD thing when trying to gimp? Specifically, does it push a character like Yoshi further than a character like MK? Or does it have more to do with character weights or fallspeed?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've found that it helps more against characters with lower aerial mobility. When fighting someone like Wario, it's almost like you're helping them ride a wave back to the stage. It usually pushes Meta Knight farther back because he falls a lot faster.

DJayS

Smash Apprentice
when jab canceling, after jabbing, does it matter if you tap down or not?
or are you suppose to tap down?
I know that it's suppose to cancel the lag but either way I don't really see any speed difference when busting out smashes or grabs >.<

FrankPizzi

Smash Apprentice
I've been having trouble approaching with Mario, I usually do a fireball N-air, d-air, full jump d-air, or an up-air, or b-air, does anyone know anyother approaches that can be used?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Anyone can answer questions, man. This isn't "Ask Straked your Mario questions", I'm not that stuck up or even good enough for a thread like that. Besides. If I made that the rule, I'd have no way to enforce it.

This is a community thing.

When can cancelling, tapping down is usually recommended. If you don't, you run the risk of unexpectedly jabbing a second time and getting punished for it. It doesn't cancel lag, it just ensures that you aren't getting any extra hits in.

Frank, you're doing it right. The best approach Mario has is fireball -> filler. Though you can substitute filler for "any spaced aerial".

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
When it comes to fludding, is the opponent's high aerial mobility a GOOD or BAD thing when trying to gimp? Specifically, does it push a character like Yoshi further than a character like MK? Or does it have more to do with character weights or fallspeed?
Kinda hard to decipher and put up a scenario for this. But just through theorycraft, I don't think they'll be pushed as far. but it could possibly have to do with fall speed and what not, I mean with like Snake, he seems to be pushed off pretty moderate or to average, I notice it with when he is holding a nade (not stripping btw). But depending on the character, it isn't ALWAYS bad if they are coming in high, it also means they are at disadvantage position varying on the character for example like Snake, we can pretty much do juggle traps. But lm just saying if they happen to be recovering high or something from a fludd.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Frank, you're doing it right. The best approach Mario has is fireball -> filler. Though you can substitute filler for "any spaced aerial".
Except Nair... don't approach with Nair. Hitting a shield with nair means damage. Damage isn't good (Unless your Lucario.)

Also, I've found tapping down after a jab doesn't help me at all -_-' but I've got the timing down really well on that anyway. Doesn't seem like it'd hurt if you're not lazy like me.

I can't believe I'm not curious one bit about anything Mario. Usually I have a ton of questions O_o

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Instead of saying "Don't approach with Fair", you chose Nair instead?

What?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Except Nair... don't approach with Nair. Hitting a shield with nair means damage. Damage isn't good (Unless your Lucario.)
.....What?

Hitting a shield with anything is bad. That's why you don't hit their shield...
Nair approach is also heavily dependent on the matchup.

vs Sonic, it's amazing.

In a ditto, it beats fireballs, which means you're going to eat the fireball and the Mario running behind it.

vs Marth, you're about to get ur **** wrecked approaching like that without a fireball ahead of you.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
.....What?

Hitting a shield with anything is bad. That's why you don't hit their shield...
Nair approach is also heavily dependent on the matchup.

vs Sonic, it's amazing.

In a ditto, it beats fireballs, which means you're going to eat the fireball and the Mario running behind it.

vs Marth, you're about to get ur **** wrecked approaching like that without a fireball ahead of you.
Going by this, is Fair a good approach versus... ANYONE, Xero? How often do you use Fair onstage?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Actually Matador, hitting a shield with Dair (on a character that isn't exceptionally large, or has a good up-b OoS) is unpunishable if you Toadstool -> Nair just as you start the toadstool. (But of course that's unnecessary if it shield pokes.)

But yeah, Nair is good when you DON'T predict a shield, but usually if I'm using it my opponent is charging me. I don't use it to approach because there are safer options.

I still make good use of Nair, but in other situations.

Also, Fair > Nair was a joke. Regardless of the fact that I put seriously there :D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Actually Matador, hitting a shield with Dair (on a character that isn't exceptionally large, or has a good up-b OoS) is unpunishable if you Toadstool -> Nair just as you start the toadstool. (But of course that's unnecessary if it shield pokes.)
That doesn't count. Dair is amazing.

But yeah, Nair is good when you DON'T predict a shield, but usually if I'm using it my opponent is charging me. I don't use it to approach because there are safer options.

I still make good use of Nair, but in other situations.

Also, Fair > Nair was a joke. Regardless of the fact that I put seriously there :D
I've seen Boss fastfall a nair, hit a D3's shield, and land out of range of his grab.

I've SHNair'd toward a glidetossing Diddy, picked up his nanner as it was thrown (by using Nair), and actually hit the Diddy with the weaker part of it. You also are aware that weak nair -> jab = true combo right?

I've Nair'd through TL's projectiles, Din's, D3's waddle dees, fireballs, and even things like Fox/falco's illusion on and offstage.

It's like you're a moving brickwall. Not unpunishable, but it's just a great tool to have; especially offstage or following a fireball.

DJayS

Smash Apprentice
When can cancelling, tapping down is usually recommended. If you don't, you run the risk of unexpectedly jabbing a second time and getting punished for it. It doesn't cancel lag, it just ensures that you aren't getting any extra hits in..
oh i c XD
thx :)

UberMario

Smash Master
Here's a question.

I think I might have thought of a new recovery tech using FLUDD.

If you're hit off the side of the screen, cape away from the stage, then immediately hold the stick towards the stage. Use FLUDD to cancel your horizontal momentum, cape to face right, then Super Jump Punch.

How useful is this if you're too low to recover normally OR your momentum was going to take you out anyway?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You look for those grabs. Always look for a opening. Simple stuff like a fireball approach, your moving forward behind a fireball, they usually put their shield up for the fireball and since your moving right behind the fireball, you just got a free grab.

Other things include mistakes, laggy attacks, shield grabs, y'know those things. Observation and shiznit.

Also jab to grab is viable. Our aerials lead to another things, so such as weak bair > grab.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Here's a question.

If you're hit off the side of the screen, cape away from the stage, then immediately hold the stick towards the stage. Use FLUDD to cancel your horizontal momentum, cape to face right, then Super Jump Punch.

How useful is this if you're too low to recover normally OR your momentum was going to take you out anyway?
Mario boards are really dead lately, so don't expect feedback too quickly sadly sry :(

I don't know how to answer this, but try my best; if your too low to recover.. let's say already past below BF's edge, you might as well do DJ upb. Since fludd kinda gives you that huge push back thing, but goes lower and lower.

Though l think your trying to say, if your hit upper blast zone, just cape opposite from stage, use the fludd for horizontal momentum, then upb. That's how l interpreted it :/

Veggi

Smash Champion
Special moves can not be used to get cancel hit stun, if you use a special move it will actually give you a boost upwards and in the direction the hitstun is sending you. So if you caped, you would hit the blast zone before you could use FLUDD.

In most cases on normal stages, you can get two uairs at most before you die. So if you did uair to cape you would probably be past the blazt zone before you could get out of the lag from your cape. I really doubt the cape would even finish. Mario's fair is faster than his cape and he can barely do two. Trying to wait for his FLUDD to activate would probably not work. I guess you could try it, but instead of what you suggested, do uair>cape>FLUDD and hope you don't go out of the boundary by that 5time.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Here's a question.

No. I've tested this thoroughly. It's more useful to Momentum Cancel with Uair into a double jump. No matter what kind of situation your in, FLUDD will not keep you living longer when your off the stage. Plus, cape is slow as **** if you're flying towards a blast zone, there's no reason to use it either.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
No. I've tested this thoroughly. It's more useful to Momentum Cancel with Uair into a double jump. No matter what kind of situation your in, FLUDD will not keep you living longer when your off the stage. Plus, cape is slow as **** if you're flying towards a blast zone, there's no reason to use it either.
Unless you're boosted far above the stage and off to a horizontal blast zone (this will probably only happen if you DI good). Momentum cancel with your Uair, reverse cape, and then use the FLUDD to propel yourself back towards the stage. That way, you keep your double jump and aren't at risk of being edgeguarded/hogged due to having only your recovery left when you're getting back near the stage.

Matt07

Smash Master
What about vertically? Mario sucks at DI'ing vertically, or I do really bad.

Just today I did an u-air, and a DJ when I was sent up vertically (LOL!) How do you guys switch between horizontal and vertically DI? I'm not used to vertically DI'ing at all. Mash on control stick, and down on c-stick?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
What about vertically? Mario sucks at DI'ing vertically, or I do really bad.

Just today I did an u-air, and a DJ when I was sent up vertically (LOL!) How do you guys switch between horizontal and vertically DI? I'm not used to vertically DI'ing at all. Mash on control stick, and down on c-stick?
I personally still use Uair when being launched vertically. DI towards the side as you do so, don't use your double jump because it's not neccessary as it won't get you to one of the corners. If your good enough, try to SDI towards the side you want to get launched at while your being hit. Don't forget that fastfall!

UberMario

Smash Master
Is planking to be aggressive still considered stalling?

I.E. when i get to 150%, I ledgehop to throw a fireball, and, if they get to close, UpAerial to knock them back into fireball range while repeatedly grabbing the ledge.

The reason I'm asking this is because if they stay out of range, I get up and attack normally since I'm not intending to stall.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
When using the superman combo, are you supposed to hit them with the cape glide? ie; if a 'dorf is recovering, cape glide his up-b then FLUDD him to the pits of hell?

What do you do when facing an annoying Falco? cg and lasers are hard to get around, any suggestions?

UberMario

Smash Master
When using the superman combo, are you supposed to hit them with the cape glide? ie; if a 'dorf is recovering, cape glide his up-b then FLUDD him to the pits of hell?

What do you do when facing an annoying Falco? cg and lasers are hard to get around, any suggestions?
Against ganon, I just keep caping him over and over once he gets off the field.
Most of the time I wouldn't risk a cape glide against Falcon or Ganon because of their side bs.

FLUDD beats Phantasm and Fire Falco, and caped lasers go right through regular lasers.

Just stay in the air if he's CG happy.

(If someone can answer my other question I'd be very happy)

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Is planking to be aggressive still considered stalling?

I.E. when i get to 150%, I ledgehop to throw a fireball, and, if they get to close, UpAerial to knock them back into fireball range while repeatedly grabbing the ledge.

The reason I'm asking this is because if they stay out of range, I get up and attack normally since I'm not intending to stall.
Yes, planking by definition is stalling.

Mario is good at stalling on the ledge, but normally I wouldn't recommend it. Being on the ledge is disadvantageous unless you are ledge hogging, simply because it limits your options and gives your opponent a chance to punish. On the ledge, you can (1) stall, (2) stand-up, (3) get-up attack, (4) roll off the ledge, or (5) ledge drop attack.

Mario's playstyle doesn't really fit well with ledge camping, other then when attempting gimps. He's more of an aggressive combo oriented character, and you really can't do that from the ledge.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yes, planking by definition is stalling.

Mario is good at stalling on the ledge, but normally I wouldn't recommend it. Being on the ledge is disadvantageous unless you are ledge hogging, simply because it limits your options and gives your opponent a chance to punish. On the ledge, you can (1) stall, (2) stand-up, (3) get-up attack, (4) roll off the ledge, or (5) ledge drop attack.

Mario's playstyle doesn't really fit well with ledge camping, other then when attempting gimps. He's more of an aggressive combo oriented character, and you really can't do that from the ledge.
Sorry, but that's not what I meant, I keep jumping from an edge-grab, firing a fireball, then grab the ledge again WITHOUT touching the stage. If they get to close, I UpAerial them instead of fireballing. If they get too far I get back onto the ledge to fight normally.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sorry, but that's not what I meant, I keep jumping from an edge-grab, firing a fireball, then grab the ledge again WITHOUT touching the stage. If they get to close, I UpAerial them instead of fireballing. If they get too far I get back onto the ledge to fight normally.
That's not planking, that's just effectively playing the ledge.

Planking would mean that if they get too far from you, you just stay on the ledge like you normally would. Someone planking doesn't intend to approach their opponent.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
On BF, if you are on the platforms, would cape glide/dash towards the middle of the stage, then FLUDDing your opponent be effective mindgames? Totes Cape dash for a Superman combo onstage.

On a more relevant and less pointless note, how can you pull off a fair onstage to setup for a jab lock?

UberMario

Smash Master
That's not planking, that's just effectively playing the ledge.

Planking would mean that if they get too far from you, you just stay on the ledge like you normally would. Someone planking doesn't intend to approach their opponent.
Thanks for the info. :)

shinyspoon42 said:
On BF, if you are on the platforms, would cape glide/dash towards the middle of the stage, then FLUDDing your opponent be effective mindgames? Totes Cape dash for a Superman combo onstage.
Strange idea, but it should work.

shinyspoon42 said:
On a more relevant and less pointless note, how can you pull off a fair onstage to setup for a jab lock?
Try to either anticipate a short hop by the opponent or FLUDD them into an UpTilt to FAir, although you have a better chance doing the former than the latter.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
If you've learned how to time a cape dash to go the farthest, on BF you can cape dash back and forth on the two platforms. Not especially useful, but its flashy and cool looking.

Does anyone else ever approach with FLUDD? Its unexpected, and can catch your opponent offguard. Jump>Fireball>FLUDD is a good mixup.

UberMario

Smash Master
Does anyone else ever approach with FLUDD? Its unexpected, and can catch your opponent offguard. Jump>Fireball>FLUDD is a good mixup.
No, but I defend with FLUDD. It would just force them away most of the time.

You can just sit there and force them to approach and FLUDD them right into a FSmash/Grab

How many people (other than me) rarely use fireballs/ use FLUDD more than fireballs?

Top Bottom