• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: Lil Gerald!

Matt07

Smash Master
XeroXen

Q. Where would you rank yourself on a Mario power rankings, if we were to have them?
A. In the top 3, no joke. Mabye that's just my arrogance but I really think I'm that good. Or was, I'm not sure how good I am anymore.

Q. When's the last time you played Bo?
A. November, I think.

Q. Am I cool with you dude?
A. Totally, I mean I used to dislike you but you're pretty cool now that I know you're not totally stupid. =D

Q. Anyways, what's it like being a successful troll, Xero?
A. It's opened a lot of doors and possibilities, I've been offered money because of my trolling skills. My Mario has even improved because of it!

Q. Whats your favorite move in each catagory?
Ground atks: Dtilt
Aerial atks: Fair
Specials: Up-B
Throws: Fthrow
Smashes: Usmash
Taunts: UTaunt
Short hop, full hop or second jump?: Second Jump, everybody should know why.
Victory Pose: I don't really pay attention... the one with the fire.
Roll or spot dodge: Spot Dodge, he looks pretty cool doing it, but it's still bad.
Sound effect: WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Q. do you love me enough to have the gayest mario orgy in apex if you do decide to come?
A. No Mario orgys, that would be weird.

Q. you love me all for homo in all for gayness?
A. No homo.

Q. your thoughts about my ****ty mario? :D
A. Your Mario sucks, gtfo. Just kidding! I'm sure it's good I haven't really been paying attention lately.

Q. your troll powers..... unbelievably ****, how do you do it?
A. Lots of practice, and determination!

Q. Scarlett Johansson, would you want her inside ur pants????
A. I don't even know who she is!

Q. Do you know a lot of memes and about /b/ and ED and other ****?
lol
A. I think it's a 4Chan reference, but I can't be sure.

Q. What's ur most treasured tourney set?
A. Hmmmmmmmmm, I have no idea! There's so many and I'm not even sure. Mabye me vs. Hilt last November because I killed him with an Up-B suicide and still 2 stocked him that game! =D

Q. What is the matchup that you have the most difficulty in (sans MK)?
A. Besides MK... mabye Kirby, or Lucario, or DDD. Those are my most hated matchups besides MK.

Q. What is the matchup you have the easiest time with?
A. Actually, I'm pretty good against Olimar! And I think Captain Falcon is really easy too, Luigi is sort've easy too, for me anyway.

Q. Who would you consider your "rival(s)" in the MW or otherwise?
A. My rivals are probably Mario mains who are considered better than me haha! At least in my mind.

Q. Who do you enjoy playing against the most?
A. I really enjoy playing against other Marios as a learning and teaching experience. I also enjoy getting together with the people in my town and playing smash with them, even though their not very good. Basically, I like playing most people as long as they don't get too worked up about friendlies haha!

Q. The least?
A. Anybody who plays Lucas.

Q. What do you think your strongest area is, in terms of Mario?
A. My strongest area is probably being able to respond to situations with the right moves, and my great OoS game and really awesome spacing!

Q. Weakest?
A. I fall for dumb stuff that shouldn't work alot, and I get a little too aggressive and like to fall right into the enemy's traps, which I've been working on.

Q. Do nerves come in to play when you start a set?
A. Yes! Nerves affected me much more before than they used to, however you can still usually see me shaking before the first tourney game (and after, if it was really close... and the set after) it's just so intense for me, but I love the rush!

Q. Are you a player that needs to get off to a quick start to win matches/sets?
A. Oddly, I don't actually start getting warmed up until the END. I do alot of comebacks because I spend most of the game analyzing the opponent as I play, but I've been working on trying to stay consistent throughout the game rather than at the end.

Q. Do you enjoy the MW smash scene?
A. The MW smash scene is the best, everybody is supercool and doesn't afraid of anything.

Q. XeroXen, who is this noob above me?
A. That would be my son, XeroXennie.

Q. What game systems do you own?
A. I own (not counting retro systems), a Wii... and that's it. Counting old systems, I have a SNES, Genesis, N64, PS2, GBC, GBA, and that's it, my DS has gone missing D:

Q. Xero; How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck if a Woodchuck could Chuck Norris?
A. That's illogical, Chuck Norris would equal an infinite amount of wood, which no Woodchuck could chuck.

Q. xero ur thoughts on tl/mario in teams? TL/Mario?
A. I have no idea, I've never even played a Toon Link!!! It seems like it could work out... kind've, mabye.

Q. am i the cutest mario in the nation?
A. You're ranked #1 on the Mario Cute Power Rankings.

Q. your regular playstyle with mario?
A. I typically force them to approach or put them in an undesirable position and punish with moves, if I'll see an opening I'll go for a small combo and retreat, rinse and repeat. It's pretty great, regardless of how basic it may sound.

Q. how do you usually start off the match?
A. Usually with a fireball of some kind... or a forward air!

Q. which habits do you pick on when ur fighting in a tourney set?
A. I'll notice defensive/offensive habits that the opponent has and change my defensive and offensive options accordingly, unless I'm really tired. Or, if I don't care, I will just keep falling for the same things! (Or if I don't know how to deal with it, in which case I'll keep testing ways around it.)

Q. Xero, what is your least favorite character in Brawl to play as?
A. Pit. Pit. Pit. Pit. Lucas. Pit. Pit.

Q. A lot of people have been dumbfounded by how much you seem to improve between tournaments. How do you do it?
A. Not only do I practice with other people and practice my technical ability, but I also spend quite a bit of time analytically thinking about the game, whether it be through sheer speculation or by watching videos. I think the more exposure that a person has to the game, the better they will be, regardless of what kind of exposure.

Q. Now that you have your license, will you come to Muncie and teach me Mario?
A. Whenever I get a car and gas, I'll try!

Q. Are you considering going to the Showdown weekend after MLG?
A. Honestly, it doesn't look like it at the moment unless I have leftover money, but if that's the case then I will!

Q. I know you haven't played my Mario since Nope's in... January was it? What did you think of it (if you remember)?
A. I don't remember much except that... well... I'm not even sure! I think I was finding openings and doing punishable things, but I can't remember very well.

Q. What advice would you give to new or struggling Mario mains?
A. Keep playing the game and try to find your own tricks. I, for one, took a vow not to watch any other videos of any other Marios because I wanted to develop my own style of play, and stuff. I still don't watch videos very often unless I critique them or it's a combo video or something.

Q. Do you put in a lot of practice when you're on your own? When I'm on my own?
A. I might do some WiFi, but before WiFi I ALWAYS practice tech skill against computers beforehand, and it usually helps out.

Q. Who do you think are other solid or great Mario mains, if you pay attention to that?
A. I think the other great Mario mains are Famous, KirinBlaze looks pretty solid, A2Z is pretty smart (I haven't seen vids though), and Boss... I guess (I'm pretty biased against Boss).

Q. Why do you hate Mario dittos so much?
A. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j27_uUU-ECM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGpy...eature=related

Q. What kind of music do you like?
A. I'm into anything awesome, really. I listen to some Japanese stuff and random video game music, too.

Q. What kind of movies do you like?
A. Usually comedies or some awesome sci-fi from time to time, I'm also a big fan of horrible movies, too.

Q. What is something you think you could improve on with your Mario (if anything?)
A. My decision making, I always do stupid things that get me punished, especially in friendlies when I'm messing around GO FORWARD AIR!

Q. What is something that you think makes your Mario more unique than others?
A. I'll do alot of risky things just for the fun of it, and I like messing around with different things to see what happens...

Q. What's the single most ridiculous move/combo/whatever you've ever pulled off in Brawl with Mario?
A. Honestly, I can't tell you. I've done too many awesome things. Perhaps maybe comboing Hilt off the stage to kill with a suicide up-b on accident, that was pretty funny I guess.

Q. What's the single most ridiculous move/combo/whatever you've ever pulled off in Brawl with anyone else?
A. I don't ever use any other character, really.

Q. rules of adapting?
A. There are no rules really, you just get used to **** and make sure you don't get hit by the same thing... I guess it's paying attention? Sort've?

Q. Did you know approaching SH fludd ***** mk?
A. Really? Because that doesn't work when I try it.

Q. how well are you with handling mario's tools?
A. I didn't really ever use FLUDD before MLG, but I saw KirinBlaze using it in a different way and I started using it randomly to see what happens. I'm way better with the cape than I am the Fludd, though. Although I'm much better with every other move he has like UP-B!!!!!

Q. your first win on a ranked player? how did it feel?
A. I don't even remember my first win on a ranked player, I just know I've beaten quite a few. I guess it feels good, just like beating anybody else, really.

Q. how do you punish and read rolls?
A. Generally if people roll they have a habit of doing it, which can easily be read and punished. Plus, many characters have slow rolls that I can just as easily react to, except like Lucario and Metaknight.

Q. Will hippiedude accept me as his long-lost brother?
A. Hippydude would accept anyone as his long-lost brother!!!

Q. How can you possibly be biased against Boss? His 08 Mario is better than 90% of our current Marios.
A. Well, I saw Boss's Mario at MLG and I was unimpressed to say the least. I don't know, I've just never found Boss's Mario to be with the metagame, the only reason he can be considered "better" than other Marios is because he's a **** good player.

Q. with boss,a2z,myself,kirin,box7 no longer maining mario who will step up with the tournament results?
A. Well, I guess every Mario wants to step up their tournament results, I know I'm just gonna keep going to tournaments and doing my best. If I don't run into MK I should do pretty well.

Q. How do you feel about Lucas's Pk fire?
A. **** you Joey.

Q. How do you feel about Lucario's aura?
A. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Q. How do you feel about Metaknight's Tornado?
A. I Fair'd a MK out of tornado... twice, in a row. Otherwise, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Q. What's the deal with airline food?
A. Well, you see airline food is very inexpensive and allows the airport to make loads of money off their cheap food that they sell to you. Even the "good" food is actually just overpriced **** that they sell in order t- I have no ****ing idea.

Q. Xero, what's your opinion of all these 3-word nonsense posts in the interview thread?
A. I hate all of them.

Q. do you think there can be potential for fludd in the future?
A. Sure, I've been messing around with it and it's been working out pretty well. I just need to play more with it. There's **** you can do with it, though.

Q. Who did you end up playing in friendlies and MM's at MLG and what were the results?
A. Waaaaaaaaay too long for me to want to post, but I played KirinBlaze and that was pretty fun.

Q. How was your first MLG experience? Would you do it again?
A. MLG rocked, it was a great tournament (except for the seeding), and I'd definitely do it again.

Q. When are going to stop being lazy and start answering your questions?
A. NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Q. do you think players who seriously do their research and train and find stuff like m2k does, will be the ones who can fight MK like a man? when can u be cute as me???

A. Well, I'm sure somebody COULD be as good as M2K, the only thing is that they'd have to play a character just as good as his (MK) in order to actually beat him. M2K can combine the fact that he's an amazing player with the fact that he plays a broken as **** character, effectively making him able to beat anybody in the **** world at this game while sandbagging.

And I was cuter than you 7 years ago.

Q. Do you think hippiedude is on helium?
A. Helium? I think you mean acid.

Q. Did u play Boss' Mario?
A. I asked to friendly but he was like "Nah, too tired." and then I couldn't find another opportunity to play him. Although I was more interested in playing his Luigi.

Q. which character do you feel takes the most time killing?
A. Wario or Snake

Q. who would you consider the Best Mario at the moment?
A. I don't know who the best Mario is, but Joey is the best online Mario, totally.

Q. would you like to play a few matches with me on Wifi?
A. Maybe eventually, however I'm not home very often and when I'm home I'm usually doing other things.

Q. xero can i be ur long lost brother???? lets be doubles gods kk?
A. I already have like 3 long lost brothers, I can't have anymore.

And sure, let's be doubles gods.

Q. Xero...how do you feel about this "MATADOR!" advertisement that Smashboards has now?
A. Pretty epic huh? It's like the site is greeting me.

ME AND CALEB WERE TALKING ABOUT THAT! PLUS, AT MLG THERE WERE MODELS THAT HAD "MATADOR" ON THEIR SHIRTS, IT WAS HILARIOUS!

Q. Xero, when did you start playing Smash, and when did you start playing competitively?
A. I started playing smash back in the good old Smash64 days as like a 5 year old, I think I played Jigglypuff for the few times I played. I played Melee alot in like 3rd grade, and I was the best in my school at it! Then I got into Brawl on it's launch, the first character I played was Metaknight.

Competitive Brawl was different because a gaming club started at my school right, and I was better than everybody except ONE person, who was semi-competitive in his own right (and is now my crewmate.) well he taught me some advanced stuff and I wanted to learn even more so I found smashboards and started watching combo videos and reading Mario tutorials because he was my best character. So yeah, we went to our first tourney and got *****... just like every other tourney there was.

Q. Can I be your long lost sister? If not sister, transgender?
A. I have a sister, she's annoying... I don't want another one, so no!

Q. And finally, why are scrawny white men so ****ing sexy????????
A. Because people like me and Caleb exist!

Q. How do you feel about my skills as a player?
A. I haven't even played you since... Holy House 2!!! I'm sure we've both improved since then, and you were pretty good back then, too.

Q. Have you ever thought about dropping mario?
A. Apparently you haven't been around very long, let's just say YES. YES. YES. And then I realized I can't play any other character.

Q. What is the correct pronunciation of 'XeroXen'?
A. Honestly, I don't know if there's any "Correct" pronunciation of 'XeroXen', although most people pronounce it ZeroZen, however I've also been called ExeroExen before by multiple people.

But usually it's ZeroZen... which is what I intended for the pronunciation, so we'll go with that.

Q. how did you get the name xeroxen?
A. it's actually because i had zero zen in an online game (zen was a form of currency, don't ask me), and i was like "i just want zen" and expressed my anger with the name "xeroxen", because i thought x was way cooler than z.

Q. are you for the mk ban for 6 months?
A. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!! Ban that ****!

Q. do you have any rivals?
A. i'm not actually sure, if you consider people who i have lots of close games with as "rivals", then i'd have quite a few. Hilt, count, joey would be a few examples of people i almost always have close games with. You could also consider some of my "rivals" as people i'm getting better to try to beat, namely krystedez at the moment. (although my games with krystedez are pretty close too.)

Q. Are you going to stomp me next tournament?
A. You know it!

Q. favorite low tier character besides mario?
A. My favorite low tier character isn't even Mario. It's Jigglypuff, she's soooooooo fun to play.

Famous

Smash Champion
If you all dont come to APEX then you'll never get the chance to play me....for this year.

Good Work Updating

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Juu! When are you going to beat me with your Mario!? Don't hold back either, make it a 2 stock or something. That would be super hardcore.

SKidd

Smash Master
How do you pronouce Juushichi?
Do you play WiFi, and if so, will you play me?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I guess I'll start answering questions in threes:

1. Hopefully, really soon. Don't really have an immediate timetable. Somehow, I'm still getting better at a good pace: IE, my placing's gotten better with just about each tournament, but I still end up running into the same people I lose to all the time. (See: AZ, Blue Rouge, Mr. E) Looking forward to seeing both you and Caleb and showing you all how I've improved.

2. You pronounce it "Joo-she-ichi", though a lot of people have given up and just called me Juu. Which is also fine. I do play wifi when I'm at home, but unfortunately I'm at school and don't really have the time on this faster pace. I would love to play everyone when I get a chance to.

3. Well, there's a couple of reasons... probably. First off, I'm relatively new to the competitive tournament Smash scene (Since ~ November) and didn't start off maining Mario. I danced around from Pit to Toon Link to like Kirby while playing Mario just for fun. Also, I'm from the Midwest (Ohio) and I'm just barely placing at about intermediate level. Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to place there. Granted, I've only been to like six tournaments.

SKidd

Smash Master
Why is hippie so **** weird?

And what are these changes going on in my body!?!?!???

and by joo, do you mean jew? (no racist)

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
4. I dunno, 'cause he's a hippie? The changes in your body are probably from the mushroom. Make sure that you only eat the red ones and green ones, though. Finally, no. I was thinking about the pronunciation of it as I was going through it, but J-ew is too harsh of a sound for it to work with the rest of it. Plus, that's not the way it sounds when you're speaking Japanese.

5. Obviously, I'm very biased about my region but I have nothing but positive things to say about the scene here in Ohio. There are tons of players in any given part of the state (Northeast - NEOH, Northwest - NWOH [lol], Central - Columbus/etc [which is where I'm from], Southwest - Cincinnati/upper Kentucky and Southeast - OUGA [Ohio University, mostly]). There is a lot of character variation from the best of our players to the lesser known and everyone is chill with each other, for the most part. That even bleeds over to states like Indiana and Kentucky who constantly come in state for tourneys as well. The tourneys are pretty competitive, but still have a pretty casual feel to them, which is something I love about the region.

6. I like it, truth be told. I think it's born a bit from the fact that a lot of regions think that the Midwest is trash and that the liberal stage list does... something to the legitimacy of our playing and just the midwest feel in general. The MW is a very chill, homely area for the most part. We prefer to just show what we can do and have fun, while also generating a lot of hype (ex. GOD KAIS!)

7. Unfortunately, no. I don't have the funds or the time away from school to travel like that... as much as I would like to.

8. I main Mario because... I dunno, I guess he fits my play style. It's kind of cool how many options that I think he has for a lot of situations, though overall they're not great options. I like playing balanced characters and he's more appealing than playing other characters. I've tried higher tiered characters and didn't like them and I can play a lot of mid-tiers sort of decently, but they don't make me want to play them like I want to play Mario.

9. Sure?

10. My favorite hands down is Fire Mario. He just looks so cool. I've been playing more with various colors, though.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Whats Your favorite move in each catagory of Mario's

Basics:
Aerials:
Specail:
Smashes:
Throws:
Taunt:
Victory pose:
_________
What character do you lkike to beat down on most?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
11. Currently? Brawl, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Kart DS (because I only own a Wii and DS). In the past, just about all of them at one point.

12. Basics: Hm... it's a three way tie between Jab/Ftilt/Utilt
Aerials: Fair, lol. (Most used is Uair and Dair)
Special: Fireball
Smashes: Up-smash!
Throws: I love Back Throw, lol.
Taunt: Side taunt, where he removes his hat and spins.
Victory pose: The SH uppercut and then he poses like he's a bodybuilder or something, lol.
Favorite character to beat down on? Diddy Kong. Fighting Diddy's are so much fun!

13. Favorite texture hack? Master Higgins! (Blaine and Flint are close!)

14. The connotation that "scrub" comes with is something that makes me hesitant from labeling people it (most of all my fellow Mario players), but yeah, I'd probably agree with you. There are a few reasons that this is probably true: older, top marios are leaving the character leaving empty mentor roles, he's not really popular, and there isn't a whole lot of synergy and collab between the Mario mains that are still around. I know the MW Mario's are pretty close (Calebyte, XeroXen and myself) and personally, I'd love to see more of us around and hype them up/cheer them on. Ohio has like 4 or 5, but unfortunately, I haven't seen them.

15. Well, Cale, you're well on your way, however I would suggest you follow the three examples below:
Ichi!
Ni!
San!

These will let you know everything you need.

SKidd

Smash Master
Lol Vato

you can teach me =D
or if not you can teach me to troll :[

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Juu: Why Mario? You didn't start out as Mario, so what made you decide to main him?

Favorite people to play?

Favorite match-up to play?

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I am still laughing at the youtube videos Juushichi post to answer calebyte.

Do you think you will Main mario if they make another SSB?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
16. Currently, my favorite anime is Gintama. My favorite manga... is probably Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei, which is where my sig/av set is from, is up there pretty close too.

17. You know? I can't even say for sure myself, why I play Mario. I just like playing him a lot. He's fun and I guess I'm a bit of a masochist, lol. Gotta earn my kills and wins the hard way. I guess I'm weird like that.

18. My favorite people to play? I love playing against Links24. We have a running joke about "being flashy" whenever we play. Not only do we compete with each other (I'm not afraid to admit that he's better than me... for now) but we also do it while doing the coolest **** possible while competing. It's always really fun. I doubt anyone knows him, but I also like playing against my friend whose tag is SoulPech. He's a Jigglypuff main who I used to go to school with and play a whole lot, we go back and forth and used to **** pretty well on the semi-competitive (that is, non SWF) scene. Both of us have gotten a whole lot better.

In terms of a group (or region, I guess, lol), the most fun I have playing against people are against the INKY crew. Today, Hilt, Crash, Joey, Composer and all those familiar faces.

19. This question's a little tricky. I would like to say Diddy, because that's a matchup that's never been particularly annoying to me and it showcases some of Mario's abilities to handle certain styles of play... but I would have to say my favorite matchup is: Toon Link.

Both characters can be *****es in terms of camping, but I guess I don't notice it as much when I'm playing. Projectiles are flying around, spacing is really key and both characters have rather short melee ranges. It's one of those match-ups that gets my blood pumping, everything is so up tempo and you really have to think on your feet. My few matches against Quivo are a bit of the reason.

20. Yeah, I think I would main Mario in the next SSB game. I already main him or play him heavily in every incarnation. He's also my main in Brawl+ and Brawl- (he will be in Project: M, too).

SKidd

Smash Master
lolbrawl+lolbrawl-lolprojectm
screw those games, we have melee and 64 :\

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
21. I feel like they're not as active as they should be. I don't really know why. A lot of people play Mario, especially in Low Tiers and the like, but not a lot of them main Mario. There just isn't a whole lot of turnover and there isn't a lot of general interest. If you really look at it, we have a lot of tools:

We've got a great guide, we generally all know of each other, an interview thread to get to know each other, an okay matchup thread (which is only hurt by the lack of high level player rep)... but all of it falls through when we don't have a whole lot of constructive discussion. Hopefully we'll see it more. I love Mario boards and the personalities that we have. We just don't have cohesion, yet.

22. My favorite genre of music is hip-hop.

Top Bottom