• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: Lil Gerald!

Matt07

Smash Master
Juushichi

Juu! When are you going to beat me with your Mario!? Don't hold back either, make it a 2 stock or something. That would be super hardcore.
Hopefully, really soon. Don't really have an immediate timetable. Somehow, I'm still getting better at a good pace: IE, my placing's gotten better with just about each tournament, but I still end up running into the same people I lose to all the time. (See: AZ, Blue Rouge, Mr. E) Looking forward to seeing both you and Caleb and showing you all how I've improved.

How do you pronouce Juushichi?
You pronounce it "Joo-she-ichi", though a lot of people have given up and just called me Juu. Which is also fine. I do play wifi when I'm at home, but unfortunately I'm at school and don't really have the time on this faster pace. I would love to play everyone when I get a chance to.

also why havent i heard of u b4?
Well, there's a couple of reasons... probably. First off, I'm relatively new to the competitive tournament Smash scene (Since ~ November) and didn't start off maining Mario. I danced around from Pit to Toon Link to like Kirby while playing Mario just for fun. Also, I'm from the Midwest (Ohio) and I'm just barely placing at about intermediate level. Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to place there. Granted, I've only been to like six tournaments.

Are you going to APEX?
Unfortunately, no. I don't have the funds or the time away from school to travel like that... as much as I would like to.

Why did you main Mario?
I main Mario because... I dunno, I guess he fits my play style. It's kind of cool how many options that I think he has for a lot of situations, though overall they're not great options. I like playing balanced characters and he's more appealing than playing other characters. I've tried higher tiered characters and didn't like them and I can play a lot of mid-tiers sort of decently, but they don't make me want to play them like I want to play Mario.

Can I call you "Juice"?
Sure?

What is it like living in Ohio? (smash scene wise)
Obviously, I'm very biased about my region but I have nothing but positive things to say about the scene here in Ohio. There are tons of players in any given part of the state (Northeast - NEOH, Northwest - NWOH [lol], Central - Columbus/etc [which is where I'm from], Southwest - Cincinnati/upper Kentucky and Southeast - OUGA [Ohio University, mostly]). There is a lot of character variation from the best of our players to the lesser known and everyone is chill with each other, for the most part. That even bleeds over to states like Indiana and Kentucky who constantly come in state for tourneys as well. The tourneys are pretty competitive, but still have a pretty casual feel to them, which is something I love about the region.

what is it like knowing Ohio doesn't really **** talk at all ?
favorite mario texture (the ones that came with the game)?
My favorite hands down is Fire Mario. He just looks so cool. I've been playing more with various colors, though.

what is it like knowing Ohio doesn't really **** talk at all ?
I like it, truth be told. I think it's born a bit from the fact that a lot of regions think that the Midwest is trash and that the liberal stage list does... something to the legitimacy of our playing and just the midwest feel in general. The MW is a very chill, homely area for the most part. We prefer to just show what we can do and have fun, while also generating a lot of hype (ex. GOD KAIS!)

how many games do you own with Mario in it, and can you name all of them?
Currently? Brawl, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Kart DS (because I only own a Wii and DS). In the past, just about all of them at one point.

Basics: Hm... it's a three way tie between Jab/Ftilt/Utilt
Aerials: Fair, lol. (Most used is Uair and Dair)
Special: Fireball
Smashes: Up-smash!
Throws: I love Back Throw, lol.
Taunt: Side taunt, where he removes his hat and spins.
Victory pose: The SH uppercut and then he poses like he's a bodybuilder or something, lol.
Favorite character to beat down on? Diddy Kong. Fighting Diddy's are so much fun!

Favorite texture hack?
Favorite texture hack? Master Higgins! (Blaine and Flint are close!)

What must I do to become a man?
Well, Cale, you're well on your way, however I would suggest you follow the three examples below:
Ichi!
Ni!
San!

These will let you know everything you need.

favorite anime/manga?
Currently, my favorite anime is Gintama. My favorite manga... is probably Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei, which is where my sig/av set is from, is up there pretty close too.

Why Mario? You didn't start out as Mario, so what made you decide to main him?
You know? I can't even say for sure myself, why I play Mario. I just like playing him a lot. He's fun and I guess I'm a bit of a masochist, lol. Gotta earn my kills and wins the hard way. I guess I'm weird like that.

Favorite people to play?
My favorite people to play? I love playing against Links24. We have a running joke about "being flashy" whenever we play. Not only do we compete with each other (I'm not afraid to admit that he's better than me... for now) but we also do it while doing the coolest **** possible while competing. It's always really fun. I doubt anyone knows him, but I also like playing against my friend whose tag is SoulPech. He's a Jigglypuff main who I used to go to school with and play a whole lot, we go back and forth and used to **** pretty well on the semi-competitive (that is, non SWF) scene. Both of us have gotten a whole lot better.
In terms of a group (or region, I guess, lol), the most fun I have playing against people are against the INKY crew. Today, Hilt, Crash, Joey, Composer and all those familiar faces.

Favorite match-up to play?
This question's a little tricky. I would like to say Diddy, because that's a matchup that's never been particularly annoying to me and it showcases some of Mario's abilities to handle certain styles of play... but I would have to say my favorite matchup is: Toon Link.
Both characters can be *****es in terms of camping, but I guess I don't notice it as much when I'm playing. Projectiles are flying around, spacing is really key and both characters have rather short melee ranges. It's one of those match-ups that gets my blood pumping, everything is so up tempo and you really have to think on your feet. My few matches against Quivo are a bit of the reason.

Do you think you will Main mario if they make another SSB?
Yeah, I think I would main Mario in the next SSB game. I already main him or play him heavily in every incarnation. He's also my main in Brawl+ and Brawl- (he will be in Project: M, too).

favorite genre of music?
My favorite genre of music is hip-hop.

Juu, how do you feel about the current state of the Mario boards?
I feel like they're not as active as they should be. I don't really know why. A lot of people play Mario, especially in Low Tiers and the like, but not a lot of them main Mario. There just isn't a whole lot of turnover and there isn't a lot of general interest. If you really look at it, we have a lot of tools:

We've got a great guide, we generally all know of each other, an interview thread to get to know each other, an okay matchup thread (which is only hurt by the lack of high level player rep)... but all of it falls through when we don't have a whole lot of constructive discussion. Hopefully we'll see it more. I love Mario boards and the personalities that we have. We just don't have cohesion, yet.

I'm pretty new to hip-hop, but I'm interested in getting into it. Who are your favorite hip-hop artists, and who would you recommend?
Hm... I really like MF Doom, CYNE, Nujabes, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, and Lupe Fiasco. Currently, for some reason... I'm listening to Wiz Kalifa. I would recommend them all, but I'd start with CYNE, Cudi and Lupe.

What's your best attribute with Mario?
My best attribute with Mario? Adaptability, I guess. I always look to try new stuff and implement it into my game. Mario's kind of good for that.

What do you think something you can do too improve your Mario?
Primarily? I think to improve my Mario, I need a lot of experience. I've been to seven tournaments, all of them in state. I still haven't played a lot of people. I've got a lot to learn.

What's something that makes your Mario unique?
What do I think makes my Mario unique? I've played a lot of characters, so I think the fact that I've tried a lot of things out helps my Mario.

Favourite genre of movie?
Action!

If Xero made a Mario Power Rankings, where would you put yourself and why?
If Xero made a Mario Power Ranking? Is this for active Mario mains? I dunno, maybe somewhere between 7-10. For people included that don't play him anymore, I don't know if I'm even HM.

can you make this forum less nooby?
I'll definitely try to add to the board in experienced ways and help out when I can, but I dunno. The "nooby" side of the Mario boards is fine too, to an extent, since I think we need both to be run awesomely.

and do you know the psychological aspect of competitive smash?
Hm... I can't say I know exactly what you mean by "the pychological aspect of smash", but I'll give a shot at it anyway: I think that that aspect is one of the most important aspects of playing smash, like any particularly intrinsic competition. Experience, the tools you're working with and reaction time are all important things, but if you lack what I'm going to generically call "the killer instinct", you're still going to struggle. It's that intangible thing that allows you to land that kill move, position yourself right and take advantage in the clutch that brings home wins. Doesn't matter your playstyle, you could want to blitz straight through someone, hang back and pick spots or whatever, if you have that instinct honed, it'll help you.

There's also confidence, ability to think outside the box, and a short memory. Especially with Mario, you're going to struggle in just about any match up pairing (on paper) you've got. Our plumber's got a lot of tools, most of which are pretty average, but the plus side of those tools is that you can still use them all. You gotta be able and willing to try stuff a different way and have the confidence to keep at it. Also gotta have a short memory when you fail, lol.

if i teach you all my knowledge i have of on my mario will you countinue vato_break's mario legacy?
Something like that, yeah. I'll try to be making my own Mario legacy, but it's not like I'll forget who helped me when I needed it. I give credit where credit is due. I also like reppin' the Wario Mario, so there's a plus.

Juu, who's the most inspirational mario main, and brawl player?
Boss is the most inspirational Mario player for me and overall the most inspirational (whether from positive or negative) has to be M2K. He's the best for a reason, even if I don't agree with him on certain things.

do you know what your next major tourney is going to be
I have no idea, really. I can't make it to APEX and MLG: NC is more than a stretch than APEX. If there's another MW national soon, I'll try to make it to that. However, I still don't know. I'll be sticking it mostly to the "tristate" of IN, OH, KY.

how often do you use mario's F.L.U.D.D?
Not as often as I should, actually. It's a great tool that I haven't quite worked into my game. It's gotten there somewhat... but not really. Still needs to be implemented in.

do you think vato will teach me all of his cool tricks so i can carry his legacy?
Yes, I think he would.

And Juu, how do you play Mario? aggro? campy?
A mix of both. In matchups I'm confident in, I'll play kind of aggressive. Passive aggressive, I suppose. In unfamiliar matchups, I will camp the hell out of you. I like the hybrid, passive aggressive style.

do you know how to fludd charge cancel to upsmash/upb?
Unfortunately, I don't know how to cancel FLUDD into U-Smash and Up-B. Someone should
defi teach me, though.

How did you get into Zetsubou Sensei?
Well, I was looking around at the list of anime that were going to be released at that time (unfortunately, I don't remember the season... I think the year was '08?) and it was one of the series that caught my eye. Typically, I'll go through the list of anime of a particular season (say Summer '10) and look at series' premise to see if I want to watch them (say Gakuen Occult from Summer '10) and I'll watch it. Zetsubou-sensei got me with a quirky opening, interesting characters and animation production along side an awesome OP/ED set... in every season.

Are you proud to be a Journeyman?
Not... really. It just means that I spend a lot of time on here making posts, I guess.

Are we [boy]friends?
What? o_o

NNID
LilG912
15. Covering up their MUs problems, having one of the best projectiles in the game, Falco would be a sexy secondary for Mario/Luigi. No homo. Pfft.... the bird can CG almost the whole roster...

16. Real Life Accomplishment, graduated out of high school. Smash Accomplishments is uh 2 stocking on B0 x7's Mario in Mario dittos despite that he beat me in that set and beating YoshQ in Luigi dittos for revenge to be even, those are wifi accomplishments to me.

NNID
LilG912
17. For brawl, I used Mario for since the game came out and I used Luigi for 9 months. I dropped Luigi in Fall 2008 b/c I thought I can do better with Mario by myself after seeing Boss and other Mario players on Youtube and I picked Luigi back up in December 2009 cuz I want my Luigi to be better than my Mario, ppl still saying my Mario > my Luigi. I did ok in Spring Ladders w/ Luigi. I mostly used him while sidemaining Snake and used Mario for low tiers. 65-13 w/ 1633 pts.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Lil'G will you play me on wifi? :)

Also, HOLY**** KirinBlaze hasn't been interviewed yet?!? He needs to be interviewed!
Firemario too!

NNID
LilG912
18. Contact me on AIB, I'll do it.

19. Click your picture/avatar, on the left side of the page, u'll see "Your Control Panel", look for edit signature, click edit signature, copy and paste the picture url u want for your sig from any site,
, click save signature, and your sig should appear.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Lil G, have you ever thought of dropping Mario/Luigi for a better character because there were just some characters you can't beat due to bad match-ups, or because the character is just overall much better? (MK, Snake)

NNID
LilG912
22. I had thoughts of dropping Mario for Luigi, but I didn't do it. I did have some thoughts of dropping Luigi, if I dropped Luigi, I would main G&W. I couldn't main MK or Snake after all hard work I put into training the bros, but I do SIDEMAIN Snake so I can just fight off MK players. I can handle MUs w/ Mario and Luigi except MK and Olimar.

BSP

Smash Legend
22. I had thoughts of dropping Mario for Luigi, but I didn't do it. I did have some thoughts of dropping Luigi, if I dropped Luigi, I would main G&W. I couldn't main MK or Snake after all hard work I put into training the bros, but I do SIDEMAIN Snake so I can just fight off MK players. I can handle MUs w/ Mario and Luigi except MK and Olimar.
Don't drop a character that gets ***** by MK then pick up another character that gets ***** by MK. :(

Top Bottom